Chapter 8

Kidnapped (hiatus)

Myungsoo felt stupid for looking forward to walking into Sungyeol's room. He had brought all of the chopped vegetables in a plastic bag, and his hand was currently on the door handle after having unlocked all of the locks. Though he tried not to think too much about it, he hoped Sungyeol would be happy when he entered. He wanted the other to smile at him and greet him in a friendly manner, like they were friends who hadn't seen each other in a while. 

Pabo. Don't expect something so unreasonable. 

Myungsoo opened the door and walked into the room, turning to close it as he came inside. 

"Myungsoo!" Sungyeol exclaimed excitedly from behind him, startling Myungsoo so much that he dropped the plastic bag he was carrying. 

"H-huh?" Myungsoo stuttered, picking up the bag from the floor. He swiveled around, and the first thing he saw was Sungyeol waving at him with a grin plastered on his face. It looked like he had been waiting for Myungsoo to arrive. 

But he doesn't have much else to do, Myungsoo reminded himself. He's probably lonely here by himself, after all. 

"Hi," Myungsoo said, awkwardly returning the wave.

"You're finally here," Sungyeol pouted. "I was starting to think you'd left me here to rot."

"Of course not!" Myungsoo exclaimed, flabbergasted by the thought. 

"Kidding!" Sungyeol laughed. "I know you wouldn't do such a thing."

And with just that one sentence, Sungyeol managed to make Myungsoo's chest constrict, and there was nothing for Myungsoo to do but stare at the other, too surprised to speak. 

"What is it?" Sungyeol asked, looking puzzled. 

"How do you know I wouldn't do it?"

"Do what?"

"Leave you to rot."

"Because you're not that heartless."

I'm not that heartless? Myungsoo's thoughts echoed in wonder. "How do you know?"

"I just know," Sungyeol informed with finality. 

Myungsoo wanted to smile, but he couldn't quite manage to do it. 

"Sooo... are we ever gonna eat those tacos, or what?" Sungyeol retorted, nodding at the bag in Myungsoo's hand. 

"Oh... yeah. I forgot."

"I could tell."

"Here," Myungsoo said, offering the bag to Sungyeol.

"Why are you giving it to me?" Sungyeol asked sceptically. 

"I don't know how to make it, obviously."

"But did you do everything I told you to?"

"I chopped the vegetables."

"And what about the meat? Did you fry it? And add the spice?"

"Yeah... I don't know if I did it the right way though..." Myungsoo sheepishly admitted. 

"Well, let's find out then!" 

-

"You're right. You did not do it the right way," Sungyeol agreed, making a face as he tasted the meat. "Eugh, this is way salty. What did you put in it, like a bucket of salt or something?"

"I don't exactly remember.." Myungsoo confessed, scratching the back of his head. 

"You're impossible," Sungyeol said, smiling discreetly. "You could never be a shef, that's for sure."

"Wasn't planning on it either," Myungsoo replied. "And it's not like making good food makes you a better person."

"At least now we both know you at making tacos," Sungyeol commented, nodding as if he had finally understood something important. 

"Fine, I at it. Happy?" Myungsoo grumbled. 

"Totally," Sungyeol giggled. "I get to see your 'offended face', which is eighty-two times better than eating tacos."

"Why eighty-two?" Myungsoo inquired, extremely confused. 

"I don't know. I just felt like saying eighty-two," Sungyeol shrugged. 

"You're so weird."

"Like you're any better."

"At least I don't get the urge to say the word eighty-two."

"Eighty-two is a very great number, for your information," Sungyeol sniffed. 

"Oh, really? And why so?" Myungsoo asked, raising his eyebrow. 

"Because I said so," Sungyeol replied indignantly. 

"Choding," Myungsoo snickered. 

"Food-spoiler," Sungyeol shot back. 

"..." Myungsoo opened his mouth, but he could think of nothing smart or witty to say in reply. 

"Ha-ha, got you!" Sungyeol exclaimed gleefully. "I win!"

"Whatever," Myungsoo mumbled, pretending like he was upset about losing to the other, though he secretly liked it because it made Sungyeol so happy.

"That's what the losers say," Sungyeol informed happily. "And you know what that makes you? A loooseeer."

"Seriously. You're surprisingly childish," Myungsoo commented, quite liking Sungyeol's hidden personality. 

"So what? Kids have more fun."

"Isn't it supposed to be 'girls have more fun'?"

"Whatever."

"You know you just made yourself a loser, right?"

"Huh?"

"You said whatever."

"I did not!"

"You can't undo what has already been done."

"I didn't!"

"Now you're a loser and a liar."

"Am not!"

"Suit yourself," Myungsoo chuckled, and he rose from where he had been sitting on the floor next to Sungyeol. The food was still lying in boxes in front of them.

