Four

Call Me Oppa

Seohyun was startled for a while before she finally bowed with an awkward grin on her face. She didn’t expect to meet her most attractive sunbaenim, Cho Kyuhyun, in the bookstore. He, at the same time, might be surprised just like her but as usual, he didn’t show it to the world.  He nodded his head to greet her.

Well, he might look calm at the outside, but inside, his heart has already beated fastly as he kept staring at Seohyun. Actually, he was about to go from this book store after choosing a math book. Then his eyes caught a scene of a beautiful girl who was looking at the cooking book section. His mind soon flew back to his conversation with Changmin and Victoria a few days ago, where he finally admitted that he had to move on from Victoria.

These days, Kyuhyun had been wandering the same question in his head. Is Seohyun the right girl for him? When he finally gathered his mind back, he found that Seohyun had stood in front of him with that pleasant smile on her face. She bowed politely to him.

“Annyeong haseyo Kyuhyun sunbae,” she said, with a sincere smile on her face.

“Annyeong haseyo,” Kyuhyun answered with his usual low and deep voice, which most girl found it attractive.

“It’s really a coincidence that we met here. What are you doing here sunbae?”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow and stared at Seohyun playfully. Seohyun patted her forehead and giggled at her stupid question.

“Pabo Seohyun. You must bought a book here. Let me change the question. Err.., what book did you buy sunbae? That seemed better.”

Kyuhyun smiled at Seohyun’s self-talk that she just did. She might be shy and quiet when you first met her. After some time, she’ll start to talk a lot. She isn’t the type of a lousy and noisy girl like Victoria. But yes, she has many things to talk about. Kyuhyun showed her the book that he brought.

“Math? Woa sunbae I’d never thought you like this kind of book. You seemed….”

Seohyun grinned shyly. She almost told him about her first impression to him. The witty Kyuhyun had caught that sign. He moved his head closer to her. Her eyes widened in shock as she stared at those deep black eyes.

“What did you think about me?” he whispered.

Seohyun was startled. 16 years living as a straight and upright girl, she’d never been this close to a man. Moreover, she had known that he came from a rich family in Busan. How could a low class girl like her getting too close to him? Unfortunately, he lowered his head until she stared straightly to his intimidating eyes which didn’t give any chance for her to move her stare.

“Why are you afraid? Just tell me, I won’t bite you.”

Those words just made Seohyun shuted even more. She didn’t say any words, even bitting her lips back. Kyuhyun laughed to see her reaction. Unfortunately, his laugh and smile, had made Seohyun mesmerized for a second. Deep in her heart, she could say that he is charming when he is smiling and laughing. But of course she had to deny it.

“I think we’ll need a big cup of ice cream to make you speak.”

Kyuhyun could see a sparks in her eyes when he said that.

“Ice cream?”

“Would you?”

Seohyun curved her lips as if thinking about it seriously. With Kyuhyun stared at her with his playful gaze, she can’t help but nodded.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“So tell me now. What do you think about me?”

Seohyun turned her head to him and soon her face turned into a crimson red colour, feeling a little bit embarassed. A cup of mocca ice cream already landed peacefully on her hand, Kyuhyun’s treat. Of course he won’t let Seohyun pay it.

They went to the park where Kyuhyun knew the most delicious ice cream in Seoul. It’s not as luxurious as the one in the ice cream store. But Kyuhyun thought that it was the best ice cream in town. Luckily, Seohyun agreed with that.

“Well…..”

“Well?” Kyuhyun asked, since Seohyun didn’t continue her words.

Seohyun grinned awkwardly as if she was caught red-handed doing something bad.

“Ah I know, it must be bad.”

Kyuhyun heaved a deep sigh and leaned in to the bench, pretending to feel sad.

“Ani, ani, it’s not as that bad! It’s silly actually,” said Seohyun as she turned her head to Kyuhyun, worried that he might thought wrongly.

