Bonus

The Adventures of Daehyun and Youngjae in Japan

A/N: Because people wanted the secret chapter, here it is! Before you read, this is an explanation between Part 3 and 4. So literally Part 3.5. If you've read the story and want to keep the ending mysterious, you probably wouldn't want to read this. Otherwise, I hope this makes sense~
 

 

                Youngjae’s body dropped to the ground. Daehyun remained in the cell scared out of his wits. The figure that knocked out his friend revealed to be a large man in tiny denim shorts. The singer carefully eyed him from head to toe, unsure if he should be amused or intimated. He soon turned the latter as the man stepped dangerously towards the cell. Before the bodyguard could grant him the same fate as Youngjae, a loud “whack!” erupted in the basement. Daehyun held his breath as the brute fell on his face a few feet away from Youngjae’s lifeless body. The figure who knocked him out was an older man around his thirties. In his hands he gripped a large monkey wrench which he eventually tossed carelessly to the side. The man stopped in his tracks when he spotted Youngjae on the ground in front of him.

                “Oh no, not him too?” Daehyun’s ears perked up when he heard the Korean words slip from the person’s mouth. The man bent over to inspect the unconscious singer. Immediately Daehyun felt protective over Youngjae at sight of the action.

                “Wait! Don’t touch him!!” He ran out of the cell hoping to stop the stranger from handling his precious friend. But it was too late, the man already lifted Youngjae up and propped him against his shoulder. Daehyun ceased moving a step further, apprehensive about what the mysterious man had in store for the younger. He pivoted around Youngjae, leading him to cross eyes with Daehyun briefly. The man’s eyebrows lifted in surprise when he saw him, aged folds visible on his forehead.

                “You’re the one aren’t you?” he spoke, voice raspy and commanding.

                “Huh?” Daehyun stuttered stupidly.

                “Help me get your friend up,” Youngjae was beginning to slip down the man’s shoulder.

                “Wait, I don’t understand, who are you?” the singer asked nervously as he made his way over to wrap Youngjae’s arm around his shoulder.

                “I’ll explain later, we have to get out of here quickly. I know a secret exit, follow me.” Daehyun complied, pushing his pressing questions out of his head for the time being and followed the man’s lead. Through doors and dark corridors they hastily traveled. With the two supporting Youngjae they moved just a notch above a snail’s pace, but it was the only way to get him out of the building. Daehyun wasn’t sure what was going on, he barely survived getting kidnapped, but he had no other choice, he had to trust the old man. Soon enough they were back outside. Their surroundings emulated some sort of back alley warehouse.

                “We have to continue on foot. All of the cars here are tracked.” Daehyun had no idea what that meant but agreed for a second time. The group shuffled onward through unusually deserted streets of the district. Youngjae’s body was quite a challenge to lug around and it only added to the pressure and confusion Daehyun experienced in the past few hours. As they crossed to a new street, he decided to finally cut the silence and speak up.                

                “Ok, now who are you?” He repeated to the older man with much more gusto this time around.

                “I’m a cop,” The man grunted as they jumped over a wide puddle in unison. Thank god,I’ve been saved, Daehyun thought.

                “Are you going to arrest those guys? The ones that took me?”

                “Well...yes. And no.” Daehyun flashed him a look of concern. “See, I’m still undercover. I can’t break cover until I know I’ve got things under control which isn’t the case right now.”

                “Who are they?”

                “Mask,” the man stated, almost disengaged from their current task of escaping. “They’re a ruthless crime gang that’s been involved with more illegal things than I can count. I’ve been working undercover as one of them for the past year. ” Daehyun swallowed down a dry lump in his throat. He realized how lucky he was to have been rescued, despite the fact that Youngjae had to be involved. He looked at the younger singer with heavy distress. The weight of Youngjae’s head was flat against Daehyun’s shoulder; his eyes were shut mildly and his breathing was gradual. The sight unnerved the older singer.

