24 Hours

24 Hours

07.00

Kai sat there in the couch as he watched a TV when the emergency broadcast appears. He rarely watch TV before, But today is different. He had to when he receive a short message from his friend Chanyeol this morning "Turn on the TV, Now!" What could be so important that his friend has to tell him to watch a TV in the morning? He didn't regret when he found out.

"...disintegrated ninety seconds after the launch, killing all twelve crew on board. The NASA space shuttle, History, has been destroyed. The final mission to save mankind has failed. The sixty-mile-wide asteroid known commonly as Matilda is set to collide with Earth in exactly twenty-four hours, and we'll be bringing you up-to-the-minute coverage of our countdown to "The end of the world". I, Song Ji Hyo from SBS, reporting to you as our last broadcast. May the god protect us all."

Kai sat there silently.

08.00

Kai can hear shouting outside. Riot he thought. Kai didn't bother to pack his belongings or go panic searching place to hide. He didn't care about this whole situation even after hearing that an asteroid described as Total Extinction-level was on a collision course with earth. It still sounded ridiculous in his head. End of the world. He already watched many movies about apocalypse. It just never occurred to him that he'd live to see the actual apocalypse. He then realize that he probably gonna die alone. His mother passed away when he still six. His father, being a scumbag he is, leave him when he's twelve. Since then Kai lived with his Aunt Emma who treat him like her own child. But as time passed, aunt Emma didn't last longer. She died of cancer two years ago, leaving Kai on his own. But he never give up. As he grew up, he finally found a decent job, enough for him to pay his own apartment. Kai had never been in love before. Chanyeol will always try to hook him with his girl friend, but none catch Kai attention which drive Chanyeol frustrated.

Kai microwaved a Hot Pocket and sat down at the kitchen table. He's staring at the sky from his window, realizing that this is such a good day to die. It's been a while since he had his last morning walk he thought. The last time he had was with his mother, fourteen years ago. Kai chewed and swallowed the rubbery bite of Hot Pocket. Then pushed the plate away. putting his head in his hands, and quietly began to sob.

09.00

Kai woke up when he heard a loud banging from the front door. Kai yawning as he stared at the clock hanging on the wall. He just wasting one hour of his remaining life he thought. Finally, he got up, shambled down the corridor to open the front door. He saw his friend Chanyeol standing in front of him.

" Kai ! Come with me ! We're going to have a party in my house ! You should come !"

Kai couldn't believe what his friend just said. Most people at a time like this would be spending their time with their family. Not partying like a douchebag.

"No" Kai replied coldly

"Aww, come on Kai, You can't be alone. You can't really die Alone" Chanyeol insisting. Kai can feel the emphasis at the last word.

"I'm not going to die alone. I'm going to die with....everyone else"

"No, this is different. You know my friend Yoona ? I think you'd like her. Maybe we should, you know. Set you up."

"No thanks Chanyeol. I would like to spend the rest of my life here." Kai said as he going to close the door.

"Alright then. See you in the afterlife!" Chanyeol smirked as he back to his car.

09.15

Kai decided to take a walk to the park. He was thinking when he saw everything around him, Why was there still traffic when a giant asteroid is gonna destroy entire population in a few hours? Why did the hobos pee on the sidewalk and why did the chicken cross the road and why hadn't they all just stay at their home instead running around looking for a safety place, watch the sky light up like a fireworks, like the Fourth of July times a thousand, ten thousand, and just let it go?

09.45

He arrived at the park still wondering why they'd named an asteroid with such whimsical name like Matilda ? Maybe a reference to Australia, where everything could kill you? Or maybe because naming it "Giant Flaming Balls of Death" was just too cruel. As he walked around the park, he saw a boy sat in a bench near the pond. He has a blonde hair with a bang covering his eyes. Kai decided to approach him. Making a friend before the Armageddon wouldn't be a bad idea right?. When he approach him, he can hear the boy was singing.

I will commit any sin

If that allows me

To share your pain.

When you die

I will kiss your icy cheek once.

The Erica's adorning the coffins mean "Loneliness" in the flower language.

I was born alone in this world

and when the time comes, alone i will die.

This is my fate,

But why are tears rolling down my cheeks?



Kai frozen in his place. His voice like an angel. But, at the same time, it was full with sorrow and loneliness. Kai then take his step closer to the boy and tapped him in the shoulder.


"Hello, What's your name ?" Kai asked.

The blonde boy turned around to face Kai who stood there, star gazed at the stranger in front of him. The boy have a doe-like eyes and a pale skin. His bangs covering his part of his small, feminine face. He notice that the boy had just cry.

"My name...is...LuHan" He says still sobbing, worrying his lip.

"LuHan ? My name is Kai, Nice to meet you." Kai stretch his hand to shake the blonde hands.

He can see that LuHan is a bit hesitated, but shake his hand eventually

"What are you doing here all alone? And why are you crying?" Kai blurted out everything he could. He didn't want to lose this moment seeing only couple of hours before the Armageddon.

"I...don't...know. I just...confused." He say stuttering.

Well, Isn't this awkward  Kai thought to himself.

"Umm, So, what's your plan today before, you know, that Matilda thing."

"I don't have one. Have you?" LuHan replied.

Okay, this is definitely awkward

10.30

After a few awkward conversation, Kai finally know a bit about LuHan background. He lived in the same apartment above Kai to which his surprise, that he never seen him before. LuHan didn't talk much about his parent, but according to his story, Kai assumed that both have died. LuHan didn't have any other relative so he decided to live on his own. LuHan also told Kai that he doesn't really have much friend. All people who Luhan knows already left when they first heard about the news. LuHan told Kai that he was planning to go to Jeju Island, the place that he always dreaming of. He want to spend the rest of his time there, with the other people, admiring the beach and the sea. But there weren't any more planes left. He suddenly let out a cry. He was crying because he thought that he's gonna die alone in this park, until he met Kai.

"Don't worry LuHan. You're not going to die alone." Kai said as he wrapped his hands around LuHan shoulder.

"Thank you." He whisper softly. Kai can see a smile formed around LuHan face.

 A few hours ago I'm pretty sure that i was gonna die alone. Now here i am, sitting beside someone i barely know, waiting together, for the end of the world Kai murmured to himself.

"It would be nice you know, to die in a place you like the most." LuHan suddenly spoke.

"To see the beach, the water, the people there, the flower, everything."
 
Kai can feel that LuHan must be so lonely by himself before he met him. Living all alone, without a friend. He can feel it as he too, living all lonely in his apartment. If only Kai thought. If only i can help him. If -

Then it crossed his mind.

"LuHan," Kai whispered "I think i can get you to a plane"

12.00

They left Kai apartment short after.

LuHan was painfully eager, kept asking Kai where he'd find a plane, LuHan thought they were all grounded. Kai didn't answer. But if it was the last thing he did, he probably tell him already. But no, Kai want to make this as a surprise to LuHan. To make a beautiful memory inside of him, so he didn't have to be scared when the times come. There was something in the sky alongside the sun now, even brighter, so the afternoon light was dazzling. They drove down to outside the city as he exited the expressway. They passed a beach nearby, then Kai pulled over his car to stop for a while.

"Do you want to go out for a while Lu ?" Kai asked.

"Oh, I thought we're gonna find a plane?" LuHan replied.

"Soon, my friend. Soon." As he grabbed LuHan hands and drag him to the beach. There were a whole bunch people nearby who dressed like hippies. In fact Kai nearly stepped over one of them when they popped out of nowhere from behind a sand dune. And they all looked happy. Not in the maniac way, full with drug-fueled face. It was like they were a big family just meeting up again after years away, looking for fun on the beach, sharing the contents of each other and laughing. Playing with each other's kids. And in their own time, sometimes alone or sometimes together, holding hands, walking down to the sea.

Kai and LuHan went down at the end of the line, closed their eyes, listening to the wave sounds. They sat there, letting the water washed their feet as time passed. Kai didn't want the time to go on, he want to stay here, with a new friend he just found a few hours ago. And it seems LuHan felt the same as he holding Kai hands tightly. It was only as the sun was starting to go down, but the sky still remained luminously bright, that Kai let go LuHan hands as he stood up and took a deep breath.

