Will I Cross the Road?

The Other Side of the Road

guys, thank you for the subs, upvotes, comments, for reading and for appreciating.

i'm new with all these, so i'll thank you personally maybe after knowing how. :)

 

~~~

 

Sooyoung’s POV

I love food. But I love it even more when I bring smile on my customer’s faces when they eat what I cook or what my restaurant offers. I manage this restaurant along with my best friend Kwon Yuri. She talked me into this, so yeah, at least I am satisfied of what we made.

I am cooking the sauce to pasta when one of the chefs called me.

“Ms. Sooyoung, Ms. Yuri said she wants you at the office. Pronto!” Hyoyeon said, imitating Yuri’s favorite expression at the end.

“Okay. Just finish this up,” I said.

Yuri, good thing she’s my best friend. She really likes ordering me around when I am at my vulnerable times. I reached her office and unceremoniously enter without knocking.

“Oi Yuri! What do you want?” I started as I open the door.

“Nothing.” She smiled at me mischievously. “Go home.”

“Eh? It’s still early. It’s just 5:30. You wouldn’t expect me to leave at this time.” I wondered why.

“You don’t have a car, remember?” She raised her left brow to me.

“Oh, crap! I forgot about that.” And now I’m doomed.

“So go home while it’s still not dark outside. Pronto!” She insisted.

“Okay fine. I’ll just check the kitchen for the last time and go home.” I said. “And here I thought you’re going to bully me again.” I chuckled.

“Nah. I’m just too good to do that. Go. And don’t take out too much food okay?” She ordered one last time.

“Fine. Bye buddy. Thanks a lot.” And then I left.

I checked the kitchen first, if there might be problems. When I assured that there’s not, I said goodbye to our staff as they gave me food to take out for dinner.

I left the restaurant and walked towards the bus stop. As I am walking, I remembered why I am in this situation.

“Sooyoung, pleaaaaaase.” My sister, Choi Soojin begged while looking at me intently.

“Why would you borrow my car? Doesn’t you’re husband has one?” I asked.

“His car is in the repair shop. The aircon stopped working and he planned a vacation for us tomorrow ‘til Sunday and we don’t have a car. Please?” She pleaded again.

“And what good will that bring me?,” considering her request.

“We’ll buy you a present. I’ll treat you to dinner tonight. We’ll drop you off tomorrow at your restaurant before we go. Just, please?”

“Ugh. Fine. Just do all what you said. And I want it to be presents, not just a present. Okay?”

“Thank you.” She hugged me. “Now let’s go. I’ll treat you to dinner.”

 

So here I am, walking, taking my chance on how to commute. I considered riding a cab, but this would be my first time riding a bus, and I think this would be a great time to try it.

As I stand at Gangwon-do Station, I saw a lady standing at the other side of the road. She’s carrying a box of pastries, and is in deep thought. When all of a sudden, she lifts her head a little and glances at my side.

I was caught off guard and I immediately looked at my watch to divert my gaze on her. 5:55pm

I was really shocked that I forgot I still don’t know how to go home through the bus. I asked a man beside me if this is the way north bound, and he said yes. I am still nervous, that I didn’t dare to look at her side.

When I decided to take a look for the last time, she’s already gone and that is when my bus arrived. I rode the bus and pray that I’ll be able to go home with this.

 

~~~

 

4:45pm. I am helping in the kitchen alongside Yuri, for it is near dinner time already.

“So how was your first time commuting?” Yuri initiated the talk.

“I got home. So uhm, okay I guess?” I answered her.

“Just go home early again until your sister comes back. I don’t want my business partner to be lost.” She said.

“I’ll just call you when I’m lost.” I grinned at her.

“That’s the problem. I’m busy.”

“Busy with what? You can’t be busy with this business, you have me.” I smiled. “Just tell me you don’t want to be disturbed when you’re with Sunny.” I laughed at her.

“Shut up.” We continued teasing each other until Yuri reminded me of the time.

I went out of the kitchen to see little Yoona with her parents.

“Hi Sooyoung unniiiiie.” She beamed at me as she saw me. “We’re going to eat heeeere.” She looks really excited.

“Oh. Hi Yoona,” I said while ruffling her hair. I had a small talk with her parents asking them of how they’ve been. Yoona always wanted to eat at our restaurant and that I like the little kid for she eats heartily like me.

“Yoona. Just ask the lady in the desserts corner anything okay? I’ll be leaving now, I can’t serve you. I’ll just tell them to do it for me. Okay?”

She nodded. “Okay Sooyoung unnie. Thank you. Bye bye.” And she waves her hand.

I said my goodbye to them and instructed the staff at the desserts corner to give Yoona anything she wants.

I arrived at the bus station, this time a little confident than I am yesterday. That’s when I saw her again. She’s carrying some books and snacks. I looked again at my watch. 5:55pm.

5:55pm, same time as yesterday. She’s always here at this time. And I get to see her here at this time if I knew that waiting for a bus can be this wonderful. But yeah, riding a bus is another issue.

“Will I cross the road?” I asked myself.

I decided against it. I’m not sure of how I’ll make it. I don’t want to get lost and make a fool of myself regarding this commuting thing. Though I know my best friend could help me out, I can’t let her know why I’d get lost.

 

~~~

 

It’s Saturday and Yuri still wanted me to go home early. I am really excited to be at the bus stop that I arrived there 5 minutes earlier.

When 5:55pm strikes, there is nothing. I waited until she showed up at least.

6:00pm. There’s still no sign of her. I decided to just let the bus pass. Maybe I’ll ride the next one as I wait for her here.

 

~~~

 

Sunday. I did what I did yesterday. Still there’s no sign of her. I hope she’s fine. Maybe, there’s no work at weekends. I hope so.

But my sister will be back tonight. My car will be as convenient for me as it was.

 

~~~

 

I didn’t bring my car with me today. My sister was curious why I didn’t and she won’t let me go until I say it. I told her that I wanted to continue commuting at least for a week. That convinced her for the mean time.

But what would I say if I’ll do it after this week ends? Good thing Yuri also bought my excuse of commuting. She just accused me of wanting to leave early and let her be alone on managing the restaurant.

5:55pm, I purposely arrive at the stop at this time. I don’t know why. I just wanted to see her as always before riding the bus.

It is a Wednesday when my sister showed up at the restaurant.

“Why are you here?” I asked her incredulously.

“Why? You don’t want me here?” She asked. “I’ll be taking you home tonight. I don’t know why you don’t use your car. But I’m taking you home tonight.”

Oh, gosh. That does not sound good. I won’t be seeing her tonight.

 

~~~

 

I decided to take out some cupcakes today from our desserts section. I saw her the same day carrying a box of pastries. I don’t know what it is but I’ll just assume it to be cupcakes. I wanted to give it to her, somehow. It is what I remember of her every Thursday.

“Will I cross the road? And give her these?” I talked to myself, and still decided against it.

If I’ll approach her sometime, I’ll be giving this to her.

Weeks have passed. Months.

The cupcakes were left eaten by me at the end of the day.

I made up another excuse. I said I can save a lot with this commuting façade. My budget for my food increases as I don’t have to gas up every day. That made them shut up as I emphasized every day about ‘food increase’.

I go to our restaurant earlier for me to leave as I always do. If not, Yuri will just want to know why I’ll always want to leave early.

 

~~~

 

Yuri decided to have a meeting today. Being the co-owner of this restaurant, I stayed for a while.

I looked at my watch and realized that it is already 5:50pm. I stood up from my seat, eyes shifted at my direction.

As I blurted out, “My bus leaves at 6 pm!”

They were amused of me and laughed for a while.

Realizing I was serious, they just let me off.

“Ugh, just go. I don’t know why you’re conscious of what time the bus leaves. Just work here full time tomorrow, okay? Bye.” Yuri said.

And I’m just thankful for that. “Bye. Thanks.” I said shortly.

I dashed off to the bus stop. I’m not a fast runner and I don’t like running in the first place, but this is worth it, I can feel it.

“Oh, gosh it’s past 5:55pm” This made me run faster.

I arrived at the bus station at almost 5:59pm. Whew. I tried regaining my breath. It wasn’t easy running, you know. I lost 4 minutes to see her. As I glance at her side, she’s already boarding the bus and my bus arrived as well.

I sit at the window side of the bus and watch her from here. I am looking at her intently when she looked my way. Here I am, caught off guard again. But this time I smiled at her, like feeling sorry that I’m not able to see her normally.

And my heart was contented when she smiled back at me.

I know I’ll be waiting for Monday to come for me to see her again. But this is the best day I’ve ever had, and this can fill me up for this weekend.

Little did I know, it’s the last time I’ll see her.