Chapter 6

The New Pretender

THE NEW PRETENDER

Disclaimed: I do not own any of the characters from The Pretender tv show, or to the many idols that I use in this story.

Chapter Six

               The police and the K-9s were scouting around the trees looking for Hye Kyung Lee, Kris and Eric. Miss Kim was looking also but was coming up with nothing. She started getting upset when she saw something ahead of her. As she walked she came into a clearing. She looked to her right and saw more trees but when she looked to her left she saw something that made her eyes light up in happiness. It was Kris’s truck. It was still stuck in the ravine with the nose in the water. She climbed down to the driver’s side and peered in. She looked around and was trying to figure out how they got away. She noticed that the keys was still in the ignition, so she took those and was about to leave the ravine when she spotted something on the other side of the ravine. She used the trucks hood as a step and walked over to what she saw. It was a piece of cloth. And it had a medium amount of blood stained on it. She figured it had to be either Hye Kyung’s or Kris’s. She hoped that it was Kris’s because she didn't want to mess with Hye Kyung. She took it and placed it in her coat pocket. And then walked away.

 

Back in the cave...

Hye Kyung was trying to open the steel door but it would not open. She tried every angle and it wouldn't budge.

She sat down next to Kris and said, “Well, I guess we are caught. I don't know how to get in."

Kris looked at her and spoke, “Don't say that Hye Kyung. We will get out of this...somehow." Then he thought of something that Jun Jin once taught him.

Jun Jin once told him to look at his surroundings and try to really check to see if there was another way out. So, he looked at Hye Kyung and said, “Why don't you keep looking. I know you can find the way in. All you have to do is just keep looking. This cave will keep them guessing for a day or so."

               He said, as Hye Kyung looked at him. She sighed and then got up and went over to the cave walls. She took her hands and felt every crevice and holes and other things. She felt high and felt low and she was just about to give up when her hand touched something near the steel door. Her hand went through the brush, and she went over and pulled them aside to reveal an opening. It was small so they would have to go on their hands and knees. She looked over at Kris and smiled.

She said, "Look Kris. I found an opening. I don't know where it leads but we could look."

Kris smiled back and got up and walked over to the opening. As Kris got on his knees he looked inside and noticed it was very dark. He looked over at Hye Kyung and said, “Maybe you should go. It is big enough for you but too small for me. Just forget about me."

As he said that, Hye Kyung looked over at him and slapped him in the face. "How dare you say that. Both of us are going in. I don't want to hear anymore crap from you about me leaving you...I made it this far with you and I'm not about to give up on you."

Then she felt in her knapsack that she had around her waist and took out a flashlight. She looked at Kris and then said, "Now MOVE!"

She pushed him inside along with the flashlight. She then looked back through the brush and tried to make it look like it was never touched. She then took out a bottle and sprayed it all over the brush. She then went on her hands and knees and caught up with Kris. As they were getting farther they both heard something that made their hairs stand up...Miss Kim.

Outside the cave...

               Miss Kim and her team got to the cave and looked around. They looked high and low for any sign of Kris and Hye Kyung. She started to get very aggravated and walking back and forth when she noticed the same blood stains that were on the cloth right at her feet. There was a lot of blood at the entrance to the cave. Her team and even Miss Kim tried to open the steel door but it wouldn't budge. She went back over to the blood stain and took out some Kleenex and dabbed some of the blood on it to find out whose blood that was.

Then all of a sudden one of the police officers found the small entrance and called her over, "Miss Kim I found something."

She looked over at them and walked up to see them peering into a dark hole behind the brush. She bent down and peered in and knew that it was too small for Kris and it would be too small for her. She got up and walked over to the Captain. "How far does this small cave go to?"

"Well, I don't know. I never knew that this was even here. It must have been hidden for some time." said the captain.

"Well, give me an estimate, then." She said getting more and more aggravated.

"Ok. Then I would have to say maybe 10 maybe 20 miles at least." said the captain. At the sound of that, Miss Kim’s eyes opened. She looked away for a minute then looked back at the Captain.

