Mistaken [Nana POV]

Dirty y Money 2: Office Antics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Four: Mistaken

I was feeling a little miffed after my conversation with Chanyeol. While I had originally thought that he would have been pleasant to talk to in this setting, I did not think that the conversation would take such an odd turn. He was surprisingly harsh in his words and I had to wonder if there was something that had made him so cynical. I was not running away from the conversation, not at all. But I did not come to this event to be scolded about the role as a woman in today's society. Hopefully, when I returned, the conversation will have shifted away from such an oddly un-casual topic.

“Men,” I mumbled as I reached the table with drinks on it. There were several people who already held drinks in their hands and so I followed their lead and took one at random from the table. I was pleasantly surprised -- the drink was a Shirley Temple, my favorite (because of the grenadine). I sighed in content and the rest of the drink down in only a few gulps. Grabbing another and gathering my courage, I headed back. Chanyeol was standing alone, both Sora and the other woman gone.

“Oh, you're back?” Chanyeol said casually, seemingly haven forgotten about our earlier debate. Good. “Did you find something to drink?”

“Yes, I did, thank you,” I replied curtly. “Where did your date run off to? Does she mind that I'm here with you?” Chanyeol frowned.

“That was someone I’m babysitting for my father, not my date, so I should hardly think that she would mind me being alone with you,” he said. He turned to face me completely. “Why are you so difficult? Do you honestly think that's attractive?”

“I don't really care,” I answered him honestly. “If some one finds me simply stating what I think difficult, then that is their problem. ' to ,' as a friend of mine always used to say. You assume that just because I am a woman, I use my gender as a manipulation tool. Wasn't it just yesterday that you swooped in to 'save' me from that guy last night? I didn't ask for your help, you acted on your own. Maybe a girl rejected you in the past or something, but don't try to accuse me because of some bad experience. Like I said before, there are women who take advantage of their so called 'tender feelings'; however, you must understand that, unlike men, we are not afraid to express ourselves in a way that shows that we are capable of human emotion. I am starting to think that because you are incapable of seeing that, you are unable to understand, and therefore ridicule us.”

By the time I was finished, I was seething. I grabbed a flute of champagne from a passing wait staff and downed in one shot. I could feel the annoyance radiating off of Chanyeol, and felt slightly triumphant because of it. It was at this point that Sora returned, and feeling the heated atmosphere, she just stood awkwardly, wringing her hands awkwardly.

“I heard your statement the first time; it changes nothing,” Chanyeol said glancing at my drink selection. “Yes, there are people who take advantage on either side of the gender spectrum. The tender feelings I referred to is not strength, it is a manipulation. I have seen many men in my day who are 'capable of human emotion' as you put it. But without twisting it into something that’s only for their own benefit. If you were so tender why do you want to start a job that will more than likely stamp this quality from you?” So he knew I was new. I guess Sora filled him in while I was gone. Before I could reply, he charged on.

“So you’ve set yourself up to think you are superior to men because of these emotions and that men are incapable of understanding the female. I doubt you take time in your busy day to really understand the male mind. You don't know what drives us, what makes us tick, because you are too busy trying to explore what you can gain from us to better your life. If we were so incapable of emotion how can we love? Laugh or bring joy to others lives through our own means? No, we are just as capable to have tender feelings, only if we show them than we are ignored or dubbed as weak by the female population. I’ve come to the conclusion you are the one who is mixed up.” He paused as if seeing that he was really getting under my skin. Only, he was getting under my skin.

I was shocked speechless. It took a minute for his words to sink in, but once they had, I went to retaliate and found that I could find nothing to combat his words. Of course, I didn't think he was right; I was going to love my new job, I loved and understood my males friends, and I was damned sure that I wouldn't let anyone try to tell me otherwise.

