Part 1

A Story

Sungmin bid his friends goodbye at the door and walked in his house, closing the door behind him.

It was few days after their graduation from the college and they were still celebrating their achievement. It was a usual Friday night for Sungmin and his friends. He was just home after having fun with his friends.

Sungmin made his way towards the living room only to be greeted with a harsh slap across his cheek. He was startled to the point where he didn’t feel the sting of the mark his father made across his face.

Sungmin held his now burning face with his palm and looked at his father’s flaming eyes. The only thing he saw in those once caring eyes were pure hatred and loath towards his only son.

His eyes were stinging with tears which were trying escape due to the pain he’s feeling on his cheek. Sungmin stared at his father, still failing to understand the situation at hand. His mind was in a dilemma scanning his brain trying to recall anything he did to deserve the slap but he ended up with nothing. He was at the loss. Therefore he kept staring at his father, not noticing his mother who was standing near the doorway with tears streaming down her face as violent sobs shook her body.

“Father-” Sungmin tried to reach to his father unconsciously extending his hand in an attempt to calm his father which was harshly slapped away.

But it wasn’t his face or the hand that hurt. It was his heart that ached more as he heard the next words from his father.

“Don’t call me father, you bastard! Someone like you will never be my son!”

“What-”

Sungmin was interrupted once again but with his father’s next words he understood why he was being bitterly disowned.

“My son is not a ! You’ll never be my son.”

“Father please-” It was the only words Sungmin managed to push through his lips before being hit again, this time making him fall to his knees.

“DO NOT CALL ME FATHER!” His father bellowed. “My son is not gay. You’re not my son. Just get the hell away from me!”

“Please, I’m your only son.” Sungmin begged hanging on to his father’s legs.

“YOU’RE NOT MY SON! Get out from this house! You disgust me!” Sungmin’s tears finally escaped as his father pushed him aside and storm out of the front door leaving him a crying mess on the floor.

His mother finally walked towards him and dropped down beside him with her hands securely around him.

“I-I’m so sorry Sungmin-ah.” She muttered in between her sobs.

“How - how did he know?”

“One of his colleagues at the office has seen you k-kissing Hyukjae after the graduation ceremony. And your father has overheard him talking a-about you with another worker.”

They weren’t the most religious family out there. But he knew his father wasn’t much of a fan of homouals. He never understood why his father didn’t see it as love between two human beings. But it never really affected him since he assumed he was straight. But it was only until he started to have feelings for his best friend, Lee Hyukjae.

They started dating in their last year of high school and carried on their relationship until last year of college. However over the years they realised they weren’t really in love with each other. So both of them have decided to break off their relationship and just be best friends to each other.

The kiss his father’s colleague has seen was their last kiss.

It is true that he wanted to keep his ual orientation a secret from his parents at least until he was out of college and landed a good job. He thought his father would be more accepting, even though he wouldn’t like the idea that his son is gay, if he was in the right age and right place in his life. But apparently he has thought wrong. His father didn’t only dislike him, he despised him.

“Mom,” Sungmin addressed his mother, looking at her through the swollen eye from crying. “D-do you hate me? Do you think I’m disgusting?”

He felt her embrace tightened at his words. “I could never hate you Sungmin-ah. You’re my son and I would love you no matter what.”

“What should I do mom?”

“Your father didn’t mean what he said. He can’t hate you forever. He just need time.” His mother replied, her hands his hair. “The best thing you can do now is to give him space. So for now stay with a friend of yours and when you start your job you can move to a new place. You can come back to us when your father comes around.”

Sungmin knew it was the best option. He had to get out of the house before his father comes back home, whether he likes it or not. He just hoped that this wouldn’t be the last time he would spend at his house. 

 


 

Sungmin was standing in front of his best friend’s house. His watch saying quarter to mid night.

He could only managed to shove some of his essential stuff in a travelling bag. His mother has slipped some money into his bag and placed a soft kiss on his forehead before he walked out the front door.