Seohyun pouted, she lowered her head and stared at her feet. Her ice cream’s spoon stayed on as she on it. Embarassed, that’s definetely what she felt now. Seohyun took a glance awkwardly at the-still-pretending-to-be-sad Kyuhyun.

“Don’t laugh at me sunbaenim and don’t be angry.”

When Kyuhyun nodded in agreement, she finally continued it.

“I thought… Um, I thought you were a gangster.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened in shock but he quickly burst in laugh to hear that. Him? A gangster? He had never thought that someone might said that he is a gangster! What an innocent Seohyun!

“Sunbaenim! I told you not to laugh!” said Seohyun as her pout grew longer.

Kyuhyun held his stomach. It felt hurt after his long and happy laugh. He tried to catch his breath. Seohyun could only pouted to see that, her face went on a complete red shade. When Kyuhyun turned his attention towards her again, she can’t describe how she felt really embarassed.

“Wae? Is it because my big motorcycle? But it’s blue. Blue isn’t the colour of gangster.”

Seohyun scratched her neck awkwardly, feeling the air around her heated up as she felt so ashamed with her own words. Kyuhyun waited patiently for her to answer his question, still smiling widely.

“Okay, that’s one of my reason, but most of it was because….,” she stole an uneasy glance to Kyuhyun, “ you looked so mysterious sunbae.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. His smile soon gone. He stared at Seohyun confusedly while the later lowered her head in embarassment. Seohyun sweared that the atmosphere tensed up in a second.

“Wae? Explain it, Seohyun-sshi,” he said, more like demanding.

Seohyun gulped her saliva to hear his tone. Am I being to rude?

“I’m sorry if I insulted you sunbae. I didn’t mean-“

“No, no, you are not. Just… Explain it. I won’t be angry to you,” he cut her words. At any rate, he felt surprised to find himself feeling anxious like this. He is a person who wouldn’t really care about people’s opinion. But now, he felt so damn curious with her opinion.

“Well, you are so mysterious sunbae. It seemed like you were hiding a lot of things behind your cold mask. Seriously, you have what people called a poker face. No one can guess what is going on in your mind since you showed barely no expression at all. But somehow,” she stopped, staring at the people that bypassed them in this beautiful afternoon, “you looked like you have a big pressure in your mind. Something that still haunting you even now.”

Seohyun looked up to Kyuhyun who was knitting his eyebrow together, staring blankly to her. She caught a sign that Kyuhyun was thinking about his own problem. She hurriedly looked down in embarassment.

“I’m sorry if I was being rude sunbaenim.”

Kyuhyun shuted his eyes as his mind flew away to the girl that still haunting his heart. A girl that made him clinging onto an impossible love. Qiannie.

“Sunbae? Are you angry?”

He blinked for a few times before letting himself go back to the reality. He found a pretty and innocent girl is staring at him uneasily and somehow afraid that he might be angry. Kyuhyun shook his head and let out a smile, a bitter smile.

“No, I’m not angry with you. You… you were right anyway....”

“I’m sorry sunbae.”

“Don’t. You don’t have to say sorry. I wonder….,” he smiled, more sincere than before, “How could you know that? How could you read my mind? No one- well only a few people can do that. And you just knew me for barely 3 weeks.”

Seohyun relaxed a bit as she shook her head.

“I don’t know too. I just guessed. It’s really cool that my guess is right,” she stopped for a second before turned her head to face Kyuhyun with a beautiful smile, “If that so, I’ll learn to read you even more.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, completely doubted this little innocent girl.

“You’ll be surprised sunbae.”

“Try me.”

 

***

 

 

Seohyun wiped the glass carefully, making sure that there’s no dirt left. hummed a song, Falling Slowly. Seohyun liked this song a lot. She may not admit it, but the progress between her and Kyuhyun really affected her to sing a love song like this.

