Intertwined Melodies

Intertwined Melodies

 "Ojing-nobakke moreuneun geuron naya, Nomaneul saranghe jul saram baro naya, Nol mannan sesangi,Negen gijok gateun irira geuron goya, Ojing-nomaneul wonhaneun geuron naya,Nomaneul jikyo jul saramdo baro naya, Ni gyote noman baraboneun geuge naya miryonhan naya."

Those lyrics were stuck in my head. Her voice keeps on resounding and bouncing in mind. I have fallen for her melodious voice. 


It was a hot summer 2 years ago. I walked through a street in the city, I saw a big crowd and because of curiosity I found myself joining the mass. I found out that there was a live performance. I can hear the soft beat of the drums, the harmonic plucking of guitar, the melodious sound of the piano, and an angelic and enchanting voice of the girl playing it.  

I was mystified by her voice , but I had no chance to take a glimpse at her face because of the people blocking in front of me. So, I decided to wait for her after her performance. But, as I approached the spot, all I saw was empty water bottles. I still haven't lose hope so I asked the people around about the whatabouts of the girl but the only thing I got was her stage name which is "Sunny". 

A popular street performer. She performs not very often that's why they said that you're very lucky if you had the chance to hear her music. I also found out her song was entitled "It's Me". People described her as "The sun who gives light, joy and happiness to everyone." and  beautiful, petite and pure. Still, no one knows her real name or who she really is. 

After hearing those, I felt disappointed and discouraged for maybe there would be no chance for me to meet her and hear her voice once more. But, in the end I gathered all my hopes, and promised myself to look for her no matter what it takes. 

 

I may not know her name, how she looks; But her voice and my love for her will help me find her.


Kim Junnmyeon I was named, but everyone calls me with my nickname; Suho. I came from a music oriented family. Both my parents love music, playing musical instruments and even arranging and composing songs. Because of this I also became interested and loved music. As I grew up they taught me how to play different instruments such as the guitar, piano, saxophone, bass and the synth. With my skills I tried to learn to Sunny's song: It's me using her voice that lingers in my mind and the voice that captivated my heart. They also gave me voice lessons. I compose songs in my free time and I listen to music most of the time. 

But, the only problem about me is I'm not that good in academic related stuff, but I never let my grades reach the bottom. I'm a Senior in a prestigious academy. And not to boast, but I'm quite popular in the whole campus due to my talents; especially singing. I often receive the what they call "love letters"  and gifts in my locker but all I do is thank them and explain that I already have someone I like for I don't want to hurt their feelings.  I've made a lot of friends throught the years too. 

Right now, I've been interested with the girl named Kim Taeyeon. A petite girl with sparkling hazel eyes and a brownish-black hair. She's pretty and has a beautiful voice. I was thinking that she might be the Sunny I was looking for, and I have high hopes that she is. I befriend her and we became very close like best friends. I taught her to play the guitar and we often share our interests in music.


On the day the classes resumed, I saw some students running towards the classroom with their Physics notebook in hand. "Oh ! I forgot to do my homework!!" "Help me" are some of what I heard as they run. As I followed them to my classroom I saw them flocking at the seat of the girl in ponytail who wears thick-frame eyeglasses. 

They started crying out for help “Please! Do our homework! We’ll pay you big!”. I thought that the girl would be irritated, but instead; she smiled and said “Sure! Pay me first for assurance, you’ll get this before the fourth period.” They rapidly  fished out money from their wallets and handed it to the girl, and then they all cheered  and thank the girl.

"Phew! What a good scene to start school" I said to myself. Then I heard Taeyeon shouting: “Ya! Suho! Are you finished with your homework?." I was about to answer yes, but I realized that I forgot about it! So I panicked and thought about asking the girl in ponytail to do it. But, when I was about to go to the place of the girl; Taeyeon held my hand and my heart skipped a beat. “I’ll help you do it; Don’t put any more burdens for that girl and don’t waste your money for her little favor.” I smiled and agreed with her offer, and after periods, we managed to finish it. I thanked Taeyeon for her big help.

