Happiness?

Haru no Soba

The days go on like usual, trips to the market with my head filled with thoughts of the people’s hero, Kamen, and every now and then Sho.  I stop by the kimono shop to chat with Saki, she excitedly shows me what she’s been working on and the latest silks.  

 

After another busy night, I grab my coat and take the nights dishes to the well to wash up.  Its started to get colder and the water is ice cold, making it hard for my fingers to grab the bowls.  “Haru-chan” I hear from behind me “You’re working hard out here in the cold”.  It’s Sho-san.  

“Oh good evening” I say, getting up and wiping my wet hands.  

“Saki says she saw you at work today” he started.  

“Yes.  I stopped by on my way home from the market.  She seems so happy when she works” I rambled.

“Ah yes.  I guess she is” he responded with a smile.

In an attempt to keep the conversation going I bring up Kamen, a great conversation starter in the restaurant.  Sho seems to stall but it works.  We chat for a while beside the well.

“Why do you think he does it?  I mean its so dangerous” I mused.

“Well… I don't know” Sho replies.

“Do you think Kamen gets his happiness from it?”

“Happiness” Sho looks confused.

“Well maybe its kinda like my mum, she says that she is happiest when she sees people enjoying the soba that she has made, even though she is out the back and sometimes goes unrecognised.  Perhaps Kamen is happy just knowing that he has made a difference to the families around here, whether he gets thanked for it or not.”

“Hmm perhaps” he considered “well where does your happiness come from?”

“I don’t know” I said a bit taken aback.

“Not soba?” He asked with a smile.

“Not soba” I confirmed and we laughed.