2

Geeks and Popular Kids

Hyomin had invited Jiyeon to her dance practice so they could go back to her house straight after. Jiyeon watched Hyomin and her team dance together in sync and it was great to watch. Jiyeon pushed her glasses up as she saw the team go into a huddle. She heard hushed voices, then the huddle split up and Hyomin came over.

"We're leaving now." She said, helping Jiyeon up.

They left the school and walked back to Hyomin's house.

"You're making good progress." Said Jiyeon. "The teacher has been showing me your results from the small tests we've been doing and your grade is going up."

They walked into the living room and Jiyeon set her books out on the table.

"Can I have a shower first?" Hyomin asked.

Jiyeon nodded. "Yeah, just be quick."

Hyomin ran up the stairs and got in the shower whilst Jiyeon sat on the couch singing to herself. A few minutes later, Hyomin crept down the stairs and heard Jiyeon singing. She stood behind the living room door for five minutes listening to her, then she decided that she couldn't stand there forever and listen so she pretended to run down the stairs, then she walked in.

"Okay, I'm ready to study now." Said Hyomin, sitting next to Jiyeon.

The study session lasted for half an hour, then Jiyeon decided they should have a break.

"So, what do the popular people do?" Jiyeon asked.

"Uh.. Well.. Not much really. Not studying is one." Hyomin said, laughing.

Jiyeon smiled a bit. "I wish I was popular.."

"They talk about you sometimes." Said Hyomin.

"Why..?" Jiyeon asked, frowning a bit.

"They think you're pretty. You know, you could be popular if you stayed with me." Said Hyomin, looking over at Jiyeon.

"I don't know.. I'd miss my friends.." Jiyeon said. "Say.. Hyomin.. Have you ever kissed someone before?"

"Yeah. It wasn't that good though. How about you?" Hyomin asked.

"Nope.. Never ever kissed anyone.. I'd like to.." Said Jiyeon quietly.

"Really? Who do you want to kiss?" Hyomin asked, moving closer. "I promise I won't tell anyone."

"Uh.. Well.. I.." Jiyeon looked away.

"Who?" Hyomin asked.

"I don't know." Jiyeon said. "We should start studying again."

So they began studying again, then a few hours later Jiyeon's parents came to pick her up and she went home.

Hyomin sighed. "I wish she would tell me. I could make it happen for her.."

 

A week later, Hyomin was getting ready to perform for the school again with her dance team.

"Alright, so, I said that I couldn't get the shoes, I partly lied. I could only get one pair. Who wants to wear the shoes that do the leany thing?" Hyomin asked.

"You should wear them, since you're the leader." Said Eunjung.

The rest of the team agreed, so Hyomin ended up putting the shoes on. They felt different compared to all the other shoes she'd worn but she liked them. The dance team went backstage then they were called onto the stage. There was silence as the entire hall watched. The music started. It was a Michael Jackson song as usual, Smooth Criminal. Everyone watched in awe as the performance went on. Whenever the dance team performed it was always the talk of the school, and of course Hyomin was always asked to show her dance moves. As the performance was coming to an end, Hyomin performed the last move which was the purpose of the shoes, the leaning. Then she moonwalked back and the dance team did their ending pose. Everyone in the room was applauding them. They bowed and then went off the stage. A few minutes later, they had to go and sit in the crowd.

At lunch, Hyomin came and sat next to Jiyeon who was studying on her own.

"Hey." Said Hyomin. There was no response. "..Jiyeon?"

Jiyeon looked up and gasped. "Oh hello! I'm sorry, I was concentrating so hard I didn't notice you there."

"It's alright. What are you studying?" Hyomin asked.

"The human mind. Did you know that some people are born as homouals? I just read it in this book!" Said Jiyeon, pointing to a sentence.

"I guess that's pretty cool." Said Hyomin. "Where are your friends?"

"Chess club. I didn't feel like going today." Said Jiyeon. "I win every match anyway."

"I want to talk about something, Jiyeon." Said Hyomin.

"Which subject? Should I get the books for it?" Jiyeon asked.

"It's nothing we're studying. Just, a week ago you said you would like to kiss someone. I bet you have someone in mind. Could you tell me who it is?" Hyomin moved closer. "Just whisper it to me."

"I.. I can't! You won't think of me the same anymore." Said Jiyeon, looking away.

"Why?" Hyomin asked.

"Promise you won't tell anyone." Said Jiyeon.

"I promise." Said Hyomin.

"..I like girls.." Jiyeon whispered.

"Oh.. I see.. So, which girl do you want to kiss then?" Hyomin asked.

".. I can't tell you.." Jiyeon mumbled, then she stood up quickly. "I.. I have to go!"

Jiyeon picked up her books and ran off, leaving Hyomin sat under the tree on her own.

Hyomin sighed. "I'll find out one day.." Then she got up and went to find her friends.