Real.

Real.

"The one I love. The one I love. The one I love."

Right after that day, neither of them knew the reason why but they lived every day with a heart at ease. No more pretending to be happy. No more pretending to be in love.  No more pretending.

And as if their red string got out of its messy knots, they found a way to each other again.

A journalist was assigned to write an article about a designer.

The companies set the dates and place and ironically it was at the coffee shop near their university. Both were reluctant though they didn’t know who waited for who. But just considering the place full of sentimental memories, they were unsure.

But work was work.

And he met her there.

The moment the chimes rang as the doors opened, the red string that tied them together tightened.

“Ms. ---?” He asked, his breath in his  throat.

Of course. He thought to herself. Who else would have the same achievements as her? Who else than his girl?

“Mr. Kim…” She trailed.

Both of them just stared at each other for a moment, trying to find the words. Their hearts swelled in happiness but something at the back of their mind stopped them from running to each other’s arms.

What if he found someone new?

What if she already had someone else?

“Can I take your orders?” A petite worker interrupted them. Both clearing their throats, they sat down and ordered drinks.

“You’ll still have your favorite caramel macchiato, right?” He inquired- his voice ever so slightly shaking.

She bit down her lip and nodded.

“And I presume you’ll have your usual Espresso?” She trailed off.

“Of course.” He offered a warm smile as butterflies got dumped in her stomach.

“It’ll be ready in a jiffy!” The waitress said happily before skipping away.

Silence.

“Wow.” He was the first one to break the ice.

“Excuse me?” She queried, her fingers visibly shaking.

“It’s been more than a year,” he stated

“Before we last saw each other.” She added.

“Before… yeah.” He said and shifted uncomfortably.

“Yeah.” She swallowed.

 

As their drinks arrived, the awkwardness all  over them got thick that  one would need a chainsaw to cut through it.

“Anyway, we’re here for work, aren’t we?” She sighed and offered a civil interview.

“Yes, of course. Let’s just get this over with, yeah??”

Eager to finish it to get rid of me?

Eager to finish it to get back to you.

 

And a day of interview ended with formalities and feelings locked up in a jar.

They continued their lives with a new struggle on top of their shoulders.

 

They were too scared.

 

But fate clearly had another plan.

“We arranged another meeting with Ms.----, the designer you are writing an article on.” His boss informed him as his heart skipped a beat or two.

“Pardon?” He asked in shock.

“We felt like your paper was too formal. It was from a stranger to  another. The connection wasn’t there, Suho-ssi. Try again. Please. Try harder, this time.”

Try harder this time.

“One caramel macchiato and one espresso!” the same cheerful waiter served their drinks for the second time they met.

He can’t stand watching another part of them breaking, and ending.

“How about we go for a walk instead of just sitting here?” he offered

“Seems like a better plan.” She answered and they both stood up.

Before they knew it, their feet lead them to the park. Their park.

 

“Well, I’m sorry that we had to do it all over again, ---- ssi . My boss just wasn’t satisfied with the last encounter.” He said as he locked his tab and smiled, dropping the civil atmosphere. They sat on the fountain comfortably as they ended the interview.

She nodded in agreement and sipped the remains of her macchiato. Her eyes were on her empty cup but she knew very well that he was staring at her.

A moment of silence for her sanity, please.

“Should we get you another one, ---?” He offered. This time calling her by her first name.

She couldn’t deny that she was surprised at how familiar her name was when he said it. He said it as if he never stopped calling her that for the past months. It was as if she was still his.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, Suho-ssi.” She could feel her heart break.

I can’t risk another goodbye.

 

The events of their last memory as a couple played before her as tears started to form.

Try harder this time.

“Oppa.” He corrected.

When he saw her hesitated, his smile faltered.

“Unless, you already call someone else that.” He added.

And they both knew what that meant.

He may have stated it bluntly, but it was a moment they both feared and waited for.

“I-” she didn’t know where to start.

I’ve never had anyone else you idiot It has been you always been you even if I had another relationship it has always been you but why did you have to do that before  and now the same fear takes over me. What if you leave me hanging again.  What is your disappear right after you come back. But my heart never changed.

“Well, I guess that answers it then.” He concluded heartbreak leaking at every word.

It took her long to respond. Too long. And he took her silence the wrong way.

“I’ll do my best in writing your article this time Ms. ---, you can look forward to it.” He added before standing up.

“I’ll go ahead.”  He bid farewell and started to retreat.

 

It may not have been one of the situations she made up in her mind on the thought of seeing him again. But the one word that was evident in each scenario itched out of her.

“Why?” She whispered quietly. Not even sure if he heard it.

And he did not.

 

“You’ll still have your favorite caramel macchiato, right?”
“Oppa.”
“------”

And right there and then she knew, she can’t take another risk for herself. She can’t  take another risk for him.

“I can’t risk seeing you walk away like that again!!!” She yelled at the top of her lungs before she erupted to sobs.

“I can’t risk living another day with one question in my mind!” Her tears flowed as he turned to  look back at her.

“I can’t risk living without knowing why you did that before…” Her voiced muffled by her sobs.

He then ran back to her and took her in an embrace.

“I can’t risk losing you again.” She said bravely, shrinking to his hug.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I’m sorry. I really am so sorry.”  He repeated the same lines over and over again as his tears spilled to her hair. They rocked back and forth together, feeling broken and healed at the same time.

“I still love you.” He said unpretentiously.

“I still love you too.” She replied honestly.

He released her from the hug and looked at her eyes.

“No on new? No one else?” He queried.

“No one” She said in honesty.

“I love you.” He repeated.

She nodded and closed her eyes.

“And I love you too.” She responded

 

---

 

At that place, at that time, wounds were mended, scars were covered, hearts healed.

And they both knew they were one once again.

The real questions of the past may have been yet answered but they knew none of that mattered anymore for it was a mistake they learned from. It was a risk that wasn’t worth it. It was a slip, a test and they pulled through. It may have taken them quite a while, but true love always finds a way around things.

After everything they’ve been through, after all the pain and tears and questions, they were finally free of pretending, free of regrets, free of hurt.

For in that moment, they knew, they were perfect.

In that moment they knew they were real.

-

FIN.

I hope you liked it.

, K