A brand new life

A time-limited life

-----

"Yejin-ah."

At my father's seriousness, I couldn't help but to gulp and nervously glance over at my mother, who was sitting besides my father. She motioned me to take a seat, so I did. I sat down nervously, wondering what all this fuss was about. What was so serious? Did I get into trouble again? 

Sitting facing my father, all the "bad" things I've been doing came hitting me in the head. I had flashbacks, and hoped to God my father haven't found out I've ditched school once or twice last month. If he did, I'd totally be dead meat! I trusted Luhan and Chen (my personal security gaurds) haven't blown me away to my father. If they did, I'd hate them, really.

"Yejin, we've got something to tell you, and we hope you'd not feel too bad about it."

My mother spoke rather calmly, as she smiled towards me. I smiled back, thinking to myself that this wasn't so bad after all. If I was really in trouble, my mother wouldn't be smiling at me like that- would she? I glanced back at my father, who faked a cough before finally opening his mouth.

"We've decided to move back into Korea." He spoke, avoiding my eyes.

When I heard my father's words, it literally felt like the whole sky collasped on me and there was no way out. I bit my lower lips and looked at my mother, and sighed when I saw that she was looking at me with eyes full of pityness. 

"For good?" I slowly opened my mouth.

"For good."

The reply I got wasn't the reply I've been wanting. With a deep sigh, I stood up and excused myself. Walking upstairs into my own bedroom, I slammed the door shut and the whole room seemed to shake due to the shock. I was already starting to tear up, as I threw myself onto my king-sized bed and burried my face into my silk-covered pillow before bawling my eyes out.

There was a knock on my bedroom door, which I assumed was my mother, but I chose to ignore it for now. I didn't have the courage to face anyone and not break down. Leaving New York to go to Korea was hard work for an eighteen year old girl. I've been living in New York for 16 years, which is like my whole life. I don't even remember Korea, though I speak and read/write Korean fluently, thanks to my mother who insisted on me learning Korean, since I was one. Now all that learning seemed to come in handy, as I'll be moving to Korea soon.

After a few hours, I finally calmed down. If this was my destiny, I was planning to face it instead of trying to avoid it like some cowards would do. What was the worst thing that could possibly happen in Korea? With a small smile, I wiped away the tears that remained on my cheeks and hoped to have a blast in Korea.

----

The V.V.I.P seats on airplanes are marvelous. I absolutely adore them! And oh, how comfortable and soft they are! I wonder how people travel for hours on an airplane on crappy, normal seats. Although I'm not spoilt, I always have to sit on the V.V.I.P seat on airplanes- always. And that's what happens whenever I go on an airplane. And this time wasn't an exception either.

I haven't slept a single second all the way from New York to (South) Korea. It was a long and uncomfortable flight, even though I sat on a V.V.I.P seat as always. It was probably because of the pressure of meeting new people here. That was going to be hard work for me.

As soon as we stepped out of the airport, gaurds dressed in black suits came up to us, and lead us to a big limo that was parked right in front of the gates. People were staring at it, as if they've never seen a limo before. Which was probably the case, because a limo isn't something you'd bee expecting at an airport gate, right?

With a quick glance at the sky, I was half forced to get in the limo. When I got inside, I sighed and took off my jacket I've been wearing for hours. I tied my hair back, and the AC to max. It was so hot! Grabbing a can of 'Mountain dew' from the fridge, I gulped it down and wiped away the yellowish liquid that was left on the sides of my mouth. As I took a sip from 'Mountain dew', I glanced over at the unfamiliar man sitting in front of me, wearing a neat black suit. Our eyes met, and he smiled at me. 

"Hello, you can call me Mr Kim from now on. I'll be your personal assistant."

"I'm Baek Yejin."

I studied my personal assistant from top to bottom, scanning him carefully. He seemed friendly, and I think I kind of like him already. He always had a smile on his face, and he seemed to be in his early 30's, which is rather a young age to be working as somebody's personal assistant. I smiled back at him, thinking I'll treat him well with respect because he deserves to be treated like that.

Even before I knew it, I was already dozing off. I was probably exhausted thanks to the flight all the way from New York to Korea. It was a pretty long way for a seventeen year old girl to travel without sleeping, you know? As I let go of my nervousness, sleepiness seemed to take its place almost immidiately and I soon fell asleep.

-----

"Yejin-ah!"

"Wake up."

"Yejin-ah?"

At the sound of my name and somebody shaking my body gently. I opened my eyes, and saw my mother's face looking down at me. When she saw me opening my eyes, she beamed and ruffled my hair a little. 

"Did you sleep well? You must have been exhausted." She said softly.

"Well...." I replied, smiling. "I haven't slept on the plane at all. I guess I was sleepy."

"Mhm, we're here now, Yejin-ah! We're finally here!" My mother exclaimed, wrapping her arm around me.

That was when I finally looked up to see where we were. In front of me, there stood an enormous white house which was very luxrious. I grinned in delight, and realized this house was much bigger than the house we lived in New York. I was staring at the house with my mouth half-opened, before my father came up to me.

"Do you like it? It's our new home." He said.

"I love it! It's even better than our house in New York." I said happily.

With a smile, my father patted me on my head as if I was his puppy. "I'm glad our princess likes it." 

At my father's cheesiness, I almost wanted to grab a shovel and dig myself a hole, then go in there and rot away forever. 'Princess' was a nickname my father used to call me when I was little and when my dream was to become a fairy princess of Barbie land. (Stupid, I know, but I was only six!) And he still sometimes calls me his 'princess', which never fail to somehow embarrass me.

As soon as he called me 'our princess', I nervously looked around the surroundings and was relieved to find out it was only our family. I glared at my dad, shooting him lazers with my eyes. But he only chuckled and ruffled my hair. 

"What are we waiting for?" My mother said, grabbing her luggage. "Let's go inside."

"And we shall." My father agreed.

I went over to my own luggage and dragged it into our new house. When I got inside, I was simply shocked, amazed, and delighted. This house was like, perfect! It was a three-story house, and it was... huge. I left my luggage and went over to a big window, learning we had two pools- one for adults and one for children. There was also a bar located right next to the adult's pool, which was probably used for pool parties. When I went upstairs to my bedroom (which was also enormous and perfect,) I saw I had my own jacuzzi right inside my bedroom! How wonderful is that?

I literally screamed and jumped up and down in delight. This was just so amazing! This could be my dream house, except it was reality now. This was one moment where I feel very happy and proud for being ranked number 0. Our group, BY group, was simply outstanding and I realized how much my father had done to achieve this. With a happy sigh, I dived into my new bed which could fit around 10 adults. And I was using it all by myself! 

Leaving New York wasn't so bad after all. I could just start a brand new life here, with new friends, schools, teachers, and so on. Although I do miss my life back in New York, I chose to accept the reality and just go with the flow. 

 

And just like that, my brand new life in Korea was starting.

------