Part 2

A Story

It was a Friday evening. Kyuhyun was still at the office getting ready to finish off the final tasks of the day and leave for the day.

Considering it was a Friday Kyuhyun picked up his phone to ring Sungmin and ask to go out for a drink. He unlocked the phone and was met with a picture of himself and Seohyun wrapped in each other’s arms. It was taken when they newly started to date and Seohyun has insisted on putting it as his wallpaper.

Then Kyuhyun remembered why he took the phone in his hand on the first place. To call Sungmin. Then he remembered Seohyun’s words about them not spending more time with each other. She was right. After meeting Sungmin, the time he spent with Seohyun has decreased more resulting in turning Seohyun to a sulky girlfriend and she had every right to be. He hadn’t given the attention she deserved. Kyuhyun felt a little guilt at that.

Hanging out with Sungmin was tempting. But he needed to work on his relationship if he wanted to have his dream life of a family man.

Kyuhyun opened the address book and dialled Seohyun instead of Sungmin.

“Hey Seo, it’s me. Do you want to may be go out on a date with me?” He asked as soon as the other line picked up. Kyuhyun’s stomach dropped at the silence that followed his question. Has she already given up on him?

But his worries were soon disappeared as Seohyun squealed. “Oh my God. Yes! Where are we going?”

“You can pick.”

“Oh how about Coffee Shack?”

Kyuhyun smiled to himself as he heard the name of the place his girlfriend wanted to go on a date with him. Now that’s what it is called coincident.

“Yeah, sure. I’ll pick you up tomorrow at eight then. Bye.” Kyuhyun hanged up the phone. He didn’t feel thrilled to be going on a date with his girlfriend like a boyfriend was supposed to feel like. But he wasn’t depressed over it either. He was determined to make his relationship work. Seohyun was a nice girl. She would make a good wife and a mother.

Kyuhyun let out a heavy sigh and pulled himself out of his reverie. Then he cleaned up his desk and got up to leave.

 


 

Saturday morning shift stored a rather painful surprise for Sungmin.

Yes. Sungmin already admitted to himself that he has something larger than a crush towards Kyuhyun. And he was also okay with keeping it to himself because he didn’t want to ruin a perfect friendship and another reason that held him back was the little fact that Kyuhyun was already in a relationship. He wasn’t going to ruin the happiness of two people by butting into their lives for his own selfish reasons.

However, facing the reality was a whole another story.

Kyuhyun has walked into the café that Saturday morning with a beautiful girl with long hair hanging on his arm. Kyuhyun didn’t look overly excited about the fact that his girlfriend latching on to him but he seemed happy.

Sungmin ignored a soft pang in his heart as the happy couple approached the counter.

“Good morning Kyuhyun-ssi.” Jungsu who was behind the cashier greeted them. “I see you have company.” Sungmin could have sworn that his hyung shot him glance after the last statement.

Ignoring it, Sungmin also greeted his friend and his girlfriend with a smile. “Good morning Kyuhyun.”

“Good morning, Jungsu, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun returned the greeting with a smile. “Yeah, this is my girlfriend, Seohyun.” Then he turned to the girl. “Seohyun, this is Jungsu and Sungmin. My friends.”

After the brief introductions he placed the order and left to find a table with the Seohyun.

Sungmin felt himself relaxing as he watched the couple walk away.

“Are you okay?” Sungmin snapped his eyes back to his manager at the question.

“I’m okay. I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?” He replied bit too fast to believe and hastily turned to work.

Jungsu nodded in understanding and turned to the next customer who was waiting.

Sungmin arranged Kyuhyun’s order in a tray and placed it on the counter to be carried. It stood there for few minutes as Ryeowook seemed to be busy with another table. So it was only him left to carry the tray. Sungmin hesitated for a second and grabbed the tray, ready to take it to Kyuhyun’s table.

“Do you want me to take it?” Jungsu asked as Sungmin started to round the counter and walk to the table.

“No no. It’s okay. I’ll take it.” Sungmin replied, his jaw set and eyes void of any emotions.

He walked to the table where Kyuhyun and Seohyun was sitting and talking animatedly. Rather, where Seohyun was talking animatedly.

Sungmin didn’t see how Kyuhyun’s face brightened up the instant he came and placed the orders in front of them.

Sungmin turned to walk away when a voice stopped him.

“Sungmin? Is it?” Seohyun inquired, smiling at him.