On break time, the guys from morning rushed to our classroom and headed to the girl with ponytail; Now I remembred! I think she is our class representative and our class top 1 too but commonly labeled as the "School's Nerd", "Study Bug" and the scholar who works for her education and family They said that she’ll do anything for money. But, I honestly don't know her name. She handed the notebooks, and said: “Nice having business with you! Till next time”. I think that this girl is way too smart; she uses her talents cleverly; I wish I could do that.

I was surprised when Taeyeon walked towards the girl, I thought that she was her friend; but she said: “Ya! You Opportunist freak! Give back the money or I’ll report you to the office! Now!”; then the girl replied “Aniya! I worked for this money! I won’t give it back! This is mine!” Taeyeon looked irritated and she tried to get the money, but the girl keeps on resisting.

It looked like Taeyeon was having a hard time so I walked in to the scene and helped her. Luckily, I easily got money and told the girl loudly “She’s right! It’s against the rules, we won’t report you; Just don’t do it again!” the girl looked frightened, then suddenly tears started to fell from her eyes and ran out of the room. I felt bad for her, but I think that what I did was right.

Hey, Thanks! I know I can count on you!” Taeyeon said, my heart suddenly skipped a beat; and I told her “You’re very welcome! I’m always here for you! No matter what.” She giggled and asked me to meet her after class. I agreed and I thought that maybe it’s the time I should ask her if she is the Sunny I’m looking for and confess my feelings for her. After that she bid farewell and told me that she needs to return the money to the students who paid the nerd girl.

As I walked, I saw the ponytail girl having a conversation in her mobile phone; she looks serious so I tried to eavesdrop. “Yeoboseyo? Eomma, how’s oppa? Does he still have a fever? Eomma, mianhae; I think I can’t buy the medicine. I lost the money that I was expecting.” I was very shocked and saddened about what I heard. I get her money that’s supposed to save his’ brother, I’m a jerk! Then her mom replied “But, we don’t have any source anymore; appa didn’t receive his salary yet. I’m very sorry my daughter, I know that we’ve been putting lots of responsibilities and burden to you.. Mianhae..” I was surprised when the girl replied cheerfully “Its fine eomma! As long as I can stand I’ll do my best to help you and appa to support our family! I’ll just do some part-time jobs later after class! I’ll do my best! Smile! Fighting!! Goodbye, see you later.” I was very moved with everything she said, and I didn’t notice that tears started to roll down from my eyes.

After their conversation, I came to her and apologize “I’m sorry for what I did I didn’t know you need it—“ she didn’t let me finished instead she spoke angrily “So you’re eavesdropping?” I replied : “N-Nae. I do, and I’m very sorry! I didn’t know your reasons, here, take this money” She got even more mad, she grabbed the money and she slap it to my face; She stared at me angrily, and I can feel that she’s about to cry. "Pabo!" I was about to apologize again, but she quickly left. I can’t do anything so I just walked and prayed for her family and for her forgiveness.

After class, I felt that my heart started to beat fast. My hands became cold and perspiring. I thought about how to confess my feelings for Taeyeon, and how to ask if she is Sunny, I took a deep breath and prayed. When suddenly she shouted “Suho-ah!” Taeyeon spoke. When I saw her I grabbed her hands and dragged her to the music room. She looked surprised and asked “Why here?” I didn’t answer her question instead I asked her “So what will you say?”. Her eyes got big, and she smiled. She took a deep breath and said “S-Suho! I really like you!” I was surprised and was very happy after hearing those words. I was about to say that I feel the same, but I remembered that I should prove that she’s the one I’m looking for and I know that there’s one thing to do.

U-umm, what can you s-say?” She asked shyly. Instead of answering her, I played the piano and started singing “Ojing-nobakke moreuneun geuron naya, Nomaneul saranghe jul saram baro naya, Nol mannan sesangi,Negen gijok gateun irira geuron goya,” As I sing, I looked at her and she looked very puzzled. I was hoping that she would sing with me, but she didn’t. I felt very sad and disappointed; I thought that she’s the one I’m looking for. “Wow! Your voice is really cool! The song was beautiful! What is it called? But what was that for? Was that serenading? Do you feel the same way towards me?” She asked. I gathered my strength and told her “N-No. I’m sorry I only see you as a friend. There is someone I like.” She looked pissed and shocked. “W-what?! Then why did you sing to me? Why did you befriend me and make me feel special?!” she shouted. I couldn’t tell her my real reason so all I said was “I’m sorry”.I left her in the room and I can feel that she’s crying, but I can’t do anything about it. After what happened, I felt like I was tricked, tricked by myself. It feels like I wasted my time and effort. I felt weak and I started crying.

