Chapter Two

The Real Thing

“It’s quite late at night. Shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

 

“I can’t. I’m sorry did I bother you?”

 

"Oh no, not at all, please don’t apologize. So, how's your first day princess?"

 

Tiffany didn't bother to suppress a sigh, as she let herself fall on her bed. Today had been tiring and her encounter with that person only worsened the weariness that she felt. She turned to the side and clutched the phone closer to her ear.

 

"It was bad", she stated with a low voice, before sighing again, "I got lost a lot Siwon. It took me seven hours to acquire all the necessary requirements! It's pathetic."

 

Siwon chuckled. "It's all right, princess. I'm sure you'll figure you're way out in no time."

 

Tiffany pouted. "This is of my own choice yet here I am complaining to you."

 

"Well, that's what I'm here for. Don't worry so much, princess. It has been tough on you and I completely understand that. You haven't got a chance to fend for yourself since you grew up all your life having people to serve for you. And if there's anything good that's happened 'til now, it was your choice of living a simple life alone, well even if it's just temporary. But still, it shows how strong you are and your desire to be independent. I think that is an achievement in itself.”

 

Tiffany cracked a smile which eventually turned into a giggle. "You made it sound like I did something really great. You know, you're spoiling me way too much."

 

"I don't mind, you’re our only princess after all. So what did you have for dinner? You did have one, did you?"

 

Tiffany paused before answering back reluctantly. "I-I kind burned the food I was cooking so…"

 

"You skipped dinner?!” Tiffany winced and distanced her phone from her ear, “Princess, this is one thing I wouldn't tolerate. What if-"

 

"No, no it's nothing like that. I did order something...but its fast food though. It was the closest store I could buy food from and I was really hungry. Please don't tell Ryeowook about this." Tiffany pleaded the last part.

 

Siwon sighed, understanding what she meant. Ryeowook, Tiffany's personal chef, is somewhat paranoid when it concerns their young mistress. Well, aren't they all?

 

"I understand." Tiffany breathed a sigh of relief at this. "But it's unhealthy. So I would recommend a list of stores near you where you would only get your food, is that understood?"

 

Tiffany sat up, frowning. "That's not fair."

 

"It's hard to protect you already with this distance, princess. This thing, even though small helps alleviate our worries even for just a bit. Please understand."

 

"… All right" Tiffany said smiling helplessly. "Anyway, this Lee girl, she's here too."

 

“I see”, Siwon paused, as if contemplating. "What is it do you wish to let me do princess?"

 

"Nothing of course. I just want to tell you. We kind of meet earlier."

 

"How is she? Is she a good person? Was she nice to you?" Siwon fired right after Tiffany finished.

 

Tiffany giggled. "Hey, wait, hold on. Actually, we didn't exactly talk to each other. She just happened to be there and she ran past me and that was it.

 

"She just ran past you?! And no greeting whatsoever?! That's just plain rude and idiotic! If I was there I would-"

 

"Hey, hey it's alright, really", Tiffany soothed, panicking slightly. "I don't think she recognized me. After all we haven't formally met each other."

 

Siwon seemed to consider this. "Fine, but if she does something stupid..."

 

"Yes, yes I'll tell you... “, Tiffany rolled her eyes and smiled. “Thanks, I feel a lot better now."

 

"It's my pleasure to be of your service, princess. Please do visit us, when you have the time. We all miss you."

 

Tiffany blushed at the admission. "You say things so casually like that."

 

"It is the truth. All of us were saddened with your departure, even Kangin admitted so."

 

Tifany smiled, when she remembered how the older man had insisted earlier to assist her on buying. She's really so lucky to have 15 brother-like figures to take care of her.

 

"I know, I'm sorry...   I…I'll be going to sleep now."

 

"Sweet dreams my princess."

 

"Sweet dreams. I miss oppa and the others, too." She had always addressed her father’s subordinates with their first names regardless of their age difference, so it was somewhat embarrassing on her part. Oppa. She blushed.

 

Siwon didn't say anything further, waiting for Tiffany to turn off the phone. But she could feel him smiling from the other line. She pressed the stop button and lay back on the pink mattress.

 

She raised her left hand and stared at the luxurious ring adorning her finger. It had the emblem of the Lee family and a diamond at the center which glittered against the ceiling light. It had only been a week before when her father announced that she would be engaged to someone. He had required her to wear it even before the actual engagement would occur, presumably advised by her would-be-fiancée’s family to fend off any possible suitors.

