III.

The East
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stood under the street lamp waiting for a black Mercedes Benz to come and fetch me. The light pink petals of the Cherry Blossom tree I was standing next to was dancing its way to the ground. The sky was a light orange and evening was coming, I rubbed my palms together and held my cheeks, feeling the slight warmth from my palms, I sighed and smiled. But after a few seconds, my smile was replaced with a slight frown.

I missed Donghae. How is he now? Where is he? Why haven’t we run into each other in the city? I hope I could see him again. I really wish I could. How much longer would it take for everything to fall back to where everything was, to me it seemed like I was stuck in a dimension where only puzzled minds and feelings were inherently present within each element that existed in this vast universe.

The car I was waiting for me pulled over and rolled down the window. Leeteuk was inside, wearing a warm smile as always. I smiled back and hopped in the passenger’s seat. I looked at him smile throughout the whole drive; he kept on telling jokes and stories. I was really thankful to have Leeteuk as a friend, he was really nice and he helped me a lot. Just by looking at him right now this happy, it looks like he hasn’t been through gloomy and hard times.

“Where are we going?” I asked after he finished one of his stories about travelling by bus and how he had a slight trauma about it.

“It’s a secret.” He answered shortly and chuckled. Leeteuk was unusually cheery today; I racked my brain for events that I must’ve forgotten about.

Have you ever felt something so good to be true and at the same time nostalgic that you thought it didn’t exist anymore because the memories of this happening have already been buried under the embers of new events. Déjà vu struck me as we’ve drove down a lane I haven’t visited for a long time. My heart was about to burst and tears started to well up as my eyes set upon a place I least expected we would be at…

The carnival on the beach. The night grew, the lanterns became brighter; those tan lanterns that floated in mid-air has yet made this night more wistful.

I felt like I was seeped into a time machine, going back to what I’ve missed the most. I’ve been anticipating for this carnival’s return but I was a bit hesitant to drive by or even hangout at this place.

“Leeteuk…” I was awed by every single detail that surrounded where I was now. Every ride, every stall was in its original place. The bumper cars, the carousel and most importantly, the Ferris Wheel.

“Stunning sight isn’t it.” He smiled and put both hands on either side of his waist. I nodded in agreement. I was too preoccupied with my eyes wandering on every piece of perfection infront of me, I didn’t realized that Leeteuk was holding my hand already, ready to explore the carnival. I looked at our hands intertwined, it felt different compared to when I was with Donghae. I felt nothing other than a friendly vibe.

A sea of people were having the time of their lives, and just by hearing every sound they made, every sound the machines made, it made my heart beat faster. I felt a pang of nervousness in my stomach though I wasn’t aware why I was feeling this way. This part of Seoul looked so stunning. I felt like I was in a dream. The smile never left my face. Leeteuk and I went all around, tried every ride, played games, ate popcorn, cotton candy and so on. I enjoyed time being with Leeteuk. I would consider him as my bestfriend. But as we did all these, every bit of where we went reminded me of Donghae.

Just when I thought we had finished all the rides. There was one left.

I looked up at the grand Ferris Wheel before my eyes. It did age a little, some rust formed on the rails and the hinges of the gate squeaked a bit, but it was still perfect as it was before. At first, I was reluctant to get on this ride, after all, this was where Donghae and I broke up.

“Ladies first,” Leeteuk bowed and chuckled, I smiled and got in and sat down. He took a step from the ride and I looked at him quizzically.

“You’re not coming with me?” I asked, he shook his head and smiled.

“Why?” I asked, Leeteuk just kept silent and sighed.

“Just because.” He smiled again and closed the Ferris wheel’s cradle I was in. I shrugged and then remembered that I had to spend a whole ride by myself, panic shot down but I took a deep breath.

“Fine, fine.” I sighed and leaned back on the cold metal seats. A chill instantly took over and I closed my eyes.

As the machine started, instead of severe nervousness and fright,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter