The second summer

Love Again

The second summer that Kyungsoo worked at the jewelry store was cold and rainy. He watched the fat drops as they splashed against the windows and would tug his thin jacket a little tighter around himself as he worked, cold fingers deftly polishing silver and gold pieces.

Even fewer customers bothered to come out when it rained, and once the store and its jewelry was as clean as Kyungsoo could make it, he’d sit down and read digital novels on his phone, only taking a hand out of the warmth of his pocket when he needed to tap the screen to turn the page.

On days like this, he almost missed the unrelenting heat from the year before. Or maybe he just missed having something to look forward to, like when he could go across the street and be greeted by air conditioning and a certain cashier.

There was a clap of thunder and Kyungsoo almost didn’t hear the jingling of the door as it opened.

“Hey, Kyungsoo.”

He looked up from his phone to see the dripping wet form of his older classmate, Luhan, approaching the counter. “Oh, sunbae! Hi. What are you doing here?”

Luhan was his best friend from their university, even though they only occasionally saw each other outside of class. He hadn’t seen him at all since term ended in May.

Kyungsoo watched the water drip off Luhan’s hair in rivulets. “Where’s your umbrella? I thought you never leave home without it.”

Luhan broke into a smile. “I let Joonmyun borrow it.”

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure why it surprised him that Luhan and Joonmyun were dating, but it did. It surprised him even more that they were still together, almost a year after Luhan had first mentioned it. He was constantly amazed by other people’s relationships and how much it seemed like they belonged in a book or a movie, not real life.

“He’s also the reason I’m here, actually,” Luhan continued when Kyungsoo hadn’t said anything in response. He seemed a little nervous, fidgeting with his hands in front of his body. “I want to buy him something...maybe like...a ring. Not like...you know...an engagement ring, just...I want to show him that I’m serious about him.”

“Of course,” Kyungsoo said, smiling. “I think that’s nice.”

“Really? You do?” Luhan’s eyes widened hopefully. It looked hilariously adorable on his youthful face. “You don’t think it’s too...I don’t know...too...anything?”

Kyungsoo laughed and shook his head. “Not at all.”

“You wouldn’t tell me if you did, though. It’s your job to sell stuff.”

“Good to know you have such faith in my integrity as a friend.” Kyungsoo gave a short sigh and walked over to one of the mid-priced displays. “Here are some rings you might want to take a look at.”

“Thanks.”

Kyungsoo started to walk back over to the register while Luhan browsed, but he’d barely taken two steps when Luhan called him back over. “This one is perfect.”

Kyungsoo unlocked the case and took out the ring Luhan had picked. It was plain, with two bands, one silver and one gold, that crossed over each other. It was perfect for Joonmyun, who always looked crisp and valued simplicity. “I think he’ll love it.”

He packaged the ring and bid him good day, and when he left, the store seemed even colder and lonelier without Luhan’s aura of giddy happiness. Kyungsoo looked at the now empty space in the display and wondered if he’d ever feel that way about someone.

 

A few days later, Kyungsoo met up with Luhan’s other half who was now sporting the new silver and gold ring. Joonmyun had quit his job at the jewelry store just a few weeks ago, leaving Kyungsoo essentially in charge, because he’d found other work elsewhere. Interestingly, since they’d ceased to be coworkers, they’d actually started spending more time together than they ever had.

Their friendship reminded Kyungsoo of those he heard about between roommates who hated each other only until they no longer lived together. Once you got past the excessive politeness, Joonmyun was pretty okay. Likeable, even.

“Have you heard from Jongin?” was the first thing Joonmyun asked after ‘how are you.’ Kyungsoo’s heartbeat spiked hearing his name. He didn’t think he’d heard anyone say it out loud since he’d left almost a year ago.

“No.” Kyungsoo glanced at him from across their little table in the cafe before looking back down at his spoonful of frozen yogurt. “Why do you ask?”

“Curiosity,” Joonmyun replied before his own spoon. “I wasn’t sure if he would come home for the summer or not.”

“Oh...I’m not sure, either. We actually haven’t spoken since he left,” Kyungsoo admitted. He stirred the remaining bit of frozen yogurt around in his bowl; it was starting to melt.

“Oh, wow. I didn’t know that. I thought you’d keep in touch.”

“Things happen that way sometimes, I guess.” Kyungsoo gave a cheerless smile. “How’s Luhan?” he asked, trying to change the subject. He didn’t think Joonmyun knew what he and Jongin had been to each other. Now didn’t seem like a great time to explain, either, especially since Kyungsoo wasn’t even sure what he would have called their relationship.

“I just hate to see you like this,” Joonmyun was saying, apparently not having heard the question.

“Like what?”

“You look so sad all the time,” Joonmyun explained, his tone heavy with concern.

Kyungsoo stopped playing with the spoon in his bowl. It couldn’t be that obvious that he still thought about Jongin every day, right? He dismissed the older’s words. “I’m not. It’s just...this weather...it’s...gloomy.” He gestured toward the window, where the rain was still coming down relentlessly.

“I don’t mean just this summer,” Joonmyun said. “It started back when he left.”

He was so observant, Kyungsoo thought. Someone give this boy a detective license.

“You miss him.” Joonmyun the sugar from his lips.

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo finally agreed. “I do.” He glanced out the window again, remembering how beautiful the weather had been that night Jongin had shown him the piano and kissed him the first time, and he suddenly sat up ramrod straight. “Hyung, I have to go, but here, froyo is on me ok?” Kyungsoo dug a few bills out of his wallet and practically shoved them at Joonmyun, even though he normally jumped at the chance to buy food for Kyungsoo.

“But--hold on--”

“I’ll see you later!”

He stood up, hurriedly unfolding his umbrella as he headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Joonmyun called after him. “Kyungsoo??”

He realized once he got in his car that he wasn’t entirely confident that he remembered exactly where the piano was, but he felt like trying. He retraced the roads Jongin had taken him on last year, and things started to look familiar. Pulling the car over, he gazed out at the grass, blowing with the wind, and he could make out the shape of the piano a little ways away.

He stepped out of the car and opened his umbrella, making his way up the hill.

Kyungsoo was sort of amazed that it was still here, that it hadn’t been stolen or anything. He supposed he’d never had much trust in others.

The lid was down over the keys, maybe offering some protection from the rain. Kyungsoo lifted it and put it back slowly, revealing the keyboard and he watched the drops splash against it. Then he caught sight of a folded piece of paper wedged in between two keys and Kyungsoo snatched at it, holding it underneath his umbrella so it wouldn’t get any wetter.

For Kyungsoo, it said. His eyes widened and his heartbeat quickened. His hands started to tremble as he unfolded the paper and read the words blurred a little by the rain.

I asked my sister to leave this by the piano. I wasn’t able to spend this summer at home because I have a job here. And no, not at a convenience store, in case you were wondering. At a marketing firm! I like it here, but I wish I could see you.

If you’re here reading this, I hope it means that you still think about me. Just so you know, I still think about you.

Jongin

Kyungsoo sat down on the piano bench, not caring that it was soaked. He clutched the letter tightly in his hand and his eyes brimmed with tears.