Chapter 4

The New Pretender

THE NEW PRETENDER

Chapter Four:

In the Centre...

 

     A doctor was at a bedside and was taking a pulse, tempature and making sure that person is doing ok. It is Hye Kyung's bedside. At the foot of her bed is standing Mr. Choi. He is watching every move the doctor is making to find out what happened. After an hour of examining Hye Kyung the doctor took off his stethescope and looked at Mr. Choi. He walked over to him and took his arm walking a little from Hye Kyung.

 

The doctor spoke first, "Mr. Choi, has Hye Kyung been around any detergents, poisons, or toxins?"

 

"Not that I know of. Why?" Mr. Choi asked.

 

"Well, Hye Kyung has been poisoned very badly. If no one had caught her and called me she could have died." When the doctor said that Mr. Choi sat down on one of the chairs in the bedroom.

 

"I have a suggestion but I want to run it by you first before I do anything." asked the doctor.

 

"What is the suggestion, doctor?" Mr. Choi asked confused.

 

"Well, I don't know if you will agree to this. But I was going to suggest taking Hye Kyung to the hospital and running some tests and getting her stomach pumped." said the doctor.

 

"That is out of the question, doctor. She is NOT leaving this building. You will perform everything here." said an aggitated Mr Choi.

 

"How can I? I don't have my medical kit and I cannot take any of the machines that can do the job." The doctor looked at Mr. Choi but Mr. Choi was staring at him coldly. Then Mr. Shim walked into the room and pulled Mr. Choi aside.

 

He said to Mr. Choi, "We should just let the doctor take her to the hospital. If she doesn't get any help...she will die." Then, Mr. Choi looked at Mr. Shim then they looked at the doctor.

 

Mr. Choi said to Mr. Shim, "Can we trust him?"

 

"Don't worry...I trust him. I have worked with him for a long long time." said Mr Shim.

 

"Ok. You better hope that we can trust him." Then, Mr. Choi walked out of the door.

 

Mr. Shim, looked back at his doctor friend, "So, Seungho. What hospital are you taking her?"

 

"I'm taking her to Dearborn. There she will be treated by a Dr. Knight." said Dr Young.

 

"Ok. Thanks Seungho. How long will it take for her to get better?" Mr. Shim asked.

 

"Well, that depends on how bad the poison was that got into her system. It could be from a few days to a week or two weeks. But, I would have to say Hye Kyung will probably stay in the hospital for at least 3 days."

 

"Ok. Thanks again, Seungho." He then shook hands with the doctor.

 

"Your welcome, Shim." said Dr. Young.

 

At Dearborn Hospital...

 

At the hospital...the nurses and doctors were dealing with their patients when Dr. Seungho Young came in with Hye Kyung. He put her in a wheelchair and asked the nurse at the desk, "Is there a room that is free?"

 

"Uh, let's see...room 15 is still available. You can take that room." said the nurse.

 

"Thanks." Then he turned down the aisle leading to room 15 and opened the door. He wheeled Hye Kyung inside and helped her to the bed. He then hooked her up to some machines and gave her something to make her sleep. Then he left the room.

 

He walked up to the nurses station again, "Can you tell me where Dr. Knight is?"

 

"He is in room 25 with a victim of a shooting." said the nurse.

 

"Thanks again." He said, as he started walking down the aisle.

 

"Your welcome." The nurse said softly knowing the doctor couldn't hear her. He almost reached room 25 when Jarod walked out. He was cleaning his hands as he shut the door.

 

Dr. Young stopped in front of Kris, "How is he?"

 

"Oh, he will be fine. The bullet missed all the main arteries. We're going to keep him overnight and maybe tomorrow night to just watch him." said Kris.

 

"Sounds good to me." Kris could almost sense there was something troubleing Dr. Young.

 

"Dr. Young are you ok?" asked a worried Kris.

 

"I'm fine Kris. I need you to come with me to see a patient." said Dr. Young.

 

"Ok." Kris said as he was led to room 15 where Hye Kyung was sleeping. Dr. Young entered the room and ushered Kris into the room. He walked to the foot of her bed and looked at her chart. He looked up at her with shock and horror. Dr. Young left when Kris was checking up on Hye Kyung. He walked over to Hye Kyung's right side and checked her pulse and everything. He sat down and brushed her bangs that were on her eyelids. He sat there and talked softly so as not to wake her, "Well, Hye Kyung. I'm going to take care of you now. You won't have to go back to the Centre ever again."