                Several more turns, an underground tunnel and an ambiguous flight of stairs later, they arrived at a bustling train station. The passing crowds of people, normal people, made Daehyun much more comfortable. But that comfort was masked by the fact that Youngjae was still unconscious and needed medical attention immediately. The trio limped their way to a green bench and gently placed the young singer into seating position on it. Daehyun wasted no time in examining Youngjae’s injuries, checking from the back of his scalp to the delicate surface of his skin to just about everything else that made up his face.

                “We have to get him to a hospital,” he uttered to the man pacing back and forth behind the bench.

                “No.”

                “What do you mean no?!” Daehyun cried out, nearly drawing a few stares from a few passersby.

                  “Listen,” the cop spoke with a quiet intensity. “We can’t go to a hospital. They’ll take down names. They’ll have records of everything. Are you really going to forsake your entire company over this incident?” Daehyun bit back his lip. He had a point. If anyone, even Yongguk and the others, found out about him being kidnapped, the entire team would raise hell. It would mean paying extra costs for bills, getting into a possible lawsuit, covering up an entire scandal, preventing any rumors to be spread around, and possibly even postponing their tour dates in Japan and the rest of their yearly schedule. The consequences were endless. He couldn’t let any of that happen. Everyone worked too hard to let that all slip away because of him. His best friend’s still face was persuading him otherwise, however.   

                “But..Youngja-“

                “He’ll be fine.” The man took a seat on the bench by Youngjae’s other side. “His breathing is steady and his wound isn’t bad. A little swollen but not bad. He probably just fainted from overwhelming fear. But he’ll be fine. ” Daehyun released a dismal sigh of relief, glad at the reassuring news but still saddened. He fumbled with the younger’s shirt unsure of how to cope with current situation.

                “You know, he’s a very clever boy,” the man continued. Daehyun momentarily paused at the indirect comment. “I was with the other masks when I saw him here, on this very bench. After I dropped off a new mask to the location of the bar where you were held, I sent out to get patrons to the rush hour before getting back to work. And to my surprise he was there. He was set on rescuing you. I didn’t know how, but he was able to reach you. I’m pretty impressed.”

                Daehyun held his breath. Youngjae wasn’t kidnapped. Youngjae actually set his own self in danger in order to save him. Something deep in Daehyun’s chest suddenly ached and he knew why.

                I shouldn’t have brought you with me. You wouldn’t have gotten hurt in the first place. This is all my stupid fault.

                The cop to his right side noticed the worry on the singer’s face and softly continued.

                “I’ll try to find someone who can patch him up when we reach the police station.” Daehyun withdrawn himself when he heard those words.

                “We’re not in trouble right?..”

                “You’ll have to be interviewed as a victim in the crime, but don’t worry, I’ll make sure the information is confidential.”

                “Ok,” Daehyun whispered. The older man patted the singer’s shoulder reassuringly before getting up from the bench.

                “I have to make a call,” he said airily. Daehyun nodded to the cop as he stepped to a less congested area of the terminal. Daehyun was left with Youngjae, who was yet to awaken. Daehyun made a loud sigh. He was still dipping his toes in a pool of doubt. Everything was happening so fast, yet painfully slow at the same time. He had no time to react to all of it. He felt like a ball of rubber bands; layers of fighting emotions tightening up over one another. And they continued to build up as the day progressed. He didn’t have to worry about making it out alive from those horrible people now. But how was he going to work this all out later? How am I going to face the others?

                Suddenly his phone rang, cutting him from his train of thought. Blinking languidly, he checked to see who it was. His heart plunged at the name on the screen.

                Himchan.

                .

                Mentally preparing himself for an onslaught, he took a deep breath and answered the call.

                “H..Hello?”  

                “Daehyun?”

                “Yeah?”

                “Where the hell are you guys?!” Daehyun winced at the shrill voice on the other end. “Zelo and I tried to look for you. And why is Youngjae’s phone off?”

                “His...phone died..Well, Youngjae...found...this thing he wanted to get. But he needs to buy it at a certain store.”

                “Wait...don’t tell me..” Daehyun froze from fear. “it’s iPad accessories..”