 

“Nooooo! I will never get married!!!!” The girl’s words echoed in her mind. She knew that she will never find happiness in this forced marriage. It was only the thought of pleasing her father that kept her resolve to go through it. But that is until now…

 

She finally understood why her father agreed on her request to send her into an actual school rather than continuing to send in tutors. Even if it was just pity on his part for his sending his daughter into a world of loneliness, she would gladly accept that reason. But rather, it was a planned move to gain advantage rather than a pure and good intention. He knew that 'she' was attending this school as well, a rather well-thought strategy.

 

She bit her lip, her tired eyes closing in.

 


 

'I'm so late!' Tiffany thought in panic as she dashed outside the school dorm. She ignored the other students’ stares as she made a swift turn to her right towards the 3rd year's building.

 

Having reached the hallway, she checked her wristwatch and saw that it was 8:09. She grimaced. Ugh, 9 minutes late!

 

She tried to run faster but her right foot caught onto something slippery. She was quick to try to maintain balance but found it futile, when her left foot, this time, slipped on the greasy liquid. She braced herself for the fall when suddenly she felt warm arms circled itself around her, holding her in place.

 

She looked up and saw a beautiful face hovering just a few inches above her. She blinked, feeling something odd.

 

The other girl's one hand was securely resting on her back, to support her, however...

 

She felt her face heat up, as she realized that, that the other hand’s placement was somewhere where she shouldn’t let anyone touch.

 

Her fist instinctively curled on its own, aura turning into dark shades of violet. This didn't go unnoticed by the person in front of her who loudly gulped. "H-hey, are you-"

 

Just before she could stop it, her fist launched itself unto the other person's face, making a loud boff sound, an assurance of a fairly strong punch.

 

The other stumbled back clutching her severed cheek. "I know you're still angry at me, but do you really have to do that?!" The person asked with pouty lips, tears of pain leaking through her eyes.

 

As if channeling all of the negative energy into that single punch, Tiffany felt her mind cleared. She quickly retracted her hand behind her back and bowed 90 degrees. "I'm so sorry!"

 

She reluctantly looked up and her eyes widened slightly when she realized who it was.

 

Lee Sunny.

 

She broke her gaze when Sunny's companion, whom Tiffany did not notice until now and was in fact the vice president she had met last day, giggled.

 

Tiffany stood up straight and made a puzzled face at the girl. "I never would have expected for someone to punch the adored Sunny unnie in this very campus." Apparently, she was talking to Sunny.

 

Sunny grunted. "Oy, nothing's funny, you sadist!"

 

Juhyun's laughter mellowed down and she turned to Tiffany, completely ignoring the other girl who was still on the ground, "We've met again. But, might I remind you that violence is strictly prohibited in this school and as such must be compensated with an equal punishment." Though the other girl spoke it in such a light manner, her gaze carried a hint of warning, which made Tiffany inwardly shiver. "But, I think I'll excuse you this time. A rightful payback from yesterday.”

 

Sunny’s furrowed brows rose up when her gaze met with Juhyun, having realized what the taller girl meant.

 

“No! It was so wrong of me to do that, I’m really sorry. I’ll see you later for a proper apology, but please do excuse me for now", Tiffany bowed again and turned around, more careful not to slip this this time.

 

"Wait, where are you going?" Tiffany halted at Sunny's voice and she looked back. "To my first class. Why?"

 

Sunny stood up and opened but Juhyun spoke first. "I see, you haven't been informed. Most of the students are in the auditorium, for the first year's welcoming ceremony. So there will be no classes in the morning."

 

"Oh..."

 

Sunny smiled at her. "Hey, Juhyun told me you haven't had you school forms signed yet".

 

Tiffany nods, a bit dazed to see the other girl smile at her. Isn't she freaked out with her by now?

 

"Yeah. I currently have them now..."

 

Sunny was about to speak again, when Juhyun cut her off for the second time.

 

"Well, why don't I accompany you there?" She offered with a smile, though her stare suggests that she would accept no refusal.

 

Sunny's brows twitched in annoyance. "Oy, you’re being scary. And what do you mean 'I'? You do know that I would be going with you too. Besides as the school's student council president, it is my responsibility to help the students who are in need.”

 

Juhyun turned to Sunny, "With you having that bruise on your face? It may not have registered in your mind right now that you have one, however impossible it may seem but other people will. And it would likely create a disturbance, especially among those fan girls of yours. Harmless as they seem but they are dangerous when provoked. They see me as your rival ever since the election last year, so the most probable suspicion will be directed at me."

 

Sunny pouted her shoulders sagging. Somewhere in her mind, Tiffany thought that expression was strikingly familiar. "All right fine. I’ll go to the nurse’s office. But I’ll definitely catch up with you.”

 

Juhyun turned away towards Tiffany. “Do as you wish. Let us go.”

