Truth Hurts

My Imaginary Friend

    It was dark and the light of the moon lit up the night asa I swung back and forth on the creaky swing of the abandoned town park just a few blacks away from my house. I tugged my scarf up around my face blocking it from the cold wind as the snow continued to fall gently around me. My phone continued to ring in my pocket, the common and bland ringtone breaking the silence that I escaped my house to enjoy. I sighed lightly and pulled out my phone staring at the screen before denying the call and sliding it back in my pocket. It was my parents calling, again. Perhaps they were finally realizing that I was not around as much as I used to be, but perhaps I just didn't really care. "Lime," a voice that I knew all to well called me from behind before I felt hand grab the chains of the swing. "It's late, let's go home."

    I wrapped my hands tightly around the chain, my grip death defying as I was scared to moved. "No," I mumbled, "I want to stay here and swing." The owner of the voice sighed before I felt the chains being pulled back; before I knew it I was in the air smiling happily as the cool air hit my face. In this park I was free to play, on the swing I was free to think, in the air I was free to smile, and with him I was free to be myself. "Higher!" I shouted and laughed happily as my friend complied to my demands; it has always been that way and I never thought anything of it until my parents made me go to that lady.

    At the ripe old age of four, when i started kindergarden, my parents started to discover that I was 'socially different' compared to the other kids my age. While everyone else was willing to run around, talk, and play with together I found myself happier being alone in the school sandbox. It took only until the second week of school for me to clear any unwanted guests out the area I declared my own and it only took a few phone calls to parents from the school. I still don't see why children complained that I threw them out of my sandbox; it was mine so I had the power to throw them out rightfully so. No one ever dared to approach me when I was playing by myself, because I did play just not with others... that was until he showed up. As I said before, no one ever dared to approach me so when he appeared I just simply thought that he was a figment of my imagination. Why wouldn't he be though; he was perfect. 

    The black haired boy with the funny eyebrows, until I changed them, followed me around everywhere.  My nagging parents always told me to find friends, and by the time I hit middle school the only one I had was still my imaginary. "Good afternoon," he would tell my parents, even though I doubt they heard him, as he followed me home from school and up into my bedroom to do schoolwork. He continued to follow me to school and grew as I did, sometimes he would even help me sneak into school late. Only a true imaginary friend could do that, i would like to see yours try. The best times, however, were the ones we spent at the park together; this park to be exact. Here I could be free and talk to my imaginary as much as I wished without the harsh comments or judging of others. 

    I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I didn't even realize that my swinging came to a stop. The warm hands that were once wrapped around the chains of the swing were now wrapped around mine. The now silent night was once again broken by his voice as he attempted to beg for forgiveness again, my forgiveness. "Are you still angry at me?" He asked. "I seriously thought you knew; I mean it's been like what-"

    "Fourteen years, Siwon." I mumbled as I felt his arms wrap around me. "For fourteen years I thought that you were just a figment of your imagination; please tell me what you find wrong with that." I asked him as he placed his head on my shoulder. "It's just so weird now that I know you are not who you were, you know?"

    He just chuckled, "I have no idea what you just said." Hell, I don't even know what I just said. I had no idea what I was saying at all lately. What is real anymore? "No matter how hard you try, I'm still going to be here." 

    I pushed him away and stood up on the swing, my feet testing the strength of the seat as I began to sway my body back and forth. It was more fun to stand on the swing; it was like a rope swing without the pain of falling off from lack of upper arm strength. "Do you know what kind of things I was forced to go back and think about?" I asked him as he stared at me warningly, probably waiting for me to fall off.  "What about all those times I undressed and changed in front of you? Do you know how disturbing that was now that I know you are actually a guy!"   

    "I've always been a guy!" Siwon retaliated as he crossed his arms ready to start a debate. "I didn't care then and I don't care now. I'm still me, I'm pretty damn sure, and you are still you... unfortunately..." 

    I stopped my swinging movements, "What the is that supposed to mean!" I shouted back before jumping off and landing in front of him. "Take it back." I growled and he shook his hand before beginning to walk backwards. "Siwon... take it back or I'll make you." He continued to shake his head annoying and edging me on even more. When we were younger I never needed to worry about Siwon going off or doing things that I wouldn't like simply because I knew he wouldn't; he was just a part of my mind after all. If I wanted him to be there, he appeared in a matter of minutes just like he did now. Knowing that he was a real person really didn't change anything except my perception of situation, not like I ever cared to begin with. I ran forward before grabbing Siwon by the wrists, completely ignoring that fact that he let's me do this, before throwing him to the ground and cheering joyfully at my victory. "I have won yet again!" I shout before he pulled me down onto the snow covered ground with him. We both laughed as he wrapped that protective arm of his around me, and just like before I felt nothing of it. "Why are we laying in the snow?" I asked.