"Do, you or your men have any plans or things for underground mines of this area?" Miss Kim asked.

"Well, I don't know. But let me check." Then he walked away.

Inside the cave...

               As Kris and Hye Kyung were going along they noticed different other paths to take but they kept going straight. Maybe that might lead them out. As they were going farther they both felt a huge burst of cool air hit them. Then they both fell a foot. They got up and looked around. Kris and Hye Kyung could not believe what they saw. They looked around and everywhere they looked they saw a tomb. So, they both went and started looking at the tombs. Hye Kyung looked at the first tomb and read the inscription:

Rose Lee

A Pretender from

Gyeongsangnam-do

1819-1849

Then Kris found another inscription. It read:

Jinyoung Park

A Pretender from

Busan

1830-1860

Then Hye Kyung was looking and found another inscription:

Minwoo Kim

A Pretender from

Ulsan

1840-1870

Then as they both looked around they finally reached the one in the middle and they both read the inscription and the look on Kris’s face was shocking. It read:

Chansung Shin

A Pretender from

Gyeongsangbuk-do

1800-1830

Here was the very 1st Pretender ever made. And none of these were even related to Miss Kim or her father. Her father may have made some Pretenders but these were the very first ones. There must be at least 100 Pretender tombs down here.

Hye Kyung looked at Kris and spoke, “Kris, do you see a pattern here?"

"What do you mean?" Kris asked.

"Well, look at the dates." Hye Kyung said as she looked around.

"Ok. So, what is their significance?" Kris asked.

"Well, if you really look, all of these Pretenders were 30 yrs old when they all died. Not one is older than 30. And also it looks like there were no more than 2 at a time. This must be where all of the Pretenders go when their services are not needed anymore." Hye Kyung said. Then they looked up from the middle tomb and saw another opening in the cave wall. So they decided to leave and start looking for a way out.

Outside the cave...

The captain came back to Miss Kim with the plans and excavations of the area. From what it looks on the map there are hundreds of underground passageways. The only thing on the map that shows very big to walk around was a huge opening maybe a few feet from the entrance of the little hole beside the door.

She looked up from the map and spoke to the captain, "Can you tell me what this area is?"

"Well, ma'am we bury people that we don't need anymore. Like the sick, diseased, and/or dying." said the captain. She was shocked at what she just heard from the captain.

"Is there a way to get down there without using that small hole?" asked Miss Kim.

"Well, let’s see." said the captain as he looked on the map. "Well, it looks like it is a tunnel and there are some openings but the one you are looking for is over here."

Miss Kim looked at the map and couldn't help but smile. She kept thinking that she will finally catch Kris.

So, she looks at the captain and said, "Ok. Let’s go." She got back in the car. Her team, she and the captain drove off toward the opening of the tunnel. Miss Kim hoping that when she reached it she would finally have Kris.

Inside the cave...

"I can't believe how long this tunnel is." Kris said while he and Hye Kyung were looking for a way out.

As they were looking for a way out, Hye Kyung spoke, “Kris. Why did you save me?" Kris stopped and turned around and looked at Hye Kyung.

"Why did I save you? Hye Kyung...you are a young girl that needs to be young." said Kris.

As Kris was walking away Hye Kyung shouted to him, “That is not an answer! Why did you save me?" Kris stopped again and looked at Hye Kyung.

"Okay, you want to know why I saved you. The reason is because I can't stand what The Centre is doing to these kids. Understand that I was just like you. But, look at me now. I'm getting chased to go back to the one place that I dread. I finally found my parents and I find out about you. That is why I saved you." As he was saying this he saw the deer-in-the-headlight-look and knew that he had said what he needed to say.

Then Hye Kyung said something that made Kris cringe, “You know, Miss Kim isn't that bad once you get to know her."