 

Back at the Centre...

 

That afternoon in the Centre...Miss Kim came up in the elevator and was looking everywhere for Mr. Shim. She kept thinking that she is going to give him a piece of her mind for leaving her alone for 3 hours. She found him in her father's office and also noticed that Mr. Choi was sitting on the leather couch. She walked in and closed the doors. She saw Mr. Shim sitting at the desk. He stood up when he saw her walk in. She looked very stunning. She had a black leather skirt on that came a little above the knees. She had a tan silk shirt on with a red sport coat on.

 

She looked from Mr. Shim to Mr. Choi and spoke, "Oh, look the fox and the snake. In one room. Now isn't that interesting." She said as she looked at Mr. Shim.

 

"What do u want, Miss Kim? We're very busy here." said Mr. Shim.

 

"Where were you, Shim?" She said coldly.

 

"I was called at the last minute to look in on the girl. Why? Oh wait, weren't you looking for Kris?" said Mr Shim.

 

"Yes. I was...I have been looking for him for 3 hours. And I thought you were coming to help me but now I see that the fox and the snake" she was looking at Mr. Choi when she said that "are working together."

 

"Miss Kim, I'm not going to deal with this. I'm very very busy. Plus I have to stop by at the hospital." said Mr Shim.

 

"What for?" asked Miss Kim.

 

"Well, if you haven't noticed...Hye Kyung is not here." Mr. Shim said.

 

"Shim, how can I have noticed she was NOT here. I was out ALL day. Now, tell me why is she at the hospital?" she looked at Mr. Choi. "You couldn't handle all the pressure of raising her?"

 

"No, Miss Kim. She was poisoned and she almost died. I was glad that we were able to get some help for her." said Mr Choi. At those words, Miss Kim's eyes grew red. She knew something was up when Mr. Choi decided to train her. She almost died and no one bat's an eye. But if Hye Kyung almost dies they get the ambulance and everything.

 

"Which hospital is she in?" asked Miss Kim.

 

"Dearborn." Shim said.

 

"Thanks. I think I'll see her tomorrow." She said as she was walking out of the room.

 

"Miss Kim. You are not allowed to see her. I will NOT let you corrupt her mind. That is mine." said an angry Mr Choi.

 

"Oh, right I forgot you're going to use her mind to fill that empty void between your eyes?" She said as she smiled. "Don't worry, Choi. I won't corrupt her mind as seeing as you have already done that." She then opened the door and walked out. Mr. Shim and Mr. Choi were left in the room by themselves. Mr. Choi got up and walked over to Shim.

 

"She is very annoying. If Hye Kyung did her job I wouldn't have to put up with her." He looked at Shim and then he too walked out of the room leaving Shim to walking back to his father's desk and sitting back in the chair.

 

At Dearborn later that night...

 

At the hospital...Kris came into Hye Kyung's room noticing that she was awake. He walked over to her. "Oh, I see my patient is awake. How do you feel, Hye Kyung?"

 

"I feel like crap." She said.

 

"Don't worry. Eventually, it will all go away." said Kris with a smile.

 

"I hope so. I have a job to do for someone." She said as she tried to position herself so that she don't cramp.

 

"So, Hye Kyung, what sort of job do you do?" Kris asks, curiously.

 

"Oh, I'm a tracker." She says.

 

"A tracker? What is that?" asked Kris.

 

"I'm tracking a fugitive and I need to bring him back to some people." She said. Kris was beginning to get nervous cause he is staring in the eyes of the one person he is supposed to be avoiding. So, while he was looking at her chart, he can feel her eyes on him. Which is what she was doing. She startled him when she called him, "Hey, Dr. Knight. Can I have a drink of water?"

 

"Sure, you can." Kris said. He went out to a water fountain and brought back a styrafoam cup with nice cool water in it. He handed it to Hye Kyung who then took the pills that he gave her for any pain and to also sleep well.

 

As he was about to leave he heard Hye Kyung saying something, "Thanks. Goodnight...Kris." He turned around and walked over to her bed and found her fast asleep. He was beginning to feel nervous cause he didn't want to get caught.

 

Still at Dearborn the next morning...

 

The next morning...Miss Kim came into Dearborn Hospital and demanded to see Hye Kyung. So, one of the nurses directed her to Hye Kyung's room. She opened the door and stepped inside. She saw Hye Kyung lying on the bed. She appeared pale, and thin. She sat down on the edge of her bed. She looked at Hye Kyung, "How are you doing sweety?" She said as she touched Hye Kyung's hand and was shocked when the hand didn't move.