    "Because we're dumb." He replied. Typical answer of him. "You should get home; your parents are probably having a freak attack because you are ignoring then and don't tell me you're not because I know you are. I can still read you like a book, Lime." I smiled when Siwon called me Lime, hell he always does and it makes me smile every single time he does it. It's not even my name, but the story behind it is one of the best I will ever have to tell. 

    When we were growing up, and pranks were the prime highlight of my day, I have managed to plan out the best attack know to Middle School name. Place dye in the locker room showers, and it would have worked too if it wasn't for that lousy imaginary of mine going all 'But harming others is a sin!' on me. Ever since he followed me to church when I was little Siwon has had this thing for preaching the word of god wherever it was needed, and since he followed me around that meant preaching it all the ing time. I was in the middle of screwing the shower head back together when someone thought it would be a lovely idea to turn on the water causing the dye to go everywhere... including my hair. My hair was permanently dyed a lime green color for three months, and the name has stuck ever since.

                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Lime wake up, school is cancelled for today." I heard Siwon's voice whisper as I turned around in my bed. "You need to get your lazy out of bed." He continued to tease as I attempted to ignore him. 

    Arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me towards him; I forgot that when he sleeps over we share the same bed and I also realized how wrong this was. "Siwon, let go of me." I said quickly as I felt my face heat up and I pushed him away. "Go to the bathroom and change or something while I crawl out of bed."

    I heard my annoying friend laugh to himself before wrapping his arms around me again. "We always do this so hush it and go back to sleep for a few more minutes like you always do." He was right; we have done this since I could remember and nothing throughout the years have changed it. Why didn't I think anything of it until now? Damn you therapist...

    "No, you need to go get dressed." I said as I fought my way out of bed and towards the bathroom. "Knowing my parents they aren't home anyway so just go change and make food or something." I said before slamming my bathroom door shut. I the shower before climbing in and being thankful for hot water. I sighed, my parents are never home... and when they are all they do is criticize and nag me. They wonder why I prefer being alone? Maybe it's because they always leave me like this. My loneliness is one of the main reasons why I thought I had created an imaginary friend since my youth. It made sense; I needed someone to talk to and my subconscious had provided that. I heard a knock on the door before it creaked open. "Can't you even leave me to shower in peace?" I nagged. "When I thought you were imaginary you weren't this annoying; how about you go back to acting like that."

    "Sorry your highness," Siwon's cocky voice replied, "but I thought her majesty would like some clean clothes to dress into after her bathing session." Okay, well played kind man, well ing played. "But if you really want to walk out into your bedroom, where I could possibly be lurking, in just a towel go for it. I am not complaining." I heard the door shut, hopefully indicating that he has left me alone to finish showering in peace. I can't believe he can be that blunt and prude... well I am too, but that's not the point right now. I finish showering and change into the clothes that Siwon brought for me; pair of jeans, shirt, and jacket. He always did have a simple sense of style I suppose. I made my way downstairs to find Siwon fully dressed and making breakfast, unfortunately his face still supported that lovely morning stubble that made him look ten times better than he really was. I've always thought that Siwon looked attractive, hell I complimented myself greatly for being able to create such an amazing looking being with my mind, but is it weird that I think this stuff now? 

    "Are you going to eat or just continue to stare at the wall?" he asked snapping me out of my trance. I looked at him dumbfounded as he motioned to the plate sitting in front of me. I formed an 'O' with my mouth before picking up my fork and going ham on the breakfast. I'm so ing hungry you have no idea... "What do you want to do today?" Siwon asked the moment I stuffed my mouth full of food. Why does everyone do that! It's like they wait until I put the food in my mouth and then ask me a question. 

    "I am going to go walk around and sulk like I usually do while you go and... leave me alone." I said as I continued to eat. I looked up and saw him glaring at me defiantly. Since when did he develop such an attitude? "Oh knock it of and go shove it somewhere. Don't you have a home you can go to?" I never bothered to ask that before, being as I thought that he was just in my mind and all, but he surely he has some place to go. 

    "No... In fact I don't have a home I can go to Lime." He said as silence took over. 

    "Oh..."

    Siwon continued to pick at his food with his fork. "Why did you think I spent so much time at your house?" He asked before realizing the answer, "Oh yeah... the whole imaginary thing. Okay, well I do not have a home and if I did have one I consider this place my home."

    "Why."

    "Because I'm with you."

    "So lame."

    "Oh I know, believe me. I've dealt with you for years; you are the definition of lame." My foot 'accidentally' twitched and flew forward kicking SIwon in the leg. He pouted and whined while I hid a smile and pretended to ignore his cries for an apology. "You should say your sorry! If you forgive others and your sins god will forgive you." After the words of the almighty god came out of his mouth any tolerance I had left for him left the building. "In the words of our lovely teacher Mr. Kim, ' You.'" 

    I snickered to myself as I took our plates and threw them into the sink hoping that my mother would wash them later because I really didn't feel like cleaning today, as if I ever do at all. "I'm going out to do something, feel free to do whatever." I said as I grabbed my coat off the couch and made for the front door. Siwon quickly grabbed his things and began to follow. "Go away, I don't want to be followed right now." I told him hoping that he would disappear like he had in the past, but Mr. Killjoy just couldn't listen. "Seriously Siwon, go home."

    "That's not going to work on me anymore." He replied as he closed the door and jogged down the street to catch up with me as I tried to walk faster. "At first I was just being nice by giving you some personal space when I thought you needed it but I finally realized how much you need me." 

    My boots continued to crunch through the snow and ice as I tried to ignore him. "I liked you better when you weren't real." I huffed. "I don't need you, I never needed anyone but myself and since you are no longer part of me I need you no longer." I waved my hand and dismissed his presence; he continued to walk with me, right at my side now, and I started to doubt my dominance. Why was he not listening to me? 

    The way my foot made contact with the ground, unevenly placed and on a patch of ice, had me screaming as I started to fall face forward onto the sidewalk. Arms wrapped around me and the next thing I knew my face was pulled tight against a warm chest and I just kept my face buried there. I wasn't just enjoying the heat and warmth from the cold winter air but secretly hiding my face from the concerning eyes that I knew were staring at me, I could feel them. "I dare you to say that you don't need me again." I heard Siwon mutter. "You are my best friend Lime," He said as his arms held me tighter and a little to comfortable for my liking, "I would never leave you just hanging like that, especially when I know you still need me."

    I quickly pulled away just to have my arm pulled back and taken in his before beginning to walk down the street again. "This is the equivalent of holding hands," I told him as I attempted to pull my arm away. "I don't want people to see me being affectionate towards you, it's embarrassing."  

    "If anyone should be embarrassed it should be me for being seen with you in a public environment where people constantly inhabit." Siwon replied causing me to smile a little. I can always appreciate a good comeback... Before I knew it I was sitting at a cafe table and the smell of food filled the air.

    "We just ate breakfast, why are we here?" I asked as a waitress came over and took our orders. Siwon, sly as always, ordered me a hot chocolate while he got himself a coffee. "If you buy me breakfast right after we eat I'm going to slap you for making me fat." I threatened while looking around to see if anyone we knew was also seated inside.

    "You're not fat already?" He commented back which undoubtedly earned him another under the table kick to the shin. "Ouch, god I'm sorry... ." Siwon muttered as he rubbed his leg. 

    "You are apologizing to me, not god."

    Siwon raised his arms in the air before bowing down repeatedly. "I'm sorry master, please forgive me!" He said before turning bright red as the waitress brought us our drinks. "I brought you here for a reason you know, so drink the hot chocolate and hush while I talk, okay?" Silently I obeyed, unsure why I was letting SIwon control the conversation when it was clearly my job, but I decided to attempt to be nice for once. I did think he was nonexistent for eighteen years; the least I could do was listen to him for once. "When I was five they transferred me to this town to this town, to a better orphanage home really, and that first day of kindergarden I was scared as hell. I didn't know what people would think of 'the kid without parents'," Siwon stressed with air quotes, "I didn't even know if I would manage to chose the right color crayon to draw with to color the sun." I held in a laugh and sipped some more of my drink as he continued to talk and he had a point; he always colored the sun green. "I saw this girl playing alone in the sandbox and thought that since we were both alone she wouldn't mind playing with me. It's eighteen years later and I know everything about this girl, and until two days ago she had no idea that I was alive, literally." 

    I was surprised, shocked really. "What kind of stupid girl can't see how ing wonderful you are?" I asked as I waved my hand before taking another sip of my drink. "You have the perfect body, I seriously wish that I was the one who created that because it was my most prized creation. Your hair is ing perfect, your smile can kill, your personality is a little dull but not to shabby and we can work on that." I sat back and thought quickly of a list of people that could possibly be fitting Siwon's description. "So who's the lucky lady?" I asked bearing teeth as I growled a little. "I need to now so I can beat the out of her."

    Siwon just stated at me. He ing stared at me. When I ask you a question the first thing you better start doing is answering it because I hate it when people stare at me in awkward silence. "I'm done with you." Siwon said bluntly before getting out the seat and throwing on his jacket as he walked out the cafe door. 

    "What?" I said quickly, not believing that Siwon just walked away from me. Rude Jesus Worshiping . I quickly got up from the table and started running towards the door to catch up with him before I realized that someone needs to pay for those drinks. Grumbling I reached into my pocket and pulled out a ten before throwing it on the table, when I catch him he is so paying me back, and bolted down the street  after him. It was to late and I took to long; the busy city street was full of people an none of them were my imaginary. My Siwon. "I'm such an idiot!" I shouted out loud causing the people walking past to stop and stare before continuing on their way. "What are you people looking at?" I snarled before shoving my hands in my pockets and making my way sadly down the street. Of course he wasn't talking about anyone else, I'm the only girl he ever hangs out with.... except for that one sprightly looking girl who tried to kiss him the the ninth grade I took care of her. 

    I had no idea where to go and without Siwon following me I really didn't care. My feet silently took me through the quiet streets in the abandoned part of town to the park that I knew all to well. I sat down on the swing and held onto the chains before closing my eyes. The fun and carefree life I once had was now gone; everything is pointless now. The imaginary friend I had as a child was a real person; a real lovable and caring person that I just blew off because I'm to stupid. "Maybe that therapist was right, your imagination does control your life." I heard Siwon's voice say before I felt hands grab ahold of the chains and begin to drag the swing backwards. 

    "Siwon you are my imagination." I mumbled as the air from swinging forward blew my hair back. "So by default that means you are my life." I almost choked at how utterly cheesy that sentence could have turned out to be. 

    Siwon continued to push me and I continued to swing as the midday sun shined down on us. " Are you trying to declare your love for me?" Siwon said with a hint of amusement in his voice. "Because if you are, that ." 

    "What do you want me to do?" I said as I dug my feet into the ground and stopped the swing. Siwon walked the swing and stood in front of me. "Do you want me to get down on one knee and confess about how blindly in love I have been for years, and that my claims of making you my imaginary friend was just my way of claiming you as mine?" 

    He continued to stand in front of me with that dark look in his eyes as a small smile started to appear on his face. "Much better." He whispered as his face got closer and closer to mine. I could feel his breath mingle with mine and before I knew it he was laying flat on the ground with my foot on this stomach. 

    "Try to kiss me again and you're dead." I said to him before he reached up and grabbed my hand pulling me down to the ground, too. "I let you pull me down here." I muttered as his arm wrapped around me and pulled me closer. "You just don't realize it." Siwon hummed in an accepted agreement before telling me to shut up and relax for a while. I quieted down and stared at the blue sky, "My therapist was wrong," I whispered, "Going to the park has never been more fun."


~Four Years Later~

    Four years have passed and the creative and cunning pair now found their way through the familiar hallways and courtyards of the local university. Lime's hair was no longer colorful; instead a soft brown color now found it's way to the girls locks making it more subtle. Siwon's looks, not having changed much, were slightly changed due to the stubble that now covered his face. Their hands, interlocked most of the time, swung between them as they walk in the sunshine. Graduation being next week, and adult life soon ahead, the couple enjoyed their time in the sun. 

    The tiny bump that started to underneath the girls clothes had Siwon gripping her hand a little stronger than normal just to let her know that he wasn't going anywhere. "Do you think they'll notice at graduation?" He asked her as they continued to stroll through the main courtyard. 

    "If they haven't noticed it yet they won't notice it when I'm sitting up on stage surrounded by several other people." Even though the sun, love, and communication had turned Lime into an understanding and happier young woman, her cockiness and sense of foul humor has yet to subside. "If anything it's your fault anyway." 

    "It's not a fault; it is a gift from god!" Siwon protested. "A mistake on both of our parts," he hissed as he looked at Lime noticing her eye rolling, "But a gift none the less."

    "Why do you insist on claiming everything is a gift from god!" She shouted. "Not everything is a gift from god. If god is real let him shock me with lightning right here, right now." 

    "Don't you dare say that!" Siwon shouted out loud. Their bickering could be heard, once again, throughout the courtyard and no one paid head to the arguing lovers. Perhaps they are the best thing that has ever happened to each other and the therapist did do the right thing telling Lime that her worst imaginary was her biggest reality. 

    Far off in the distance, looking out from a window down onto the university courtyard, stood two men sipping their coffee. "Who knew that those two would manage to work things out and stay together this long. I was certain that she would ditch him..."

    "Give him some credit," the other man replied, "It only took 20 years and a little bit of help. Did you see the baby bump? I'm secretly fawning over it." Suddenly the mans phone went off and he groaned as he picked it up. "Kim Heechul, Dean of this fine University, how may I help you?" 

    The faint voice could be heard from the other side of the phone, "That girl is beating up her boyfriend in the middle of the courtyard again. Should we break it up sir?" 

    Heechul quickly glanced out the window to see the brown haired girl dragging Siwon off by the ear. "Wonderful decision this was!"