                “Yes! Yes, that’s it! He’s really set on getting them and it might take a long while, maybe all night, so if it’s all right..”

                “Ugh. Fine I’ll cover for you.”

                “Thank you, hyung!!”

                “You owe me big time.”

                “Don’t worry I’ll make it up to you I promise.”

                “I’ll make sure of that. See you soon then.”

                “Bye.” Fingers trembling, Daehyun hung up the phone and threw his head back in relief. That was so close. So freaking close. He shut his eyes, thanking his luck ten times over. Despite the traumatic incident he underwent earlier, things were going too smoothly. Of course, he thought too soon.  

                In one second he had his phone and in the next it was snatched out of his clutches by a random stranger. It took the singer seconds to realize it was missing from his hand. He flung his head towards the thief who was dashing his way through the thick crowd, knocking down innocent people in his path.

                ”Hey!!!”

                Losing the phone was enough to trigger Daehyun to leap from his seat and chase him down. Had this been any other time, he’d let it go. He didn’t know why but he’d be damned if anything else was going to make his day even worse than it already was. And then, he found his reason. The stranger jumped over a gate and he saw it. To his horror, the person he was hunting down was none other than a masked man. The sight struck Daehyun like an angry bullet and made him all the more determined to stop him.

                The two ran on for minutes through the station until they reached the streets outside. And even then, Daehyun had the energy to chase him still. Ignoring the stares of the people around them, he kept shooting his legs forward. After crossing a new block, the mask made the mistake of cutting into an alley and he ended up tripping over several potted plants. Without hesitation, Daehyun pinned the man against the ground; his nails dug through the wrists of the robber. In one swift motion he unmasked him, only to choke on sight.

                The old man from the convenience store.

                Rage now occupied Daehyun’s heavily panting body. The same man who lured the two singers into his trap, the same man that looked Daehyun in the eyes as he cowered in a basement cell with his future in the whim in his wrinkly hands, was the same man staring at him on the cold street now. It took a familiar voice to stop Daehyun from making a reckless move right then and there.

                “Kid! Kid are you ok?” Into the alley, entered the cop, who was following the action a few steps back. Reluctantly, Daehyun removed himself off of the old man to make room for him. The cop’s face beamed in surprise when he saw who was on the ground in front of them.

                “Tanaka-san?” the old man coughed. The cop shook his head at him coldly. He replied a few sentences back in Japanese that Daehyun couldn’t understand before taking out a pair of handcuffs and shackling them to the man’s wrists. Daehyun wished he felt an ounce of joy as it was happening, but he felt nothing. If he felt anything, he was just glad it was all over. The cop firmly lifted the old man off the ground and held his arms back, restricting him from any hasty movements. Turning to Daehyun, he spoke, switching back to Korean.   

                “Thank you.”

                “It’s no problem,” the singer replied.

                “No, you don’t understand. You just took out the head of Mask.” Daehyun looked at him incredulously. That old man? Catching the hint of his gaze, the cop continued. “Looks can be deceiving. But trust me, when you work for them for a year, you know.”

                “So...now what?” Daehyun spoke softly. All of the running exhausted him completely.

                “We have to get to the police station now.”

                “Wait! We left Youngjae behind, we have to go back.”

                “We can’t. We have no time.”

                “Are you crazy?” Daehyun cried out. What is with this guy? Daehyun put his best friend through too much today. In fact, he had just realized he left him behind to chase an old man that just so happened to be his own kidnapper. “The train station is literally right there! I can go back!”

                “No, I need you to come with me. Without you, I can’t make a case. Not only that but I’m occupied here.” He gestured his head to the quiet old man in his hold. “Do you even have free time to come back to the police station?” Daehyun thought long and hard before giving his answer.

                “..No. We leave Japan in a few days. If we’re not performing, we’re rehearsing. Today was our only free day.” Which was ruined miserably, he wanted to add.

                “Which is why we need to do this now.” The cop began to  step out of the alley; the old man making no effort to break free. Daehyun solemnly followed, not knowing what other choice he had. “Don’t worry about him. Other than these guys running around, he’ll be safe.” I hope so, the singer thought.

                Before Daehyun knew it, they arrived at the police station. The interrogation was much longer than he had anticipated. Here, he learned everything. Why he was kidnapped, what they were planning to do with him, what their headquarters were and more. There were a lot of “yeses” and “nos,” a lot of head nodding and shaking and a lot of pointing at people and confirming things. Eight men were arrested and of the eight, he recognized two: the old man, and the denim shorts bodyguard. He hoped it was the last he would ever see of them.

                By the time every little detail was recorded down and Daehyun had no more tasks and procedures to do, it was already late into the evening. The cop, who Daehyun learned was detective Yamada, met the singer outside of the building before he made his way back.

                “I’m sorry it took so long.” Daehyun took a few seconds before replying back.

                “Do you think he’s ok? Do you think he woke up by now?” Mr. Yamada understood that he meant Youngjae.

                “I’m sure he’s alright. But I can’t say if he’s awake. He might not even remember all of this when he does,” the older man spoke again as if he were talking to someone else. Daehyun profoundly sighed. Maybe it’s better if he just thought this was all a dream.

                The two exchanged their goodbyes and gratitude. Daehyun quietly backtracked his way to the train station, hoping to see Youngjae intact and safe. Not far into his walk back, he spotted a vending machine on the sidewalk and was immediately reminded of their bickering earlier that morning. Curious, he stepped to its bright light and checked to see what was inside. The coffee that Youngjae wanted wasn’t anywhere to be seen in the rectangular box. He repeated the action for every vending machine he came across on his way back. None of them so far had that little can of caffeine.

                Just when he couldn’t get any more discouraged, he finally found one. Daehyun lost track of how many machines he went through to find it. He was just happy he could give this to Youngjae when was awake. Hopefully.

                   After using some of the change Mr. Yamada gave him for the train to buy the coffee, Daehyun spun on his heel, finally in a pleasant mood. He stopped himself halfway when he caught sight of someone eerily familiar. The person was running madly across the street.

                Was that?

                Youngjae?

                Daehyun followed the frantic figure from a distance. His denim jacket and mushroom hair and tall legs...that could only be Youngjae. Daehyun’s heart began to beat faster. He was alive. But where is he going? Suddenly swelled with concern, the singer stalked the other through the crowd. For a person who was unconscious, Youngjae was surprisingly alert; his legs appeared to be moving at a cheetah’s pace. Daehyun followed him at the same rapid pace, until he lost his breath. After all the running earlier, there was no way he could keep up with him. Looking around, he noticed that the shops around him were the very ones they saw before they arrived at the convenience store. There was only one place Daehyun could think of that Youngjae would remember to go to. Having no clues as to where he ran off to, it was his best shot.

                Walking briskly to the best of his memory, Daehyun arrived at none other than the green clock that Himchan notably said to meet up by. And there he saw him. Youngjae was practically collapsed on the ground, with his head against the metal pole. He was safe. And alive. The relief on Daehyun’s face was too grand to measure. He wanted to run out and throw confetti and celebrate and do all of these stupid things, but he stopped himself. For Youngjae to go the clock, it must have meant that he didn’t remember what had happened. Or maybe he was confused about everything. Daehyun would have been just as confused himself. Heck, he was still confused even after the interrogation.

                Maybe it’s better if he just thought this was a dream.  

                Maybe it’s better.

                He recalled all of the events that happened that day. Whatever he was a part of, whatever either he or Youngjae witnessed, never happened. He had to convince himself that he spent a normal day with his best friend. He had to do this for him. He prepared the scenario that he would act out. Daehyun took a steady breath and stepped into the light.  

                “Youngjae? I’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

 

 

A/N: I literally just typed this up, so if there's any inconsistencies, let me know! Thank you again to everyone who enjoyed the story! I'm still pleasantly surprised xD I'll be working on an even more elaborate fic in the near future. Thank you for your support I truly appreciate it!