Kris spun around and walked right up to her, making her stand still. "Miss Kim is ALL bad! She is the one that is chasing us. If you keep this up I just might decide to leave you here and let her catch you! Don't let me hear you say stuff like that again!" He said as he shook her so she would understand.

               He then turned around and started walking when he heard sobbing. He turned around and saw Hye Kyung sitting on the very spot Kris left her with her legs pushed up against her chest. She was crying. Kris could not believe this. He walked over to Hye Kyung and then sat down next to her. He looked at her but she made no acknowledgement that she felt him near her. Then, he put his arm around her and she moved so she was leaning on his chest. She cried in his embrace for a minute. After she cried herself out she sat up and looked at him with tear-stained eyes.

"I'm sorry." Hye Kyung said.

"It is okay. I'm sorry for yelling at you. I know that you are going through some tough times right now." Kris said to calm her and make her understand that he is here to help her.

Outside the cave...

Miss Kim and the captain were in his car and she was on her cell phone. "Yes. I want the rest of the team to come out here so that we can finally get our job done." She said as she was sitting there. "Okay. Just have them ready then. I'll call to let you know." Then she hung up.

She was just about to put her phone away when it rang again. The captain looked at her and she looked at him. Then she answered it and couldn't believe who was talking to her right now. "What!"

"Boy, I haven't talked to you in like 7 hours. That must be a record for me." Said the low voice on the other end. Miss Kim just stared out the windshield and for once couldn't think of what to say.

"Kris. I was wondering when you were going to call. I was getting worried that you were eaten by a wolf or died of dehydration." Miss Kim said while smiling.

She saw the captain look at her when she said that. "Oh, come now, Miss Kim. This may be the desert but there are no wolves in the desert. And I think I know better than to stand in the sun and get dehydrated. You should know me better than that." Kris said.

"Where is your location, Kris?” Miss Kim asked.

"Well, wouldn't you just like to know that answer? Well, this one you will have to figure out yourself. Cause me and Hye Kyung are getting out of this thing.” Kris said.

Miss Kim was sitting there smirking and then her face became grim. "Kris. I need to warn you about something. It has to do with Hye Kyung.” Kris looked at Hye Kyung as she sat where Hye Kyung left her to talk on his phone.

He smiled. "Miss Kim there is nothing wrong with her. She is perfectly safe with me and I'm getting her out of this."

"Kris, I'm just telling you that Mr. Choi has trained her so that she would kill anyone and even capture you. She may be 13 but she has more power than you know." Kris looked at Hye Kyung again and said in the phone.

"Well, I guess we'll just find out, won't we?" Then he hung up before Miss Kim could say anything.

Kris turned around to find Hye Kyung gone. He looked around frantically but couldn't find her. He searched around and couldn't figure out where she went to. Just then he turned around and saw Hye Kyung running at him with what looks like a knife in her right hand. She lunged at him but he moved out of the way in time. She almost lost her balance but regained it and turned around to lunge at him again.

"Hye Kyung, what are you doing? I'm trying to help you." Kris said while trying to stay one step ahead of Hye Kyung so she doesn't stab him.

               She doesn't say anything while she lunges. Finally, Kris thinks to himself that he has to put a stop to this. He grabs her wrist with the knife and brings it down on his knee...making the knife fall from Hye Kyung’s hand. Then he went and hit her...knocking her out. She fell to floor unconscious. Kris stood over her and tried to think of what to do with her. He, picked her up and carried her over his shoulder. He walked and was silently looking through some of the smaller open passages to see where he was. He has been walking for about 4 hours now and was starting to show his strain. He stopped by a small open passage and laid Hye Kyung on the ground. He then went to one of the holes and knelt down and felt the nice cool nighttime breeze. He ended up falling asleep where he sat. He woke up hearing cars passing by. He looked out and saw about six cars speeding past him. He looked over by Hye Kyung and saw she was still laying where Kris left her. Because of the sleep, he got his strength back and decided to start walking and carrying Hye Kyung.

Outside the cave...

"Well, Miss Kim. We are here. This is the end of the line." Said the captain as everyone got out of the cars.