 

I left the campus, and I felt like a big idiot. After walking I found myself in the middle of a narrow street. There, I saw a crowd outside a little tent; I went close and I saw a sign “Love Fortuneteller, enter and know who’s the one that’s destined for you! Its free!~” I thought that I would enter, besides its free, I won’t lose anything, and I might get information about Sunny. After a long wait, it was finally my turn. Inside it was dark, there was a pink crystal ball and a woman covered in veil. “Come closer mister” she said. It was like she’s hypnotizing me. 

Annyeong! I’m Madame Sarang What do you want to ask?” she asked. What a weird and funny name, I thought to myself. “Wait! Before I ask, I want you to give me proof that you really predict things right!” I said. She answered nervously “W-what!? Sure, but first give me your full name!” I started to get a little suspicious but I gave my name “Kim Junmyeon is my name. I am called Suho. Now predict something that happened to me” she giggled a little and said “Oh! What a very unique name. I already predicted something.” I was shocked and said “Spill it!” She coughed and said “You did something unpleasant to someone who’s in need. Am I right?” I was very surprised, because I really did those things to the ponytail girl. “H-how did you know that!?” I asked. “Because, I’m professional” she answered. I decided to believe in her so I asked about love “Fine, I believe you, now can you predict something about the person I like?” “No.” she replied. I was appalled and asked angrily “Why!? You’re supposed to do it! Its your job! You’re a fortuneteller right?” “Yes I am! But you have to pay me first!” she answered calmly. I became even more mad knowing that it’s said that its free. “B-but the sign said that its free!” “Aish! So you don’t want to pay? Then no love fortune for you! NEXT!” she said. I got a little irritated, but I really want her help so I decided to pay.

I handed her the money and she asked “What is it that you want to know?” So I answered “You see there’s someone I like, and I’m searching for her. I don’t know her real name name or her appearance, but she’s called Sunny. I heard her play once in a street performance, since then I’ve fallen for her. Could you possibly know anything about her?”. She gasped and chuckled and said “That someone is around you. She can be someone you didn’t notice or you see her as nothing. Let me leave you this quote: Don’t find love, let love find you. That’s why it’s called falling in love. You don’t force yourself to fall, you just fall. But incase that won’t work on you; find someone who can help you. Remember that person you did something bad earlier? That person can be the one to help you.” I regain my hopes with everything she said, but I was a little surprised that nerd girl can be the key to help me find Sunny; So I thought about how to ask her to help me. “Kamasahamnida Madame Sarang! You really helped me!” I said. “You’re welcome! Do your best!”

I went out of the tent and thought about a plan, a plan to make ponytail girl help me. She’s mad at me and I know that she doesn’t want to see me either. The worst is I don’t even know her name.

The next day, when I got inside the classroom, I saw Taeyeon staring at the window; and unfortunately she’s my current seatmate. It was very awkward. When she noticed that I was about to seat, she quickly went out of the room. I know that she’s uncomfortable around me and all the blame is on me.

Then, I remembered that I should ask ponytail girl for help. So I walked near her place and I saw her holding a University Catalogue while reading a book entitled “1O Fast Ways to Earn Lots of Money”. I pity her and I felt like a bum at the same time. I realize that I don’t focus on studies too much, knowing that we have funds for any University I want; But she’s studying and working at the same time just to sustain their needs and her education


I tapped her softly. She faced me and ask softly “W-what do you want? Is it against the school rules to read a book?!” I laughed a little and replied “No! I didn’t come here to report you or anything. The truth is I want to ask for your help. Jebal?” I bowed at her. I thought that she would quickly refuse but she giggled and said “Don’t do that! Sure! I’ll help you.” I raised my head and said “Thank Y—“ she didn’t let me finished and said “Don’t thank me yet! My service fee is high! Pay me first.” What an opportunist. I laughed and said “Sure!”. I handed her the money and she asked “So, what will I do?”. After her question, I realized that I didn’t think of how she can help me; so I just simply said “Well, help me look for someone.”

