Mr Mysterious

Mr. Mysterious

“And so I fell into that blissful silence. -jessica jung“

 

I stood by my seat, evidently amused by the little scene. Sooyoung shrugged, showing her indifference. I picked up the obnoxious teddy bear that sat on my seat, along with the bouquet of chocolate flowers. This person obviously knew my favorites.

“Darling, did you do this?” I turned to Sooyoung, gazing at her. She furrowed her eyebrows and rolled her eyes.

“Jessica, what makes you think I would do that!” Sooyoung sighed, muttering, “What’s so special about your birthday that I have to celebrate anyway…”  Huffing, I picked up the card with the oddly familiar handwriting, confused.

“At your place again.”

As Sooyoung peered over, she managed to pop the question in my head. “Maybe it’s Jonghyun.” Voicing it made me double up in laughter.

“GOD. Sooyoung, you know that Jjong would never do this in school. Although we’re best friends, this relationship has never been established in school. We barely talk here! We have completely different majors, if you have forgotten.” I was saying all this, but I really hoped it was him. It was our tradition to celebrate my birthday every year, since young, and it had been the same till last year.

 

He was dating this popular girl in his year that time, and I wasn’t really surprised when he had called to cancel. I was expecting it alright, but there was still a little pull at my heart when he spoke over the phone, his girlfriend giggling viciously at the side.

 

“What’s the fuss?” Yuri popped over with Yoona, snatching the fluffy teddy from me. As Sooyoung tried to explain, I noticed that we’d caught quite some attention. I would have thought it was just the bear, but the guys were staring at me. Did everyone know it’s my birthday?

For one, I’d always been of quite low-profile, disregarding the fact I’m widely known for being cold, so I highly doubted that.

“Sica, isn’t this Jonghyun’s handwriting?” Taeyeon noted from beside me as I sat down. I pondered over it and shook my head.

“It does resemble, but I’d never put him to expose our close ties. He’s a popular guy you know.”

“We’re quite well-known too, Sica!” Yoona chirped, obviously because she’s been the chick that everyone went after.

                       

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

After classes, it seemed that the whole fiasco hadn’t died down. I felt the icky stares as I hugged the bear and flowers in my arms, leaving the room. It was then when I heard that little whistle tune by the door, which almost made me drop my flowers.

“Jjong? What are you doing here?! This is not your block!” I exclaimed, blinking in shock at his sudden appearance.

He chuckled, like it was nothing, before taking my bag and slinging it over his broad shoulders.

“Yah, what are you doing? Why are we even talking in school?”

People were staring, and I was most definitely not used to the attention. Jjong chuckled again, before replying cockily, “Is it wrong to want to be with the ice princess on her grand birthday? At your party, we won’t be able to talk much, since you have entertaining to do. Especially when it’s your 21st birthday, Sica.” I couldn’t’ help but wonder what the hell was up with him, considering this was the longest conversation we have ever had in school. Not to mention we were walking side by side in my block, where this idiot obviously didn’t belong in.

“Are you really just being here like that? Not looking for some girl today??” I just had to ask, whether his answer was good or not.

He shook his head and pretended to be in thought. I almost heaved a sigh of relief, before he suddenly shot his head up, “No, actually, I am looking for a girl. She’s really pretty, and has straight long hair. Do you know her, Sica?” Somehow, his expression made me really uneasy. He looked so smitten; he was obviously thinking of this girl, with straight long hair and all. That look made my heart drop, like a shot to the head, sudden and painful. I made an attempt to pull a wringed smile, replying softly, “Maybe if you’d give me more explicit descriptions. I might know her..”

Jonghyun’s face held a mischievous air as he chattered on, describing her as the most beautiful girl in the world, which almost made me cry.

“-she is the kindest girl ever, with a really distant and cold look on her face, but honestly, she’s just shy. She doesn’t know what to say. There was once, she was feeding the little kitten that sat at the alley beside my house, which was really sweet.-“

That caught me. I remember vividly that I had always seen that small white kitty sitting by the stairs at the alley of his house. I’d fed it milk a couple of times; seems that this sweet girl also noticed the poor kitten!!

I smiled at her gesture; she must be a really caring and thoughtful girl…

“-she’s always concerned about everything. I mean, she’d cry over her mid-term results, like getting a low A for English because she’d came from California and being all depressed.. but I like it because I get to comfort her and we get to spend the whole night watching dumb movies-“

Oh hey that sounds just like me, because I’d get so demoralized about English results that I’d just ramble on and on and get so affected by it I force jjong to watch dumb movies with me-

“Wait. Jjong, this all sounds awfully familiar.”

“Oh, do you know her, perhaps?” Jonghyun grinned elatedly, and I couldn’t help but stare at his smirk, basking in my belated realization.

And so, I fell into that blissful silence.

-the end-

{ended as of 6.39pm SGT// 05.04.2014}