14

Tick Tock, Watch The Clock
Play Listen & Read
 
 
The bedroom door appeared before me, with it's tall white panels and silvery handle, I gently opened it to reassure myself that the only people or beings in this house were us four. This was were my paranoia ignites. 
Inch by inch, my whole body stood within the door frame, peeking to witness any strange or sudden, odd behavior that will partake. Goosebumps had already raided my skin, I was now very aware of them of how they accompanied my rattling structure.  
"What you said out there, is it really true?" I whipped around to confront him, the guy with all my answers. 
He hesitated, evident in the way he rubbed the back of his neck anxiously and how his eyes weren't focusing on mine. He didn't want me to hear the truth, about his past, about the present now and what's happening. 
"Tell me!" I shrieked, my hands now balls of fists clutching onto the material of his clothing. I became more impatient as the time raced against the clock's hand. "As much as you don't want to tell me, I want to know the truth. Why were those men attacking you? What did you do to deserve that?" 
"I-I.. Mia, I can't tell you," he stammered. "If I could, I would but I'm just trying to protect you. Please don't ask anymore questions pertaining to my life, past, present, or future. It's for your safety." 
"Why?!" I began thrashing against him. This feeling of not being answered, being ignored and laughed at all my life, surfaced. How unable was I to not obtain this information? All this time, I wasn't trusting myself to grasp control, to be myself, but I was placing trust and loyalty in the wrong people. People like him who shut me out of their history, completely abandoned on the side of the road like a hopeless hitchhiker. 
I didn't realize I was crying until my balled hands rubbed my eyes in frustration. My life wasn't falling apart but it sure as hell felt like it. 
"Mia," He started by attempting to grip my shoulders but I shrugged him away. "Please, don't act this way." 
"Leave me alone," was my final statement before I slammed the door, and securely locking it; to prevent him from entering and pestering me any more. We were now separated, him in the hallway and me in the bedroom, he could probably still hear my sobbing, my internal screaming. 
Banging against the door, jerking the doorknob, kicking the door, shouting my name repeatedly, it was all drowned out. I dropped to my feet, sitting on the carpeted floor with my throbbing head in my hands.
"Mia," his voice was more collected. "Mia, listen to me. I will tell you everything but I can't now. If I tell you, they could use it against me." 
"So you think I would just betray you like that?" I spoke through crashing waves of the ocean, filling my mouth with saltwater and floating me away from myself. 
There was no reply, proving my point exactly. He actually wondered if I would throw him under the bus, rat him out, he doesn't trust me. I was in love with a liar.