 She looked surprised and said “I’m a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a thesaurus, an almanac and an atlas; but not a directory.” I was right! I think she isn’t the one to ask for help. Damn that fortuneteller! I was about to tell her that I would stop asking for her help, when she said “But! I can be Siri or a GPS to help you find the location of that someone” I got my hopes up and smiled. Then I asked “Before anything else, may I know your name?” She smiled and replied “Where’s the money?” I was surprised and said “What!? I need to pay you again?” “As I said, my service fee is high” she answered. I can’t do anything but pay her. “Annyeong! I’m Lee Soonkyu!” What an old-ish name! I thought to myself.

She continued blabbing about her name, when suddenly she said something that caught my attention. “Its nice having business with you Kim Junmyeon-ssi” I was shocked that she know my whole name so I asked “H-how did you know my name?!” “So you want to pay again?” She asked sarcastically. So I didn’t bothered to ask her, instead I just kept quiet. She broke the silence and asked “So, can you say some information about that someone?” “Well, she’s called Sunny, she’s good at singing, she can play instruments and she’s pretty; but I haven’t seen her in real though…” I said. “What?! That’s all?! So you’re a stalker?” she said. “No! I think I have… I have… f-fallen for her! It was love at first hear.” I said shyly. Then, she laughed hard and said “Haha! Love at first hear? Seriously? Anyway, I think I know the place where that so-called Sunny is.” She said

R-really?” I said. I was very happy and excited that time, it felt like this time she’s really near. Soonkyu didn’t answer; instead she grabbed my hand and dragged me to the 1st floor. There she pointed a girl with a short, straight almond hair and said “Park Sunny, Half-American, Rich, smart and beautiful. She’s treated as “Queen” in her class. Fluent in 7 languages namely: French, Spanish, English, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese and Thai. They said that when you hear her sing, it feels like the Muse Polyhymnia was the one singing. She won 3 times in a row in the National Music Competition playing the violin. She played Canon by Pachelbel, Eine Klein Nachtmusik by Mozart, and Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. I think she’s the one you’re looking for. Beware, rumors said that she’s a brat” I was amazed by her information. “I think she is! I’m positive.” I said with a smile. I was actually puzzled with what I felt upon seeing that Sunny. Something in the back of my mind is telling me that she's not the one, yet my mind keeps saying that she is the one. or so I thought. 

Why don’t you serenade her? You’re good at singing right?” I think this girl knows all what bouts of all the people. I replied “Do you think it would work? Hmm. Come to my place on weekends! Help me practice and pick a song!”. “Sure, but weekend fees are higher than weekdays!” Seriously? I don’t have choice, so I agreed.


Weekend came, and as I wait for Soonkyu, I set up the studio. Luckily my parents aren’t home. Then the doorbell rang. When I opened it I was surprised! A girl carrying a music notebook. Soonkyu was really different! Her hairstyle wasn’t the usual “ponytail”, it was just “straight” no ponytails, just a ribbon ornament. She also doesn’t wear her thick frame glasses. She was… She was really beautiful and cute. Why is my heart pounding?!You’re very beautiful!” I didn’t notice that I said that; it was my mouth who’s at fault! She chuckled and said “Hey! Thanks! Eomma says that to me all the time! I’m used to it”. “Why aren’t you wearing glasses? Can you see clearly?” I asked. “Haha! Those glasses are fraud! I just wear them to fit my nerdy image. I'm the school's nerd right?!” she said sarcastically and continued to laugh. “Then, that was all just a show?! Even the ponytails?” I was shocked. “Yes! Because common people recognize glasses as a nerd’s trademark! Also I think ponytails would fit my style!” she said. What a really weird girl, but honestly she looks really beautiful today--. What am I even saying?!

