First Flame

Café Capers

Love stories.

Luhan has seen plenty of them play themselves out before him within the walls of Nemo. He supposes it's only fair considering people and their romantic notions of a coffee shop. In fact he remembers the very first love story he'd witnessed. The boss and his girlfriend, back when it had been only himself, Minseok and their boss, Donghae. That was when Nemo hadn't even been known, it was just a small cafe tucked away between an apartment and a florists'. Luhan and Minseok glare at Donghae.

"Are you a man?" Asks Luhan, crossing his hand before his chest.

"What the—?!"

"Are you," shoots Minseok. Donghae flounders and emphatically nods.

"Then today is your day hyung!" Luhan grabs him around the shoulders."Today is the day. Today she walks in for coffee and walks out with a man— that's you by the way."

"What if she already has a man.....?" Pouts Donghae. Luhan shushes him.

"I'm not done with my speech! Today is the day when she walks and you wow her with your smooth words and your flawless smile— did you brush well?" Donghae glares at Luhan. "What? I was just making sure, you had better be safe than sorry. Anyway, so you're going to make her swoon and sweep her off her feet okay? You're the man hyung!! You can do it—"

"Hey isn't that her?" Asks Minseok, jerking his head head towards the door. Donghae utters a very high pitched squeak and makes for the kitchen door while Luhan grabs his collar and drags him down to the floor behind the counter. They hear Minseok say "one moment Miss, someone will be with you soon."

"Listen to me hyung!!" Hisses Luhan as they haunch behind the wooden counter, a fork almost takes Donghae's eye out as he jumps at the sound of Luhan's voice. "You're going to talk to her and you're going to do it today!!"

"I'll forget how to talk!"

"Aargh!! Fine!! Plug your earphone in! You'll seem cool, listening to music, BUUUUT I'll be the one talking to you. All you have to do is say what I say, okay?"

"And how will you know what she says?" Asks Donghae suspiciously.

"Seokkie will help with that, won't you?" Minseok's thumbs up appears behind the counter. "See, now hurry, plug in and call me!" Once the connections had been established, Luhan pats his hyung on the shoulders while the hyung in question suddenly had his throat turned into sandpaper and his IQ reduced to that of a jellyfish. "Go hyung!!" Says Luhan giving him a little push, but Donghae's body is so slack by then, he falls over and out from behind the counter, audibly enough for the girl under consideration to lift her head and give him a horrified look. Donghae brushes himself off, scrambling to her, knocking a few chairs out of the way.

"Are you okay.....?" She asks, her eyes turned wide.

"What a klutz," he hears Luhan laugh.

"I can hear you!" Hisses Donghae. The girl raises her eyebrows.

"I.... meant for you to hear it....?"

"Oh yeah... yeah..." Donghae flashes her a nervous smile."I'm fine, totally."

"Tell her you get hurt all the time while playing soccer."

"You get hurt all the time while playing soccer," repeats Donghae.

"What?"

"I— I mean I get hurt... hehe..."

"Oh... okay then... umm... what do you guys have today on the menu?"

"Ask her if she wants something hot like her."

"What the?! I can't say that!!"

"You— you can't tell me the menu...? Is it a surprise menu today." Donghae sighs internally. There goes all hopes of a date, he probably sounds like a raving lunatic by now. Luhan would pay dearly after this. But he still needed the other's help.

"Something like that.." he says.

"Okay wow me!" She beams up at him. For a moment Donghae forgets how to form words with his mouth.

"Don't just stand there!! Tell her you could wow her in so many ways~"

"YAH!!" She flinches in surprise before him. "S-sorry I mean yeah, we could cook up something..." For a while he doesn't know what else to say, in spite of wanting to say so much. She looks over the paper napkins with exceeding interest.

"Geez hyung don't just stand there, tell her— Oh. My. Holy. Gods. What the hell is that?!"

"Oh my holy gods what the hell is that...."

"What the hell is what?" She asks looking around her table in wonder.

"Get— get away from me!!!!!" Hisses Luhan.

"Get away from me....?" Donghae wonders what new tactic of wooing this is. She stares at him first and then rises, furrowed eyebrows and lips pursed.

"Look, uhh... I'll come back sometime when you're not feeling so repulsed by me," she says tartly. "I'll be leaving now." Donghae's eyes widen in horror as she picks up her coat and purse.

"Wait— no— I—"

"OH MY GOD IT'S A BEE!!!!"

Silence..... and then the whole cafe (which is not many people anyway) bursts into hellish pandemonium. Suddenly Donghae feels someone grip his waist tightly and feels a pressure on his back and he realizes that she has her head buried at his back, holding onto him for dear life. Luhan is, on the other hand, is backed up against the wall, fumbling for the door latch to the kitchen as he brandishes Minseok in front of him like a human shield all the while uttering banshee-like shrieks each time the bee moves on the counter.

"IT'S MOVING!!!! IT'S MOOOOOVING!!!!!"

"It's a bee Luhan it's SUPPOSED to move!!! Let. Me. Go. You oaf!!" Minseok tries to get out of the choke hold Luhan has him in to no avail. Some of the customers duck under tables. Donghae surveys the chaos, heart drumming from the person against his back and then yells—

"STOP IT! ALL OF YOU!"

There café quietens down to nothing but the background noise of the street outside. Donghae takes a deep breath, loosening her hands from around his waist and gently saying, "wait here, I'll be back, okay?" He walks up to the counter and grabs a plastic up, placing it over the bee as he looks over at Minseok and Luhan. "Luhan, let him go. Seok, throw this out, I think it came from the florists." He turns to the cafe. "Now if everyone could just please get back to eating, everything is okay here."

"Are you okay?" He asks her softly. She nods, as he picks up her coat and places it around her. "Can I get you something warm?" She looks into his eyes, her lips quivering a little and Donghae wants to hug her.

"No umm... I'll be going home..." His face falls as she picks up her dropped purse. "Will you be here tomorrow?"

"Y-yeah, I own this place," he laughs.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then...." She turns to go as Donghae's smile widens. Then she turns back and envelopes him in a bone crushing hug which he is too shocked to return. "Thank you! Okay. Bye." She runs off, leaving Donghae to walk back to the counter in a dragged daze.

"That's my man!!" Whoops Luhan as he claps Donghae on the back. "You got a hug and everything! Not bad~ You even saved my life from the horrid bee. I could marry you!"

"Bee....?" Echoes Donghae.

"Hey hyung, I got rid of the bee." Minseok returns, with a bright smile.

"Bee..."

"You were so cool! You were THE man! I mean did you see him Seok, all 'stop it, all of you'? She must have been— Hyung?"

"Oh my god....." Says Donghae and slips down to the floor, curling up in a fetal position.

"Hyung are you okay?!"

"Bees.... I don't like bees...."

 

Luhan snickers at the memory, watching his boss bicker playfully with his girlfriend over what the new coffee should be named. Donghae pinches her cheek after a moment and she laughs, swatting his hands away.

"Ewww... so much sugar," says Sehun, pretending to gag.

"Oh shut up, Hun," laughs Luhan, looking over at the couple again. "Don't be such a killjoy." "Too much mush for me, okay?" Luhan shakes his head as the maknae seats himself behind the cash register, texting on his phone. He sighs, looking over at Donghae share a latte. When would someone walk through the door for him?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N— there's going to be a continuation of this chapter with Kyungsoo and an OC.

Thanks for reading~