03

Price Paid For The Wishes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day you could finally get up, pushing your eyes open, you saw him sleeping there,  at his usual place, on  the couch. Slowly, with so much difficulties, you get up with the helps of your elbow, getting into sitting positions while leaning back at the header. Hearing the soft sounds that you make, he slowly opens his eyes and saw that you’re already awake. “…. Mark…” You called for him, almost whispering as your voice came out hoarsely.

He get onto his two feet and walks to you quickly while slowly cupping your cheeks. “How are you feeling today?” He asked, concern was evident in his voice though. You stares deeply inside his eyes before you just slightly smile and nod. “Can you breathe normally? Did it hurts you alot?” He asked again. You shakes  your head. “It didn’t hurt me. I feel a lot better now.” You answered but seeing how his expressions of concern never leaves his face, you assures him again with a short “Really.”

A sigh of relief escaped his dry lips. It indeed looks much more pale than how it usually looks like. The red cherry colours of his lips isn’t there anymore. Maybe it’s because he was worrying you way too much that he ended up like that. Looking so pale and not getting enough rest. “Thank god that you’re okay. I shouldn’t have left you alone. I was so stupid.” He mutters and pulled you into a hug, holding onto you firmly while your locks.

“I didn’t know what i will do if something terrible happened to you again. I’m so sorry...” You shakes your head. “That’s okay… You had your own life also, plus, you aren’t stupid. You never was” You said slowly as talking was making you breathless.

You suddenly remembered his words from last night, on where he wanted you to wake up and continue to fold more paper cranes. You pointed towards the table that had a lot of paper and Mark turned around, looking at what are you pointing at. “I-I need more paper… I need more of it so that I could finally reached 1000.”

You slowly said and he turns back at you, with uneasy look. “O-okay. I’ll get it for you. I’ll buy more of it. Hmm. Wait for me a bit more.” He said, hesitantly and got up, rushing outside of your room. Probably wanting to buy you more paper. A sigh escaped your lips as you stares down on your lap. Your grip on the blankets above your laps got more tight as your hands started to trembling so hard.

“I need to fold it as soon as possible so that I could fulfil Mark’s wishes to plant variety types of a flower… on our yard later… of course… We could do that… I know we will” You mumbled while bitting down your lower lips.

***

“I think you need to rest… Your fingers are swollen… You could continue it later…” He softly said, wanting to took away the half folded cranes in your arms but you pulled it away, shaking your head. “I want to finish it as soon as possible.” You said sternly. His face expressions once again changed. You could sense something wrong there. Something so serious. But you still couldn’t figured it out.

“But your hand—“

“—It’ll be just fine. When I’m healthy, my fingers should also be healthy.” You cutted his sentence midway. He gulped down, his face looks so worried. Maybe it was because he was afraid that it won’t came true. Your wishes on wanting to be healthy. Well, that’s what you thought.

The silence grew as he just stares at you. The pink cranes had been folded beautifully and you placed it inside of the jar while picking up the blue paper this time. It’ll be 989 if you’ve done folding the blue one. Your fingers really aching from the nonstop folding of the papers but it didn’t manage to stop you either. All you wanted to know is that you had finally reached 1000 and that’s it.

***

Mark had accidentally fallen asleep on the couch, just like always, with the book that  he had been writing on lately above his body. His soft snores could be heard clearly and you turns to look at the paper cranes on your hold. This is the 998 one.

You lifted your head again, staring at the sleeping guy on the couch. “We’ll definitely could plant those flowers, just wait a bit more.” You muttered slowly as his chest raised and falls rapidly. “We’ll get married one day...” You whispered again. His face looks so peaceful that you bit your lower lips hard. The thought of the paper cranes things was just a fairytales came floating inside of your mind from nowhere.

You just couldn’t stop right now as it was nearly 1000 so you just keep on pushing yourself even when your fingers felt numb already. Even when your negative thought bothered you. With the green paper that you took in your hand, it will be the last one. The very last one ever. With the small voice in your head that  is secretly wishing that it’s not just a tales. That it would come true.

