VIII

Private Parts

so let's talk about something cool: I used the story The Fault in Our Stars in this chapter AND I'VE NEVER EVEN READ IT BEFORE AND IT JUST FLOWED SO WELL WITH THE STORY IM SO PROUD OF MYSELF XD
anyways, comment and subscribe! i literally smile every time i get a comment and i just love interacting with you guys it's so fun omg ilysm i hope you guys enjoy xx

oh, and another thing, i don't know if i'm doing my roman numerals correctly so bear with me if they're wrong i'm just too lazy to look them up so :D
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

            I walk into the dining area, seeing Lulu setting the table. “Lu,” I say with a raise eyebrow. “Why isn’t my food already on the table?” I look at the time. 9:00 AM, on the dot. I wasn’t early at all. My breakfast should be on the table.
            “Mrs. Sinclair had a little trouble this morning.” she replies. She sends out a little smile. “It has been a while.”
            I watch Lulu walk out of the dining room without another word, only to see my father coming in with plates in his hands. “Good morning, sunshine.” he smiles, setting the plates on the table.
            “Morning…” I say cautiously. First, they’re home for the night. Second, they’re home for breakfast. This is all just very unusual.
            Lulu and my mother follow out with a few more plates in their hands. The glorious aroma makes my stomach growl. “Morning,” my mother smiles, setting the plates down. “Decided to make breakfast for your big day.”
            I give out a little smile. Lulu passes out the linen napkins as we all take our seats. “If you need anything, just call my name.” Lulu says. I watch her as she makes her way toward the door.
            “Lulu,” my mother calls. Lulu stops and turns around. My mother gives her a smile. “Come eat with us.”
            Lulu gives out a warm smile, but shakes her head. “No, I cannot. It is a family moment.”
            I roll my eyes. “Lu,” I say. “You’ve helped with taking care of me ever since I was five; you’re practically family. Now sit next to me and join us.”

 

            Leetuk walked out first, beginning the entire fashion show. He strutted down in his fitted clothing. I really liked his design. It was a very-classy-prom attire. The next person went out after he made his halfway mark on the way back, and the pattern continued. Thankfully everyone was doing better than they were during this morning’s practice. God, that was hectic.
            I peeked through the curtain to see my mother, my father, and Lulu sitting in the front row. My father had his camera, taking pictures of everyone on the runway. I roll my eyes playfully. Of course he’d bring his camera. My eyes scan deep into the crowd. I stop at a familiar person sitting in the very middle of the crowd—sunglasses and all things that made him almost become one with the darkness. God bless my 20/20 vision.
            Suddenly, my stomach starts to churn. He made it—Kwon Jiyong is actually here. I mean, getting a “K.” isn’t the same as a “Sure, I’ll come watch the show.” So it’s kind of surprising that he’s here. But wait… who are those other guys in sunglasses? Is that the rest of BIGBANG?!
            Soon enough, it’s my turn. Once I walk out, the crowd gets louder. I give off a little laugh and continue to make my way down the runway. I don’t think I was supposed to laugh. I pose at the very end of the catwalk, seeing my parents (and Lulu) stand up and clap—except for my father. He was taking pictures. My eyes scan around the crowd. Jiyong’s face catches my eyes. He gives off a smile, causing a smile to grow on my face. I don’t think I’m supposed to smile.
           

            Once the show is over, I change into my normal clothes and walk out into the crowd. “Good job, Aubrey!” “I loved your dress!” “You modeled it perfectly!”
            My eyes scan the crowd for someone specific. I see a black hat with gold studs. That has to be him. I make my way over, pushing through the crowd. Suddenly, my heart stops once I get close enough. There’s no ing way he’s talking to Linda Park. My blood starts to boil. I roll my eyes and shake my head, turning back around.
            “Aubrey!” a familiar voice calls. I turn to where the voice came from, only to see my father waving his hand in the air. I give him a little smile and make my way toward him. My mother and Lulu stood beside him. I give them all hugs as I reach them.
            “Your dress was gorgeous, honey!” my mom smiles, giving me another hug. “I’m going to have to steal it and put it in one of my upcoming collections.”
            “I like this one better than the leather material!” Lulu smiles. “You really shined in the light. It was beautiful!”
            “You looked spectacular tonight,” my father smiles. “I got some really good shots of you. I’ll have to show you at home.”
            “When do you never get good shots?” I tease. He laughs and pulls me in for another hug.
            “Do you want to go out to eat tonight?” my mother asks. “We can go celebrate.”
            I bite the inside of my cheek. I shake my head lightly. “I’m not really in the mood to celebrate.” I say. “Just a bit tired from today. I think I’ll head to the library for a little bit, and then head home.” They all nod understandingly. I give them all hugs and thank them for coming before heading off.

 

            “Will you be staying here after closing?” the ahjumma asks me. I look at the time. It was fifteen minutes before closing, and this book is really good (now I understand the American hype of this book, The Fault in Our Stars). I give her a nod.
            “I’m sorry, but I think I will.” I give off a little chuckle.
            “It’s okay,” she smiles. “I’ve read that book before, and it’s wonderful. I wouldn’t have put it down for a minute, either.”
            She gives me another warm smile before leaving me alone on the couch. I continue to read. If it’s the one thing I absolutely hate about books, it’s that authors make characters so irresistible that I literally want to morph people into these characters and fall in love with them. God, Augustus Waters; you need to be mine.
            Suddenly, a voice breaks my line of reading. “I need to return this book.” the familiar voice says. I can hear the ahjumma laugh after a moment.
            “It’s saying this book was never checked out.” the ahjumma says. “But I remember you from that night—actually, I remember you from the billboards, television, and everywhere else.” she chuckles. “Thank you for bringing this back.”
            “No problem,” I can hear the familiar voice chuckle. “Is it fine if I stay and look for another book?”
            “Go right on ahead.” she says. I shake my head and roll my eyes. I go back to reading my book. It really can’t be him, can it?
            “Hello,” the same familiar voice from earlier says. Jiyong makes his way toward me, taking a seat on the arm rest of the couch. “What are you reading?”
            I roll my eyes, taking a deep breath. “A really really really amazing book and I would appreciate it if you could just… not.”
            “What’s it about?” he asks.
            “Nothing,” I say.
            “Well, that doesn’t sound like an amazing book to me.” he shrugs. “By the way, the fashion show was fun. Your dress took a completely different route, material-wise. Multicolored sequins, who would’ve thought? You looked really good in it, too.”
            “Excuse me,” I scoff, ignoring his compliments. I sit up from the arm rest and look at him in shock. “This book is completely amazing in every sort of way possible so don’t you dare say it doesn’t sound amazing.”
            He slides into the empty space in between the arm rest and my body, taking the book from my hands. He keeps his finger on the page I left off on and looked for the summary. His eyes were intent on the book as his eyes moved approximately three centimeters before returning back to position one.
            I could hear my heart beat in my ears—bump, bum… bump, bum… bump, bum.
            He breaks his eyes away from the book and I break mine away from his face. “It sounds interesting,” he says, nodding in approval. He hands me the book back, opening it up to the page he left his finger on. “Let’s start back from the beginning and read it together.”
            “That’s funny.” I roll my eyes. “I’m already halfway through with the book and I’m not going back for you.”
            He sighs. “Fine.”
            He gets up and walks away, returning back a few minutes later with The Fault in Our Stars in his hand. “Give me a synopsis of what you’ve read so far and we can read it aloud together.”
            “No.” I say sternly. “Why are you even here? How did you even find me?”
            “Well, I figured we could hang out after to celebrate with the boys and a few other people. The boys left the place before we would get caught by fan girls and I told them I’d stay behind to grab you, but I couldn’t find you.” he explains. I roll my eyes. You weren’t looking for me. You were too busy chatting it up with Satan’s mistress. On another note, I knew that was BIGBANG! “Then I bumped into your parents and Lulu and they told me where you were, so I figured I should go back to my place, grab the book that I finished—which was really good by the way—and return it while I come get you.”
            “I’m about to close,” the ahjumma says as she makes her way toward us. “Will you be staying here with her?”
            “N—“
            “Yes,” he smiles at her. She smiles at him back and nods once.
            “Okay.” she says. She looks at me. “You know what to do.”
            She makes her way out, leaving the both of us alone. I clear my throat, going back to our conversation from before. “Well, I’m not going so you can just leave.” I say. He walks over and sits on the couch across from me.
            “I’m too lazy to drive.” he sighs, opening the book.
            “There are cabs that run at this time.”
            “I’m scared they’re going to kill me.”
            “I have pepper spray in my purse.”
            “I don’t have any money.”
            “Bull. .” I glare at him. He gives off a little laugh and sinks back into the couch.
            “Come on, chop chop, give me a synopsis of what you’ve read so far.” he says.
            “First of all, I’m not your slave.” I scoff. “And second of all, no.” Suddenly, a phone starts ringing. Jiyong pulls his phone out. It continues to ring. I give him an are-you-stupid look. “Are you going to answer that or…?”
            “It’s Seungri.” he says. The phone finally stops ringing. “Probably going to ask where I am. I don’t want to press decline because he’ll know I declined his call.”
             “Maybe that’s a sign, you know, that they want you there. Therefore, you should leave.” I say. He places his phone on the table, right beside mine, giving off a little chuckle.
            “I didn’t know we had the same phone.” he says. I give off a little bitter laugh. He really knows how to change the subject. He sinks back into the couch cushions and opens the book up again. “Okay. Please give me a synopsis of what you’ve read so far.”
            I stare at him blankly. I sit up and take a deep breath, exhaling out all of my bad vibes. “Fine, but only because I know you won’t leave me in peace until I do so.” I finally agree. I clear my throat. “So there’s this girl named Hazel Grace who is living with cancer. Anyways, she ends up meeting this really hot guy named Augustus Waters—“
            “How do you know he’s hot?” Jiyong asks. I furrow my brows at him.
            “Because his personality is perfect in every way possible, do you want a synopsis or not?” I scoff. He gives off a little laugh and nods his head.

            “… and now I’m on page 152 where she’s reading to him.” I conclude, my heart already heavy with emotion.
            “Let’s read to each other.” Jiyong smiles. “I’ll be Augustus Waters and you’ll be Hazel Grace.”
            “That’s actually really stupid, so let’s not.” I say.
            “Come on, it’ll be fun. Let’s just try it.” he says. I roll my eyes and sigh.
            “Fine.” I clear my throat. ““‘Let us go then, you and I,’ I started nervously, “‘When the evening is spread out against the sky / Like a patient etherized upon a

table.’””
            “““Slower,” he said.”” Jiyong reads.
            ““I felt bashful, like I had when I’d first told him of An Imperial Affliction. “Um, okay. Okay. ‘Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets, / The muttering retreats / Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels / And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells: / Streets that follow like a tedious argument / Of insidious intent / To lead you to an overwhelming question . . . / Oh, do not ask, “What is it?” / Let us go and make our visit.’”” I continue to read.
            “““I’m in love with you,” he said quietly.”” Jiyong reads. I look up at him. My head starts to hurt. Jiyong looks up at me, and I immediately move my eyes back to my book.
            “““Augustus,” I said.”” I continue.
            ““I am,” he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.””
            My heart starts to hurt. I bite the inside of my cheek and look up at Jiyong, only to see a glimpse of him looking right at me. He turns his head to the side without a word.
            “Page 154,” I say after I clear my throat, skipping the last paragraph I was supposed to read.


            My heart pounds against my chest. Augustus. It can’t be… no… no! My eyes shoot open and I sit up quickly, my hand on my chest. Dear God. I entered the dream world in tears and left with a heart attack.
            I look around at my surroundings. The sun crept through the window and sent light into the room full of books—and I could see my jacket on the floor (I’m not entirely sure how that happened). I look at Jiyong who was still deep in slumber. My heart starts to slow down.
            I fell asleep on his chest last night. After we finished the book, I was an emotional wreck. I couldn’t help but let a few tears out, but those tears turned into waterfalls, and those waterfalls turned into oceans. Jiyong laughed, but came over and comforted me. We laid here on the couch, my face on his chest as I bawled my eyes out. He ran his fingers over my bare shoulders and would chuckle here and there, but he didn’t seem to mind. Not that I really cared. I was an unstable piece of pain.
            God, that’s so embarrassing. I reach over and grab my phone to check the time. 7:33 AM. But this isn’t my phone.
            My entire body fills with venom once I see who Jiyong got a message from (aisde from the boys)—actually, let me correct myself, two messages and a phone call from: Park Linda.
            I roll my eyes and set his phone down on the table, grabbing mine. I get up and pick up my jacket, walking over to where I set my purse down last night. Suddenly, I hear Jiyong move on the couch. “Morning crybaby,” Jiyong chuckles once he sits up. I roll my eyes and grab my purse.
            “Morning,” I say, heading toward the door. “By the way, you have a few text messages and a few missed calls.”

 

            I enter my house, seeing my mother dressed up in her business attire. “You’re final— Aubrey, what happened?!”
            I fall onto my knees, prisoners escaping my eyes. My mother comes over to me and sits down beside me on the floor. “Aubrey, calm down…” my mother comforts. “Come on, tell me what happened.”
            “Miss Aubrey…” I can hear Lulu gasp, only making me cry harder. My entire body feels empty, but pained. I can feel another pair of hands wrap around me. “Miss Aubrey…”
            “I-I ju-ust don’t u-understa-and.” I say in between sobs.
            “Tell me what happened, honey.” my mother says softly, rubbing her hand up and down my back.
            “Kwon Jiyong happened.” I let out without a stutter. His name hurts my heart even more. “He likes me one minute and then tells me that we should just be friends the next and then I swear we had a moment last night—a moment I’ve never had with anybody else in my entire life and then he gets a text from another girl and it makes me feel so weak and unimportant.”
            “Miss Aubrey…” Lulu can only manage to say.
            “I just don’t understand how someone can feel so empty but still manage to hurt so much.”