 

Tiffany reluctantly nodded and excused herself to Sunny before following after Juhyun.

 


 

"Um, that was...well..." Tiffany started awkwardly.

 

"Harsh?" Juhyun filled in for her. "It was necessary if I never want to receive thousands of death threats from her fans again."

 

‘D-Death threats?’ Tiffany gulped, smiling nervously. “Ano, what you said earlier, I do think that it was quite impressive of you to run for that position, given that you were still a first year at that time."

 

Juhyun smiled, "You flatter me."

 

Tiffany raised her arms in defense, "It was not meant to flatter you. I am simply amazed at your confidence." Tiffany said. The sincerity was very apparent in her clear brown eyes that it briefly took the taller girl off guard, her steps faltering a bit. "Is that so..."

 

Tiffany nodded. "And now that I think about it. If you both were running for the same position, how did you end up being the vice president?"

 

"She was supposed to be my vice president at that time. The other students knowing our popularity have declined to create an opposing team, which leaves us to take the vacant positions even with no election procedures. But then suddenly, for some unknown reasons, that idiot just decided to run for the same position as I do. She won, naturally and I took her previous spot. But, this led to others thinking, even now, that we're in a feud. It is quite true of course to some extent.” Juhyun shrugged at the last part, smiling.

 

Tiffany nodded. Though, the name-calling didn't slip past her ears.

 

"We're here." They stopped in front of the same door, where they had met the last day.

 

Juhyun smiled. “It somewhat amuses me. You seem so timid and demure and yet you fancy the wild look.”

 

“Huh?” Tiffany frowned in confusion. Then it hit her.

 

She stared down at her clothing. Her skirt was tousled, her white blouse untucked and necktie hanging loosely around her neck. Her hair not to mention must be completely in disarray. She mentally berated herself. She had been hurrying so much earlier, that she forgot to check on her appearance.

 

“N-No, I don’t!” She said, hurriedly fixing herself.

 

Juhyun chuckled. "If you say so." The taller girl opened the door and led her inside. There, at the end of the room was a table and a chair that was currently facing the clear large glass windows which was situated there purposely, to have a clear view of the whole campus.

 

“Excuse us for the intrusion, Mr. Kim . We would require some of your time.”

 

“Of course. What can I do for you?”

 

Tiffany froze on her spot. She recognized that voice. But that can’t be.

 

The chair turned around, confirming her thoughts.

 

The ‘school director’ smiled at Tiffany’s surprised expression, his eyes sparkling mirthfully. Tiffany quickly composed herself when she felt Juhyun’s intrigued stare at them.

 

The school director turned to Juhyun’s direction and smiled. “Thank you for assisting her. You may now take your leave. I shall handle things here on.”

 

Seohyun’s gaze drifted from the school director to Tiffany, the girl catching her gaze and smiling reassuringly, then back again on the school director "Please do. Excuse me."

 

When Juhyun left the room, the school director’s face instantly lit up. He promptly stood up and opened his arms wide ready to hug the other girl but Tiffany held him on both shoulders keeping him at arm’s length. He made a disappointed face.

 

“Heechul, what are you doing here? You’ve been gone for almost a month!” Tiffany asked in a suppressed yell.

 

Heechul shrugged. “I work here.”

 

Tiffany furrowed her brows. “No, you don’t. What did you do with the real school director?”

 

Heechul pouted “Now you’re making me upset. I swear I got this job fair and square. I’ve been assigned in here for the past three weeks.”

 

Tiffany bit her lip as she let her arms fall beside her. “What are you doing here then?”

 

“I’m not answering anymore. You’ve only called Siwon, oppa, and now this. You’ve really upset me.” He said, arms crossed and lips pouting, while looking away.

 

“I'm sorry…Oppa.”

 

Heechul barely contained himself as he picked the Tiffany up and spun her around in a tight hug. "Oppa was lying. I'll never get angry at my little princess." He cooed as if speaking to a child.

 

Tiffany inwardly rolled her eyes, a blush adorning her cheeks. She tugged on his sleeves. "Oppa you didn't answer me yet."

 

He let her go although a bit reluctantly. "All right", he nodded his expression turning grim. "Even before you had left the mansion, the fifteen of us had all agreed to send in someone to look out for you. Something's happening in the underground society. It's getting dangerous and we don't want any harms upon you."

 

Tiffany frowned, her gaze frightened. "Father, is he alright?"

 

Heechul smiled softly. He gently unfolded Tiffany's hands which were gripping his sleeves rather tightly. "Do not worry. He's alright. The others will protect him."

 

“What else do you know?”

