Secrets

The Archer

“So, what do we have?” Sooyoung asked, crossing the police line to join her subordinates who were the first responders at the scene.

 

“Lee Sungjoon, 42. Multiple arrows to the body, was rushed to Seoul General and is in critical condition,” the officer reported. “The safe was open when we got here, missing about 50 million won in diamonds and gold.”

 

The rest she knew by heart, “let me guess, titanium tipped arrows and no force of entry,” the suspect’s MO didn’t change. They always managed to remain annoyingly elusive with every strike. But, she guessed it was a consolation that his victim wasn’t dead this time round.

 

“Yes Detective, it seems to be the Archer again.”

 

Way to state the obvious. The chief of police was already on their hinds to wrap this particular case up quickly, without the publicity of another hit to add to the rising toll of attacks. “Assist the CSI team with whatever they need, I’ll need a detailed report on my desk of everything that happened from the moment you got the call to now on my desk as soon as possible –meaning yesterday,” instructed Sooyoung, getting an affirmative from the two policemen as they scurried off to their various assignments.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be curled up next to your chaebol right about now,” Changmin asked as a form of greeting. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Same as you, I’m working the case. Because, in case you forgot, this one is all hands on deck,” returned Sooyoung with equal sarcasm. Facts were it didn’t matter that she had an extra day of leave to rest, when there was a vigilante on the loose. “So do we have a motive?”

 

“Just like the rest, Lee Sungjoon was a slimy bugger that had a liking for under aged girls whether willing or not. One of the unwilling victims ended up dead with all evidence pointing to Lee, but it all magically disappeared and he walked,” Changmin provided his partner with a run-down of what he found. “Let’s not forget that he provided substandard boots for the men and women serving in the military, all because the greedy bugger skimmed most of the funds to buy a villa in Jeju.”

 

That didn’t fit his MO, “So why not kill him? He’s done it for less.” He was a blood thirsty vigilante; it didn’t make sense to leave Sungjoon alive.

 

“An eye for an eye,” explained Changmin. “Because of his faulty boots consignment over 500 recruits lost their feet or legs to amputation. The Archer shot out both knees as well as his pelvis –former for the soldiers, later for the girl who died.”

 

If the vigilante had a solid pattern of assault, it would have been easier to stop him, but all the attacks were random. “The gold and jewels are probably on the black market and money distributed to the soldiers and girl’s family.”

 

“I wouldn’t doubt it, his convoluted Robin-Hood act and all. It’s his signature,” the whole case had everyone one edge, with the two of them at the forefront because it was all happening under their jurisdiction. “I’m surprised Wu let you out of the house.”

 

“For your information, Kris doesn’t let me do anything. I do what I want, my boyfriend doesn’t control me.” Sure she was in love, with all the giddy, butterfly crap but, she didn’t undergo a personality transplant because of it. She was her own person, not a doll to be controlled.

 

“You’re calling Ginger, boyfriend now? Last I checked the mere thought would have you choking to death,” he quipped as they walked off the crime scene. “What changed?”

 

“Kris doesn’t look ready to bolt at the allusion of a monogamous relationship,” a clear dig at their past together. With Changmin it was all passion, fire and uncertainty to even think of it as a relationship instead of a thing.

 

“Oh please, he isn’t exactly a veteran in exclusivity, spare me the comparison,” he dismissed. “Besides, I was thinking about your career.”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, “Keep telling yourself that,” their thing was long over, both of them settling for friendship. “So, are we going back to the station so the chief can tear us a new one, or to the hospital to see if Lee’s lucid enough to talk?”

 

“Starbucks for my trusty frappuccino then the hospital,” Changmin suggested, rounding the car to get to the driver side given that she’d walked there and he was the one with the car.

 

“Are you sure you’re a man?”

 

“I think I proved that fact to you on more than one occasion,” they had been dysfunctional in some aspects, but the passion was never lacking, “Unless you want a refresher course.”

 

“Aish, chincha,” she muttered, sliding into the passenger side. “Just drive, big shot.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

The day had been less than productive. They were no closer to stopping or finding the vigilante, and Lee’s statement had been less than helpful. The chief had also expressed his strong discontent of the pace they were moving to close the case. DP profilers were working double time to come up with a feasible profile for them to work with but even they were having trouble coming up with that as well.