"Where are you going?" Sungyeol asked, a note of alarm in his voice.

"You're hungry, right?"

"Yeah, so?"

"We can't eat that food, correct? So I'll go and buy something else."

"Nah, we can just eat it, it's no big deal," Sungyeol said.

"No, I'll buy something. I'll be right back."

And with that, Myungsoo ran out the door, almost forgetting to lock it as he went. 

-

"You brought soju??" Sungyeol asked, staring wide-eyed at the bottles Myungsoo had brought along with the food (which had turned out to be chicken wings). 

"Is there a problem with that?" Myungsoo said, raising his eyebrows. 

"Well, I mean..." Sungyeol trailed off, as if he didn't want to finish his thought.

"You're thinking I'll pass out, and then you can escape, right?"

Sungyeol remained silent, but Myungsoo could tell he had guessed correctly.

"Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm a trained drinker. I don't pass out that easily. And I know when to stop. So there'll be no escaping."

Sungyeol made a face, as if Myungsoo had indeed bursted his bubble, but said nothing. 

"You like chicken wings, right?" Myungsoo asked, pretending the silence wasn't awkward.

"Of course," Sungyeol replied immediately, and he smiled like he too was pretending the situation was far from awkward. 

"I figured," Myungsoo said.

"Give me some," Sungyeol demanded, his hands outstretched. 

Myungsoo placed the box of chicken wings on the floor between them, and Sungyeol instantly grabbed a wing. Myungsoo watched him as Sungyeol ate, and couldn't help but feel grateful that Sungyeol was willing to have a meal with him at all. He didn't understand why Sungyeol even bothered talking to him. 

He has a very big heart, Myungsoo decided as he watched Sungyeol eat another piece of chicken. A very big and warm and good heart. 

"Aren't you going to eat?" Sungyeol inquired, pulling Myungsoo away from his thoughts. 

"Oh... yeah," Myungsoo nodded, grabbing a piece. 

They ate for a while in silence, yet for some reason Myungsoo didn't find it uncomfortable. That might have had something to do with the soju he had eventually consumed - and was still consuming - but he couldn't be sure because his thoughts seemed unwilling to cooperate with him. They just drifted off, and when he tried to grab them, they flew away. 

"Hey... have I ever told you that you remind me of a cat?" Sungyeol slurred, pointing to Myungsoo's face. 

"No..." Myungsoo replied absentmindedly. 

"Well, you do."

"Why?"

"How should I know? Ask my brain."

"Hey, Sungyeol's brain. Why do I look like a cat?"

"My brain says it doesn't know either," Sungyeol informed, tapping his head with his finger. 

"Well that ," Myungsoo said.

"I guess you'll never know why you look like a cat," Sungyeol nodded, looking like the thought made him slightly sad. "Too bad."

"Totally," Myungsoo agreed, slowly nodding.

"Do I look like an animal?" Sungyeol inquired, drinking some more soju.

"I've never thought about it," Myungsoo replied.

"Then think about it now," Sungyeol said, and he inched closer to Myungsoo. "Look at me. What do I look like?"

Myungsoo stared at Sungyeol, and said the first thing that popped into his head. "You look like the sun." 

"Huh?" Sungyeol mumbled, frowning slightly. "Why do I look like the sun?"

"Because you're warm and bright," Myungsoo explained, his eyelids heavy. 

"Oooh," Sungyeol said, nodding as if he finally understood. "Okay. Then you're a cat, and I'm the sun."

"Hey Sun," Myungsoo smiled.

"Hey Cat," Sungyeol smiled back. 

"You know what, Sun?"

"What?"

"I'm a bit sleepy," Myungsoo yawned. "I think I should go."

"Why?" Sungyeol pouted, having already closed his eyes. "Just sleep here."

"I don't think..." Myungsoo's voice trailed off. ... that's such a good idea. 

"Just sleep here," Sungyeol mumbled, clearly falling asleep. 

"Well..." Myungsoo mused drunkenly. "Maybe I could just..." And without finishing his sentence, he stretched out on the floor and thought that maybe he could allow himself this, just this time. Maybe he could pretend that he was a normal drunk teenager who just wanted some sleep. Just a normal boy. 

"Good night, Myungsoo," Sungyeol murmured, his hands under his head as he lied on the floor. 

"Good night, Sun," Myungsoo replied sleepily, and he decided that he was too tired to move. He closed his eyes and hoped with all his heart that he would wake up before Sungyeol. 

Please let me wake up first. I don't want to have to let him go just yet, Myungsoo thought as he drifted off to sleep on the floor next to Sungyeol. 

 

Author's Note: Sorry for taking so long before posting another chapter! School and all, you know... :/ But hey, summer is on its way! :D Anyone as excited as I am? :D