"Come on, Lu" Kai said "Time to go"

15.00

Kai can't believe it. Just a moment ago his car was perfectly fine. Now he found himself and LuHan walking along the empty road, waiting for a car to show up.

"I'm sorry Lu, I should-be check the gas before we go"

"It's okay Kai, as long we're together" Luhan replied optimistically.

Kai didn't expect that kind of answer. It somehow make him a bit relaxed even the Apocalypse is drawing near. And he only have one thing to do, to make sure LuHan get to Jeju island. Then just as like the God hear his pray, a yellow pickup coming by, the only car on the road for miles. Kai then screaming and waving his hands at the car so the driver can see them.

The driver's name was Henry. He was a nice guy (LuHan thought). Henry was telling Kai and LuHan about himself. Henry had lived alone, hardscrabble quiet life in the country, before he'd woken up with pain that wouldn't go away. Then he gone to the doctor who diagnosed terminal cancer and gave him six months to live. Then he the TV and it said twenty-four hours. Hell of a situation. Like the world was trying to tell them all something.

Henry had just about shared his entire life story, and his father, and his grandmother, when he finally pulled the truck over, cut the engine, and turned to Kai.

"Alright," he said. "I knew it, from the moment i see your cold stare. I'm ready. What's it going to be?"

Kai and LuHan stared at Henry. "What?"

"Bullet in the brain? Or the back ?

"What?"

"I thought we were going to do it in that field over there. Pretty place to go. I'm ready. But someone might come by you know, Damn fool policemen pulled me over yesterday for speeding and wouldn't let me off. had to spend the night in jail."

Kai stare at LuHan and back to Henry. He didn't quite understand what the hell is going on here.

"I don't think I am - who you think I am." Kai managed

Henry stared at him. The silence got longer and louder and longer, until Kai could hear the other man began to laugh.

"Thank God!" he shouted. "Thank God! I was afraid of that!."

"Afraid of what?" Kai asked.

"Afraid that i could fight you off." He kept laughing. "You see, when a man -"

Then there was a bang - a hole blown in the windshield. A black car squealing off down the road, while Kai and LuHan sat frozen, staring at Henry, blood bubbling from the bullet hole on his head. And then, Kai understood. He'd seen posters advertising this kind of service. You could hire a hitman - for yourself. Kai couldn't speak anything but to admire Henry courage. Neither the cancer or the asteroid was going to get him. He chose his own way out.

"Um, Kai? What should we do?" LuHan suddenly spoke to him

"Let's go bury him, we can't let him in here any longer right?" Kai replied.

He found a shovel back in the truck and start digging a hole with LuHan. They keep digging in silent, until they just finished, throwing on the last shovelful.

"Now where's the key?" Kai asked as he walk to the truck.

"I don't know, I thought you have it." Luhan said.

Then Kai realized. With a heavy sigh, they started to dig again.

17.00

After a bit digging in and out for a few hours, they continue their journey. They both now standing outside a big farm. Kai always known this place. He just had never gone here. In front of them, a beautiful small house lies there. Kai sighed, then walk into the door, knocking.

"Who's there?" An old man voice called

"Hey, Siwon. It's....it's Kai."

A pause so long he thought the door wouldn't open. Until it did.

It was like staring at his future self, or at least the future self he imagined would have been Kai thought. Tall and strong and still handsome, dark hair gone silver.

"Hey." Kai voice was flat, strange-sounding.

"Father, this is LuHan. LuHan, this is my father."

"Hi." they said in unison.

LuHan excused himself awkwardly to find a restroom.

"He's your friend? or maybe boyfriend? Siwon asked.

Kai didn't know how to answer it. Finally he shook his head.

"I just...you know, with everything, your mother didn't make it easy -"

'Don't you dare," Kai hissed. "Don't you dare say a word about Mom."

"I...I'm just trying to say sorry." Siwon replied.

"Then how about you say it?"

Silence. Until Siwon finally said.

"I'm sorry," he said. "Kai, I'm so sorry. More than you could believe, son. I wish...I wish there was a way to go back. A way to redo. But - "

"It doesn't matter," Kai interrupted "You know, It really doesn't matter now."

19.00

They stayed for dinner. Siwon cooked a feast. They ate and drank wine together and talked. Kai and Siwon sat on the porch swing as Siwon played the old harmonica he'd given to his son once, the last keepsake Kai had of him. LuHan watched them through the window, where he volunteered to clear up. He was tired, he hadn't slept in what felt like days. Just a nap. Just close his eyes. Just for a while.

20.00

Later that night, Kai hold up the sleeping LuHan, and carried him across the backyard. To the two-seater Cessna Siwon owned. His father already on board behind the controls. Kai opened the door and laid him in the jump. Couldn't stand to let him go, knowing more than ever that he had to, running a soft to his blonde hair between his fingers. Then he lean closer as he whispered " LuHan, you're the love of my life."

He stirred, but didn't wake. Kai stepped back and shut the door. Looking at his father for the last time, he can see Siwon gave him a thumbs up and the plane began to take off. The tiny plane raced faster and faster and then fly into the sky, tail lights glowing  in the sky among the stars, taking LuHan to his dream places, where he belonged.

22.00

Kai just arrived at his own apartment and goes lay down on the floor. He lay there staring at the ceiling. Tried to relax. He felt hurt on his chest, like there was a knot the size of Antarctica between your ribs, where you couldn't get enough. Not enough air, not enough time, not enough and not enough. Wondered if Luhan was in Jeju island yet. Kai kept lying there until the lights went dark. The power was out. He could only hear the breeze and his breathing.

And the door opened. And somebody in his living room.

No.

No.

Kai couldn't believe it. Luhan was standing there. It was real. More real than anything.

"I woke up," He whispered. "I woke up and made your father turn around. And then i got his car. I just...Kai...I didn't...I didn't want to go to Jeju island alone. However short it was. I - "

He tried to keep explaining. To say something else. To justify. To defend. Kai only crossed the room and pulled him into his arms and hug him like the world was ending.

23.00

It was getting lighter and lighter outside now, but it wasn't from the sun. Kai and LuHan lay tucked into the bed, gazing into each other's eyes, Kai hands on LuHan cheek, his fingers closed around him. He was trembling.

"I don't want to fall asleep," he whispered. "Please don't let me fall asleep."

"I promise," Kai told him, LuHan cheek. "It's alright. I just want to be with you."

"And i want to be with you" LuHan let out a big breath. "What do we do now?"

"I just want to stay here with you. Just want to talk." Kai replied.

"About what?"

"I don't even know." Kai laughed helplessly. "I kept thinking we'd have so much more to say to each other. That there never could have been enough time.

Outside, there was an explosion. Deep and echoing and rolling.

"Oh God," LuHan whispered.

"No, it's alright." Kai wrapped his arms around LuHan, pulled him into his.

"I am madly in love with you LuHan. I should just say it the moment we first met. Look at me. Look at me. It'll be easy. It won't even hurt. I promise. Quick and easy. And then you and I...we'll fly, LuHan. We'll fly."

Luhan held him tighter. Another, second, louder, thundering explosion. Shaking the walls, the floors, the house, the very foundation of the world.

"Hey, did you remember the song you sung at the park? Could you sing it  for me ?" Kai suddenly asked.

"Together?" LuHan replied.

"Together."

I will commit any sin

If that allows me

to share your pain.

When you die

I will kiss your icy cheek once.

Let's go on a trip, starting from today, the two of us,

piling up the Erica's flower.

I was born alone

Yes, the reason i was born alone

is so that the two of us could meet.

My friend, since that is our fate,

We don't need tears anymore.


"I just thought," LuHan whispered. "I just thought that i should met you earlier."

"Me too," Kai held him tighter. "Me too."

They were still holding onto each other. Harder and harder. As the shocks began to roar, as the light turned blinding, as the door opened, and somewhere beyond this or any world, as they were consumed, as it grew and spread and climbed, as it howled and screamed, as it ended, as it all tumbled down, as the daylight came, as they had to go -

Kai saw it then, with LuHan. Hand in hand as they fell into the inferno, like Icarus from the sun.

They were there together. Now and forever.

Home.