The Merchant

Haru no Soba

A few days later I run into Saki and she’s absolutely beaming.  She excitedly greets me and proceeds to tell me about a boy she met at market without seeming to stop for breath.  She apparently met him a week ago when he was on business and then again today now that he’s back again.  He’s a merchant.  I can see that she’s so happy but I cant help but be worried.  Merchants have a bad reputation for being unfaithful.  I know Saki knows this so I don't dare bring it up and ruin her good mood.

 

The next day, while at the market, I see Saki with her merchant.  A little more relieved having seen him in person, I decide that a person’s job doesn't make them a bad person and if he makes Saki happy then I will support their relationship.

 

The weeks pass and winter gets colder.  Saki’s relationship seems to be progressing.  She blurts out everything anytime we meet, sometimes too much information.  I’m still a little worried for her.  On the other hand, Sho has been dropping by our shop, not always for dinner, but we’ve had a few chances to chat.  He’s been working hard over at the shrine, a team of 30 carpenters have been busy trying to get it completed in time for the festival.  It’s amazing to me how something so grand can be built in just a few months.  

 

And then what I had been fearing in the back of my mind became a reality.  It had become routine for me to keep an eye out for Saki’s merchant anytime I went to the market.  I just couldn't shake the worries I had for her.  He was a cheater.  I saw him whispering in some other girls ear before grabbing her by the hand and leading her through a doorway.  I felt sick.  How could he do that?  Why did Saki have to meet such a man?  How will she react?  I have to tell her. 

 

I stop by the kimono shop and go over to her house but she’s not there.  I have to start work but the whole time I’m distracted, always watching the window to see when she comes past.  Nothing.  Its late by the time work is done and I know Saki will likely be asleep if she’s home but this can’t wait.  “Saki” I call through the door, knocking lightly so as not to disturb the neighbours.  Sho opens  the door asking if I am ok.  I apologise for the late hour and see Saki cleaning up in the kitchen.  She must have walked past the restaurant when I wasn’t looking.  She looks up from her dishes and I fight back tears.  We go to her room, speaking softly so that Sho wont hear our conversation through the thin shoji screens.  Saki just cries.  I stay until she finally falls asleep and then sneak out, heading home for a few hours sleep.