“Thank you Mr. Park for your opinions,” I said, sarcasm dripping from every word. “I think that I've spent enough time talking with you today. I do hope that you find the time to think about your own cynical judgments before you spew them with such ferocity at others. I no longer wish to waste my breath on trying to convince you otherwise.” I was close to tears and rather than cry in front of him (which I knew would only strengthen his argument) I opted for removing myself from his presence posthaste. 

Giving Chanyeol one last hateful stare, I turned to my attention to Sora. “Please Sora; I hope you find that your friend is more likable than I do, for I am sure that you are the only one who is kind enough to tolerate him. Good day.” With wobbly legs, I my heels and headed off, stumbling slightly on the grass and leaving them behind.

I made my back to where I had entered the party in the first place and pulled out my cell phone. I dialed Yuri again, where I left a message informing her that I was returning to my apartment and she was welcome to come over anytime. I took deep breaths and swiped violently at my eyes, willing myself not to cry. When I finally reached my car, I hopped inside and shut the door violently. And as I drove home, I let the tears fall freely.

By the time I got home, I was all cried out. Luckily for me, I was alone in my car, and I could cry without questions as to why. I made it into the apartment, dropped my bag on the floor by the door and kicked my shoes into the darkness of the room. Next, I stumbled into the kitchen where I grabbed the biggest spoon I could find and the tub of chocolate frozen yogurt from the fridge, ripping into it before I could even flop myself down upon the couch.

I sat there with my comfort food and a frown on my face. I tried to focus on the good things in my life, and find all of the reasons why that stupid, stupid Chanyeol was all wrong about me. I had great parents, they loved me more than anything and I loved them just as much. I just got hired for a great job, despite what Chanyeol thought. I liked bartending at the Purple Lizard and chatting with the patrons and mixing drinks and playing darts sometimes. Yeah, it tired me out a bit, but it was my job.

“Thank god I'll never have to see him again,” I said through a mouthful of ice cream. “A thorn in my side, than man.” I had decided that if I ran into him at the office, I would pretend that he wasn’t even there. It was childish, sure, but he was probably some office assistant on a different floor and the chances of us running into each other were small.

I spent the rest of my day curled on the couch with Draco, watching K-dramas. Yuri came over at noon on Sunday, and she filled me in on the weekend she had as I made us lunch. As it turns out, the guy she hooked up at the Orchid was a guy she’d met when she did her study abroad in China.

“His name is Minseok, but he goes by Xiumin. I never really figured out why,” Yuri gushed. “He was so cute back then; I remember he helped me with voice lessons. He’s in the antiques business now.”

“Okay, that’s great and all, but are you going to see him again? I mean, it sounds like you really like him…” I prodded, giving her a cheesy grin. She blushed to the tips of her ears, and put her hand on her cheek, K-drama style.

“He asked if I wanted to go for lunch with him tomorrow,” she confessed. “He said that he’s going to China at the end of the week, and wanted to spend his remaining time in Seoul with someone fun. That’s me!” Oh, Yuri. She was so cute when she got excited.

“How often does he come to Seoul?” I asked. She smiled even wider and swirled her wine glass.

“Actually, it’ll be his last one for a while,” she said excitedly. “The company he works for is starting a new branch in Bucheon, and he’s going to be the director! He’s got an apartment near the cute little coffee shop with the cats. You know, over in Seocho.”

“My goodness, Yuri. My baby’s all grown up,” I joked. “At least one of us had a good weekend.”

“Whatever happened anyway?” Yuri asked. “Was the guy you were talking to the one from the store?”

“Unfortunately it was,” I explained, setting the finished plates of pasta on the table. I went on to explain Friday night and the debacle at the picnic yesterday.

“It’s always the good looking ones that get you, isn’t it?” Yuri laughed. If only she wasn’t so right. “Well, you know one of my mom’s friends son works in the café there. Kim Soo Hyun is his name I think. And let me tell you, he’s cute, nice and makes good pastries.”

“I’ll have to stop by and check out his buns, if you know what I mean.” Yuri gave me a look of surprise and then we both burst

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter