Entry 1 - Perks of being a Cain

Between Two Worlds

 

“Congratulations, you have passed the job interview.” The doctor says.

“What?” I raised my eyebrows and questioned.

“Your set of genes are so near to perfection that it intrigues me.” He said, scrutinizing the test tube that contained a miniscule amount of my valued blood.

“How so?” I asked, not out of curiosity but out of rebellion just to test the doctor.

“From scientific test results, no one has ever gotten a perfect human genome but-“

“Isn’t that great?” I interrupted before gathering my belongings and stalked out of the room.

 

The heel of my shoe clicked in a uniform manner every time it came into contact with the cold, hard marble floor that was free from any form of debris or dust. I let out a scoff. At least, the Jacs were able to hold onto the last bit of their pride. I couldn’t help but think back to what the doctor had said.

 

A perfect human genome.

 

I was curious about that, for a matter of the fact. Did that mean I was basically immortal. I stopped upon seeing my reflection on the window pane that had the sun shining through it, casting a temporary pattern on my body.

 

A perfect sharp nose, big brown orbs, defined cheek bones along with a nice set of teeth that shone with white.

 

Did all this account to my perfect human genome?

 

“Miss!” I turned as I spotted Beatrice running towards me.

“What?” I coldly muttered, annoyed with the unprofessionalism she had.

Where had her dignity gone to?

“Mrs Min wants you to try out your new work attire.”

“How does she even know that I got the job? I am not going.” I scowled as I pushed my Louis to her.

“She’s going to get angry.” She whimpered as she pleadingly grabbed onto my arm. “She’s going to kill me.”

“Not if I kill her first.” I replied.

Beatrice stood dejectedly , her head hung low at my reply as she gave a little sigh.

“Come on! What are you waiting for?”

“Miss, what am I going to tell your mother?” She walked slowly towards me before handing me her Bluetooth device that had a blue light flickering.

 

My mother must be calling her.

 

Noticing that a trash can was conveniently beside me, I dropped the device in there and grinned in satisfaction upon hearing it hit the metal can.

“You don’t have to tell her anything.” I clasped my hands together. “You can go home. I will be going off and please don’t bother to stick your hands into the trash can. It’s disgusting.”

 

 

“Matt, when will you actually consider having a valet robot?” I shook my head as I settled on a bar stool.

“I still have to keep my shop vintage and having a valet robot will definitely not help.” He rolled his eyes.

I watched as he thoroughly wiped his wine glass before angling the glass away from him to scrutinize its cleanliness. When he wasn’t satisfied, he would frown and wipe the glass again before putting the glass back onto the shelf.

“So, why are you here?” Matt asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“I passed my job interview.” I flatly said, though I didn’t actually care about it.

“Liar.”

“Yeah. Could I have a juice?” I admitted.

For someone who hardly ever cared about my family, a job was behind all my problems.

“You are pathetic.” Matt sighed. “Wait for a while.”

 

It was strange someone like me would come to an over 18 bar just to get a glass of juice when there was an array of alcohol ranging from the weak wines to strong vodkas that tempted me. Then again, just like Matt, I was here for rebellion, not out of foolishness. Rebellion, because my mother would make a huge fuss if she found that I was here and since I had my image to upkeep, I abstained from alcohol. However, Matt was wilder than me. He was a bartender then couldn’t even hold himself from the amount of liquor he took every alternate night. He was a Cain too, in fact, a Cain of almost the same level as I was.

 

 

“I can never understand you, you know. I have known you since high school but I feel like we are barely acquaintances.” Matt remarked as he handed me the juice.

“Close acquaintances. I still have yet to make use of you.”

“Tell me about it.” Matt came closer to me, his breath smelling of tar from smoking but I liked it.

It smelt carefree.

“We are both in the same boat. Let’s run away.” I gave a little snicker.

“And never come back?”

“And never come back.” I agreed.

“But where to?”

“We take our chances. We see something, we go for it.”

“What do I get in return?”

“Freedom.” I replied then emphasized,” Freedom.”

“I am in.” Matt grinned. “And I will get this place a valet robot.”

“Good. Tomorrow, at the Quarry along Avenue eight. If you don’t appear, it’s cowardice.” I taunted.

“And what if you back out?” Matt chuckled.

“I won’t. I am a Cain and I stick firm to my belief.” I patted his shoulder and pushed him away from me since we were so close to each other.

“You mean, you stick firm to your pride.”

“Both’s the same.” I shrugged before hopping off the bar stool.

“I will start by throwing away my car key.” I smiled.

 

I opened the door and after looking at my car key for a few seconds, I flung it across the road. The key bounced along the pavement before it made its way to the gutters.

I felt a swell of excitement within me, so great that I could feel heat rushing up to my cheeks. The thought of running away from home was so tantalizing and just by the thought that Matt and I would be trekking the jungles where the Cains never mingled in.

 

We would be going against ourselves.

We would be going against our faction.

And we would be going against history.

 

“I promise I won’t back out.” I called over my shoulder before slamming the door shut behind me.

And I swore I could see Matt grinning behind me.