“Yeah.” Sungmin replied with his trademark smile which shielded everything inside of him.

“It’s nice to meet you in person. Kyuhyun has told me a lot about you.”

“I hope it’s only good things.” Sungmin replied, still smiling.

“Please enjoy your meal together.” He said with a nod and escaped the heart wrenching scene. He went back to his station and continued his job of brewing coffee, trying not to look in Kyuhyun’s direction.

But unfortunately his heart seem to disobey his rational mind as his eyes kept wandering back to the forbidden place. His heart throbbed every time when either Kyuhyun or Seohyun would do a sweet move to each other.

Sungmin felt his heart drop, painfully so as he watched Seohyun moved across the table towards Kyuhyun, her eyes set on his lips. Sungmin knew what was going to happen next and he couldn’t take it anymore. He gritted his teeth and turned back towards the coffee machine. The world was red through his eyes. He was jealous. And angry. But he didn’t have the right to be. Sungmin closed his eyes and took a deep breath to push down all his feelings.

“Sungmin, take a break.” He snapped open his eyes as he heard Jungsu’s soft voice beside him.

“W-what? Ah… no I’m not tired yet.” Sungmin replied hastily grabbing an empty cup.

“You’re stubborn.” Jungsu said. It was a statement. “Take a break. Go to the worker’s room and take a break.” He added, more firmly this time.

“But-”

“No buts. Just go.” Jungsu’s voice was final. Sungmin put back the cup in resignation and made his way to the worker’s room.

**

Kyuhyun glanced as Sungmin walked away from their table. For a fraction of a second he thought the smile on Sungmin’s face vanished the moment he turned away from him. But he shrugged it off as he felt Seohyun’s hand on his own. He turned back to her with a smile.

“So that was Sungmin?” Seohyun said as she watched the other walk back to his place.

“Yeah. He’s a good guy. After I spilled coffee on him that day he kind of became my best friend.” Kyuhyun replied with a contented smile.

“Hmm….and he’s pretty handsome too.” Seohyun added, wriggling her eyebrows playfully, expecting Kyuhyun to frown at her.

Instead he smiled and said, “Yeah well…he’s okay.”

Well, Kyuhyun didn’t have to be gay to see that Sungmin indeed was a handsome guy.

“Anyway what are you up to these days?” Asked Kyuhyun stirring the conversation away from Sungmin. However his new choice of the topic seems to be the wrong choice as Seohyun scowled at him.

“Same old stuff. Usual things in the office too. But it wasn’t my fault that you don’t know what’s happening with my life. You simply weren’t interested.”

“I know Seo. I’m really sorry.”

Seohyun smiled a little in defeat and reached across the table to place a small kiss on her boyfriend’s lips.

"Alright forget it now. Today's our day." The girl smiled at him, then added, "Let's go watch a movie."

"Okay. Good idea." Kyuhyun immediately agreed, happy that has Seohyun already forgiven him.

Both of them got up from their seats and proceeded to the counter to pay the bill.

He gave a last glance towards the counter, his eyes unconsciously searching for a certain waiter, but was left disappointed. Finally Kyuhyun led himself and Seohyun out the door.

**

"Sungmin," Jungsu gently called for his dongsaeng from the doorway to the worker’s room where the younger was looking out the window, rather lost in his own thoughts.

"Oh hyung, the break is over?" Sungmin questioned absentmindedly and stepped past the elder.

Jungsu grabbed the younger's wrist stopping him from walking away. "Sungmin-ah, it's dangerous waters. Please don't go in. You'll make yourself drown." Jungsu knew that Sungmin and Kyuhyun have gotten closer to each other if the frequent morning visits and the friendly chats were to go by. He suspected that something more was going between the two when he saw a sparkle in Sungmin’s eye whenever he was in Kyuhyun’s company. After today’s encounter he understood the situation. And he didn’t want the younger, who he came to consider almost like a brother, to suffer.

Sungmin didn't look at the elder but said, "I won't." Then he shrugged off the hand and walked back into the cafe to resume his duties.

It hurt to see Kyuhyun in another's arm. To see him being kissed by another. But he wasn't selfeish. He knew his boundary.

**

It was towards the end of the day when Kyuhyun and Seohyun stumbled into Kyuhyun's apartment. They have caught up with each other’s lives and the day was fulfilling for the both of them. They already had the dinner accompanied with the finest wine and their date only ended with Kyuhyun inviting Seohyun to his apartment.

Kyuhyun hurriedly opened the door with Seohyun hanging on to his arm giggling at a joke he said few seconds before.  

He pinned her against the wall as soon as the door opened to the dark hallway. He attacked her lips with so much ferocity. Seohyun was rather confused with her boyfriend's sudden change. Fire was blazing between them, at them. They haven't been this intimate for a long time. Seohyun could see what Kyuhyun was showing towards her was pure lust. But she wouldn't complain. She needed that too. Besides he was happy that their slow moving relationship was going somewhere. So she responded with the same enthusiasm.

**

Kyuhyun didn't know what came over him when he dragged her inside his apartment.

The way Sungmin ignored talking to him in the morning bugged him for some reason. Otherwise his date was fun. He has bonded back with his girlfriend. But something akin to disappoint or frustration has been nagging in the corner of his heart for the whole day. His pent up frustration has finally snapped by the end of the day and now he's taking it out on his girlfriend. And she doesn't seem to complain. The whole turnout felt good. Besides he haven’t got laid for months now.

**

Seohyun let her boyfriend drag her to the couch in the living room. She was pushed on to the soft material as Kyuhyun towered over her, balancing his body with his elbows. Kyuhyun seem to be out of himself by the look on his face. Seohyun let out a strangled whimper as her boyfriend bit neck, leaving a mark. She felt hot even through her clothes with every touch as Kyuhyun’s fingers left burning trails as the slightly calloused fingers roamed her body. Maybe it was the wine but she made a bold move by reaching lower and palming Kyuhyun’s hardness through the material of his jeans.

The man above her closed his eyes and moaned in pleasure. But what came out through his lips was unexpected.

Soehyun paused her movements as she heard the name that slipped through his lips.

“Ah…S-sungmin.”

“What?” She asked slowly.

When he realized his mistake, it was too late. He stared at her with wide eyes before slowly getting off of the girl and sat down at the far end of the couch. He looked away from the confused and hurt expression on his girlfriend’s face.

“I-I’m sorry.” He mumbled avoiding the questioning gaze.

Both of them were silent for few minutes before Seohyun decided to break it. “Do…do you like him that way?” She asked ­peering into his face.

“I don’t know.” It was true. He wasn’t sure himself that he liked Sungmin more than friend. He thought he liked girls. So why now. “I’m not gay.” He muttered more to himself as if saying it out loud would solve everything. But it didn’t sound convincing to himself. He was confused.

He ran his fingers through his hair in distress. Then he looked towards his girlfriend. “It was a mistake.” He said firmly, his eyes pleading her to forget about it.

Soehyun sat down beside him and took his hand in hers. She looked up at him before speaking slowly. “I knew this day would come. I just hoped it won’t.” She sadly chuckled to herself before continuing. “After you met Sungmin your world suddenly started to revolve around him. You mostly talked about him even when we were together. I don’t judge you or blame you. Nobody can control who they would fall for.”

“But I’m with you-”

“We have to admit Kyuhyun that we were never in love. I know we like each other but the feeling never passed that level. And if you ever truly loved me you wouldn’t have fallen for him.”

She stood up from her seat and grabbed her things. “Look, you need to figure out your feelings first. For that we need a break from each other. Figure out yourself and by then if you still want me I’ll come back to you. But neither I, you nor he deserves to suffer. So make out your true feelings and I will understand whatever decision you take. So until then, goodbye Kyuhyun.” She softly pecked his forehead and walked out the door.

For a second Kyuhyun thought he saw a tear running down her cheek.

He felt guilty for making her cry. She never did anything wrong to him. Why did he have to hurt her like that? Why did he even thought of Sungmin in the first place when he was having such an intimate moment with his girlfriend?

Did he really felt something towards Sungmin? He couldn’t possibly be in love with him, could he? No, it was probably a mistake.

His whole life he planned for a perfect future. Having a beautiful wife, cute kids and the sweet home in the suburbs. He planned to come home to his children playing in the garden while his wife cared for them.

It was all perfect until he met a certain Lee Sungmin.  What is Sungmin to him? He was certainly a friend but a boyfriend? And being homoual was still looked down on. Hence all his plans, his perfect life will go away.

‘This was a mare infatuation not love.’ He muttered to himself. He needed to confirm this himself. He didn’t want to lose his perfect life.

