Should I Cross the Road?

The Other Side of the Road

Jessica’s POV

 

Teaching has been my passion for the past four years, and I have never been tired in sharing my knowledge or mingling with the kids in the kindergarten. My schedule ended at 4:30pm and it is already 5:00pm, cleaning my desk in the faculty room when Tiffany approached me.

“Jessie, Ms. Kim wants us in her office,” indicating the principal of the school.

“Oh, I was hoping I could go home early today.” I really wanted my sleep.

“You’ll just sleep, for sure. Come on.”

So here I am, listening to every word Ms. Kim is saying. Tiffany is seated just across me. I looked at her wondering why she’s always super attentive. Suddenly, my attention got caught when she talked about us transferring.

“So Ms. Jung,” Ms. Kim looked at me. “What do you think about teaching in Incheon Kindergarten?,” she said.

“Uhm, great?” I am wondering why she asked that. “I mean, it’s a foreign school. Who wouldn’t want to teach there?”

“Then congratulations to both of you! I recommended you both to them, they wanted you to go there for an interview for formality purposes and then you’ll both be transferring there after this school year.” Ms. Kim explained.

I looked at Tiffany confusingly. There’s only three months left for this term and I’ll be transferring with my best friend.

“Jessie! Stop being so clueless. It’s our dream school.” Tiffany disturbed my thoughts.

“Ms. Jung, Ms. Hwang is right. I knew you’ll both fit there.” Ms. Kim smiled to me.

“Oh my God! For real?!” Finally, it dawned on me.

“So come on! Let’s celebrate!,” Tiffany exclaimed.

Before I can answer her, “Uhm, Jess? Can I borrow Tiff for a while?” Ms. Kim shyly asked.

“Oh gosh, Taeyeon. You don’t really have to ask me, you know. Let’s just celebrate this weekend. Tiff is all yours today.” I winked at Tiffany before I left the office.

As I leave the school, I decided to give myself a little treat. There’s this bakery near the bus station where I frequent too. Their macarons is the best I have tasted. And since our celebration is pushed through this Saturday, I’ll just have this.

5:54pm. Gangwon-do Station. Three months. I’ll be missing this – the walk from the kindergarten to the bus stop, day dreaming while waiting for the bus, the macarons and especially the kids.

Everything.

But this is the greatest offer I had in my teaching career. This is what I want, always have dreamt of.

And then I saw her, standing opposite the road, looking clueless waiting for the bus. Her hair is tied up and she looked very cute when she started to pout while checking her watch. I bet she’s new in this place. She talked to someone beside her, maybe asking him something, and then she finally looked relieved. I was watching her the whole time that I didn’t notice that the bus has arrived. I sat on the window side of the bus where I can still see her on the other side. Her bus came and then she got on.

Oh well, just another one – day crush.

 

~~~

 

After my last class has ended, Yoona’s mom came up to me with her child just following her from behind.

“Ms. Jung, Yoona here wanted to give you something.” Mrs. Im smiled at me as she entered.

“Oh, what is it dear?” I crouched down to meet Yoona’s height.

“Uhm, Ms. Jessicaaaa. Here is your chocolate.” Yoona said while extending her arms, giving me a bar of an imported chocolate. “My dad came home and he said I could share my chocolates!” she continued excitedly.

“Thank you.” I accepted her gift and kissed her cheek.

Yoona beamed at me and gave me another chocolate. “Ms. Jessica, can you give this to Ms. Tiffany for meeee?” she cutely asked. “She’s not here and my mom said we’re going to eat out with dad tonight.”

I looked at Mrs. Im. “She won’t stop asking where we’ll eat. She almost forgot to give you those.” She said while ruffling Yoona’s hair.

“Okay I will. Thank you again.” I said as I stood up.  

They said goodbye as I also thank Mrs. Im.

“Bye bye Ms. Jessica.” Yoona said as she waves her hand.

I waited for Tiffany for a while to give her the chocolates personally before going home.

 

“You’re from the principal’s office, aren’t you?” I started.

“Well, where else?” she answered, giving me her isn’t – it – obvious look.

“Gosh Tiff, you’re going home with her everyday and you’re still staying at her office?” I asked for the nth time. “Anyways, Yoona asked me to give this to you.” I gave her the bar of chocolate.

“You’re my best friend Jessie. You know the fact that I’m always clingy when it comes to Taeyeon. And thank you for this,” answering me and shooed me away. “Now go, before you complain on how you waited for me. Bye Jessie,” giving me my hand bag with some books as she pushed me to the door.

I went on my way, not forgetting to buy some snacks for my movie marathon tonight. It’s a Friday and since I’m not into clubbing, I exchange my sleeping hours every Friday watching movies at home.

And here I am, standing again at Gangwon-do Station for the 6:00pm bus.

And there she goes. The same person I saw yesterday. I was not sure at first since her hair is not tied today. But the moment she pouts again as she looks at her watch, I knew it is her. I didn’t notice she’s quite tall until a lady stands beside her, waiting at the same station. I watched her secretly again as I ride the bus. She’s not clueless as yesterday, but she still looks uncomfortable sitting on the bus.

 

~~~

 

Days, weeks, months have passed. I didn’t notice I was making up excuses everyday just to be at the station for the 6:00pm bus. At times, I’ll be waiting for Tiffany for nothing. She would ask me why I waited for her even though I know she’s with Taeyeon. Or maybe stay at the comfort room, trying to look my best.

Sometimes, I’ll be stopping at a café nearby, stay there for an hour after class before going home. And when desperate times call for it, I’ll just stay at the station, seating there, maybe reading a book and then pretend that I just arrived there before she could show up at the other side, though I know she’s not really paying attention to the people around her. I just did anything for me not to be late.

I would learn new things from her every time she shows up at the bus station. She’s always looking at her watch which I don’t know why since the bus always arrives exactly at 6:00pm.

Cupcakes. I can always see her carrying cupcakes every Thursday. She looks good when her hair is tied up, but she looks gorgeous when she just lets it down. Her fashion sense is really commendable. I haven’t seen her wearing a skirt, but I know judging by the clothes she wears, she’s an office girl. But sadly, every Wednesday, she’s not there.

And the days I have been watching her, I asked myself, “Should I cross the road?”

Well, crossing the road is easy, but making my presence known, that would be hard. I’m sure, once I get there, she’ll just look at her watch or I’ll just look like someone that happens to wait for the bus going north bound.

It even crossed my mind to ride the bus she’s riding just to continue watching her more than the 5 minute–chance I have everyday. But that would make me a stalker, isn’t it? I think I’ll just be contented with this.

 

~~~

 

Three months have passed; I’ve already worked on necessary papers for the transfer along with Tiffany. I’ve said my goodbyes to my colleagues. It’s Friday, and it’ll be the last day I’ll be watching her in this waiting shed. I didn’t bother to buy my snacks for my movie marathon today.

It’s 5:55pm, and still she’s not there on the other side. I’ll be missing this – waiting for her and just watch her and be amused, her mannerisms and her cute pout.

The stop light for crossing the road turned green. “Should I cross the road?”

Maybe, I’ll just wait for her at that side. It is my last day and somehow I want to know her. I’d like this day not to be the last to see her.

5:58pm. Somehow I’m getting restless. Will she show up? Is she sick?

Oh gosh. Where is she? I badly want to see her.

And then finally, I see her running towards the station. She stopped immediately and then started regaining her breath.

Suddenly, I felt this urge to just cross the road.

It’s my last chance.

 

And when I am about to step forward, the light turned red and the bus arrived in front of me.

It’s already 6:00 pm and I didn’t get the chance to watch her for five minutes for the last time. I board the bus thinking maybe I’ll regret every chance I had to cross the road. But maybe, I can just forget all this. After all, I don’t even know her name.

I glanced at her bus for the last time. My heart flutters when I realized she’s staring at me from there. I’m not sure if she smiled at me, maybe a little, but I just smiled back.

And the bus slowly starts to move, and that is the last time I saw her.