He has walked idly for few minutes without knowing where to go in the middle of the night. He then finally settled into calling his best friend who would understand him the most. He dialled for his friend but it had gone straight to voicemail. Wishing Hyukjae would be at home, Sungmin has made his way towards the said man’s house. That was how he found himself standing on Hyukjae’s porch and waiting his fried to open the door for him, while pressing on the door bell.

Sungmin again dialled Hyukjae’s number hoping the later would at least answer his call, but was disappointed as the call went to voicemail. And if the unanswered door indicated anything, Hyukjae was not at home.

Sungmin walked away from the closed door. Emotions were swirling inside him, threating to spill through his eyes. He was helpless and standing alone in the middle of the road at midnight where there wasn’t a single life around him.

He thought about himself and his pitiful situation. The harsh realisation has finally sunken in and has hit him hard. Just few hours ago he was inside his warm home and now he was standing in the cold night surrounding him, just because he was gay. Even his best friend has failed to comfort him when he needed him the most, though it wasn’t Hyukjae’s fault. Sungmin let out a humourless laughter into silent night while tears ran down his face. He was pathetic.

 


 

 

It was a few days after he was thrown out of his own house by his own father. He has managed to find himself a small rooftop room for a small rent. He couldn’t afford more considering the amount of cash he had on him barely managed to both pay the rent and keep himself alive and the fact that he is yet to go to his paid internship. And after that day he didn’t contact Hyukjae either. It wasn’t because he hated his friend or anything, only because he felt as if this is something he needed to overcome alone. He was never a person to show his weak side to the world. He was an expert in being able hide behind his perfect mask of a sweet smile concealing all the pain in his chest. He has done this before and he will do it again. Others didn’t have to know he can also get hurt just like any other human being.

Sungmin walked out of his small ‘home’ and closed the door behind him to go to his part time job. His paid internship wasn’t going to start until after three weeks and he needed money to survive until then. Therefore he has managed to find a part time job at a café to support himself.

 

 

“Good morning Sungmin!” The manager flashed his dimpled grin, the moment Sungmin walked in to the café for his shift. The manager, Park Jungsu, has been treating Sungmin as his own brother ever since he started to work there. He has even offered a spare room in his house for Sungmin which Sungmin has declined kindly. Sungmin didn’t want to be a burden to his friend. Just the moral support he got from the older was enough for him.

“Good morning to you too hyung.” Sungmin returned the greeting with a smile.

“Sungmin, can you attend the customers today? Ryeowook is sick so there’s nobody to take care of the tables. I’ll make the coffee.”

“Yeah, sure. No problem.”

Sungmin pinned his name tag on his chest and walked towards the first table where their first customer sat waiting.

“Good morning sir, what can I get you?” Asked Sungmin with his usual sweet smile plastered on his face.

“Americano and a bagel.”

“Okay. I will be right back.”

That was how the day started at the café. It was a Sunday. Hence many people have decided to sit in and enjoy the morning coffee rather than grabbing their morning beverage and breakfast from the counter and running off to their jobs. So the café was quite busy and Sungmin was practically running from the counter to the customers delivering their orders.

The crowd hasn’t thinned even it was getting closer to the noon. Sungmin’s feet were killing him due to all the running around he did for the last few hours and his arms were sore from all the carrying he did. So he took a few seconds break by leaning on the counter while Jungsu brewed the next order he was supposed to carry.

“I’m so sorry Sungmin you have do all of this alone. May be you should take break.” Jungsu inquired as he saw how tired Sungmin was.

“Oh it’s alright. My shift ends at 12 anyway. Donghae can take over when he comes.”

“We can switch until then. I’ll carry the orders.” Jungsu suggested looking at Sungmin while placing the order on a tray.

“Excuse me, is it done?” The customer waiting for the order asked from his table.

“Duty calls.” Sungmin replied to Jungsu with a shrug before replying to the customer. “Yes, sir. I’m coming!”

Sungmin manoeuvred himself through the crowded tables to get to the impatient customer. But apparently it wasn’t his day. The customer at the nearby table has gotten up to leave and the said person has harshly bumped into Sungmin sending the tray with the order flying and making Sungmin’s tired legs give out on him and resulting him to fall on his with the hot coffee burning his chest.

The impatient customer has gotten up from his table and stormed out mumbling about ‘useless waiters’. But Sungmin didn’t have a time think about his leaving customer. He winced at the pain on his chest as the man who bumped into him tried to help him stand up, muttering apologies profusely. Jungsu has also ran to him as he saw his dongseang fell on to the floor.

“I’m so sorry hyung.” Sungmin muttered trying to forget about the sting on his chest.

“It’s not his fault. It was mine. I didn’t look where I was going.” The stranger hurriedly said to the manager.

“I know. It’s okay.” Jungsu replied to the customer and turned to Sungmin. “Are you alright, Sungmin? Just go and clean yourself. I’ll take care of this.”

“Please let me help you.” The stranger has interjected at the manager’s words.

“It’s alright. I can manage. You can go.” Sungmin replied through gritted teeth. The burn was stinging more than he thought.

“No please. I insist. It was my fault after all. I want to know whether you’ll be okay.” The stranger seemed persistent and at the time Sungmin wasn’t in a mood to argue. He just needed to get rid of his soaked shirt and apply something to his burn. So he just led the way to the worker’s room.

Sungmin went in the adjoined bathroom leaving the stranger to sit on a chair in the workers room.

Sungmin stood in front of the mirror above the sink and ed his shirt. He flinched at the large red splotch on his chest, contrasting to his pale skin. He took a washcloth from the drawer under the sink and soaked it with cold water. Then gritting his teeth, he slowly and carefully pressed it against the red spot. He gasped as the cloth came in contact with his skin.

**

The stranger sat on the chair, fidgeting with his fingers. If anyone who saw his expression would know he really felt bad for what he did. He himself flinched a bit when he heard another gasp from the unclosed bathroom door. He wasn’t in a haste to leave the café when he got up. He was just careless enough to make the accident. It wasn’t a huge accident. He could have just leave when he was asked to. But something stopped him and he wanted to make sure the employee was okay.

He heard yet another pant from the person inside the bathroom. He couldn’t wait anymore.

He stood up from his seat and walk towards the doorway of the bathroom and started to call for the other.  “Umm…excuse me. Are you o-” He stopped mid-sentence as the other turned around to look at him with his eyes widened at the sudden interruption.

**

Sungmin nearly dropped the cloth he was holding in shock when he heard the stranger spoke. He turned around in surprise at the sudden intrusion and immediately frowned when he recognised that it was the stranger who was responsible for his little misfortune. He opened his mouth to say ‘I’m fine’ when the said man rushed to him looking utterly horrified.

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry for this. It looks really bad.” The stranger has apparently ignored Sungmin’s flustered expression and stared at his chest. Then the stranger lifted his hand a little as if to touch the burn. Knowing what he was going to do, Sungmin flinched away from the reach of the other’s hand. It had obviously brought the other man to his senses.

“Oh I’m sorry. I think you better put some toothpaste on that burn. It helps a lot. Especially because hot coffee burns tend to sting more.” He said pointing to Sungmin’s burn.

“Y-yeah. Okay. Thanks.” Sungmin muttered as the stranger kept staring, this time at his face.

The stranger suddenly looked away from his face, evidently understanding what he was doing. “So, yeah. I’ll- I’ll wait outside.” He trotted out of the bathroom with an awkward nod towards Sungmin who was still rooted in front of the mirror.

Sungmin turned back to the mirror and grabbed the toothpaste as advised and applied it carefully on the red spot. He relaxed as the minty coolness slowly soothed the sting.

After few minutes Sungmin approached from the bathroom to find the stranger looking out the window, waiting for his return. He was slightly taller than himself and had a messy mop of black hair on his head. He wore a buttoned up shirt with a jacket and khaki pants covering his long legs. The typical business attire. 

The taller man turned his chocolate brown eyes towards Sungmin as he heard the shuffling from the doorway of the bathroom. Sungmin noticed that the stranger had a very handsome face and his natural stoic expression adding a cool but an appealing aura about him. And those chocolate brown eyes were looking straight at him. Sungmin heart pounded oddly at the eye contact. He had never felt this way before. And if Sungmin didn’t know any better he would say the stranger has taken an interest in him too.

Both of them stared at each other, rather lost in their own worlds. Sungmin broke the silence by clearing his throat.

“Um...hello. I’m Sungmin.” He said extending his hand.

“I’m Kyuhyun.” The taller introduced himself in turn, shaking the hands. “And I‘m really sorry about what happened.” He added, withdrawing his hand back. He sounded sincere.

“Ah, it’s alright. I’m okay now. And thanks for the tip by the way.”

“No worries.” Kyuhyun replied. “Well, then I should go. I have a business meeting in an hour.” He said gesturing towards the door.

“Let me walk you out. My friend would be here to take over my shift. So I’m leaving too.” Sungmin replied, following Kyuhyun out the door and into the café.

After assuring that he’s fine, Sungmin bid goodbye to the manager and left the café with Kyuhyun.

They parted at the bus stop where Kyuhyun walked to his car and Sungmin got in to the bus.

 


 

Kyuhyun opened his apartment and dragged his feet to his bed. It was Sunday, the only day he can really relax and Kyuhyun was forced to go to the business meeting by his boss which turn into a bust. So practically he had wasted away his free day. He suddenly stopped at his thoughts when the image of a certain man flashed across his mind. He remembered the perfect bow shaped lips and the pointed nose. And the beautiful doe eyes that looked into his. And the dark hair that framed his perfect features… He was like a sculptured art work. Sungmin.

He physically smacked himself upon realising what he was reminiscing about. He was thinking about a guy. A guy, for God’s sake. He wasn’t gay. So he didn’t even know why he couldn’t get rid of the image of the waiter. But that piece of memory seems to be persistent as Sungmin’s face swan in his mind.

The mesmerising image was pushed away by the ring of his hand phone. He checked the caller ID. It was his girlfriend, Seohyun.

“Hi babe. Just got home. I’m going to take a shower. Can I talk to you later?” Kyuhyun asked, suddenly feeling tired.

“Aww, come on baby. Why are you in so much hurry these days?” Kyuhyun let out an annoyed sound in a reply. He really wasn’t in a mood to handle an irritated girlfriend. But his obvious hint to drop the topic was ignored by Seohyun as she continued, “Kyu baby, we haven’t even gone on a date recently.”

“I’m just too busy these days. We’ll go on a date later. I promise.” The girl’s whining visibly subsidised at the haft hearted promise. “Okay. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.” Kyuhyun hanged up the phone before Seohyun could complain more.

His and Seohyun’s relationship was the longest he had so far though it was still only five months into the commitment. During their first three months it was the perfect relationship with all the romantic dinner dates and walks in the park. But along the way the initial spark has worn off. Most of the time they were both busy with their own work and even during the free times they wanted to keep to themselves. This was mostly from Kyuhyun’s part.

Kyuhyun could see that if he didn’t put more effort into the relationship this time also will end up as yet another failed relationship. He had to try and build the perfect life even though he is not ‘madly in love’ with the girl he chose. He had to try and be the normal business man with a wife and kids along with the typical white picket fence.

But tonight wasn’t the time. He was too tired to think about Seohyun tonight.

He let out a weary sigh and dragged himself off to the bathroom.

 


 

It was the following Monday and Sungmin was back to his usual place behind the counter making coffee. Jungsu was already manning the cashier while Ryeowook was working on the floor, delivering or sometimes coming to help out Sungmin. It was the classic weekday morning for Sungmin. Same people, same routine.

Most of the customers would place their order and grab it from the counter before dashing off to their work. Most of them were probably late judging by all the impatient nagging to hurry the order. So majority of them didn’t stick around to stop and enjoy their breakfast. It was all typical for weekdays.

What was not typical that Monday morning was the tall customer who walked through the door and stood in front of the cashier.

“Good morning Sungmin-ssi.” Kyuhyun greeted him with a nod and placed his order with Jungsu before walking to a table and sitting himself down.

“Wasn’t he the guy from yesterday?” Jungsu inquired turning to Sungmin and received a confirmation nod in return. “He normally take his coffee and leave. Looks like he’s gonna stay for a while today.” Jungsu stated and returned to the next awaiting customer.

Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun for few seconds and turned to make his order. By the time he arranged the tray with Kyuhyun’s order Ryeowook was already there to carry it.

He didn’t know what made him do it but Sungmin suddenly stopped his friend and offered to carry the tray, forcing Ryeowook to brew the coffee. He walked over to Kyuhyun’s table with the tray ignoring Ryeowook’s questioning stares.

“Hi. Good morning Kyuhyun-ssi. Sorry I couldn’t greet you earlier.” Sungmin said placing the tray in front of Kyuhyun.

“Oh, you remember my name. I though you forgot it since you didn’t greet me back.” Kyuhyun said with a playful smile.

“Of course, I do remember. How can I forget someone who made me fall on my AND made me spill hot coffee on myself?” Sungmin replies, also smiling.

“I’m seriously sorry about that. I-”

“It’s alright, Kyuhyun-ssi. You’re already forgiven.” Sungmin assured and turned to walk back to his station as he was suddenly being called out.

“Wait.” Sungmin turned to face the taller looking back at him. Rather expectedly. “Do you want to grab a drink or something? May be later? As my apology for causing you trouble.”

Sungmin didn’t see any reason to decline the offer. Beside he’ll have a new friend and a handsome one at that. Yes, Sungmin thought Kyuhyun was handsome. Who wouldn’t? He was tall with handsome features and dark brown hair which rested slightly over deep chocolate brown orbs. And free drinks is a plus. “Yeah, sure. I finish work at seven today.”

“I’ll pick you up then.” Kyuhyun replied happily and let Sungmin get back to work.

Kyuhyun didn’t know why he suddenly wanted to be friends with this stranger. But he wanted to. Well, he’ll be just another friend added to his rather short friends list.

Kyuhyun finished his breakfast and bid goodbye to Sungmin and exited the café to go to his work.

 


 

Kyuhyun picked up Sungmin from his work as promised and drove themselves to the nearby bar. He ordered wine for both of them as it turned out to be a favourite beverage for both of them.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, you really didn’t have to do this though.” Sungmin said as the bartender placed the two glasses in front of them.

“It’s okay. It’s my pleasure.” Kyuhyun picked up his glass and held it up to a toast. “To new friendship.”

Sungmin imitated the gesture and clinked his glass against the other’s, “To new friendship.”

Both of them took a sip from their glasses. “And please drop the formalities. Just call me Kyuhyun.” Kyuhyun added.

“Then return the favour and call me Sungmin.”

It was nearly mid night when both of them felt that they needed to get back home. Neither of them were drunk considering that they spent hours at a bar. They were just chatting with each other about several random topics. To both of their surprise each other’s company was comforting and lacked any awkward silences. It was a start of a promising friendship.

At the end of the day they bid each other good night with exchanged numbers and parted ways to return home with the promise to meet up again.

 

That night was just the start of many night outs together. Sometimes their friends would be there too. But most of the time it was just the two of them.

Their friendship started with occasional but slightly intended meetings at the café and eventually turned to rather regular hang outs.

They have learned about each other. Sungmin learned that Kyuhyun is a ‘closet gamming addict’ as he himself put it. And that Kyuhyun tend to piss people off due to his sharp tongue. And Kyuhyun had found out that Sungmin held several medals from his martial arts competitions and that Sungmin loved to play the guitar. And both of them have found out that they both love music.

Eventually their daily routines seems to be arranged to accommodate each other into their day. Kyuhyun would arrange his day so he could go to the café when Sungmin was working and Sungmin ended his work in time so he was free when Kyuhyun came to pick him up to go out for a drink. And if they had time they would go to see a classical musical.

This was quite often than any of them would like to admit but they were more than willing to shift their schedules for each other.

If somebody asked him, Sungmin wouldn’t deny. He found Kyuhyun very attractive and he was attracted to the other male. But Sungmin knew better. He was in no position to initiate a romantic relationship with him considering Kyuhyun is straight and the fact that he already had a girlfriend. Hence Sungmin was contented being in the friend zone.

 


 

A/T:

Please leave some comments for me. Tell me what you guys think - good or bad.

(The last part will be updated soon)