Lucky Cup

How Can You Love Me The Way I Love You?

Baekhyun carefully takes out the espresso from the paper bag and warily puts it in the middle of Park Chanyeol’s desk. He then pasted the little orange post-it note with a smiley on it. The chair’s owner has not arrived yet. His wristwatch says 10 minutes before 8 AM, so he guessed the person he’s looking forward to will be arriving any minute from now.

He decided to take a seat now on the adjacent chair while waiting for Chanyeol and their professor. While waiting, Baekhyun cannot prevent himself from reminiscing on his first encounter with Park Chanyeol and how that meeting gave a new light to his gloomy world.

It was the first day of being a student in the university. Baekhyun drowns himself with overwhelming emotions while looking at his official student form he was unconsciously holding tightly. Being in college means a lot to him that anyone can imagine. He has been very much looking forward to this day as this day will be the start for him to realize his own and his father’s dream. He can clearly remember the happiness in his father’s eyes when he told him that he passed university’s entrance exams and was granted full-time scholarship because of his excellent performance in high school. His father had become less happy when his mother died of leukemia when he was barely 12 years old. Although Baekhyun can feel that his dad was somehow content after remarrying his stepmom, Baekhyun had never seen him that blissful the day he told him about passing in the university.

His dad was a struggling chef businessman who owns a nearby restaurant. It may not be the top restaurant there is but it never failed to provide them with enough finances to support their living as well as his schooling. The restaurant also gave Baekhyun a sense of assurance that there is no worry for his father to fully support his college.

Baekhyun thought that everything is falling in place accordingly despite living with his not-so-kind stepmother and annoying stepbrother. He always had this strange feeling towards his stepmother on the way she stares at him mockingly especially when his dad is not around. He even heard her one night arguing with his father about letting him pursue in college.

“There’s no need for him to go to the university, honey. High school education is enough. Look at my son. I decided not to enrol him in college not only because he had no intention of doing so but because even high school graduates can still find a job these days. If you ask me, we are just wasting money for this.”

“Honey, I have been saving since then for Baekhyun’s education. Besides, my boy will be in scholarship so we may even save a lot from that. Trust me, all I dream about is to see my Baekhyun get his diploma and realize his dreams that I myself during my younger years was not able to fulfil. Let’s not argue on this anymore. My decision is final. Baekhyun will go to college.”

The passion and expectations of his father from him inspired Baekhyun to do his best in school. Thus, he was extremely excited on his high school’s graduation day where he finished garnering the highest honours from the batch.

However, he was not expecting that the supposed to be joyous end of his high school days will also be the same day when his father got himself in an accident which instantly killed him on the spot.

The death of his father was also the loss of their restaurant as it was levied by the bank for them to pay unsettled dues of his dad. All of their savings was also used up to its last cent. All his life was spent in school so he had no experience whatsoever in finding a job to support himself.

Everything that he had gone through is enough to discourage him in not pursuing his studies. However, everytime he remembers the happiness in his father’s eyes, Baekhyun feels optimistic and driven to move on. He had no working experience but luckily, Tao’s family let him work part-time in their coffee shop for a month before the 1st semester starts. Baekhyun had no other choice but to work for himself, and unfortunately as well to his stepbrother and stepmom who thinks that Baekhyun was the primary reason for the death of his father.

Filling his lungs with air and shoving the bad memories aside, Baekhyun puts on his ‘fighting’ face and proceeds to his first class as indicated in his class card.

First subject is Basic Economics. Room 129. Professor Ji Suk Jin. He enters the room where he can see few students already inside. He found the right spot near the wall three rows from the front and settled himself immediately. He almost forgot that he was bringing a paper bag with warm espresso cup inside. It was a ‘good luck’ coffee coming from Tao’s mother which he could not decline. He is not a fan of coffee but after working for a month in a coffee shop, he slightly got used to the smell of it.

Baekhyun stayed quietly on his chair while more students are coming in. He does not feel making friends right away with his new classmates. He used to be a cheerful and friendly person back in high school but after the recent happenings, he learned how to distant himself from others while consoling his own heartaches alone.

He was distracted out from his reverie when he noticed someone slightly poking his arm. When he raised his head to see the owner, he was taken aback.

“Is this seat taken?” Baekhyun heard the low soothing voice of the guy asking him. He was not sure but Baekhyun thought he looked like a complete idiot while gaping at the boy. He saw the confusion written in the taller’s handsome face, so Baekhyun immediately collected himself and answered in a soft voice, “No. I think not.”

Baekhyun suddenly felt so conscious about the guy sitting beside him. The guy was talking to the tanned boy on the other side while he subtly observed him. He was very tall, about 6 feet as Baekhyun discreetly surveys the guy. He noticed every single detail he can take in about the taller - how his fingers were twirling a pen or how his chest slowly rise and fall from laughing on whatever the tanned boy is telling him. Baekhyun already felt a long time ago that he was gay for not liking the girls who used to confess to him during high school, but he was not expecting that he will be instantly falling for a guy he just met three minutes ago.

It seems all senses of Baekhyun was on full alert that even the low-voice conversation of Chanyeol and the tanned boy was very clear to his ears.

“Kkamjong, you think I can still make it on time if I’ll go out now and buy coffee from Starbucks across the university entrance? I’m really dying to drink coffee right now. Slap me. I’m really on the verge of dozing off right now.”

“What are you? Superman? Well, on slapping you. Why not? Come here.”

Baekhyun saw how the tanned boy playfully raised its right palm higher while aiming for the other’s cheek. He does not know what drunken spirit has entered his body at that time as Baekyun found himself interrupting the two boy’s playful conversation as he raised his right hand towards them holding the now not-so-hot espresso cup from Tao’s mom.

His action halted the two boys’ banter who were now directing their full attention on him causing Baekhyun to be in panic mode.

“Uhm..u-uhm.. Do you want coffee? I k-knda h-heard you saying that you want one so I guess I can offer you -mine right n-now.”

Baekhyun can feel cold sweats breaking through his face and he’s now on the brink of hyperventilation as he saw Chanyeol’s confused face and the tanned boy’s questioning look. He was still holding the cup high at Chanyeol’s shoulder level.

“O-oh. I’m s-so s-sorry. I didn’t mean to i-interrupt.” Baekhyun stutters while slowly lowering his right arm together with his reddened face due to embarrassment. However, not three seconds after that, he heard once again the low soothing voice of Chanyeol.

“REALLY? Are you sure? You’re giving that to me?”

Baekhyun, again falling into the trance of the guy’s sparkling eyes due to excitement, slowly nodded to the latter’s question.

“Thank you very much! You’re so nice. Kkamjong look!”

“You’re such as shameless giant!” He heard the tanned boy exclaimed. However, Baekhyun could not take his eyes off from Chanyeol’s excited face as he shows off the espresso cup to his other seatmate like a child given his favourite lollipop. His attention was just focused to the taller guy that he failed to notice Kai’s knowing-smile and amused look.

“I’m sorry. By the way, I’m Park Chanyeol. I’m a freshman here. My friend here is Kim Jongin but you can call him Kai. And you are?” The taller, with his killer smile, extended his right hand to Baekhyun for a handshake.

“Byun Baekhyun, freshman.” He responded but his heart made a cartwheel when he felt his palm touched the other. He felt himself heating up and was sure that a terrible blush can be seen on his cheeks. He immediately pulled his hand from the handshake and lowered back his gaze on his lap.

“Good! We’re batch mates then. I guess we’re friends now. Thank you again for the coffee!”

Tao’s mom was absolutely right. That espresso was definitely Baekhyun’s lucky coffee after all.

................................

A/N. Finally Chapter 2 is up. Special thanks to new subscribers EXOFAN4EVA, EvangelineSerina, Joudrew, and Nanananamii. Please subscribe and upvote. Love you all!!! (^_^)