Miss Kim looked and saw a huge opening to the tunnel. She stared at it and smiled. She will finally show her father that she is capable of taking on Kris. "Good. Now let’s start going in there." said Miss Kim as she started walking toward the entrance. But, then she was held back by hard hands. She turned around to see the captain. "What are you doing, captain? They are in there and I want to get them out."

"Not like this you don't. This place is sacred...I will not let you go in there with your gun." he said. She stared at him with angry eyes and then looked at the entrance. She was just about to say something when she looked around and noticed she was outnumbered anyway. So, she gave the captain her gun.

He gave it to one of his men and said to her, "You'll get them back when you leave the tunnel." So, then Miss Kim, the captain and three of his men started walking toward the entrance. The same entrance that Kris is walking toward.

Back inside the cave...

               As Kris was walking faster he overheard voices. It stopped him in his tracks because he heard a voice that made him cringe. Miss Kim! He turned around and started walking the other way briskly. He kept turning around to make sure that no one was following him. The voices started getting farther and farther away. All of a sudden, he felt something move on his shoulder and knew that Hye Kyung was waking up.  She opened her eyes to see the walls going away from her and then looked down to see she was hanging over Kris’s shoulder. But, she didn't want to stay like that so she started so move and she kept telling Kris to put her down. Kris didn’t want to do that. So, he kept walking. Her voice started rising and he kept himself from hitting the girl but soon he kept thinking she is going to ask for it. So, finally he lowered her to the ground and grabbed her wrist and pulled her with him the other way.

“Kris, what are you doing? Let go of me. I thought we were leaving. Why are we going back this way?" Hye Kyung kept struggling but she couldn't shake his hand off her. "Kris!”

All at once he turned around and looked at her. "Hye Kyung, be quiet! I'm not going to let you go, okay. Miss Kim is at the other end and I'm not going to get caught. So, keep your voice down and do as I say!" Then he pulled her with him as they walked.

               As he started getting near to the other part of the cave he felt the pain again. In his rib cage. He stopped and dropped to his knees clutching his ribs. Hye Kyung stood there shocked. Hye Kyung kept wondering where Major Eric was. She was also looking around for a place to run. She started to run to an opening when she looked around and saw Kris collapse. She couldn't believe this. She just stood there looking at Kris and then looked at the opening and pondered over which one. She finally chose Kris. She walked over to him and tried to lift him up but he was just too heavy. She was near the mouth of the cave and trying to pull Kris up when she felt hands over her waist. She jerked back and rammed into the person behind her. She fell on her back and looked up to see a very angry Major Eric. Then he looked inside the cave and saw Kris’s body. He was at the mouth of the cave so Major Eric just started pulling him up by his jacket collar. As he got Kris all the way out he heard the dreadful sound of voices. He turned and carried his son to a waiting car. He piled Kris in and was about to get in himself when he noticed Hye Kyung was standing at the mouth of the cave.

Inside the cave...

"Captain, all I'm saying is that Kris needs to be with his own people. We have brought him up since his parents past away and I need to bring him back." said Miss Kim.

"Miss Kim…” then he was cut off by her phone.

She answered it, "What!"

"Well, I see why Kris likes talking to you. You have a very harsh attitude." said Major Eric.

"Major Eric. How nice to talk to you. Where is Kris?” Miss Kim asked.

"Kris is not up for talking. He is coming with me along with the girl." he said. Then Miss Kim heard him call Hye Kyung and she heard her object to his command.

"Having a little trouble, Major Eric?" asked Miss Kim as she ran toward the entrance.

"Nothing I can't handle." said Major Eric. All of a sudden Miss Kim heard a scream at the mouth of the cave and ran to it, only to see Major Eric push Hye Kyung inside the car.

But she didn't see Kris. "He must be inside there too. Damn it!"

Inside the car...