He grabbed his jacket and stormed out the door. There was only one way he could think of. He needed to meet Sungmin.

**

Sungmin was finishing up his shift when a deranged looking Kyuhyun stormed through the door. The taller walked up to him with an unreadable expression on his face and gripped his arm and began dragging him towards the worker’s room.

It hurt him how hard the other gripped him but Sungmin didn’t even thought to defend himself. Saying he was startled is an understatement. He let himself get dragged and shoved in the room rather harshly.

He had enough. He glared at the other, getting over his stunned state.

“What the hell do think you’re doing?” He hissed shrugging off the painful grip on himself.

The other visibly flinched at the obvious anger in Sungmin’s words. Then Kyuhyun suddenly leaned forward and pressed his full lips on the other’s bow shaped ones. As fast as it happened Kyuhyun drew back.

Sungmin froze on the spot as Kyuhyun’s lips brushed against his own in a swift move. What the hell did just happened? Did Kyuhyun really kissed him or did he imagine it? He watched as Kyuhyun’s eyes went unfocused for a while and then his eyes widened at what he has done.

The first thought that crossed Kyuhyun’s mind was ‘it felt good’. He shoved the thought away as he realised the magnitude of what he did. This was all Sungmin’s fault. Who was he to ruin my life?

His hand moved on its own and slapped the startled man in front of him painting his handprint on the milky white skin on Sungmin cheek in a red splotch.

**

Sungmin felt like his whole world shattered as the taller man’s palm landed on him. He wasn’t ready for it.

Sungmin understood that Kyuhyun was confused as the latter kissed him. The petrified look on the latter’s face told him it was a gesture out of pure impulse.

 He was probably disgusted that he kissed a man let alone a friend. Kyuhyun knew he was gay. So probably he was more appalled that he kissed a homo. But he didn’t deserved the slap.

He couldn’t deny that he got his hopes up as he was kissed by the man he so longed for but it was only to be trampled upon just few seconds later with a harsh slap. If the baffled look was anything to go by Kyuhyun was disgusted over the kiss. Kyuhyun thought he was disgusting.

‘You disgust me!’ His father’s words rang through his head in a flash. He cringed at his own memory.

“Su-sungmin…” Kyuhyun murmured slowly.

No…not this time. He was not going to listen to another man he loves call him disgusting. “No. Stop. Get out.” Sungmin said sternly without meeting the other’s eyes. He missed the hurt and apology in Kyuhyun’s eyes.

“Sungmin please, listen. I didn’t mea-”

“GET THE OUT OF MY FACE!” Sungmin snarled this time and stormed past Kyuhyun.

**

Kyuhyun stood rooted on the spot. “I can’t believe I liked you.” He heard the later mutter under the breath as Sungmin pushed past him.

He didn’t know why he slapped the other male. Was he angry with Sungmin or himself for the kiss? But why would he be angry? He liked hanging out with Sungmin. Sungmin was the best part of his monotonous life. And he liked how Sungmin’s soft lips felt against his own.

The anger was because of the frustration on his plans falling apart. But does he feel regret that he discovered he has become gay for Sungmin? The answer was easy. No.

Did Sungmin like him? He paused at his own question. Yes, he did. He answered himself as he remembered what Sungmin said when he walked away.

Then why didn’t he stop Sungmin from walking away?

He his heal and ran back in to the restaurant area looking for his love.

**

Sungmin wiped a lone tear and walked back into the counter. He started to make the next order without a word to a concerned Jungsu who was observing his every move.

“Sungmin-ah, are you o-” The elder started slowly.

“Not now hyung.” Was Sungmin’s short answer. He continued his work without even sparing a glance towards Jungsu.

He moved to grab a new cup for the new order when he was forcefully spun around by the arm only to find himself face to face with a miserable looking Kyuhyun.

Sungmin easily shook off the grip on his arm. “Just get lost.” Sungmin hissed angrily. “No need to disgust yourself by hanging out with a ing like me. I’ll think today never happened. I’ll think you never existed.” Kyuhyun was taken aback at the coldness of Sungmin’s words. He blinked away the tears stinging his eyes.

Kyuhyun thought that he never felt this afraid to lose something he dearly wanted.

“No, no. Please listen to me. I never thought you were disgusting. It’s quite the opposite actually.”

“Just get the hell-” Sungmin started, but paused on his own words when the meaning of Kyuhyun’s words sank in. “What?”

“I like you.”

