Chapter 6

Kidnapped (hiatus)

"Have you been able to obtain any more useful information from the boy?" his hyung-nim asked. 

"No, hyung-nim. Unfortunately not," Myungsoo replied, bowing. 

"Why is this taking so long? You usually finish your missions fast; Boss is getting impatient."

"I'm sorry."

"You know those words aren't appreciated here. There's no need to apologize: do your job properly instead," the tall man chastised. 

"I will do my best," Myungsoo assured. 

"Indeed, you should. Remember your promise to Boss," the older reminded him. 

"I remember," Myungsoo said, biting back the bitterness he felt. Of course I remember. How could I ever forget? 

-

Flashback

"You'll do anything, you say?" the intimidating man with the loud voice said, eyeing the boy standing in front of him with scepticism.  

"Anything!" the boy exclaimed desperately. "Please, just help me. I need money."

"And your first thought was coming to me?"

"I've tried everything else, but there's no way I can get enough," the boy explained sadly, his eyes shining with uncried tears. "I heard some men in the neighbourhood talk about you, and that you could help if people needed money. Isn't that what you do?"

"So they said I help people who need money, is that it?" the big man chuckled darkly. 

The dark-haired boy nodded solemnly, gazing at the tall figure in front of him with pleading eyes. 

"Well kiddo, those men were right: I help people who need help. But in return I need some help too, of course. Things shouldn't just be one-sided, right?"

"Of course," the boy piped up, nodding fervently. "Mommy always said that favors should always be repaid with a favor twice as big." And the boy held his hands out to either side, as if illustrating how big of a favor that would be.

"And so you're saying that you would repay me if I were to help you, right?" the man asked, smiling at the naive boy. 

"Yes!" the boy declared. "I'll do whatever you want me to."

"Well, that's good to hear. You see, when I help people, I need them to sign something for me first, to make sure that they keep their promise to help me in return."

"Sign something?"

"It's very easy," the man assured. "All you have to do is write your name. You can do that, right?"

"Of course. Mommy taught me," the boy smiled proudly. 

"What a great mom you have," the big man said.

"I know, right? She's the best mommy in the world!"

End of flashback

-

"Finally!" Sungyeol exclaimed as Myungsoo entered the room. "I thought I would die of hunger!"

"Look who's being dramatic," Myungsoo smiled. "I was here, what, four hours ago?"

"And that's three hours and thirty minutes too long ago," Sungyeol pouted. "Do you know how boring it is to sit inside the same room for forever?"

"Then why aren't you reading the books I have you?" Myungsoo inquired.

"I have!" 

"You weren't reading when I opened the door."

"I was taking a break. My eyes were getting tired."

"Oh, really?" Myungsoo asked, raising his brows. 

"Really."

"Fine," Myungsoo agreed. He set the plastic bag he was carrying on the table and took out the content: a steaming plastic bowl of curry and rice.

"Curry!" Sungyeol yelled, jumping up from the bed. 

"I assume you like curry then?" Myungsoo chuckled, handing Sungyeol a plastic spoon. 

"I like all food," Sungyeol declared, taking a big bite. 

Myungsoo smiled as he watched Sungyeol munch away. The latter had obviously gotten more used to Myungsoo, though he kept on denying it. Maybe he doesn't hate me as much as he used to, Myungsoo thought hopefully. Maybe we can have normal conversations without all the bitterness and distrust.

But as soon as he thought it, Myungsoo knew how stupid he was. Things could never become like they had been when they had first met. Myungsoo could never again sit in the library and read while Sungyeol looked at him as he pretended that he wasn't. That was a given when their initial relationship was based on a lie. It was obvious that Sungyeol could never trust Myungsoo again when Myungsoo had stabbed him in the back the way he had. 

"What are you thinking about?" Sungyeol asked, his mouth filled with food. 

"Huh?" Myungsoo replied dazedly, turning his gaze in Sungyeol's direction.

"Why are you so spaced out?" 

"No reason..."

"Then what were you thinking?" Sungyeol repeated, his curiousity unquenched. 

"Reminiscing maybe?" Myungsoo offered. 

"About what?"

"Some of  my better moments, I guess..."

"Which moments?"

"Why do you ask so many questions?" Myungsoo demanded, his voice rising. 

"I'm just curious..." Sungyeol mumbled, clearly surprised by the sudden outburst. "Sorry for asking."

"It's fine," Myungsoo breathed wearily. "I'm just a bit tired, that's all."

"Are things... tough... at your... job?" Sungyeol asked, slower this time, as if unsure weither he was allowed to inquire or not. 

"It's always tough," Myungsoo replied honestly. "Did you think this was an easy business or something?"

"No, it's just... that's why I don't get why you would join these people in the first place..."

"It's complicated," Myungsoo murmured. 

"Try me," Sungyeol said.

"No."

"Come on," Sungyeol whined.

"That's enough. I don't want to talk about this anymore," Myungsoo informed, his voice growing serious. 

"Fine," Sungyeol grumbled, taking another bite of his food. "Just be that way."

-

Sungyeol didn't know if he was imagining it, but he felt like Myungsoo was being kinder to him than he neccessarily had to be. Not only did he bring warm food every day, but he had also brought a blanket, several books, a pillow, and a sketchbook with pencils, in case Sungyeol felt like drawing. 

Maybe he feels bad about kidnapping me? Sungyeol wondered. 

Which lead him to another interesting thought. Maybe if I act nice to him, he'll feel so bad that he'll release me?

Sungyeol didn't know anything about psychology. For all he knew, he could be completely wrong about the idea. Maybe Myungsoo was that way with all of his hostages, assuming he had kidnapped other people before. 

Because he had no way of knowing, Sungyeol couldn't help but think that maybe it was worth a try. It can't hurt, at the very least. 

 

 Author's Note: Happy Easter, everyone! :D <3