Where it all Began

Let's Pretend We Never Loved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As much as Fei Ziying would hate to admit it, she was frustrated with Zhang Yixing's departure to Korea once again. This wasn't the first, second, or third time nor will it be his last. She knew that he cared so much about her that he was willing to come back to see her whenever he was given a resting period. Even if it was just for a couple of days, he didn't mind.

All she wanted for him to do was acknowledge how hurt she was at this point of their relationship. He didn’t seem to be affected by the distance that was between them. Although it’s true that distance is the test for love, she needed him to be there physically for her. Not through the phone, not during webcaming, and most definitely, not in her dreams.

“I'm sorry Yingying that my departure had to be moved several hours earlier.” Yixing said as he placed both hands on her shoulders.

The sincerity in his voice use to work, but now she was tired of it. She hated how he promised her and never came through with it. She disliked how he would cancel a date when he made the reservation. Everything about him blowing her off irritated her to the max. But just for today, she had to remain calm.

“It's okay Xingxing. That's what being a Korean celebrity is all about.” she said as she tried her best to smile at him.

“Are you okay? Usually you'll hug me and try not to cry. You're worrying me.”

Yixing slid his hands from her shoulders down to her hands and grasped her palms with his. He gave her a light squeeze and looked into her eyes deeply trying to figure out what was bothering her. But her eyes gave him no lead way.

“I'm fine. Don't worry too much.”

Ziying slipped her hands away from him and pulled out a six by three box from her bag. She fiddled with the bow on top of the lid as she let out a deep depressing sigh. She wasn't sure if this was the right choice. Basically she'll be left in the dark waiting while he was in the light waiting. In the end, nothing good will come out for her but for him.

She knew that she was being selfish about her feelings. But she couldn’t hold back the urge to not be. Waiting every day to receive a call from him was torturous. All those countless nights that she had stayed up were for nothing as she didn’t get a single call. Last minute changes as she had already prepared food and cleaned his room for him before his arrival hurt her pride as a woman. It’s like he didn’t care about her. It isn’t hard to call and let someone know that they weren’t going to fly over anymore.

“H-h-here...” she stuttered as she handing the box to him with one hand. “Don't open this until you land in Korea okay.”

Yixing looked at her with wide eyes as he took the box from her hand. Although shocked, he was really happy that she had gotten him something. Whenever he flew back to Korea, she never bothered to give him a gift. So why now? She was really starting to worry him. She definitely wasn't being herself and he could sense it.

“Um... thanks?” he said with a tone that wasn't familiar to him. “I'm really going to miss you this time.”

He enclosed the space between their bodies with a light hug. She stood there without making a move to hug him back, something he knew that she has never done. Before he let go, she suddenly wrapped her arms around him tightly. She buried her face into his chest and began weeping.

“I know... t-t-this time... you will definitely m-miss me more. I'll m-m-miss you too.”

Her sobs between her sentences were sorrowful. He caressed her long hair as he nodded. It pained him to see the woman that he love break down in front of him. But he couldn’t do anything about it. All he knew that he should do right now was to continue hugging her until she stopped crying and pulled away.

Yixing knew that she was affected with his constant stay in Korea. But he wanted her to understand that being a Korean idol was something he really wanted. He had already done what he wanted here in China as a celebrity. He wanted to explore the culture of music more and staying here in China was limiting it.

“Ziying…” he slowly said as he gently pulled her away from him. “Don’t miss me too much. I mean my parents will be there for you okay. I’ll be back before you know it.”

Her long beautiful hair blocked her face as she kept her head down. He sighed silently and cupped her chin with his hand. His eyes scanned her beautiful face before his free hand was placed on her cheek. He gave her a hurt expression as he wiped her tears away with his thumb. She was really making leaving her harder than it should be.

Ziying brought her hand and covered as more tears rolled down her cheeks. Yixing pursed his lips and swallowed hard. He lifted her head with his hand still cupping her chin and started inching closer and closer to her. She stopped crying when she noticed what he was attempting to do. Although she knew that it was wrong to allow that to happen since she gave him the box, she couldn’t resist.

She slowly closed her eyes as his lips were millimeters away from hers. After seconds, his lips were on hers. She turned her head to the side a little to deepen the kiss. She wanted to taste his lips one last time before letting him go completely.

They stayed like that for a few seconds before he pulled away. Yixing tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear before giving her another kiss, this time on the forehead. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. This was it. This was goodbye forever.

“Flight 1004 to South Korea please get your passport checked and aboard the plane. Again, Flight1004 to South Korea please get your passport checked and aboard the plane.”

Yixing grabbed his suitcase with one hand while his other hand held her hand. They both walked over to the check in desk. He handed his papers and passport to the lady at the desk and turned to look at Ziying. She wasn’t crying anymore, but she was still sniffing. He gave her hand a light squeeze before facing the lady again. He bowed to her and grabbed his belongings and moved out the way for the next person to check in.

“Well... I guess this is goodbye?”

“Yes. This is absolutely goodbye.”

Yixing nodded as he released her hand and gave her one last hug. He grabbed his suitcase and walked over to the door. He waved goodbye to her before making his way through the door to aboard the plane.

Ziying burst into tears when Yixing's figure disappeared from her sight. It pained her heart so much. He had no idea what was in stored for him in that box, but she did. She hoped that when he finally figures it out, he'll remain the same Zhang Yixing that she has always known.

“Seonsaengnim! Faster faster faster!” Yoogeun screamed as he ran around the slide on the playground.

Nam Mihi had been chasing the child for ten minutes now. She smiled at the energetic little boy as she purposely chased him slowly. She loved it when kids were interactive and participated in activities. That was what she liked most about her job. A smile beaming on a child’s face was enough to make a gloomy day of hers full of sunshine.

“Yoogeun-ah... seonsaengnim can't run anymore. You win.”

Mihi stopped and placed both hands on each knee and pretended to pant heavily. She looked up and noticed Yoogeun poking his head out from behind the slide. A pout was clearly written over his face. But she wasn’t sure if he was sad that she couldn’t continue chasing him or he was sad over something else. Yoogeun ran over to her and grabbed her arm with both hands.

“Gwaenchanayo seonsaengnim? Where are you hurting?”

She looked at him with an emotionless face. He pursed his lips and looked at the ground feeling guilty that he had hurt his teacher. Seeing his action, she couldn’t help but smile at the reaction he responded with. She picked him up by tucking her hands under his armpits and set him on the side of her hip. She hugged him tightly as she spun around in circles. The little boy giggled brightly.

“Can we play out here all day?”

Mihi stopped spinning and tried her best to stand straight. She looked at her watch and just as Yoogeun had suspected, it was time to go back inside. She knew that he hated when they were inside because it was always lonely. He would rather stay outside and play with her all day than be in a room where he had to concentrate on classwork after she had stopped teaching him to allow him to show her what he had learned.

There were no other preschoolers or staffs working here. This was a school that she had started on her own about a month after working in the teaching field for five years. She had found that her passion for teaching was with little kids. They were the light in her life that had always guided her to happiness. Thanks to the government funding and people who she had connection with donating money, she was able to add an afterschool program and daycare.

She was given a time frame to gather as much students as she could because a school with only one grade needs at least ten students enrolled in order to continue. Her time frame was ten months, one student per month. If she missed a month then her school would be closed down.

“Seonsaengnim...” Yoogeun said as he leaned his head on his teacher's chest. “You will always be my friend right?”

Mihi's face immediately sadden as she softly the little boy's hair. She didn’t like how Yoogeun knew how to feel so depressed at such an early stage of his childhood.

“Seonsaengnim will always be here.”

“Chingja?” Yoogeun's head shot up as he looked at her. “Promise?”

Mihi smiled as her student held out his pinky. She had no idea that Yoogeun knew what a pinky promise was. She brought her pinky to lock his and their thumb met. She nodded her head and set him down on the ground and crouched to his eye level.

“Don’t you forget about your other two noonas too.” She said smiling brightly as she lightly poked his cheek.

“Ah~ Seulhae-noona and Yoonnae-noona?”

She nodded her head at Yoogeun as she ruffled his hair. She didn’t know how he had forgotten the two as they visited him constantly. They were in the process of training to become Korean idols so they only visited when they had time. Seulhae was more limited on how often she could visit as she had Kris and Kai to worry about.

From what Mihi remembered, Seulhae had mention something about her debuting soon in a three member group. One of the members was Kai and the other was Kris. About two months ago, Seulhae visited Mihi at a school she was working for before she opened her own and brought Kai, who she introduced as her boyfriend, along. Mihi had thought that Kris would be Seulhae’s boyfriend as she always abused him. But Kai told her that Kris was only the third member of their group and not Seulhae’s boyfriend.

“Yoogeun-ah how can you forget? Yoonnae just visited us this morning before going to practice.”

“Seulhae had forgotten Yoogeun. Yoogeun don’t know who Seulhae is.” Yoogeun responded as he crossed his arms over his chest and turned his back to his teacher.

Mihi smiled at the way he spoke about himself in third person. His action caused her to lightly laugh. She knew that he was hurt that Seulhae hadn’t visited him for almost a month now. But she didn’t bother to explain to him why because he wouldn’t understand how complex being a trainee really is.

She placed both hand on each of his shoulders and turned him around. “Come on, let’s go back inside and do some classwork okay?”

Yoogeun shook his head sideways and pouted with his bottom lip sticking out. He didn’t want to go inside. He wanted to stay outside and play all day long. Plus the fact about Seulhae made him too depressed to go inside to do some class work.

“Yoogeun-ah~ do you want me to tell Yoonnae-yah that you’re being a bad boy today? I bet she’ll tell Seulhae, who I am sure won’t like it.”

Yoogeun puffed up his cheeks as he scrunched his nose. He knew that his teacher had him cornered. He wasn’t afraid of Ms.Nam or Seulhae, but just talking about Yoonnae was a bit frightening as he did something bad this morning, which he considered illegal. That’s why he had avoided talking about her when his te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter