The third summer

Love Again

The third summer that Kyungsoo worked at the jewelry store was oddly reminiscent of the first. The heat was growing more intense as the day went on and Kyungsoo tried not to count the minutes until he could leave. He took a sip from his water bottle and sighed.

The door jingled and Kyungsoo looked up in surprise. He really hadn’t expected anyone to come in today as it was, and it was midday, the time that was usually the slowest.

A broad-shouldered figure stood still by the doorway for a moment before taking one tentative step forward and then stopping again.

Kyungsoo felt an invisible hand grasp at his heart. “Jongin?”

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if it was really him or if the heat was making him hallucinate. He took another swig of water and closed his eyes as he swallowed.

When he opened his eyes again, Jongin was still standing there, looking even a little more uncomfortable, if it was possible.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo said again.

“You remember my name at least, that’s a good sign,” Jongin replied, chuckling. His hair was a bit longer than Kyungsoo remembered; it nearly reached his eyelashes now and he had to keep tossing his head and flicking his bangs to the side.

Kyungsoo finally worked through his shock enough to choke out, “Come...come in.”

Jongin took a few more cautious steps inside, smiling in that way of his that still created flurries of warmth in Kyungsoo’s chest. “Still no air conditioning?”

Kyungsoo stood up and shook his head. “Unfortunately.”

“I...wasn’t sure if you’d still be working here. It’s been a while,” Jongin said as he finally traversed the rest of the distance up to the counter.

Kyungsoo nodded like he was in a trance. Jongin was talking like it had been two months, not two years. “It has.” He could hardly even believe that he was here in front of him, but nothing in Jongin’s tone would ever have suggested they’d parted in tears two summers ago and not spoken since. A silence passed between them before Kyungsoo said politely, “It’s good to see you. How was it, going to school in the States?”

“It was incredible,” Jongin said. “I really learned a lot.”

“Oh, well, that’s...that’s amazing.” Kyungsoo smiled. It really was nice to see Jongin again, even if they’d potentially been reduced to polite old friends who had little in common anymore.

“Yeah, it was great,” said Jongin. “But...I’m actually transferring back here.”

Kyungsoo stared. “Wait, really?”

Jongin smiled brilliantly at him again. “Yes. I’m back. I’m back for good. I came here directly from the airport because I couldn’t wait to tell you.”

Kyungsoo struggled to string his words together. “But...what about school?”

“I had a great experience, but I want to finish my degree closer to home. It just feels right.” Jongin nodded as he finished the sentence.

“Wow, Jongin, that’s…I’m really glad you’re here,” Kyungsoo managed.

“Me too… Isn’t it funny, that you spent so much time with me in the convenience store, but this is the first time I’ve ever even been in here?”

Kyungsoo hummed in agreement.

Jongin seemed to turn more serious as he continued, “There’s actually one other reason I came by today…I’m looking for a ring.”

“Oh, um…” Kyungsoo paused for a moment in surprise but the salesman in his brain seemed to switch on as he replied, “Certainly.” He paused again as the implications of his words set in. “For yourself, or for someone else?”

Jongin hesitated for just a second himself before he said, “It’s not for me.”

Kyungsoo swallowed around the lump that had formed in his throat. He had no logical reason to be upset about this. Of course Jongin would have found someone he loved, possibly someone he was marrying. It had been long enough.

He had encouraged Jongin to go, after all. He’d told himself it was what was best for Jongin. He’d told himself this is what he’d wanted.

He fought to keep his face emotionless, channeling his most professional demeanor as he asked, “Anything...anything particular you had in mind? A price range?”

A smile pulled at the edges of Jongin’s lips for a moment before he spoke again. “Show me one that you like. Cost is no object.”

Kyungsoo said nothing, rubbing his lips together in thought. Finally, he walked around the counter and Jongin followed as he approached a glass case near a corner of the store. Kyungsoo pointed to a simple white gold ring with only a tiny cluster of stones in the center. It wasn’t part of any especially notable or expensive collection, but Kyungsoo had always found it particularly beautiful. It was one of the only pieces he himself would be willing to wear. “Well...this has always been one of my favorites.”

“It’s perfect. I’ll take it,” Jongin said and Kyungsoo darted behind the counter again, grabbing the key to unlock the case and packaging the ring for him. He kept fighting to keep his expression blank and tried to disguise how his hands were shaking as he boxed the ring.

Jongin paid and Kyungsoo slid the box toward him across the counter.

“Kyungsoo. We haven’t seen each other for two years,” Jongin said, stating the obvious. “I acknowledge that I haven’t been part of your life that whole time, and I wasn’t part of it for very long to begin with. I have no idea what your life is like now, and I basically lied just now when I said I came directly from the airport because really, I waited outside in my car for almost an hour, afraid to come in here and find out that you weren’t here, or that you didn’t want to see me again. I acknowledge all of that. But...I want my future to be here. With you. If you still want it too, that is.”

Kyungsoo felt a hand on his own and he looked down to see Jongin gently sliding the ring onto his finger. He hadn’t even noticed him open the box.

He stared down at his hand, completely speechless. The cold metal quickly warmed on his heated skin and he couldn’t even take enough of a breath to form a response if he had one.

“I mean it, Kyungsoo,” Jongin continued on. “We still don’t know what we could be. And I still want to find out.”

Jongin took Kyungsoo’s hand again as their eyes met. Kyungsoo looked into them and saw the last two years. It seemed like Jongin was the only one left who didn’t know Kyungsoo had never stopped missing him.

“I still want to, too,” Kyungsoo promised, leaning over the counter to connect their lips. He closed his eyes and, except for the lack of air conditioning, it felt like it could be two summers ago and they were behind the counter of the convenience store again. “So let’s find out.”