Someone watching over me

Haru no Soba

The next day, tired and still worried for Saki, I head to the market.  I run into Sho just as he’s leaving the shrine construction site.  He says he’ll accompany me and he asks about last night, obviously worried for his sister.  He had heard her crying last night.  I try to give an explanation but without giving much detail.  Its not my place to tell him even though I want to.  I want someone strong to tell that will go and stand up to this guy.  As we get to the bridge leading across the river and to the market, I see Saki.  She looks upset.  Just then the merchant grabs her by the arm and spins her around.  Not thinking I start to run towards them.  There is no way I would be any help against a man of his size, or any man probably, but I had to help my friend.  I left Sho standing confused as he had not yet noticed the situation.  I attempted to push him away, putting myself between Saki and this cheating, aggressive guy that had made her cry.  Next thing I know, I’m knocked to the ground, my face stinging and the world not quite in focus.  I didn't even see him raise a hand to hit me.  When I gather my senses, Saki was crouched beside me, tears in her eyes and obviously shocked by the whole situation and Sho, I don't know when he realised what was going on but he had come to the aide of his sister, as I had hoped he would, and presently had him by the collar and quite intimidated. 

 

The situation cooled, Sho let go of the merchant after having words with him and he hurried off and the crowd that had gathered went on with their business.  There was an awkward atmosphere over the walk home.  Not much was said except for a few questions asking if I was ok.  We got back to my place, Sho asked again if I was ok as he and Saki left and I went upstairs to rest and put a cool cloth over my eye.  I expect they had a long talk when they got home.

 

The next morning I wake up and take a look in the mirror.  I have a horrible bluish-purple bruise around my right eye.  I wish I didn't have to go out like this but I have to pick up the days ingredients from the market and then work at the restaurant tonight.  Whats worse is that tomorrow is the shrines grand opening celebration and Sho has asked me to go, he even went as far to ask my father so that I could take the night off from working at our soba-ya.  I wonder how long this bruise will last? I muse, poking along my discoloured cheekbone.  Its still a bit sore.  As I go to walk downstairs I notice that there is a small box on my window sill.  Inside is what looks like a small pot of paint with a note folded on top.  It simply reads “I hope this helps - Kamen”.  Kamen?  I open the pot.  Its geisha make-up but not white, its tinted a skin colour.  Does such a thing exist?  This will cover my eye perfectly.