Between the Lines

Let's Pretend We Never Loved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wenxin looked down at his intertwined fingers as he shook his head sideways. Wanting Yoonnae as a sister-in-law didn’t really have anything to do with him. He was just curious why his brother was staring at her so much. His brother was famous for not really caring when it came to girls as he was hurt by that gender throughout his entire high school years.

Back in Canada Kris was known as Kevin. He had an equal amount of Asian and Canadian friends and was quite popular around guys as he was a good basketball player. But for some odd rewhyasons, girls didn’t find him that attractive and cool. However, after he left to Korea and became a trainee in S.M. Entertainment, it seemed to have a reverse effect.

Now, if Kris even talked to a girl, they were considered lucky. If a girl got a chance to hang around him, then there was a possibility that he liked her. But there was no telling. Kris was always a confusing guy. One minute it seems like he really likes you then the next it turns out he was just being nice. He doesn’t express his feelings too well.

The way that Kris looked at Yoonnae was the same exact way he still looked at that one tall skinny blond lady that Wenxin remembered Kris often hung out with her in their front porch. This blond lady was really pretty and nice. He only met her once and that was when she came over to their house in the morning to see Kris unexpectedly, but he wasn’t home. Ever since that day he would sometimes see them walking together down the street when he waited for his parents to return home from work on the weekends.

“What about that tall skinny blond lady that you always hangout with?” Wenxin asked as he shifted his position on the chair so that he was facing his brother.

Kris was a little taken back by his sudden change of subject and question. He knew that the female Wenxin was talking about was Jessica, a member of the popular girl group, SNSD. This wasn’t the first time that this question had been thrown at him. He answered that question multiple times. Now he doesn’t even bother trying to explain. He just gives a simple answer.

He was sure of himself that Jessica was nothing more to him than a friend. He was sure that she felt the same exact way about him. The only reason that they occasionally walked home together was because they happen to live on the same block.

“She’s just a friend bachi.”

Wenxin kept his eyes on his brother and noticed that he wasn’t really flushed when he answered the question. No stuttering came from his mouth either, noting to him that Jessica really was nothing more than a friend.

“But you guys hug each other.”

Kris stuck his tongue out at him for trying to push the subject. “Hey~ it’s natural for friends to hug one another.”

“Not for ten seconds.”

“You counted? Sheez I didn’t know you were such a ert. Stay out of my relationship life." Kris said as he flicked Wenxin’s forehead

 

 

Taemin looked at the huge clock that hung on the wall behind the lady, who worked in the information desk, and frowned. “Will you look at that, it’s already six o’clock. I would love to stay and play. But I can’t.”

Yoonnae turned her head around and looked at the clock. It took her a couple of seconds to read it and confirm the time. It was definitely six. She turned back around and Taemin was gone. She frowned as she knew he was running away from her. She looked at the table that Kris and Wenxin were still sitting at and he wasn’t there. Her head shot to the door, but it was closed. Taemin was nowhere to be found.

She sighed and tsk silently. “A goodbye would have been nice Taeminnie.”

Yoonnae walked towards the door of the lobby to get some fresh air before going back inside to practice Now by Troublemaker. As she made her way over, her eyes landed on a little kid that looked like Yoogeun being taken away by a security guard and a female who looked like Mihi walking down the stairs.

“They must be here to return my headset.”

She quickly made her way out of the lobby and through the now open doors. She ran down a couple of stairs, careful not wanting to fall and bruise herself, as her eyes fell upon the security guard’s hair. It was blond and she was sure that only one security guard in S.M. Entertainment had blond hair.

“Tao!” Yoonnae yelled out as she tried to catch her breath. “They’re with me! I know them!”

Tao stopped in his tracks and turned around after hearing his name being called out. “Yoon… nae?”

He looked at the person who called out his name and it was her. She stopped running and was panting as she sat down on one of the stair steps. He put the kid down and watched him run over to her like he hadn’t seen her in forever.

Yoogeun hugged her tightly and stopped his crying. Before she could react in any way to his hug, he pulled away and held the lychee bubble tea out in front of her with both hands cupping the sides of the cup. She gave him a side look not making any movement to accept the drink.