Sungmin could see a tint of pink appear on Kyuhyun’s cheeks. He blinked few times before he asked again.

“What?”

“I said I like you, Sungmin. Please listen to me.” This time Kyuhyun replied desperately.

“Ahem…you two…” Jungsu interrupted but he raised his hands in surrender as Kyuhyun glared at the manager.

The taller looked back at Sungmin, his expression softening and practically begging. “Please let’s talk about this. All I need is a chance.”

Sungmin watched the other’s expression which tried to convey the sincerity. This was the man who managed to steal his heart even though he acted like an just few minutes ago. So he decided.

Sungmin let out a sigh and answered the expectant male. “Fine.” He looked at his manager hoping Jungsu will let him off for a while, who nodded back in agreement for the silent plea.

Without another word Sungmin walked to the furthest table in the café with Kyuhyun at his heal with so much relief written on the latter’s face. Sungmin sat down at the table and looked straight in Kyuhyun’s eyes who sat down opposite him.

“I’m all ears.” He said gesturing for the other to speak.

“Okay. Sungmin, please believe me when I say this. I like you. I like you a lot.” Kyuhyun paused for a response but went on at the absence of it. “I’m sorry I hit you. But I’m not sorry I kissed you.” Sungmin’s rigid shoulders relaxed a bit at the confession. But Kyuhyun went on with his explanation. “For all my life my goal was to go to college. Find a job. Marry a woman I love. Have beautiful children. And live in a house with a front yard watching my children play. It wasn’t a very complicated plan. My plan actually worked very well to the point of me finding a really nice girl. But it all got screwed up when I bumped into you that day.”

“Look, I never-”

“No, listen to me first.” Kyuhyun cut off Sungmin’s interruption. He needed to make everything clear for Sungmin before the other come to wrong conclusions. Again. “When we started to become friends I really liked you. Even after a hard day at work, just spending an hour with you made all of my worries and troubles to be forgotten. I was happy I could talk to somebody who listens to me and understand me. You never expected anything from me. I was more than happy that I had a best friend who can make a difference in my day. Even Soehyun couldn’t made me feel free like you do. But I never realised that what I felt towards you something more than friendship. I think Seohyun saw this before me. But that possibility never occurred to me. But when I understood my feelings I got scared. I stupidly blamed it on you.” He finished his rant and looked into Sungmin eyes. He knew Sungmin understood.

“But I understand now. I don’t want to lose you.” Kyuhyun continued before the other could interrupt. “Will-will you accept me?” He asked slowly.

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin started. Uncertainty, happiness, love were all mixed in his large doe eyes. “I admit that I like you. In fact I liked you from long time ago. But the life you dream of, I can’t give it to you. I won’t be able to make you happy. And after few years when you realise that you still want your dream life, you’ll blame me. And I don’t think I’ll be able to let you go by then. I don’t think I’ll be able to survive without you by then.”

“No, I don’t want you to let me go. I want you to hold on to me as tight as possible. The life I planned was what others expected of me. It was a plan to make my parents happy, not me. The only thing that would make me happy is to be with you.” Kyuhyun reached across the table to grab Sungmin’s hand and looked him in the eyes. “All my life what I did was to make others happy. Now I want to be selfish. I want to make myself happy. Please help me do it.”

A smile played across Sungmin’s lips before he replied. “Well then Cho Kyuhyun, will you be my boyfriend?”

Kyuhyun let out a relieved laugh. He was sure he never felt this happy his whole life. He was ecstatic. He replied with a grin of a Cheshire cat adorning his face. “With pleasure, Lee Sungmin.”

He knew he will be happy for the rest of his life when he felt Sungmin’s fingers intertwine with his own.

 


 

Lee Sungmin was gay. He was thrown out to the streets by his own father because of that very reason. He lived in a small room on a roof top. He worked a part time job at a café to keep himself alive. And he finally had a boyfriend he loved with his whole life and who loved him back.

If anyone asked him if he was happy he would give you his most genuine smile and say, “Yes, I am very happy.”

 


 

A/N:

First off sorry for this fail. I really at expressing the emotions. :(

Anyways hope you enjoyed at least a little bit of it. ^_^

Tell me what you guys think...I would totally appreciate your commets <3

(why so many silent readers...I'm starting to think that you guys just click on the story and close the tab without reading)

Check this out: :)

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/702217/kyumin-writing-contest-kyumin-writingcontest