2.

In silence.
 
Luhan and Mei were in the elevator again. It was after midnight already and they were way too tired to talk. Both stood by and tried not to fall asleep on the spot. A couple of floors before the one Luhan lived on, elevator stopped abruptly for a few seconds and the light went out. Their desire for sleep quickly disappeared and they looked at each other in dismay. Mei threw her backpack off her shoulder to the floor and pulled out the phone. A few seconds later Luhan's phone beeped.
 
 
yi mei: I'm scared to death to get stuck in the elevator.
Xiao Lu: Relax, everything will be fine
 
 
Once Luhan sent a message, elevator shook and suddenly fell down a couple of floors. The light went out again, and Mei dropped the phone and grabbing the handrail screamed. Luhan quickly turned to her and hugged her tightly, holding onto the railing behind her with his free hand. He himself didn't relish the prospect of being trapped in the elevator - with the flickering light and the possibility of dropping a few meters every now and then - but he was not as scared as Mei was. He didn't say anything to her, just held her firmly between himself and the elevator wall. It seemed to him that Mei struggled to keep herself from crying in fear. She pressed both hands to her face so hard that Luhan began to feel that she might suffocate. When a few minutes passed and the elevator didn't move and the light stopped flickering, Luhan took her wrists and pulled her hands away from her face. Mei stood with her eyes tightly closed, so the boy had to put his hands on her cheeks and make her look at him. She looked up at him and seemed to read "You better?" in his eyes. The girl nodded with uncertainty and when Luhan moved to the opposite wall, Mei followed suit and sat on the floor. They sat in silence and waited for someone to contact them, because, as it turned out, no one had heard them over the intercom, but after a while they heard noises and were informed that someone was already coming to get them out. Luhan was twisting the phone in his hands, occasionally glancing at Mei, who seemed to be calm now. Mustering all the courage he could at this moment, he opened their dialog window and began typing.
 
 
Xiao Lu: Look, I'm gonna write you a tirade now
Don't answer anything. It's just been bottling up inside of me for a while and since we're stuck here and have nothing else to do...

yi mei: Go ahead
Xiao Lu: My parents recently came to visit me and Yifan told them about you. Told them how we only chatting in Katalk, told them everything he knew in general. He has this habit, you know... Of taking my phone when we drink together and read everything he can find in it. My parents started to overwhelm me with all sorts of questions and hints. Saying that I haven't had a female friend for a long while now and there must be something fishy here... And even after they left, both mom and dad continue to write me messages asking "How's it going?" It infuriates me. I'm comfortable talking to you, I write what I think... I really feel comfortable, but they can't understand how a guy can hang with a girl without any ual innuendo. They think that since we stay in touch, then there's definitely something going on between us. They even tried to find out info about you. Just... Why make a mountain out of a molehill? I don't understand... And I can't explain that to them. It's like they don't hear me.
yi mei: So, that's why you haven't written anything in a couple of weeks. Usually every few days you ask me something...
 
yi mei: I moved here because my fiancé left me. We had a long history: we used to date for a while in school, then broke up and got back together again... We had a kind of "push-and-pull" relationship. At first, we weren't exactly in love. We were just kids, for the love of God, we liked each other very much. He then had really fallen for me and our relationship became more serious. At least, that's what he used to say. That he was deeply in love with me. I was born in China, but then my family moved to Taiwan. A few years after we met each other. When he entered the university in China, he broke up with me and left. Back then I still had a year before all the uni stuff. The whole break-up was rather ridiculous, you know? He just said that he was leaving and didn't need me there, that's all. He left and I realized that I loved him. Like really-really loved him. I wrote him, telling about my feelings. He told me to come and I - like a complete fool I am - found a job, worked like a madwoman, delayed college entering exams for a year, because I needed money to move back to China. And you know what? I actually saved up enough money not only for moving, but also for a living for the first few months. Therefore, I packed up all my stuff and left. After that we had been together for over two years, even got engaged. My parents had also moved back to China by that time. I was so truly happy. Everyone I loved was around me. We didn't want a big wedding, just go down to the City Hall and the restaurant with the family. Everything was planned, but a week before the Day itself I came home and caught him with a girl. It turned out, that he'd been dating her while a was in Taipei and even after I moved to China for him. You know, I couldn't even get truly angry back then, because he didn't even cheat on me, but on her. I was the other girl, not her. Then I packed myself up again, called my cousin here in Seoul and told him everything. I so desperately wanted to run away somewhere, where I'd be as far away from Jing Hao as possible, that I didn't even care where to run. It's been more than six months and I'm still... It still hurts. Moreover, I'm not sure whether it's because of his deception or the whole situation. It all turned out to be an illusion I’d been lost in. I remember hearing those words in some song: "Sometimes it's better just to let them go, cause your illusion's more than what you could know." Those words really speak the truth.
Xiao Lu: Mei...
yi mei: Now it's your turn to not answer anything, Luhan.
I also needed to talk to someone who won't judge me for my stupidity.
 
 
He really wanted to tell her that there was nothing stupid about her actions. That love and devotion, at times, can deprive people of the ability to think clearly, but more often, it can make them stronger. Make them fearless. And Luhan realized just how strong the girl in front of him was - she ought to be, considering everything she had to go through in the past. At some point, Luhan felt a little envious of Mei, because comparing to her, he was just a timid little mouse, who was always lucky in life. He's never been caught in a mousetrap after all.
 
 
yi mei: Hey, you're in the ignoring mode again.
Is it because of what I've told you?
Luhan?
Let it go, huh
Bumped into Yifan yesterday in the lobby. He said you're alright.
You said we're friends, and now you're avoiding me. Look, I don't really have friends here. Only my cousin and you. I'm worried.
If you're still worried about your parents, then... I don't know. Just don't be. And stop avoiding me.
Do you even read the messages?
It's been two weeks!
Luhan, I've always been alone.
I don't want to be alone anymore.
Xiao Lu: Sorry, Mei. I went to my parents.
yi mei: Liar. You didn't go anywhere.
Forgot I talked to Yifan?
Xiao Lu: Damn
yi mei: You can come up with a better excuse or continue to say that you went to your parents. I don't care about that.
But do not avoid me anymore. Got it?
Xiao Lu: Yes, Mei
yi mei: You know what, xiao lu? Since you answered me now, then I'll tell you where I work. From the first day you've been trying to get it out off of me, so whatever... I work as an instructor at the healthcare center. I've had a poor health since I was a kid and my parents made me do sports. I really hated it at first, but then I kind of got swallowed in it. So now I'm helping those who have poor health to stay fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I have a girl in one of my groups now, she's a gem, really. She's only 21, but she's already had a heart attack. She can't do much, but I have never met such a strong person. She's not letting anyone and anything mislead her. Know what I mean?
Xiao Lu: I do :-)
yi mei: Quit giving me smiley faces!
I'm still mad at you!
Xiao Lu: Ahaha
Well then! From now on I'll be a good boy, okay boss?
yi mei: Yes, peasant XD
Xiao Lu: Mei
yi mei:  What?
Xiao Lu: Wanna hang out on the roof? Watch a movie?
yi mei: I won't talk to you. I'm telling you I'm still mad!
Xiao Lu: You can come up with a better excuse :P
yi mei: Rooftop in 10 mins, you
Xiao Lu: ahahaha
Mei!
yi mei: ???
Xiao Lu: I missed ya
yi mei: Of course you did :-) Don't deny yourself of me
 
 
They sat side by side on a bench on the roof and watched a movie. No one uttered a word, but both sat smiling. And not because of the movie. Every now and then they gently pushed each other, trying to wipe the smile off of their faces, but all attempts were absolutely useless. Mei was now convinced that Luhan didn't care about her past, since he still wanted her around, and Luhan realized that there aren't a lot of people like Mei out there. If there was some other girl in her shoes right now, she would've told him to get lost after how he frankly avoided her for a few weeks. He was either leaving home later and coming back earlier or walked up the stairs. However, for the last decision he began to curse himself very quickly - his legs were now hurting terribly. But after he told her what his parents tried to force upon him and her story about her ex-fiancé, he was ashamed to meet her. Ashamed, because he could inadvertently make her think the same way his parents did with his blabbering. He was scared to meet her, because if some man has already disappointed her once that badly, he could too.
Luhan spent half of the movie quietly laughing at the situation they were in, and Mei tried to shut him up by poking him in the ribs, but he just couldn't stop no matter how hard he wanted to. Mei's patience completely vanished when he openly laughed out loud because of something, scaring her. She slapped his hand, but the boy only started coughing and laughing at the same time. Mei's eyes narrowed and she did what he could never predict her doing: the girl took his wrist and put his hand over her shoulder, as she leaned into him as close as she could and continued to calmly stare at the laptop screen. Luhan successfully stopped laughing and froze. What was she doing? Why was she doing it? Noticing that Luhan held his breath for quite too long, Mei turned to look at him and then took her phone out of her hoodie pocket.
 
 
yi mei: Don't forget to breathe.
 
 
Luhan didn't get his phone, he reached his free hand to her phone and took it from her hands. He had to lean even more closer to her to take the device in both hands. At this point, he mentally cursed her phone for being so big, even though his was the same. Her face was so close to his and, when he finished typing the message and sent it to herself, Luhan gave her her phone back, but didn't move away from the girl. He noticed that her bangs have grown to be quite long now. Noticed how dark was her little mole under the left eye now, because she didn't wear any makeup. But catching himself looking her up like he did on the first day in the elevator, Luhan turned away.
 
 
yi mei: didn't expect you to do it
yi mei: xiao lu, it's called "a hug" and there is nothing scary about it.
Besides, you shut up, so the mission's complete.
 
 
Luhan decided not to give himself a reason for another session of gazing at her and pulled out his phone.
 
 
Xiao Lu: You know, you're not romantic at all... You're sitting on the rooftop. At night. With a guy. Watching a movie. You hugged me - well, kind of - and you're saying you only did it to shut me up?
yi mei: yep
Xiao Lu: That's what I'm talking about! There's not an ounce of romance in you :/
yi mei: Come on! If I were to say or do something romantic, there would be a hole in the door in your shape in a second, remembering how you reacted to my story!
Xiao Lu: Thanks for the reminder... 
yi mei: What a kid...
Fine
Xiao Lu: ?
yi mei: I got cold, so I hugged you.
Xiao Lu: That's better! :-D
I'll teach you all sorts of romantic things. 
yi mei: Good God... I think, I'll just go.
 
 
Mei wanted to get up from the bench, but Luhan jerked her arm and she landed back into his arms. The girl stared at him in shock, but he just laughed again and sent her yet another message.
 
 
Xiao Lu: Who said I'll let you go?
 
 
Mei just smiled and snuggled in his arms. For some reason it didn't seem even a tad weird to her to be sitting with his arms tightly around her. She felt serenity and confidence in him. At least at this moment, Mei was glad, that Luhan stopped avoiding her, because she really did miss him too.