The First Meeting

Once Upon a Time

The First Meeting

 

It had been another Saturday for me.  I had plans to hang out with Jinri.  She was my best friend, and for the entire summer she’d been here in the States.  I was loving it honestly, but that Saturday changed my life.

 

I can remember it so clearly.  It was about two years ago.  I was waiting on the swings for Jinri, and she came alright.  With what I thought was a boy at the time.  I had called out to her.  “Yah! Idiot! Don’t bring boys. You’re my husband, remember?”  The person she had brought along laughed.  I wasn’t sure if that meant they understood or not.  Either way I had given a big pout.  Jinri had brought the person closer, and I had squinted.  “Who’s this special person to steal my husband from me?”  The girl laughed.  “Pabo. This person is a friend. I think you and them would fix well. Just try it out, okay?” I frowned.  “No, Saturdays are for us. The husband and wife, we promised.” Okay, I was whining. I knew it, Jinri knew it and that weird guy knew it.

 

“Besides, I don’t date guys. Remember?”  Jinri nodded.  “I do. This isn’t a boy. It’s a girl. Just your type too. Happy go lucky, good sense of humor, and attractive. Think of it as an anniversary present. I think I saw ice cream around the front of the park. Have fun my baby wife!”  And just like that she left me with the stranger.  There was an awkward silence at first, but she broke it.  “I can tell you don’t like me… But I’m Amber, it’s nice to meet you… She didn’t say you’d hate me on sight though…”  I snorted.  God this kid.  “I don’t hate you, I’m just mad that my hus—I mean, my friend would ditch me so that I could meet a girl. She never pulls these stunts. I’m Krystal. I guess we have to talk now. Or pretend to. So tell me about yourself.”

 

That day I learned a lot about her, and she learned a lot about me. And Jinri was right. I did like her. We meshed extremely well.