“What’s with the drink?” She asked as she crossed her arms over her chest knowing that Yoogeun had a reason behind that lychee bubble tea drink.

Yoogeun puffed up his cheeks. He knew that she wouldn’t accept the drink so easily. He placed the drink down beside Yoonnae’s sitting figure and grabbed one of the backpack straps off his shoulder. He shifted it over to the front of his body and ped it. He pulled out her headset and handed it to her with his eyes looking down at the ground.

“Yoogeun is sorry for taking Yoonnae-noona’s headset. Yoogeun promise not to do it ever again.”

She couldn’t help but smile at his actions. She was sure that this time he was serious about his apology. She patted his head and lifted his head with her hand under his chin.

“Apology accepted.” She said as she grabbed her headset and put it around her neck.

A beaming expression was obviously written all over his face as he swung his arms back and forth, happily, by his sides.

“But what’s the deal with the lychee bubble tea drink? Seriously.”

“I thought you might be thirsty, so I asked Seonsaengnim to buy you one.” He said nervously with his hands intertwined behind his back.

“Ah~ I see.” She ruffled his hair and grabbed the drink from beside her. “You sure it wasn’t a boost in hoping that I would forgive you easier?”

Yoogeun shook his head side way quickly hoping that she would not catch on although he was sure that she had already known. He zipped up his backpack avoiding her gaze. Yoonnae took a sip from the drink and smiled as she decided not to push the matter any further.

The drink was so refreshing and it calmed her growling stomach down. She hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday’s lunch. She looked at Mihi and nodded to her as she raised her drink in the air, thanking her for purchasing it. Mihi nodded back with a beautiful, simple, smile.

“Well I guess if I see these two around, I’ll let them in with no questions asked?” Tao jokingly asked as he added a light laugh at the end of his sentence before walking over to sit beside Yoonnae.

“That would be very much appreciated Sir Huang.”

Tao turned his head to the side and looked at Yoonnae with a pouting face. “Why does that superior name make me sound so old?” He poked her cheek lightly.

She shooed his hand away as she lightly laughed as a response. She placed the drink in her other hand and softly caressed her cheek with the back of her now free hand.

“What were you and Taemin doing at the front desk anyways? I saw you guys when I was standing guard at the door.”

“Turning in a lost and found form.” She took a sip of her drink before continuing. “Isn’t your shift over? It’s six already.”

Tao looked down at the watch he wore on his left wrist and nodded. “Yep. I’m going to get changed. Meet you in the lobby in thirty minutes.” Tao patted her head before getting up and heading down the stairs.

Yoonnae was glad that she had met Tao. Ever since her brother introduced her to him, she felt really safe. He always walked or drove her home to ensure her safety at night as his shift was over at six and she usually left practice around the same time. If not, Yunho or Taemin took her home.

She watched as his figure turned to the right after his foot left the last stair step. Yoogeun tapped her shoulder wondering what she was thinking. She looked away from the direction that Tao had gone to him. She smiled and patted his upper arm ensuring him that she was fine.

“Sorry about that Mihi.” Yoonnae said as she stood up while sipping more of the drink.

“Don’t worry about it. It wasn’t your fault. Are you busy right now with practice?”

“I was going to go back and practice, but since Tao already confirmed himself that he’s going to take me home, then I’m free for thirty minutes.”

“If that’s the case, then is it okay if we stay here until you leave? Yoogeun seems to miss you a lot even though you visited this morning.”

“Sure, that’s fine.” Yoonnae said looking at her for a few seconds before her eyes fell upon the cup holder in Mihi’s hands. “Say… why do you have so many drinks?”

“Oh… these?” Mihi raised the cup holder up a little. “I bought them for the others.”

“Others? Who else were you guys planning to see?”

“Kai, Seulhae and Kris.”

“Seulhae? Why does that name sound so familiar?” Yoonnae thought as she massaged her temple with her free hand while furrowing her eyebrows.

She was sure that she had heard that name somewhere before, but she couldn’t put her finger on how she knew. “Seulhae… Seulhae… Seulhae… hm...where did I hear that name from?”

“Yoonnae-noona~ Gwaenchanayo?” Yoogeun asked as he hugged her legs and looked up at her with his eyes full of concern.

Yoonnae looked down at him and smiled as she nodded her head. “Noona was just wondering who this Seulhae was.”

“You don’t remember?”

Yoonnae shook her head sideways as she kept her gaze on him. Yoogeun turned around and looked at his teacher while one hand was still wrapped around the back of Yoonnae’s legs. He wasn’t too sure how to explain to his noona how she knew Seulhae. But he was definitely sure that they knew one another.

“Two months ago when you visited and brought us some kimbap and kimchi that you made, Seulhae came with you.” Mihi simply stated.

Yoonnae tried to think back to that time and snapped her fingers when she remembered. “Oh… so that was her.” Seulhae was the girl that bumped into her and had asked her directions to Mihi’s preschool.

At that time Yoonnae was wearing sunglasses and her hair was down so Seulhae must have not recognized her when they met earlier this afternoon in the dance practice room. She, herself, didn’t even remember who she was even when she saw her face clearly.

“Remember?” Yoogeun asked in a high pitch voice.

“Yeah. I remember now. Come on, let’s go inside. Kris and Wenxin are in the lobby. Kai and Seulhae left some times ago.”

Mihi nodded and followed her up the stairs. Yoonnae opened the door and let them in first before entering herself. From afar Mihi could see Kris and Wenxin conversing with each other near the large glass window, in the middle.

“Yifan-ge!” Wenxin said as he pointed his finger in a direction. “Yoonnae is coming over.”

Kris turned his head to the side and saw Yoonnae holding a kid’s hand and Mihi coming over in their direction. “They know each other?” He blinked his eyes a couple of times confused as they made their way over to them.

Mihi set the cup holder down and pulled out a chair for herself as Yoonnae set her drink down on the table and lifted Yoogeun up to help him sit down on the chair. She walked over to the next table and pulled a chair over and sat between Yoogeun and Mihi.

Kris furrowed his eyebrows as he tried thinking of possibilities of how the two females knew each other. He didn’t remember seeing Yoonnae at Mihi’s preschool the last time he had gone with Seulhae and Kai two months back.

“You know, if you keep those lines between your eyebrows there too long, they’ll develop into wrinkles.” Yoonnae pointed out as she slid her drink closer to her and played with the straw.

Kris pushed his thoughts away as he placed his fingers on the wrinkles that he made when he furrowed his eyebrows and rubbed his skin making the lines between his eyebrows disappear. “Why? Are you afraid that this pretty face of mine might get ruined?”

His teasing had no effect on her at all; not before and not now. “No not really.” She merely stated as she picked up her drink and shook it in a circular motion for no apparent reason.

Mihi and Yoogeun burst out in laughter when Kris bit his bottom lip in embarrassment. He groaned and face palmed his forehead for another one of his failed attempt to get a positive response from her. Wenxin was just lost as ever and stayed quiet in his seat, but did pondered why they were laughing.

“Here…” Mihi said as she grabbed the mango bubble tea with no sinkers out of the cup holder and placed it on the table in front of Kris. “Drink this up and stop sulking.”

Kris leaned his back on the chair and slouched. He kept his eyes on Yoonnae for a few seconds before he grabbed the drink, eyes still on her, taking a few sips. Yoonnae took a few sips herself and returned his stern gaze with nothing more but a bored expression.

“Here Wenxin, you can have this one since Seulhae isn’t here.”

Mihi handed the passion fruit bubble tea drink to him and he happily accepted it although he did not understand anything that she had said. He was sure that she was offering it to him as she handed it to him and smiled brightly. He cupped the plastic cup with both of his hands as he got on his knees so he would be able to sip the drink. A loud ah~ was released from his mouth after he swallowed his first sip.

“Wow~ this is really good!” Wenxin exclaimed in Chinese.