 

"I'm doing fine." Hye Kyung said in a small voice.

 

"That is good. Do you know when you can go home?" asked a caring Miss Kim.

 

"The doctor said in 2 days." said a very pale Hye Kyung.

 

"I'm happy to hear that." Miss Kim says with a smile.

 

"Me to." said Hye Kyung.

 

"Have the doctors told you what happened?" asked Miss Kim.

 

"The doctors and nurses told me I was poisoned very severly. And they said, I could've died if Mr. Shim hadn't brought me in the hospital." said Hye Kyung.

 

"Mr. Shim brought you in?" Miss Kim asked shocked.

 

"Yes. He was really worried about me." said Hye Kyung.

 

Then, one of the nurses walked in, "I'm sorry to do this but it is time for Hye Kyung's rest. You can come back tomorrow." she said as she looked at Miss Kim and then at Hye Kyung.

 

"Thanks, Nurse Williams." Miss Kim said as she looked at the nurses name tag.

 

"Your welcome." said the nurse. Then Miss Kim left and Nurse Williams was giving Hye Kyung her medicine and having her rest.

 

The next morning, Hye Kyung woke up in the hospital again. She looked around and noticed that Kris was standing at the foot of her bed. "Dr. Knight." Kris looked up to see Hye Kyung awake. "You know you look so familiar." Kris just looked at her and didn't say a word.

 

Then he said, "Everyone says that to me. I just have that look, I guess." says Kris.

 

"I guess so." said Hye Kyung.

 

"Get some rest, Hye Kyung. I'll be in a few hours to look in on you."

 

"Ok." she said. She then closed her eyes. And she slept.

Kris walked out of her room. He leaned against her door and thought, that was close. Hye Kyung does know who I am. But I can't let her think that she does. Then he walked away.

 

Back at the Centre...

 

The next day, Jun Jin's phone was ringing. Jun Jin picked it up and answered, "Jun Jin."

 

"I just saw her." said Kris.

 

"You did. Did she recognize you?" asked Jun Jin.

 

"I think she does know who I am but all of the medication is blocking her mind." said Kris.

 

"I see." said Jun Jin.

 

"So. What does Miss Kim think of all of this?" Kris asks while he's walking through a cemetery.

 

"Well, she thinks this is crazy. She still wants to get her out but she's just going to keep an eye on her." said Jun Jin.

 

"I see." Kris says as he stops at a grave.

 

"Kris, you have to be careful. Cause either Hye Kyung or Miss Kim can catch you." says a worried Jun Jin.

 

"I will be careful. Thanks for the insight." Then they hung up. Kris then kneels down in front of the grave. He wipes away some leaves from the front. There inscribed was what he was looking at:

 

Kevin Russell

 

Born: 1971-1998

 

We miss our brother, son and

 

best friend

 

May God be with you always

 

    Kris places some flowers on the ground in front of the headstone and then just looks at the headstone. He misses his brother very much. He wishes he had more time with Kevin. Then, he stands up still looking at the headstone. As Kris was walking away, he noticed something shiny on the ground next to the gravesite. He walks over and picks up the shiny object. He looks at it in his hands and notices it is a Celtic Cross necklace. He tries to think of who wears a Celtic Cross necklace like this. He knows that no one in his family wears a necklace like that. So, he decides to take the necklace and places it in his coat pocket. Then, he walks away.

 

At the Hospital...

 

     For the next 3 days, Kris helps Hye Kyung with getting the rest of the poison out of her system. Not once, did she even ask him who he really is. But, he knows in the back of his mind that she knows who he really is underneath the white doctor coat. So, after the 3rd day, Kris calls Jun Jin and tells him that she is free go back home. Right before he dismisses Hye Kyung an older gentleman comes in and walks over to the nurses' station. He asks for Kris. The nurse calls for Kris Knight. At first, Kris was a little nervous coming to the nurse cause he didn't know who was looking for him. As he looks out he notices a familar face. It was Major Eric Russell. He shuts Hye Kyung's door and then he walked over to his dad and pulls him away. Kris looks around making sure no one is around and starts talking to his dad. "Dad, what are you doing here?"

 

"I came to help you out." said Major Eric Russell.

 

"What do you mean?" Kris asks.