 

It was 1 am and the only thing she wanted to do was crawl into her bed and sleep for however long her alarm permitted, which was until 6 am if she was lucky. If she could manage to grab a shower without falling asleep, it would be golden. Half asleep she trudged through her dark apartment which wasn’t exactly the smartest thing ever, confirmed by her face planting on her living room floor. What she didn’t expect was the amused chuckle in the night that accompanied her fall.

 

“I have a gun and I’m not afraid to use it, so if you are thinking of doing something funny, you better think again,” she warned, already reaching for her gun. Only an idiot would break into her house, but she guessed her day wasn’t bad enough without a moron being dare-devil enough to break into her apartment.

 

“Are you really going to shoot your boyfriend for trying to surprise you,” Kris asked walking toward her to help her up. It was only Sooyoung who could be a badass one minute, then trip over air and face plant on the floor, “’Cause this is making me question your affection for me.”

 

Groaning at her embarrassment she allowed him to help her up, “I could still shoot you for being a smartass, Wu,” managing to slip out of her jacket easier with his assistance. “What are you doing here? I thought you would be in Hong Kong ’til the weekend,” not that she was complaining about his earlier arrival.

 

“I finished early, and couldn’t wait to come back to see you,” he revealed with his deep voice, wrapping arms around her waist as he guided her toward the bedroom. “Have you eaten?” knowing she was quite the eater.

 

“Right now all I want is a shower and a bed,” her wish to wash the disappointing and exhausting day was screaming to be fulfilled. Lethargic on her feet as he let Kris guided her.

 

He would have carried her bridal style if he didn’t fear getting punched in the face for the trouble. Sooyoung wasn’t the kind of girl to be carried, “You know I could help you in both aspects. In fact, I would be all too happy to,” innuendo lacing the smooth timbers in his voice, as he whispered the words directly into her ear.

 

“You mean help yourself,” she challenge, knowing just how much ‘help’ he would be in both aspects if she let him. “I’m too tired, Kris,” turning to face him to assure him that she wasn’t just saying it.

 

“Which is why you should let me take good care of you,” he told her backing her toward the bed, “I’ll run a bath for you. Stay here and relax,” dropping a soft kiss on her forehead, before disappearing into the bathroom, hoping she didn’t fall asleep as her eyes had already been drooping.

 

It wasn’t a bad thing, being taken care of and she had to admit a bath sounded much better that shower –in fact it sounded like a dream. So she let him do it, trying not to fall asleep while he started her bath. She didn’t know how long she’d shut her eyes for, but it seemed long enough for him to come back and wake her to tell her, her bath was ready.

 

“Soo, may I use your laptop for a bit? I just remembered a memo I have yet to send,” he asked his girlfriend as she shuffled toward her en suite bathroom.

 

“Sure, it’s in my bag, it should be on,” yawning tiredly even as she spoke. “Just leave it to charge when you’re done?” Not waiting for the answer, she shut the door behind her. The sooner she got cleaner, the sooner she got to sleep.

 

Kris waited until he had the tall tale sloshing sound of water as she entered the tub, before leaving the room door shutting behind him with a soft click. Retrieving the laptop from her bag, he flipped it opened and true to her word it was on, bringing up her home page. The weak firewalls the PD used to safe guard their officers’ log-ins was embarrassingly easy to get past, especially since he was shadowing Sooyoung’s account. Her senior detective status had a higher clearance giving him access to what he needed. From what he could see tomorrow would be his best bet, as most units would be either swarming the jewelry exhibit a block over, or the classic car show on the other end of the city.

 

Downloading what he needed he backtracked clearing any trace he was ever there as he went, finally clearing the page from the computers history before bringing up his email.  Just in time too, as Sooyoung chose that moment to reappear.

 

“I’m just about done,” making a show of it by clicking away, before clicking SEND. “Feel better?”

 

“I’ll be better when The Archer’s off the streets,” her troubles started and stopped with the vigilante. The rising body count, the rising state of paranoia and unrest, her boss running her rugged –it all started with his first kill and will only end when he was behind bars serving hard time.

 

With a sigh, he pulled her into his lap. “I don’t know how I feel about you chasing after an assassin,” burying his face in her neck, relishing her scent.  “From what I’ve read, this guy always leaves a body count,” the last thing he’d ever want was her getting hurt, and going after the Archer would only lead her to harm.

 

“Which is why we need to stop him, before he adds to his victims,” she argued. All the dangers of gong after someone like The Archer she understood, but if she didn’t who would? It was her job to serve and protect the public. She took an oath on it –there was no changing her responsibility.

 

Subconsciously, tightening his arms around her waist, he tried not to panic. “Who knew the first woman I ever gave a damn about would be a stubborn detective chasing after dangerous vigilantes. You know this isn’t good for my newly reformed playboy heart,” he told her half serious, well about the second part.

 

“Think of it as karma for breaking so many hearts,” her counter getting her poked in the side for her trouble. “So are you staying, or is my humble abode to commoner for your taste?” rubbing his arms that were wrapped protectively round her waist.

 

He chuckled, “Wherever you are, is always 5-star baby,” unwinding his arms from around her waist, to allow her to get up.

 

“Aigoo, So cheesy. How did you ever get laid?” she clicked in mock condensation, before holding out a hand for him to take. “But since I’m a charitable person, I suppose I can take you in despite being embarrassed by you.”

 

Funny how he towered over her and was stronger, yet she saw fit to mock him. Tsk, she never learned did she, “Is that so?” he smirked, catching her off guard as he threw her over his shoulder, carrying her fire man style toward the bedroom.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

To want to have two opposing things was selfish on his part, but Kris didn’t know how to let either one go. On one hand was his cause, which was far from over and something he wanted to see through to the end. On the other hand was Sooyoung –the woman he’d fallen in love with, but should have left a long time ago. There had been many opportunities to walk away from her before things got serious. Opportunities he should have taken but, he was too greedy to walk away. So, he lived his life on the edge, always waiting for the day she uncovered the truth and destroyed everything they had together.

 

Mornings like these were spent watching her sleep. The tough as nails detective turning into soft innocence in her slumber that provoked a certain protectiveness in him that was usually reserved for his brothers.

 

The day she discovered the truth about him was drawing nearer, with every kill and mission executed coinciding with his absences, she was bound to figure it out. He waited for that day in dread and anticipation, wanting the secret out already so he wouldn’t have to hide it anymore.

 

Her alarm clock going off tore him away from his morbid thoughts in time to watch her eyes screw themselves shut tighter, a groan of protest escaping her. She always did have her cute moments, not that she liked it acknowledged. She’d soon as drop kick you if you so much as alluded to it. “Prolonging it would only delay the torture, wake up,” he coaxed huskily in her ear, gently rubbing her back.

 

He was such a betraying rat, using that tone of voice with her and rubbing her back knowing it would make her sleepy than alert. “Why did I let you stay over again?” she asked rhetorically eyes still shut reveling in the back rub.

 

“Because I’m the only one who can do this…” trailing off as he buried his face in her neck and began laying the teasing kisses she liked on her skin.

 

Usually she wouldn’t protest, but she had a case to get to, “yah, yah. I have to get to work,” trying to pull away –not really –but, he held firm.

 

“Or you could stay here with me.”

 

“Says chaebol boy,” once again trying to wiggle away, only to get trapped under him for her trouble.

 

“I did offer to be your sugar daddy,” relentless with the kisses.

 

“Being a sugar baby isn’t a viable profession,” she countered, stopping the playing enough to get from under him, and roll them over until she was straddling him. His arms trapped on either side of his head as he smirked up at her. “I have a case to close, so behave.”

 

Says the girl straddling his waist, he would have said just that if she hadn’t cut his words off with a kiss before dashing for the bathroom. “Yah, Choi Sooyoung –” he called after her to , but his words were cut off by her slamming the door shut behind her.

 

His smile faded, flopping down on the bed with a sigh. Living a lie was getting harder to do as the days went by.

 

Chapter Count: 1/4

 

Author’s Note: This was one of the stories that failed to make the cut for Its Midnight, Cinderella. It will probably be a three shot at most. If the case sounds similar it’s from City Hunter.