 

“I’m afraid I don’t know much other than that princess. I’ve been away from the mansion for quite some time after all. You know, this is supposed to be kept secret from you, me coming in here. But a petal brushed by the wind and unto my palm whispered something. My princess is distressed and needs a knight’s shoulder to cry upon on.”

 

Tiffany frowned. She was having none of it. “I am fine.” She said dismissively. “You’re not the only one. There are others isn’t it? Who else are here?”

 

“You’re cruel sometimes, princess”, Heechul remarked, sighing wearily, "Approximately eight of us are deployed in here.”

 

“Eight?!” she echoed. “Isn’t that too much?” It quite hurt her ego that they have so little confidence in her. It makes her feel like she’s so fragile and helpless.

 

“Do not worry, we won't interfere with your activities unless absolutely necessary.” Tiffany doubted it.

 

Heechul smiled sympathetically and patted her head. “It’s for your own good my princess, please understand.”

 


 

Tiffany gently closed the door, her energy suddenly drained.

 

“Hey there.”

 

She jumped in surprise and saw Sunny beside her. Her bruised cheek now covered with a patch. For some odd reason, Tiffany found it quite fitting.

 

“Sorry, did I surprise you?” Sunny chuckled, scratching the back of her head.

 

“I’m all right.” Tiffany smiled and looked around. “Where’s the vice president?”

 

“Oh, she went on ahead. She said she got some stuff to do. She’s always unnecessarily busy.”

 

Tiffany smiled, “Quite evident.”

 

Sunny brows raised, the corners of her lips twitching into a smile. “You look beautiful when you smile” She remarked off-handedly.

 

“I’ll be sure to smile more often, then”, Tiffany smiled and looked away, slightly blushing in embarrassment. “Are you okay? Does it still hurt?”

 

Sunny shook her head, smiling. “It does sting a little, but I’m fine now.”

 

“I’m really, really sorry.” She said bowing in apology.

 

“No, it’s really fine. Though you should know, I’ve had martial arts lessons back then and I’ve encountered fairly strong opponents but I’ve never been hit so strong like that before. It was awesome.”

 

Tiffany straightened up, head tilted slightly to the side. She eyed the girl in genuine curiosity, “I don’t think that’s something to be happy about.”

 

Sunny remained smiling, “Juhyun may have already told you my name, but I would like to properly introduce myself anyway. My name’s Lee Sunny. What’s yours?” Sunny’s warm and friendly gaze fixed at her own.

 

She felt suddenly anxious. She imagined the other girl’s reaction would be like, when she finds out that Tiffany was the one she would soon be engaged with.

 

“Stephanie Hwang.”

 

However, the girl’s expression wasn’t what she had expected at all. Sunny only smiled wider, “Great.”

 

Tiffany made a puzzled face. “You don’t…recognize my name?”

 

Sunny became confused as well, “I’m sorry, have we met before?”

 

‘She doesn’t even know her fiancées name?!’ Tiffany thought incredulously. She studied the other girl’s face who seemed sincerely perplexed.

 

Tiffany shook her head. “Never mind”.

 

Sunny nodded uncertainly. “Right…Hey, will you be going to the auditorium?”

 

It’s very unlikely, how could she not know? Tiffany mused. Sunny should be informed about her right now, of her name at least. Was she mistaken and it wasn’t Sunny after all? But that’s impossible. The ring she is wearing definitely has the insignia of the Lee family. ‘Lee Sunny’, she recalled vividly. Her father had stated that name clearly and only that name.

 

“I haven’t gotten to tour this school when I came here. I was wondering if you’re not busy and show me around, perhaps?”

 

Sunny’s brows rose up, her lips forming into a wide radiant smile. “Not at all. I would be glad to tour you around!”

 

Tiffany smiled back. The girl’s energy was contagious.

 

“But first…”

 

Huh? Tiffany had got no time to react as she felt herself swiftly being carried off the ground and unto Sunny’s back. She instinctively wrapped her arms around the other girl’s neck and in turn felt Sunny’s arms secure itself on both her legs.

 

“Uh, Sunny…”

 

“Welcome aboard to Sunny Chu-Chu Express. So where’s our first destination miss?”

 

“What?” Tiffany voiced out frowning, too caught in surprise. “Uh, you lead.”

 

“All right!”

 

“Do you do this often? Carrying people on your back when touring them around?”

 

Sunny shrugged, “Nah, I just felt like it.” She bent her upper body down preparing for a dash. “Please hold on tightly miss, we’re going to have a fast ride.”

 

Tiffany did so, her expression still astonished. Sunny seems like a nice person but strange. Really strange. Her mind idly wondered on what her future would be like together with this person. Seems promising.