               As Major Eric was trying to calm Hye Kyung down the driver was noticing some black cars coming after them. Major Eric turned to look and noticed them and told him to punch the gas. They were ahead of the black cars until they finally slowed down. The driver looked in the rear view mirror and noticed it and pushed off the gas. Major Eric was still busy trying to tell Hye Kyung that he took her to save her. Then, he looked in the back seat and saw his son still unconscious. They drove on to the nearest town. As night was beginning to fall, Hye Kyung fell asleep on Major Eric’s lap with her head on his chest. He looked down at her and thought she looked peaceful. Finally the next day they came upon a town. Major Eric found out where the hospital was and brought Kris in. The hospital bandaged his ribs and told him that he could leave now. Major Eric decided to find a hotel for them tonight. He gave Kris and Hye Kyung one room and he took the adjoining room. As they were getting themselves settled...Major Eric came into the room and sat down. He saw Hye Kyung sitting in the chair and Kris was lying on the bed. He lifted his head to see his father walk in the room. He looked at Hye Kyung who just stared at him and then put her head down.

Major Eric spoke first, “Hye Kyung. What were you doing back over there at the cave? Were you trying to get yourself taken or even killed?" Hye Kyung didn’t look up.

She didn't want to look in the face that she swore looked like Mr. Choi when he was angry. “Hye Kyung, look at me!”

Her head shot up and both Major Eric and Kris saw her tear-stained cheeks and knew she was crying. Kris walked over to Hye Kyung and touched her only to feel her cringe and start shaking. Major Eric and Kris looked at each other and then at Hye Kyung.

Kris spoke, “Hy Kyung are you okay? Is something wrong?”

They had to strain their ears to hear Hye Kyung speak, “Please don't hit me. I'm sorry." Then she looked up. "I don't mean to be mean. Please I'm really sorry." Then she started sobbing again.

Kris took her over to the other bed and sat her down. He sat next to her and rubbed her back while she cried. He held her until she finished crying.

Then Major Eric asked, “Did someone hit you before?" Hye Kyung looked up at Major Eric and nodded. Then she looked down. They both looked at each other. Then Kris felt Hye Kyung go limp and carried her to the other bed and laid her down and covered her up with the comforter.

At the Centre...

"Kim, Kim, Kim…you lost him again. Geez can you at any time get him?" Changmin said while he was looking through Mr. Kim’s desk. Miss Kim closed the doors and stood there. She was not in the best of moods. She walked over to the desk and slammed her hands down making him jump back.

"If you still want to be alive and stay as my brother, then you better not ask me that question again." She said in her low angry voice. Changmin sat in the chair and had the deer-in-the-headlight-look. Then she asked, "Where is my father?"

"You mean "our" father? I don't know." Changmin said.

"Well, that depends if you keep acting like an idiot and asking stupid questions. I'll go look for him." said an aggravated Miss Kim.

Just as she left Changmin let his breath go and out came Mr. Choi from in the adjoining room. "I swear that woman will give me a heart attack." Mr. Choi said.

"Well, at least we know that Kris is taking very good care of your invention." Changmin said.

"Yes. I'm surprised that his body hasn't turned up anywhere. Or even where is Hye Kyung?” said Mr. Choi.

"Don't worry, Mr. Choi. We will get them both back. And kill Major Eric.” They both smiled at one another.

 

To be continued...

 

Sorry that I haven't updated this story in a long time. I finally had some time to update.

 

The characters in this chapter are:

Catherine is Hye Kyung Lee

Mr. Lyle is Changmin Shim

Miss Parker is Hyuna Kim

Sydney Greene is Jun Jin

Jarod Russell (Pretender) is Kris Wu

William Raines is Seunghyun Choi (T.O.P.)

Major Charles (Jarod's father) is Eri Wu

 

Please leave some feedback and let me know what you think of the chapter so far. I have 8 more chapters left until the story is completed.

And if at all possible if you could upvote the story.

 

I want to thank everyone who has stayed with the story while I was busy with school and work.

 

And as always....

 

                                                                           SUBSCRIBE and COMMENT!!