The Soul

Papers and Deadlines

PART 1: PAPERS

In life, we are all provided with certain deadlines. They could be given by your professor at school, your boss from work, or even the highest and most important deadline in life--Death. In order to make sure that I will not forget such deadlines, I developed a habit of writing all of the things that I should do in papers. Crossing out the things done, putting some remarks, or even put some exact time on them. However, deadlines in schools or from work, are deadlines that you can foresee when they’re given to you. But when it comes to our life, there is no exact date of deadline, we cannot predict what will happen a minute after doing something, an hour, tomorrow, a year, and the list goes on.

I do not actually want to be the person that is very preoccupied about Death, but in order to make sure that I will live my life to the fullest, I have prepared the things that I want to do before I meet my deadline in life in a special paper I call “Vivre Card”. Things like buying a vinyl record of my most favorite band, donating some of my own money to the needy ones, learning Wushu, and the list goes on. Currently, I just crossed out the second-to-the-last thing in my Vivre Card, and that is “Attend and finish college!”. Well, I haven’t graduated yet, but I’m almost out of college a few months from now so I can confidently cross this out.

Of course, when you’re considered as an outstanding student, president of the class, teachers’ favorite, and adored by almost everyone in the school, you must have the confidence of getting through college. No? Okay, I’m sorry that was a bit narcissistic. I really don’t know how to put humor sometimes. Whenever I try to, it will sound so pushed that people will not appreciate it. But when I am not trying, some people will just laugh. I guess some things in life just like humor are like that; they just come off naturally.

As I looked at my Vivre Card, I heard a familiar voice calling my name.“TaoTao!”

It must be my loyal companion. No, he’s not a dog. His name is Oh Sehun. You can say he is my best friend but he doesn’t like that term apparently. The reason? He just doesn’t like to categorize friends. He said to me one time that if you consider someone a best friend, how can you stand and say that in front of your friend. What are your ordinary friends are for if you will have a best friend. I know it’s a rather complicated mindset but I just let him believe in that. After all, I consider myself as an open-minded person.

“That again?” He looked at my Vivre Card as he approached me.

“Ya! Look! I’m almost done!” I proudly showed to him my almost complete bucket list.

“Oh! So what’s your plan for the last one?” He smirked as he joined me in the campus shed.

I know that smile. Sehun knows what my last mission in my Vivre Card is and he thinks it’s completely absurd. I looked down on my Vivre Card and stared at the remaining mission on it: To save a human soul. Please don’t laugh, I know it’s a little out of the blue. I have my own reasons why I wrote this down. I actually wanted it to be done earlier but when I wrote it I was left in the middle of vagueness; I don’t know how to save a human soul!

“Ha! I knew it!” I almost jumped when Sehun exclaimed near my ear. “You still don’t know how to do that thing.” He then mocked me.

“Tao, I hope you’re not pushing yourself too much.” Yixing another student from our class commented as he entered the shed.

“Quit it Sehun! I know how I’m going to do this okay?” I glared at him and now both Yixing and him laughed out loud. I might be crazy thinking to put saving a human soul as a mission in my card. But still, I know that I can do it somehow; I just need the right person to save.

Then the two started talking about some final preparations for their research when I heard a loud roar of machine. I turned my head to find out where is the noise coming from and it turned out to be from a motorcycle. From the looks of it, the driver must be a student to be able to enter the school with ease. The motorcycle boasts of a nice paint job of jet black with accents of white tribal designs that look like scorpions.

“Wow! Now that’s what I call an ‘entrance’.” Yixing exclaimed as he stood up and tried to get a better view of the motorcycle.

Then, the driver who was wearing a tight leather jeans and jacket alighted from the vehicle and removed his helmet. Upon this act, it revealed a tall guy, with a hair color of blonde that’s loud enough to attract everyone’s attention (as if his entrance did not get that attention), with strong physique and facial features; And a fierce facial expression that made him look like he’s going to snap all the time.

“Hey, is that the black sheep of this school?” Sehun said. And as soon as he finished his sentence, it was as if the guy heard what he said. He looked to our direction and flashed his ferocious facial expression.

“I think he heard you.” Yixing said nervously.

“I don’t think so.” I said calmly while trying to observe the guy. “What do you mean by black sheep?” I asked as I turned to Sehun. Thankfully the guy attended to his motorcycle and it looks like he’s ensuring its safety.

“Well, not that because he’s wearing all black.” Sehun tried a joke as we returned to our seats. “I guess that did not work. Anyway, because I heard from this third year student that that student, is on the brink of expulsion from our school for having been a hardheaded student. And by hardheaded, it means he violated a whole lot of school policies.”

“Well, I can see that.” Yixing said as he meant for his hair dye.

The black sheep student begun to walk towards the halls and it looks like he’s going to the guidance office. I don’t actually buy this ‘black sheep’ thing. I know that behind every ‘bad’ person, there’s this goodness. Or I don’t know, it’s just I know that some people who look or appear to be bad today used to be the people that were so good and kind yesterday. And if that student is one of those people, I think he just needs some help. Wait--HELP! That’s it! I think I know who will be the subject of my final mission of saving a human soul! I stood up with vigor that made the two back off.

“Tao, what’s the matter?” Yixing asked as he looked up at me.

“Guys, I think I’ll be out for a while.” I said and wore a bright smile.

“Hey, I think I know what you’re thinking!” Sehun said and he stood up as well. “I hope you’re not thinking about the Vivre Card and that student?” There are reasons why Sehun is my best friend; and one of them is how he often knows what I’m thinking.

“You really are my bestfriend.” I smiled as I gave his cheek a tap. “See ya guys! Got some scouting to do!”

In all honesty, I don’t know what will I do. But if this student is that one that can help me fulfill my mission, then I ought to approach him right now. I looked up at the sky before entering the halls. The sky always gives me hope when I need it. And now, I hope that I am making the right decision. I hope that this black sheep student is the one that I can help. The one whose soul I will be saving.

* * * * *

Skipping classes is not really my thing and I can’t believe I am doing it right now. I am standing behind one of the big pillars of the hall where the Guidance Office of our school is located. I don’t know if I really can get something from this, but I really ought to try. Actually, I can make my life easier by just entering the office and try to ask what’s the problem. I’m sure it won’t be hard because I used to work for the Guidance Office during my previous years in the university. Then, after a few more minutes, I heard the knob of the office and the black sheep student emerged from it. I waited until he had gone far enough, then I went inside the office. There, I found Dr. Lao, our school’s guidance counselor fixing some papers.

“Oh! What a surprise Mr. Huang! Please have a seat.” He gestured as he stored the papers. He then removed his eyeglasses and sat in his chair in a very relaxed and at home posture. “So, what brings you here Mr. Huang?”

I do not want to stay in the office for so long so I decided to be straightforward this time. “It’s about the student that was just in here Sir.”

“Oh Mr. Wu. Yes, yes. What about him?” He looked at me in a very curious look manner.

“W-well. I was just hearing things about him and he did make quite a scene awhile ago that triggered my curiosity.” I smiled a little and hoped that he did not see through me.

“Mr. Wu is a junior student from the Engineering Department.” Engineering Department?! It was quite a shock for me but I remember that looks aren’t everything and I should not judge him anymore just because of it. Dr. Lao must have noticed the shock in me that he gave a loud laugh that I’m sure anyone who’s passing by the hall can hear it. “I know that feeling Mr. Huang.”

“But if he’s from the engineering department he must have the brains for it. Then why is he being considered a black sheep of this school?” From that moment I knew I said too much for Dr. Lao looked a little confused and astonished.

“So, the term of the students is black sheep. I suppose the words are out that he will be expelled from the school soon?” He then put on his eyeglasses now.

“Y-yes, that’s what I heard sir.” I said.

“You see, he is not really that type of student when he entered this university. But, after an incident, which I cannot share to you Mr. Huang due to confidentiality purposes, he changed. I don’t know why but he is the one requesting for expulsion. He’s basically asking for it from his professors!” That gave me quite a shock. A student who’s asking to be dropped and expelled from the school definitely has problems inside him. “Sir, do you think there’s something that can be done for this student?”

“Why, if there is I will be glad. I know for sure that the student is in trouble. But the thing is he doesn’t want to admit it. And like in one of our lessons before, it is said that some people cannot be helped for they themselves cannot admit that they are in need of help.”

From that moment, I knew what I should do. I bolted up and went straight for the door, but before I was completely out, I said to Dr. Lao, “Please, prolong his expulsion. I will try whatever help this student needs.” Then I was out of the guidance office and was running towards the parking lot.

 

From afar, I saw him preparing to to ride his motorcycle and I know that if I’m going to approach him, it will be too late. I ran faster and I heard the engine roar, he set off and then I did one of the most desperate things in my life; I stood in the middle of the road, making him to abruptly hit the brake of his motorcycle.

That was intense, for a moment I thought I was going to die soon. I noticed that he stared at me for a second and then he decided to remove his helmet. His gaze is really intimidating that I felt like he was sending me death messages through it. I took this chance and went near him.

“Wu, it’s Mr. Wu right?” I said nervously as he looked at me.

“Yes? What is it you want?” Even his voice sounded so intimidating that I felt more afraid to speak to him.

“Can I save your soul?” I almost fainted upon realizing that what I said was just so stupid. I saw his eyebrows twirl and his expression became more tensed.

“Do not waste my time on stupid jokes. Is this one of the guidance’s cheap tricks again?!” His voice is now louder and I can tell that we’re already gaining our deserved attention.

“Cheap tricks?! It’s to help someone like you!” I don’t know why I got a little angry but I noticed that my voice sounded louder than usual. Then I noticed a smirk on his face. “So, you’re going to help me? Is that it?”

“Y-yes?” Then he threw his helmet to my direction and luckily I caught it with ease. “

If you’re going to help me, then hop on.” He started the engine of his motorcycle and without even thinking, I immediately put on his helmet and sat behind him. I was about to ask where he’s taking me when we set off, with me leaving the school during class period, feeling the wind embracing my body as he pumped the gas for the acceleration, and suddenly I felt something inside me. I felt more alive than any other day in my life.

* * * * *

I never had the chance to ride a motorcycle before. And now, even though I’m riding one with a complete stranger, I feel like I have been missing a lot from my life. I also feel like I should have added this on my Vivre Card for this act certainly is something. Escaping from the harsh traffics, seeing the people and the road clearly, feeling the wind embrace you -- these are all things that can make you feel bliss. I now looked around and I really don’t have any idea where we are now. Then, as I was about to speak again, he hit the brakes without warning that I embraced him as a reflex.

“You can get off now.” He said cooly as I immediately took off my arms and alighted from the motorcycle. I instantly removed his helmet and gave him a glare.

“What is that for?” He said mockingly. “I thought you were supposed to help me?”

“Yes, but first, where are we?”

“That, I don’t want to answer.” He said with a straight face. “But hey, you said you want to save my soul right?” I felt embarrassed again after he made me remember how I said that.

“Y-yes? So what?” I said proudly.

“Now that you are in a place you don’t know, I think..” At that moment of his pause, I was hoping that he wouldn’t act like a jerk and leave me alone in what looks like a deserted area where zombies might appear out of nowhere.

“I think you should find your own soul here!” And the worst is about to happen.

“What?! Find my own soul?” I said with a high voice and he started the engine. He gave a smirk and when he was about to leave, “Oh, before I forget.” He gestured to remind me of his helmet. I threw it with an incredible force but he caught it with ease. “Good luck finding your soul now.” He said and he put on his helmet and in a matter of seconds, there was no trace of him and his motorcycle.

I let out a sigh and looked around; This is really a place I am not familiar with. I took a little walk and found out that this area is some sort of an abandoned or probably an old wharf. I walked a bit further and was surprised to see a large body of water. It’s almost sunset now that I decided to stay a bit to watch it. As I sat down and looked up at the calm sky, I suddenly felt a little lonely. Just a few moments ago, I felt so alive, now I am a little down. Could it be because of that Wu guy? Or maybe because I am disappointed that I won’t be finishing the mission in my Vivre Card anytime soon? To save a Human Soul. Is this one of the hardships before achieving such thing? I hope it would not be harder than any of this anymore for I will be afraid. Afraid that if I will meet more difficult situations compared to this in the near future just to achieve this mission, I’m afraid that I will be caught up by my deadline. And I hope not, I certainly hope not.

 

-----------------

Yay! So what are your thoughts in this fic? I will be updating this as fast as I can for I will be working soon! ;A; Anyway, please leave your thoughts below and I hope you support this fic! ^^ And also, I don't know what happened but I'm having problems with the formatting! O_O Please bear with me as I try to fix it.