 

"I decided to come and help you get Hye Kyung away from the Centre." Major Eric Russell said.

 

"I don't want to get you in the middle of all this."said Kris.

 

"Kris, you got me involved when I saw your clone and we decided to take him in." Major Eric Russell said as he looked at Kris.

 

"Well, you can take her and I'll sign her discharge." said Kris.

 

"Deal." Major Eric Russell says.

     Major Eric Russell walked into Hye Kyung's room and noticed that she was still asleep due to the medication. He picked her up and walked out. Kris went and discharged Hye Kyung saying in the report that her father came to pick her up. As he was watching his dad take Hye Kyung he looks out through the double front doors and notices Jun Jin and Miss Kim walking through. He rushes inside a room and changes out of the doctor outfit and into an EMT. He walks out of the room making sure no one is watching. Before he leaves he looks for Jun Jin and Miss Kim. He notices them standing at the nurses station.

 

He overhears Miss Kim, "We are here to pick up Hye Kyung Choi."

 

"Well, Ms Choi has already been picked up." The nurse says as she is looking through the discharge book.

 

"Really. Who picked her up?" Miss Kim asked.

 

"Why, her father of course." Both Jun Jin and Miss Kim looked at each other.

 

Then Jun Jin looked at the nurse, "Who, was the doctor that treated Hye Kyung?"

 

"It was Dr. Knight. He treated her." the nurse said as she looked up from her paperwork.

 

"Can you tell us where this Dr. Knight is now?" asked Miss Kim.

 

"I'm sorry. I don't really know. At one minute he is here and the next he disappeared." The nurse said as she looks back down at her paperwork. As Miss Kim starts to walk away, her eyes catch site of a name on the doctor board. It was Kris. She looks at Jun Jin and then they walked out. As they walk out of the hospital they see a pickup truck driving past them. They get a glimpse of Kris and his dad. They run to their car and get in. She gets in the drivers side and puts the car in gear. They drive off and the chase begins.

 

Kris driving pickup truck...

 

    Kris and his dad are sitting in the pickup and Hye Kyung is sitting in the middle still asleep. He starts to drive faster and then looks behind him to see Miss Kim's car. She has almost caught up to them. All of a sudden Kris looks in his rear-view mirror and sees Miss Kim's gun pointed right at him. She fires and breaks the back window making both cower down. Kris starts to drive even faster. He tries to outrun Miss Kim by driving into every ally and still could not get her off his tail. Then, he notices there is a dirt road up on the left side. He decides to take the dirt road and loose them that way. He has a dirt road truck. As he turns he looks behind him and sees Miss Kim doing the same thing. Then he started driving faster on the road and then notices that it is muddy due to it raining yesterday. So, he decides to loose them that way. Dirt and mud flying everywhere as he trails through driving around 60 or 70 mph. As he is driving he swerves this way and swerves that way and still can't get her off his tail. Until Kris notices a huge dip in the path. As he nears it he doesn't let up on the gas and literally flies over the dip. But, Miss Kim's car is not equipped to do that kind of thing. As she puts pressure on her breaks she slides on the mud and her front of the car ends in a big puddle of muddy water. Kris stops the truck and gets out to make sure that Miss Kim and Jun Jin are okay. As he nears the edge he sees Miss Kim get out of the car and aim her gun at him and fires. She misses him and he runs back into the truck and drives away leaving Miss Kim and Jun Jin alone. She looks at Jun Jin and then got up on the embankment behind the car. Then she kicks the back tire and takes her cellphone out of her coat pocket. She calls for a tow truck. Jun Jin looks on as he watches the dust left back by Kris's truck. Jun Jin turns and produces a small smile as he turns to look at Miss Kim and the smile fades.

 

Jun Jin hears Miss Kim say to him, "This is great. Just great."

 

To be continued...

Characters used in this story are:

Catherine as Hye Kyung Lee

Mr. Lyle as Changmin Shim

Miss Parker as Hyuna Kim

Sydney Greene as Jun Jin

Jarod Russell/Dr. Knight as Kris

Mr. William Raines as Seunghyun (T.O.P) Choi

Kyle Russell (deceased) as Kevin

Major Charles as Eric

Dr. Rich as Seungho

 

So, what did you think of the chapter? Please provide some feedback on what you think of the story so far. We appreciate all feedback.

 

Thanks and as always...

 

 

 

                                                                  SUBSCRIBE and COMMENT!!!