 I let her in then we went to the studio. “Wow! We never had a studio like this! I mean, this studio is as big as a house”. I was about to react, when she lie down on the floor and started to roll; she make a cute sound. I was hypnotized by her cuteness that moment, but I realize that time is running out. So I called her attention and get my guitar. She was staring closely while I was tuning my guitar, she asked while pointing at the tuner “What is that?“It’s a tuner. You use it to tune your guitar.” I answered. When I pluck the B string, she reacted “You’re off tune by quarter, turn it two times to right.” I was surprised that she knew so I asked “How did you know that? Do you play the guitar?” “I’m a perfect pitch, and yes I play too.” “Tch. What a hardcore nerd.” I thought to myself.

Then suddenly a thought came into my mind and my heart starts to beat in a different rhythm, W-What if this girl is the S-Sunny. I'm looking for?! Beautiful, petite and pure.. I-I need to hear her sing.. 

So I asked her to sing.. "Y-Ya, Soonkyu-ssi. C-Can I hear you sing?" She looked surprised then she smiled which suddenly made my heart pound. Why am I feeling like this?! She went near the piano and she started singing a song.

"Oneuldo nan anbureul mutjyo
Jichin harureul hollo georeoon naege
Sesangege billyeoon kkumeun
Harumankeum darhaman ganeunde

Ireon nado gwaenchanheulkkayo"


Author's / Third Person's POV

As the girl sang, the boy was enchanted he couldn't believe what he's hearing.. His heart was beating fast and his hands went cold. He can recognize the voice he heard summer 2 years ago. It feels like the one he has been looking for was now in front of his very eyes. He felt like crying due to happiness. In his heart, his now wishing that 'Soonkyu' is the Sunny she's looking for. 

After Soonkyu finished singing, Suho hurriedly played and sang the song;  He knows that in front of him is the girl he has been looking for, The girl he loves 

"Ojing-nobakke moreuneun geuron naya, Nomaneul saranghe jul saram baro naya, Nol mannan sesangi,Negen gijok gateun irira geuron goya..". 


Suho's POV 

I looked into her eyes as I sang.. I waited for her to sing the next words.

"Y-You're Sunny r-right? You're the one I've been looking for.." I said to her as tears roll down my face.

She looked down and said nothing. Then, a thought came to my mind that maybe I'm being delusional, maybe she's really not the Sunny I'm looking for. but then she slightly opened and I saw tears falling from her eyes..

 

"Ojing-nomaneul wonhaneun geuron naya,Nomaneul jikyo jul saramdo baro naya, Ni gyote noman baraboneun geuge naya miryonhan naya.." I started crying as she sang the words I wanted to hear. Then I sang with her with all my might.. I knew it! She's the girl I'm looking for.. Sunny.. 

 

After that I hugged her because she was still crying. “All along you know that you’re the one I’m looking for right?” I asked. “N-Nae” She answered. “Then why didn’t you say so? Then you also referred me to some other girl!” I asked with a sad voice. “Because I know that fate will bring us together, and I know that your love will be able to find me. Just like the quote I told you last time..” She giggled.

I was surprised and said “What?! What quote?! W-Wait!  You mean you’re Madame Sarang too?! Just how many times did you fooled me?” I asked with a cute voice. “I’m sorry I just want to test you…” she said softly. “Haha! Don’t worry no matter how many times you fool me, I will always try to understand you. I’m sorry if it took too long for me to find you. Now I will never let you go.” I replied. She cried even harder and she’s hugging me tighter. I know that my feelings already reached her.

So I gathered my strength and said “Sunny! No… Soonkyu!! you’re the missing lyrics that completes my song. I love you…

Suho! well you’re the missing tune that completes my melody… I love you too.” She said smiling.

My heart beats fast upon hearing those words, and I didn’t notice that I was already smiling. I hugged her tightly and kissed her forehead. Then I said “I’m glad that I finally found you.


Fin~ 


Author's Note

Sorry if it's not the beautiful! Still a newbie here! I actually made this for my English Project last year just made some revisions! Hope you like it!! Hearteu~

The songs are It's me (Sunny & Luna) and 2nd Drawer (Sunny)