5

Masquerade Mystery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"...And he was like I didn't do it!" Donghae laughed as he finished one of his many stories.

The two decided to eat at a little diner down the street. He finished the last sip of his green tea before looking at Jessica waiting for a response.

"Mhmm..." She mumbled. Jessica twirled her straw between her fingers as she looked out the window watching the cars drive by.

"Hey, are you ok? Did something happen? You've been acting that way for a while now..."

"Uhm, yeah. It' nothing." She spoke softly looking into his dark brown eyes. "I'm just a little tired." Jessica lied.

"Oh, really? My bad. Then you should probably get some rest." He slid off the chair and pulled out his wallet. The boy took what amount he needed and placed it on the tab.

Jessica took her bag and walked out of the restaurant as Donghae quickly opened the door.

Most of the walk back to her apartment was silent. He shared a couple more stories as she tried to listen attentively before tuning him out for probably the hundredth time.

They approached her door and he gave her a genuine smile.

"Thanks for walking me home." Jessica said. "I'll see you at seven."

"Yeah. See you at seven." Donghae waved goodbye before descending the stairs.

-----------------------------------

Jessica unlocked the door and entered her cozy apartment.

"Yul, I’m home."  She set her jacket on the coat rack and looked around the quiet room. No one was there besides her.

She took a seat in the couch feeling a pang of guilt cross her chest as she recalled cancelling on her lunch date with the girl. 'I shouldn't have done that.' That was all Jessica could think about as she ate lunch with Donghae. She felt as though Yuri and her were growing apart slowly. They didn't really have any other classes together aside from English and Math.

She slowly stood up from her seat to change into more comfortable clothes.  She decided to approach Yuri's room. Jessica peeked through checking if a certain someone might pop out to scare her. She quickly opened the closet just to make sure. To her luck it was vacant. 'Phew' she was safe, for now.

Jessica looked around surprised to see that it was pretty neat. A few magazines were scattered on her desktop, but aside from that everything else seemed to be in place.

She sat on Yuri's bed and slowly fell back, feeling the soft mattress supporting her body. The auburn haired girl closed her eyes as she inhaled the familiar scent of her best friend.

She turned to her side and opened her eyes as she focused on a picture of her and Yuri during their younger days.

Back then they were so free spirited, it felt like anything was possible. She mulled over what they planned to do when they got older - travel the world, meet different people, start a group with their friends. She smiled faintly at one of their accomplishments.

Jessica realized that things are always susceptible to change - the world, plans, even people. 'I hope things don't change between us...' She trailed off as she looked at the picture and slowly drift away to the dreamland.

------------------------------------

Jessica turned several times in her sleep before a warm sensation emanated from her back. She turned her body surprised to see Yuri lying down staring at her.

"Boo!"

"..."

Jessica froze with fear before quickly snapping out of it landing a hard whack on the girl's head.

"Ow!" The younger one massaged her new bump. "What was that for?"

"..." Jessica sat up and looked directly at Yuri. "That was for earlier, you forgot to tell me that class was canceled."

"...hehe, yeah. I guess I deserved that..." She gave a little laugh and sat up as well. "So, how was your little lunch date with Donghae?"

"It wasn't anything special." Jessica blandly spoke.

"Oh really?" Yuri started poking the girl's waist. "Tell me everything!"

"We just talked a bit, that's all."

"Oh come on Jessica, what did he talk about specifically? Did he ask you to be his girlfriend yet?" Yuri pried.

"N-No! Why would you think that?" Jessica blushed at her friend's remark.

"Because I’m pretty sure he likes you..." She sat back with her arms supporting her body.

"..."

"Well, if he did ask you, would you go out with him?" Yuri’s eyes looked down at her feet.

"...I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

Yuri looked at Jessica's long, auburn hair from behind.

"..." Jessica looked down at the floor "I don't even know him that well yet."

"Oh, ok." Yuri exhaled deeply.

The older one sat up from the bed and stretched her body. Her t-shirt slowly lifted exposing a portion of her back.

Yuri bit her lip hard as she examined what she could. Her heart skipped a beat.

Jessica turned towards her friend who she noticed was blushing. "Are you ok?" She tilted her head with curiosity.

"I-I'm fine.” She looked at Jessica and sat upright giving her a thumbs up.

"Ok." She fixed her t-shirt and started walking out. "Get ready for practice now."

Yuri looked at her bedside clock -

2:38 P.M.

She left her bed and picked out a black jacket from her closet.

---------------------------------

The last beat from the stereo echoed across the decorated gymnasium.

"Good job everyone." Jessica turned to face her friends.

Yoona gave her a smile and Tiffany wiped her brow. Yuri stood up drank from her nearly empty water bottle. All the girls exited the stage.

"That was great!" Taeyeon greeted the performers as they left the stage.

"Thanks Taetae!" Tiffany hugged the girl tightly.

Taeyeon struggled against Tiffany's suffocating embrace.

Jessica, Yoona, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Sunny, Seohyun, and Yuri looked at the two with amused expressions on their faces.

"Oh!" Yoona spoke aloud, "we should get ready for the dance now."

All the girls nodded in agreement. They planned to get ready together at Jessica and Yuri's apartment.

The group of girls took their belongings and left the auditorium with a look of satisfaction and excitement.

------------------------------

"Ouch!" Tiffany exclaimed as she burnt her finger with the curling iron.

"Fany!" Taeyeon ran to her aid and helped her with the equipment.

"You need to be more careful." She fixed her hair and twirled it properly.

"I know. I'm just really excited about the dance." She looked at herself dreamily in the mirror.

Yoona finished fixing everyone’s hair and stepped back to observe her masterpieces.

Jessica’s auburn colored hair was twirled neatly as it fell on her chest.

"It looks great!" Jessica happily thanked her friend.

Yuri stepped out of the shower as her hand rummaged her hair with a towel.

"What do you think Yuri?" Yoona asked her friend with a smile.

Yuri stopped in her tracks and took a glance at her best friend who looked even more beautiful tonight.

"Y-You look..." 'Beautiful', "pretty." She managed.

"Thanks." Jessica smiled at Yuri. Yoona carefully watched their reactions before turning to her dress.

Yuri quickly disappeared into her room. She leaned back against her door her heart beat skyrocketing against her chest. 'Control yourself.' She mentally noted and took deep breaths before continuing to dry off her hair.

------------------------------------

It was almost seven when all of the girls were ready.

Jessica wore a white dress, Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter