This is Me

How Can You Love Me The Way I Love You?

Baekhyun languidly stretches his petite frame sideways on his bed upon hearing the sound of his alarm clock slowly going into crescendo. It’s 5 AM now, the digital clock reflects. Time to wake up and haul his lazy off from bed  if  he  does  not  intend  to  have  the  screams of his stepmother as breakfast.   He still feels awfully heavy-eyed after having able to finally drift to sleep the previous night past 1:00 AM already. Last night was just like all of his other evenings since his father remarried four years ago and died a year after. After ending his 3-hour shift from 4 PM to 7 PM as a student assistant in the university, he immediately proceeded to Mrs Yoo’s residence while eating dinner on the way, to tutor her 10 year old daughter Ji Hyo, which he does two hours daily as supplementary lessons for the child’s poor performance in school.

Byun Baekhyun is now in his third year in the university with a double major in business management and economics. His academic standing tells everyone that he is one of the best students of the batch. However, studying in an exclusive university without parents to morally and financially support is not as easy as ABC for him. He had to continue his studies through scholarship, but he had to exert extra effort for him to buy his books and finance himself with project materials and other school-related stuff.

His reputation in school plus his known economic status earned him an easy spot as a working student assistant. The pay isn’t much but at least it’s a source of income. For three hours a day after his last subject at 4:00 PM, he just have to help the librarian arrange the library cards and bring back the books to its original places. This job is an advantage for him since being a student assistant gives him the privilege of borrowing as many books he wants from the library which helps him maintain his excellent scholastics records.

However, the pay coming from being a student assistant is not enough to cover his expenses in school, at home, and for other people. That’s why he grabbed the opportunity right away when one of his professors recommended him to tutor his niece Ji Hyo.

Juggling studies and work until 10 PM daily is totally draining, not to mention that he still finds time to work on his assignments when he arrives at home to maintain his hard-earned scholarship in the university. However, what’s more draining and even to the point of deadly, is when he gets home greeted with a trashy atmosphere – soiled dishes unwashed carelessly piled in the sink, empty beer bottles scattered  on the floor, and most of all a ty stepmother and good-for-nothing stepbrother lying in the sofa while watching a rubbish television show.

Baekhyun sleepily dragged his feet towards the kitchen to first, tidy the greasy plates pushed down in the sink left from last night’s dinner, and second make breakfast for himself and his ty housemates. After battling with the cold water from the faucet and the nauseous smell of grease from the dishes he washed, he opened the refrigerator expecting to find anything that can be cooked edible to at least satisfy their stomach parasites, but was disappointed to see nothing but a slimy bag of old red beans, three eggs, and a nearly decomposing cabbage. He fought the strong feeling of disappointment running throughout his body and the hot liquid starting to line on his eyes. He knew it. The few dollars he handed over to his stepmother for grocery yesterday morning was either spent for beer or gambled until the scarce amount will allow.

“At least there are still a few grains of rice,” Baekhyun optimistically thought, shoving away the weariness he feels in that early morning.

……………………………………………………………………………….

After unleashing his hidden chef skills given the available items in the fridge, he sets the constructed ‘breakfast’ on top of the dining table with a heavy sigh escaping his lips. It’s the best thing that he can do because even the best chefs in the world cannot make a dish out of stinky beans, cabbage, and eggs. The round clock on the wall now reads 10 minutes past 6 o’clock, so he immediately goes back to his room to take shower and get himself ready for school.

His first class starts at 8:00 AM so at around 6:40 AM, he already picked up his things and started walking to the exit. However, he was stopped on his tracks upon seeing an ugly frown on his stepmother’s face, and a blank stare from his stepbrother while looking at the ‘breakfast’ and rice settled on the table.

Suddenly, his stepmother stands up almost knocking over the dining table and shrieks at his face. “Is this what you call BREAKFAST? Where the did your useless brain learn that a poop can be eaten? Are you messing up with me?”

He calmly replied. “Mom, there’s nothing I can cook for breakfast from the fridge. It’s all that’s available. I gave you money yesterday for grocery since you told me you’re the one who’s gonna do the shopping, but I guess you haven’t bought grocery yet?”

She pointed her wrinkly finger to Baekhyun and started poking it on his forehead before she responded. “And now you’re accusing me of spending your worthless money? Hah! Can you even buy decent food from that? Yes, I did not buy grocery. I bought beer instead since at least liquor can help me forget that I have a good for nothing stepson that spends most of his time in the useless university instead of making money for this family! If only your ing father did not go to you that day, he would have been alive today and I’m not stuck in this ed up life with you! ” She retorted screaming the last statement on his ears that it hurt his eardrums.

 

He can’t help but be affected with her words especially about the death of his father. If only he just kept to himself rather than telling his father that he got the highest award from the school body as the top student of the batch. If only he did not invite him to come to the awarding ceremony that day. If only.

 

He felt hot tears pricking the insides of his eyes, but he cannot give his stepmom the satisfaction of seeing him in tears.

He straightened himself and forced his voice out of the constricted confines of his throat. “Mom, I’m sorry. I have to go now. I’m gonna be late for my class now. If you do not want to eat the food available, just buy something from the outside. Here’s the money.”

She immediately grabbed the bills from Baekhyun's hands as if someone’s going to take it away from her.

Just like that she barged outside the door. Baekhyun threw an uninterested gaze to his stepbrother who is eating lazily the ‘breakfast’. At least his efforts don’t get totally wasted.

…………………………………………………………………………………..

The university is just a few miles away from Baekhyun’s residence. However before going to the bus station, he goes first to his usual stop – an old coffee shop right down the corner to start his ‘morning routine’ right. It takes a minute walk from his gloomy home to the coffee house but today, it feels a lot longer. The words from his stepmom really penetrated his mind and it bothers him a lot. However, he may still have a hangover from the drama encountered with his stepmom earlier but the depressing feeling subsided a bit when he pushed the door of the shop open and sees his panda-like friend over the counter.

“Good morning, Baekki. Still the usual I presume?”

He gave Tao a nod and forced the muscles of his upper lip to raise a bit for a smile but unfortunately, none of that happened. Tao, as sensitive as he is, noticed his friend's low-spirited aura.

“Baek, you OK?” Tao hovers over him with a concerned expression on his face. “Is it your stepmom again?”

The smaller boy looked Tao with sad eyes he cannot hide. Tao, although older than him by 4 years, has been a confidant since time immemorial. He was there when Baekhyun still has a complete happy family until he's left with nothing but what he is today. Seeing the concern reflected in Tao’s eyes, Baekhyun suddenly felt guilty for making his friend feel that way . “I’m fine Tao-shi. I am just tired since I slept late last night.”

“You told me a thousand times already that you need money but working as a student assistant is enough. Give up on the tutoring job. Or either way, you have to lose the other. Look at you Baek, you are a walking zombie to me. You are already pressured in maintaining your grades in school. Stressing yourself for two jobs will eventually kill you. Plus the fact that your stepmom and stepbrother pester you at home. You are not telling me but I know Baek. You may hate me, but if this goes on, I have no other choice but to tell them about this.”

“No. Tao, please. Leave them out of this. I promised them that I am alright, and right now I am. They have problems of their own so I should be the least, no erase that, I should be none of their concerns. I’m fine. Trust me. Besides, my jobs are not that stressful. Thanks for the worry anyways.” This time, Baekhyun gave Tao a smile to convince him on his point.

“I hope so Baek. I’m your friend and I love you. You know that. It hurts me to know that you’re giving yourself a hard time when you always have a way out.”

“I know Tao. And I love you too. But you worry too much like a mama panda.” The younger tried to lighten the atmosphere. “I’m a big boy know. What you should worry is that I’ll be late to my class already if you don’t start preparing my order right now.”

Tao, knowing that his friend's be late if he continues to press the matter, gently messes Baekhyun's hair before going to the side to prepare the latter's order. That gave Baekhyun some time to observe the place behind him. Tao’s grandfather owns the coffee shop. Although it’s not like the other flashy and expensive-looking coffee shops, it gives you a homey feeling plus a great-tasting coffee.

Less than 2 minutes and Tao handed over the warm cup of espresso neatly placed inside the paper bag.

“Here’s your order Baek. I hope that person receiving this will eventually be the one to give every ounce of love you need. I hope he sees that behind this warm cup of espresso, is a warm heart of a beautiful and amazing person.”

“Thanks Tao-shi. You always know how to make me feel good. I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow morning. Bye!”

#

__________________________________________________
A/N. Thanks for those who subscribed and for Lovely-Little-Red for the 1st comment. First chapter is up. I'll update as soon as I can. Hope you like how the story goes. Please subscribe and upvote! Love you all! (^_^)