A sigh escape your dry lips as the thought of living together with him filled your mind. Replacing the negative thought from earlier. With that, you folded it quickly, very quick. The last fold you made on the cranes had finally done. Now it had reached 1000. You should make a wish now. As soon as possible.

Slowly, you close your eyes while hugging the jar tightly. Close to your chest. You were feeling nervous, so much even. Later on, you slowly whispered :

“I want to be healthy. I don’t want to be sick.” You said almost inaudible before you continue. “I want to be with him. Forever. Please, let us have our own heaven.”

***

A few days had passed but your conditions doesn’t seem to change. You started to think that the tales aren’t real. The next day came peacefully and weirdly, the nurse from before came inside of your room. Informing that you’ll have a scan today. It was weird though since another check up should be on 21st but today wasn’t even the day.

Without thinking more deeply, you nodded and turns to look at Mark who was still sleeping on the couch. He looks so peaceful somehow. You didn’t want to wake him up for your scan because he needs more sleeps. After all of the nights he spend staying up late, taking care of you.

 “Come.” The nurse said and with the second nod, you walked away with her, towards the check up room.

It all didn’t take so long, with all the check up you’ve going through, now you’re waiting quietly at the bench outside of the room. You had been feeling weird since today morning. Like something bad had happened. But still, like before, you just didn’t know what it was.

You can’t even put your fingers on what it was.

The door then being push open as the nurse tell  you to came inside. When you’re walking near the doctor’s table, you could saw his happy face. As if something great is happening. He motioned for you to sat down and so you did. Smiling a happy content, he said ever so gently.

“Congratulation, Miss. A miracle actually happened to you. Something so miraculous. We think that we’ll have to make an experiment on this.” The doctor said happily but being the slow girl you are, you just still couldn’t figure out what he is talking about. Miracle? Experiment? What was that? You thought.

Maybe the doctor caught the questioning look on your face that he continued. “Your heart, it had been doing very well these days. It almost cured on it’s own.” He smiled again. Your eyes widened in disbelief. “R-really? Seriously?” You asked, still couldn’t believe it anyhow. The doctor nodded. “This was a very rare thing but you’ve done it. Your heart will be cured. Magically. Maybe it is from the help of your boyfriend who often took you to go out to take a fresh air.” He said.

You were just so happy, relieved and disbelief even that you’ve gone speechless. But your tears, it could describe very well on how happy you are at that time. There’s no need for you to say anything. Slowly, the tears rolls down your cheeks. And you quickly got up. Wanting to go and tell Mark about this happy news that you’ve just got.

You rush outside of the doctor’s room without taking the results of your check up with you. But the doctor didn’t say anything but to just smiled happily while looking at your figure until you’re finally out from his sight.

The paper crane really does work. It really did fulfilled your wish. Clumsily, you push the door of your room open and get inside. “Mark!” You shouted his name. You realize that he is still sleeping and smile. You walk your way towards him and sat down on the floor, beside him. You lift your hand up and caress his cheeks. But it felt so cold under your touch somehow.

You frowned as you know just how warm his body felt like before but you just still proceed to wake him up. Pushing the thought away. “Hey.. wake up.. I’ve got some great news to tell you..” You whispered at his ears with a small smile. But still, he didn’t woke up, not even stirrs a bit in his sleep. Your heart race incredibly fast. But you didn’t even know why.

Something strange past your thought.

Slowly, very slowly, you placed your hands under his nose. It felt so wrong to think of something like that but there’s something back in your mind that told you to do it. And just then, you felt like there was a huge lump on your throat. Your heart felt as if it had stopped functioning right at that moment. That you feel like the whole world was being placed on your shoulders. Your mind went blank. That it went mute all of the sudden.

Nothing.

It was nothing.

There’s no breath.

He wasn’t breathing.

Not even a single breath.

You turned your face towards him and lifted your hands to touch him again, trying to wake him up. You placed your hands above his chest and grab his shirt harshly.  It is weird that he didn’t wake up when you know that he wasn’t  a heavy sleepers. You remembered how easily he woke up even with the soft sounds coming from you, even when you’re whispering to call his name.

 But It wasn’t moving.

There’s no heartbeat.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter