The First Date: Part 1

Once Upon a Time

Jinri had pushed me into meeting up with her at the mall. She said that she had a good surprise for me. Which, was the only reason I had even considered actually going to the mall. I generally hated places with a lot of people, not to mention people could be really catty over silly things. Sometimes people would be angry if you merely glanced their way, even if you weren't looking at them specifically. It was just a headache. None the less, I went. Because it was Jinri. My best friend, the girl I would jokingly call my husband. 

 

I sighed, honestly if she didn't show up soon I was going to leave. I'd been waiting for fifteen minutes already. Without a second thought I pulled out my phone. I dialed her number, and she picked up. I heard giggling in the background but she started to cough. She spoke with a hoarse voice. "Wifey~ Mian. I know school is starting soon and I'll have to leave... but I got sick. Aish, I am the worlds biggest babo." I frowned and made a noise. "Stupid. What am I supposed to do now, there is absolutely no point. Sica is god knows where looking at y underwear or something. How am I supposed to entertain myself for a while? You know I hate malls-" Jinri cut off my rant, still faking that voice. God I hated the fact she could act. "Ani, don't worry. I sent you a date. I know you say you don't want to date, but come on. Do it for your husband who has to leave soon. Ani, do it for the side of me that is so close to you we consider ourselves married. Do it for the friendship." Then she giggled and whispered, "Do it for the vine."

 

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, but if I ruin your friendship with this person, it's not my fault." With that I had hung up and crossed my legs. Fine, if she was going to set me up with someone I would treat this like a real date. Just then a light tap on the shoulder jolted me from my thoughts.

 

"Hey." I knew that voice, I had memorized it from that day at the park about a month ago. Honestly, I had been thinking about this kid. Well, she was older than me, but that wasn't the point. I had found her somewhat attractive and my personality went pretty good with hers. Hence the fact I had actually thought about her. I cleared my throat and smiled lightly. "Hey. So you're my date?" The English felt foreign on my tongue, considering I had just spoken Korean on the phone. Standing up I shifted my backpack to a more comfortable position.

 

It was then I realized how messy I probably looked. My jeans were tight, and a vibrant but dark blue. I had a black tank top on with a grey ed plaid shirt on over it. While one could play it off casually, the fact was I was wearing sunglasses to hide the fact I wasn't wearing makeup and my hair was in what God himself could deem the messiest bun mankind had ever had. When I went on dates, usually I would get dressed up. But Jinri sprung this at me. I was honestly, truly embarrassed. Who wouldn't be? I laughed awkwardly and put a hand on the back of my neck. "Uhm, sorry. I look like such a mess...." Then she laughed. My heart totally didn't skip a beat or anything. Because that would be stupid, I barely knew this girl. "Have you looked at me? I'm a total mess too." I looked at her, and frowned. What a liar.

 

The fact of the matter was, she pulled off the casual look. Her shirt was flowy, her pants loose but tight at the same time. Her shoes even looked good, and I usually don't care about shoes. The best part was she was wearing a hat, turned around. It was such a dorky look, but insanely attractive at the same time? And god damnit, I never notice clothes unless it's supposed to be a fancy date. This was frustrating. I was supposed to make this turn out good for me, not be attracted and let down that wall I'd built up. But woop-de-doo I was a teenager and that's what I'd done.

 

Then she spoke again, and that voice was something I really liked. It didn't grate on my ears like some of the California accents did. "So what do you wanna do first? Admittedly, I have no idea what Korean girls really do on dates.... but I sort of watched bits of some melodramas and I guess that helped? Unless those are totally a lie. In which case I didn't even know what a melodrama is." I laughed, an actual genuine laugh. Because she was so goofy and awkward about that. It was charming, I frowned pretending to look angry the next second. "Oh my god. You're trying to stereotype me aren't you? Jesus Christu." It took a lot of power not to laugh at myself, because of the little 'u' at the end of Christ. I admit it might not be funny to someone else, but this was hysterical to me.

 

What was funnier, Amber looked genuinely horrified and embarrassed and frankly like some sort of confused animal. Like a llama or something. I snorted. "You're not used to humor, are you?" She looked appalled then. "I am totally used to humor. I am an amazing comedian." I rolled my eyes behind the sunglasses. "Suuuuuuuuuure. Anyways, I guess since we're stuck on this date or whatever we might as well have fun. Right? So we could either stay here and do lame stuff or we can take the bus somewhere. Chinatown, Koreatown, I think there's a Little Tokyo? We could find out or whatever. I know Koreatown the best though, and I can easily get around any barriers if we even encounter them. So what do you think?"


Honestly, this isn't the best but I felt like I should get something out so it's not like 'omg what happened did this get abandoned' cause you know, even if the story isn't amazing and you're reading it abandoment . Anyways! I figured I could divide this up so I more or less have more room for creativity. Plus I don't want one REALLY REALLY long chapter in comparison to the rest. Plus because this is all "firsts" might as well make them as nice and long as possible, right? Anyways, long authors note here woops. But I did my best as soon as my ideas started flowing. We're gonna have a cute little adventure! Hopefully, haha. Thank you for putting up with me and my (irregular) updates + long footnote combo. I hope you like this chapter though and have a good night/morning/day/evening/afternoon