Chapter 8

Thorns

Shortly after my little coughing episode I decided that it was time that I go back home. Not 2pm’s home, but to the place where everything began. Back to the place where I used to call home; the headquarters. So with a quick movement I grabbed my phone and snuck to the door.

I was able to leave the house without anyone noticing me, which was a relief in itself. Mark refused to let me go anywhere alone, yet he himself never was the one to go with me. Somehow we both knew that many things had changed since that day-no, not things but many people had changed.

My grip on my phone tightened, my knuckles turning white, dread consuming my every being.

This was the only way; I needed this. I had to go over to that house; it had to be the only way to get over this obstacle. Got7 had told me that the girls had vanished by the time that they returned, but it was safe to assume that they were dead.

Assuming. Isn’t that all we’re good for, assuming about things?

The sidewalk I was traveling on was extremely crowded, the people bustling around, talking, and chatting about nonsensical things. A tall male bumped into me, sending me flying to the ground; my hands scrapping. Tears stung my eyes, my vision blurring as I looked up at the person. He was smiling, but it was eerie, his hands were stuffed in his pockets.

Run, my brain screamed at me, sirens going off in my head. I pushed myself up off the ground, not breaking eye contact with the man.

“You’ve got beautifully pale skin for being alive.” He smirked, walking around me; I flinched. “Would anyone notice if it was no longer warm?”

A gasp popped from my mouth, a sinking feeling entering my stomach. I spun around, searching for him, but he was long gone. I bent down and picked up my phone before I began to run to the house.

With each step closer to the house the more I thought I was going to throw up. Each step was one more closer to a painful place. Each step was more terrifying than the first.

You can do this, I chanted in my head as the building came into view. It’s just a building, they’re gone, and everything is going to be okay. Standing in front of the broken door I entered the home.

Glass crunched underneath my feet, a picture laid hidden beneath the shards of glass, one of the three of us; smiling. I squatted down to examine the mess, nostalgia hitting me at full force.  What a joke nostalgia was, always making you remember the good and not the bad.

Everything was a mess, blood caked the floor along with trash. I grimaced and walked further into the house. The pictures were exactly where they had been left, but their frames had been shattered. All of the windows had been broken to little pieces, glass covering the majority of the floor. I placed my hand of the wall and frowned, had anyone set foot in here since then?

It didn’t look like a single living soul had been here, aside from the blood but that might’ve been from the begging of our fight. I wasn’t even sure anymore.

“You’re here too?” Someone laughed; I turned around and saw the man from early. He was smirking and spinning a knife on his right index finger, his left hand still buried in his pocket. I squeezed my phone and shook my head. I headed toward the back room, my room, to get out of here, to get away from him.

“Where are you going? I just wanna talk to you.” He shouted. I slammed the door, fingers fumbling to lock it while searching for something to block the door. Scrambling at the pounding on the door I pushed my old dresser against the door, along with the mattress. I the rushed to the window to try to open it, but it wouldn’t budge.

No matter how hard I tried it wouldn’t open.

“JangMi, I don’t want to kill you, but if you don’t come out here I might just have to.” The man gravely shouted, his pounding on the door ceasing. I rushed to push my bed away, uncovering the door to help me escape, or at least to hide. “You asked for it.”

I scrambled into the tiny room, and pulled me phone out. Trembling I dialed Mark’s number, praying that he’d answer his phone. After the three ring I had almost given up all hope of him answering.

“Hello, JangMi?” He breathed, soft panting in the background. I whined and opened my mouth; nothing came out. From my bedroom I could hear the dresser fall and crash onto the floor.

“What’s wrong? Where are you?” He rushed, taking deep breaths at the end.

“Help…” I whined, trying to keep my voice low and quiet.

“Where are you?” He asked again, his voice louder and his tone panicked.  I inhaled deeply through my nose, trying to keep calm, tearing falling from my eyes unconsciously.

“Home.” I answered brokenly, not giving him more information on my location.

“Where’s home? I need more information JangMi! What’s wrong and where is home?”

“My…headquarters…psycho…help.” I sobbed, bringing the phone closer to me. Mark shouted out to people, most likely to the rest of Got7 before he responded to me.

“We’re going to be there soon. Just stay hidden, I’ll protect you.” I sobbed harder, trying to keep my volume level quiet, my breathing pattern becoming messed up. Mark ended the phone call before I could try to respond, but then again that was probably the best thing that he could possibly do for me right now.

“I know you’re here JangMi, I can practically hear your heart going on overdrive. Your blood is pumping, is your blood sweet? Will it be bright red, will it stain my hands with beauty?” He rambled, his feet pounding on the floor. I shivered at his comments, drawing my knees closer to my chest, praying for Got7 to arrive quickly.