Yoona took a glance to her dongsaeng who did her work beside the cashier. Seohyun smiled dreamily as if imagining something, or specifically someone. Even everyone in the café probably knew about Kyuhyun and Seohyun’s relationship progress. All of the staffs felt surprised to see the other side of Cho Kyuhyun. A man who is always looked mysterious, gloomy, and cold, now changed into a warm and caring person. He also smiled a lot these days. Thanks to a certain country girl who just moved to Seoul for about 2 months.

A customer passed by them with a thankful smile on his face. Yoona and Seohyun quickly stood up and bowed to him.

“Thank you for your coming,” both of them said in harmony.

Seohyun sat down again and continued her job, still with that smile and song. She seemed so happy. Oh no, so in love.

“Yah, Seohyun-ah, when will Kyuhyun oppa confessed to you?”

In a second, Seohyun’s cheek covered with a lovely shade of pink. Her hand stopped wiping the glass as she turned her head to Yoona in embarassment.

“W-what do you mean unnie? I don’t understand,” she stuttered.

Yoona clicked her tongue in annoyance. Her hands swatted this girl’s arm softly.

“Yah, don’t act like you didn’t know it. I knew you know how he felt towards you, Seohyunnie.”

Seohyun’s face turned into a crimson red colour. She curved her lips and continued to wipe the glass.

“He never told me anything that close to that unnie. So I didn’t know,” she finally murmured.

“But you can surely feel it by his action.”

Seohyun thought about it for a second before giving her unnie a shrug. Yoona always persistent in everything she said. She often becomes annoying at times. Seohyun didn’t want anything to influence her on how she felt towards her sunbae. Yes, she could feel the difference on his every action. He is always serious and sincere on her. She really appreciated it and she could feel the feeling that started to grow in her heart. Is it love? Seohyun really wanted to find it out herself.

 

 

*****

 

 

“See that, your prince charming is waiting for you.”

“Unnie…..”

Seohyun quickly blushed as Yoona continued to . Their shift were just ended. As they came out from the staff room, they found Kyuhyun near the cashier. He leaned in to the cashier table, eyes stared blankly at the rooftop, probably daydreaming about something. He still wore his uniform. He probably went out with Changmin and some of his friends, didn’t even mind to go home first.

Kyuhyun and Seohyun didn’t always get the same shift on the café. Yet, Kyuhyun always wholeheartedly picked up Seohyun from the school or the café to her flat. Seohyun felt so ashamed to burden him like this. There were also som rumors spread around about their relationship. Seohyun had tried to refuse his offering to drive her home. But this persistent man didn’t knew the word ‘No’.

“Annyeong haseyo sunbaenim,” she politely greeted him.

His face turned to face her at the sound of her voice. He smiled a little and nodded to both Yoona and Seohyun as a greeting.

“Okay, I won’t disturb both of you. Enjoy your night,” said Yoona with a wink as she lefted the café.

Kyuhyun and Seohyun watched until Yoona disappeared from their sight. Some of the café staffs greeted them when they passed by. Some, like Donghae, teased them when he saw them. Kyuhyun took a glance at Seohyun. The younger one was smiling softly to him.

“Come on. I’ll take you home.”

Kyuhyun walked away from the cashier. Seohyun followed him obediently as it was no us to refuse his will. They bid a goodbye to some of the staff before went straightly to Kyuhyun’s motorcycle. Without much words, they drove to Seohyun’s small flat.

“Sunbaenim,” she called out as she got down from his motorcycle.

He turned his head and looked at her with a questioning look.

“Will you come in for some dinner? I’ll make a delicious food for you,” she said with a blush on her face.

Kyuhyun stared at her for a second. Feeling somehow funny at the girls’ flushed face as she offered some dinner for him, though his face didn’t show it at all. He finally nodded.

“Is there anything you want to eat sunbae?” Seohyun asked as they walked upstairs to her flat.

Kyuhyun thought for a while. Suddenly a chilly wind caressed their skin, making them felt cold in a second.

“Maybe a soup or something hot would be better….”

Luckily there are some ingredients and vegetable to make a hot soup for this chilly night. Minutes later, a hot soup was already served on the table. Seohyun’s flat is really small. It only have a bedroom, a bathroom, a living room, a kitchen, and a small veranda. Kyuhyun had entered this flat for a few times. Sometimes he taught Math to Seohyun and the younger paid it with a simple but delicious dinner.

“It’s delicious,” Kyuhyun complimented.

“Thank you sunbae. There’s only a few ingredients in my flat. I hope you enjoy it.”

“It’s okay. I like it,” said Kyuhyun.

Seohyun knew, as a son of a rich person in Busan, Kyuhyun was used to eat a lot of delicious and expensive food in his every day life. When he lived in Seoul, he was always served with his noona’s delicious cookery which also came from a wealthy family. She felt grateful that he still enjoyed her cookery.

This was also one of the thing that made Seohyun adored her sunbae. He might look cold and arrogant on the outside. As time goes by, you’ll know that he is actually a very humble man. He never felt bothered to get along with Seohyun who practically came from a low class family. He was also glad to help people, from a street vendor to a child. Though his expressionless face usually make them afraid and reluctant to him.

“Let’s start the game,” said Seohyun enthusiastically as she took another spoon of rice.

Kyuhyun shrugged and continued to eat.

They had played this special games every time they were together. Whether they were doing their homework, or finishing their work in the café, or having a small dinner like this, they always played ‘Guessing Kyuhyun’s Mind’.

Seohyun suggested this as she really wanted to prove that she could understand more about this mysterious man. Kyuhyun agreed to it. Seohyun is happy to know more about her sunbae, it made her feel somehow special. Kyuhyun was surprised to find out that he actually felt comfortable around this girl. He didn’t feel much bothered to let her know him.

“Ummmm, mom?” said Seohyun. Sometimes she only said a word and Kyuhyun will gave a response towards the word. If he kept his mouth shut then Seohyun have to guess what’s in his mind.

“Whose mom? Your mom or my mom?” he said as he took a spoonful of the delicious soup.

Seohyun chuckled lightly.

“Of course your mom! How can I ask about my mom when you’ve never met her before.”

Kyuhyun stopped eating and suddenly remembered about his mom. It’s been a long time since he met her. Kyuhyun went back to Mokpo at the last holiday. Their last phone call must be around a week ago.

“You missed her,” Seohyun said.

Kyuhyun stared at her sarcastically.

“That’s a common thing that will happened when you thought abour your mom. Tried to be more specific hoobae.”

Seohyun laughed a little at this man’s cold response. She was used to it and she didn’t feel afraid with it anymore. She even thought that Kyuhyun’s always cold tone is somehow interesting.

“You are going to call her tonight,” she said with a proud tone.

Kyuhyun looked up from his soup and stared at her in surprise. The younger girl was smiling proudly in front of him. Not long after, he shook his head in confusion.

“As usual, your guess is right,” he praised her sincerely.

They continued to play more words. Seohyun said ‘coffee’, ‘beach’, ‘home’, and many more. She tried to read Kyuhyun’s actually so-so expression. She didn’t always get it right and Kyuhyun will smirked arrogantly when she did that.

“Come on hoobae, do I look like the one who love coffee? Too much caffeine! I can’t sleep at night. Insomnia is already killing me without those caffeine,” Kyuhyun said grumpily.

Seohyun giggled happily. She can’t believe that she was afraid to this man before. He is actually a very warm and funny person. Funny, it isn’t like he liked to say funny things or so. But sometimes he acted like a child which was really different with his usual cold self. One thing to proof that is his addiction towards games. He really like, no love, to play games. When he was already drowned in his PSP, even Seohyun couldn’t get his attention.

“Then what kind of drink do you like? Milk? Hot chocolate? You didn’t look like one who like that.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow.

“Still that gangster look alike? Huh? Geez hoobae, we’ve known each other for a few months now. Erase that gangster thing from your mind.”

Seohyun giggled again. Cho Kyuhyun looked so funny (actually cute but Seohyun wouldn’t admit it) when he sputtered like that. It really showed his emotion rather than his usual boring expression.

“Then tell me, what kind of drink do you like?”

Kyuhyun stopped eating. Seohyun could swear she saw a sight of blush on his cheek. But he quickly regain his composure again.

“Tea.”

“Tea?” Seohyun repeated in surprise.

Kyuhyun nodded as he shrugged.

“Tea. It helps me to sleep.”

Seohyun smiled and stared at Kyuhyun teasingly. A man like Kyuhyun likes to drink tea? What will everyone said about that? He is a man that resemble coffee, a strong and black coffee. Yet he likes tea.

“It seemed like your insomnia is quiet awful,” said Seohyun as she collect the plates and went to wash the dishes.

But Kyuhyun can’t let go of his habit to clean the dishes. He quickly took the plates from Seohyun and wash it. Seohyun only smiled, feeling somehow proud to his sunbae that never felt ashamed to do something girly like washing the dishes. She took a seat on the chair behind Kyuhyun.

“You can’t really get over from this habit, huh?” she said.

“Why? You don’t like it, do you?”

“Anieyooo, it’s actually impressive.”

Kyuhyun had already finished with the dishes. He was rinsing his hands as Seohyun kept talking.

“I’ve always dreamed a husband who won’t be ashamed to help me to do my chores. Yeah, something like washing the dishes, sweeping and moping the floor, tidying the house. But it’s so rare to find a guy like that,” she ended with a shook on her head.

Kyuhyun heard her every words. She praised him, there’s no doubt about it. It made Kyuhyun’s heart beat fastly.

“Is that mean that you want me to be your husband?”

Seohyun soon giggled to hear his question.

“I can’t even dream of it. You’re just too far away from me. It feels like we live in a different world. I’ve already happy to be your friend sunbae.”

Seohyun looked up to see that Kyuhyun had already stood proudly in front of her. His eyes gazing right into her eyes, boring deeply into her soul. She could feel that the atmosphere change 180o.

“I’d never think like that Seohyun-ah.”

Seohyun could feel the blood rushing through her cheeks. She didn’t know how red was her cheek now. Just by hearing her calling him by her name could make a great impact like this.

“Yes, I’m sorry to say that. But I know my place sunbae. A lowly girl like me should never felt anything towards you, ah….”

Seohyun quickly closed . Her eyes widened in shock and her cheek went more red. But she managed to lower her head to hide everything from Kyuhyun. Unfortunately the sunbae kneeled in front of her to be on the same eyes level as her. His hand went to her chin and lifted up her head. Seohyun can’t help but stare at the deep black eyes of Kyuhyun. Her heart beated fastly.

“Do you feel something towards me, Seohyun-ah?”

Seohyun bit her lips, trying hard to prevent her from answering his question. She knew really well about the answer. But it will surely ruin their friendship.

“Please say yes Seohyun-ah. Because I also feel something towards you,” Kyuhyun said as his hands gripped her arms.

Her heart melted in a second. She knew him quiet well to know that he is being serious now. Slowly, she nodded her head. But then her expression turned into the sad one and she shook her head.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t do this. I’m sorry sunbae,” she said.

She struggled to let go of Kyuhyun’s grip. Unfortunately, the elder one didn’t budge. He just stared at her firmly. Seohyun sighed in desperation.

“Please don’t do this sunbae. We are going to cross the line.”

All of sudden, Kyuhyun’s lips found its way to Seohyun’s lips. Her eyes widened in shock but soon she closed it. He kissed her softly but Seohyun could feel all the love that he felt for her.

“I’ve already crossed the line,” he said firmly as they stopped.

A tears fell from her eyes unknowingly. She was lost in words. She was too surprised to even say a word. Her mind recall everything that happened in a few minutes before. How their friendship turned into love like this. A hand suddenly lifted up her chin. She could see Kyuhyun’s face in front of her, smiling softly.

“Seohyun-ah, will you call me oppa?”

Seohyun’s memories played a scene that happened last month, where they spend another afternoon in the park. Kyuhyun told them about his family. He told them a lot about it. But there’s something that stuck in her mind now. He adored how his mother called his father ‘oppa’. Seohyun couldn’t calm her hearts as she realized the meaning of this words. She giggled lightly. Her hands went to wipe her tears away. She smiled softly to Kyuhyun.

“Is this how you say ‘I love you’?”

Slowly but sure, a smile appeared on Kyuhyun’s face.

“Glad you know me so well.”

Seohoyun giggled again. This man is really funny and unique. Though her low self-esteem told her not to go on, but her heart told the opposite. She is sure that her heart had won.

“Yes oppa. Kyuhyun oppa.”

All of sudden, Kyuhyun’s whole face turned red. Even his ears and neck turned red. It seemed like the word oppa that he has been waiting for his whole life, really have a serious impact to him. He grinned awkwardly. All of his manly and cool side has gone as Seohyun called him ‘oppa’. The smart Seohyun soon caught that sign.

“Omo! You’re this happy? Omo! Omo!” she said, followed with a laugh.

Kyuhyun can only grinned awkwardly to her. His mind seemed to burn into ashes as the word oppa came. It felt so amazing to get your dream come true. He wanted to look cool in front of her but he just can’t stop his bloodstream.

“Call me again, like that, you know…” he demanded.

Seohyun smiled happily. She stared at him with a lot of cuteness and playfulness.

“Kyuhyun oppaaa~” she said in a sing sang voice.

He just got more red as she did so. That’s why Seohyun couldn’t stop laughing. He didn’t even bothered to stop her laugh. He just felt so happy tonight.

“Seohyun-ah, can I kiss you again?”

Seohyun blinked her eyes for a few times. Her cheek blushed but she nodded. Slowly, his hands cupped her face. His lips closed the gap between them. It was a kiss that they wouldn’t forget for the rest of their life. The second kiss with so much love on it.

 

 

 

***

 

 

While Kyuhyun and Seohyun were celebrating their love, Victoria was just coming home. She opened the door of her house slowly, looking around the house. Her eyes was swollen. Her face looked so pale. Her expression also didn’t gave any nice sign. It seemed like she had been crying for hours.

“Kyuhyun-ah?” she called out in a hoarse voice.

She slowly went upstairs, hoping that Kyuhyun will be in his room. He was always there when she need him. Her tears started to fall down on her beautiful cheek as she thought about her brother. She wanted to burn herself in his broad chest and let out all of her sadness. Unfortunately, Kyuhyun’s room was empty.

Victoria remembered this last few months. Kyuhyun changed a lot. He became more happy, more opened and more cheerful. Victoria was so glad about it. Changmin said that it happened because of a new girl in their school. It seemed like Kyuhyun is in love with her. Victoria was happy about it. She hoped that Kyuhyun will get the girl quickly.

What she didn’t expect from it is that she will lost her Kyuhyun.

“Kyuhyun-ah?” she called him again as she looked around the empty room, hoping that Kyuhyun will come out of nowhere.

But nothing happened. She was alone. Alone in Kyuhyun’s room. Alone in her house.

Her sadness just grew even more. She had been having a really bad day in school. Definitely because of a certain ex-boyfriend. When she hoped for someone to love her in a time like this, she just realized that that certain someone/brother had gone for another woman.

 

 

*************************************

 

 

 

Oh God, I'm so sorry for not updating this story for i-don't-know-how-long but it must be so long......

I was kind of lost the storyline and my mood to write this story. But I hope I can update again faster and finish this story! Please remind me if I didn't update again T,T

I hope you like the update anyway. Lack of Kyutoria? Don't worry, we'll see in the next chapter ^^

Thank you so much for you who still subscribe to this story and for some people who give their comment to remind me to update. Kamsahamnidaaa~