Mihi smiled at him but frowned a little bit afterwards when she realized that he did not speak in Korean. She turned her head and looked at Kris with a questionable look, but he wasn’t aware of her actions. Mihi traced Kris’ gaze and her eyes landed on Yoonnae.

“Kris?” she softly asked as she waved a hand in front of his face a couple of times. “Kris… hello…?”

He slapped her hand away and rested his cheek on his palm after propping his elbow on the table. “He said it was delicious.” Kris retorted totally knowing what she was asking as he still kept his gaze on Yoonnae who now looked away not being able to tolerate his stare anymore.

“Yah~ why are you so hard to get?” Kris asked directly.

Yoonnae choked on her lychee bubble tea and started coughing. She covered as she glared at him. She didn’t expect him to be so straightforward about it. Mihi looked from Yoonnae to Kris and back again, pondering to herself if there was anything going on between the two.

Before she could open to say anything, Yoonnae lifted up a finger to silence her. “Don’t… even ask. Not in a million years.”

Yoonnae knew that he was this handsome guy who just so happen to walk into her life today and possibly had a liking towards her, but his actions really killed it all. It was possible that this very good looking guy that God probably spent a little too much time on was a player.

“Yah~ you didn’t answer my question.” Kris said as he the remaining liquid in the plastic cup before aiming it into a trash can, behind Yoonnae, surprisingly making it in with ease.

Yoonnae turned her back to Kris as she watched the cup go in. She was surprised that he shot so well. The trash can was really far away from them, and the fact that he was able to throw an empty plastic cup that far showed how athletic he was. Kris smirked at her and sat up when he noticed her shocked expression after she turned back around. His sulking feeling was now gone.

“Too shocked to answer babe?”

She turned back around and played with her straw once more not looking at him but her bubble drink instead. “Not at the question, but at your ability.” She said ignoring his stupid word at the end of his question.

He looked at her in confusion not understanding what she was referring to as well as not retorting back to him when he had just called her babe. Was she already confirming that he could call her that? She faked a one second smile at him and stayed quiet.

“What do you mean by—” Kris was cut off when Tao came through the lobby door yelling out her name.

Yoonnae sighed in relief as Tao had just saved her life. She didn’t want to sit in the lobby any longer with Kris. Answering his questions were too torturous even though she knew that she had the right to not respond if she didn’t want to.

“Thanks for the drink Mihi.” She said standing up and pushing her chair back to where she had gotten it from as Mihi nodded at her. “Be good now Yoogeun. No more stealing.” She reached a hand over and patted his head. “Zaijian Wenxin.” She pointed a finger at him before waving goodbye to him.

Kris watched as she made her way to Tao and left the building seconds later after hugging him. Kris was a little disappointed that she didn’t say anything to him. Even Wenxin got a Chinese statement from her. How lucky was that? He groaned and smacked his forehead flat on the table as his hands dangled deadly by his side causing the rest to look at him.

Mihi was a little bit taken back by his harsh contact with the table. She was sure that his actions had something to do with Yoonnae, as she did say her goodbyes to them and not to him. She sighed and shook her head as she patted his shoulder.

“Say… why is Wenxin here with you anyways? Shouldn’t he be at home eating supper with your parents?”

“No. He’s always here with me every day from six in the morning until eight at night.” Kris said in a monotone voice still in the same position.

She looked at him in disbelief. Wenxin looked like was old enough to be going to school. If she had to guess she would think that he was probably around four or five years old. If so, he should be enrolled in preschool or kindergarten. It was against the law to not enroll a child in school if they become of age.

“Really? How old is he?”

“Four.”

“Four?”

“Yes.”

“Shouldn’t he be attending school?”

“He can’t. He doesn’t even know Korean.”

“You know that it is against the law to not have a child who can go to school not be enrolled in school right?”

Kris slapped his palms flat on the table making a loud noise as he sat up straight. Wenxin pursed his lips and flinched at his brother’s action. Yoogeun was a bit taken back by his sudden brashness. Kris looked at Mihi with enlarged eyes and his mouth hung open not believing and at the same time not knowing that that was a law here in Korea.

“You’re serious?”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter