Part 2

The Adventures of Daehyun and Youngjae in Japan

Youngjae stood motionless in horror. He couldn’t feel his body. He was trembling everywhere. He couldn’t register what he had just witnessed.

               They..ing kidnapped Daehyun. They took him. The words would not process in his mind. His breathing became painful and he started feeling sick everywhere, anxiety spewing from every direction of his being. His head dizzied from numbness. Everything became blank. He needed to do something. But what??..

              Call.

              Shaking, Youngjae took out his phone. He’d call Yongguk first. At least Manager Kang and the team wouldn’t be suspicious about everyone splitting up this way. To his horror, it wouldn’t turn on. Dead battery?..You’ve got to be ting me. Why didn’t I charge it at the hotel?!

              Instinctively he ran back into the store but it was deserted. The elderly man reading the paper at the counter was gone. Even checking through the aisles, he was nowhere to be seen. Scared senseless, he exited, and found himself pacing back and forth on the street.

              What do I do? What do I do???

              Without his phone he couldn’t call the others. Even if he had another phone he didn’t memorize everyone’s numbers. He could ask for help, but wouldn’t know how or what to ask, he wasn’t prepared for this kind of situation. Should I backtrack to the others? Would that take too long? Nearly an hour had passed since they had split up, he didn’t know how far the others where. Should I ask for emergency help? Do I really want the whole team to be involved?  He wasn’t even sure who he was dealing with here. He then remembered Daehyun’s words from earlier.

              What if we see the Yakuza!?

              Good god no.

              That would be the worst case scenario.

               Youngjae wanted to just lie on the street. He wanted to cry. He wanted everything to reverse back. But he remained on the street, frozen and alone.

              Just when every option in his head seemed futile, Youngjae heard footsteps from down the alley. Startled, he quickly slinked back to the convenience store and fearfully hid behind the door. He risked a peep through the crack to see who it was.

              A tall businessman wearing a mask, similar to that of the kidnappers’ driver, looked into the lane. Youngjae pulled the door just a pinch closer to his body, afraid he would see him. The man removed his mask and casually placed it into the silver briefcase he was holding in his right hand. And just as casually he continued walking over to the next block.

              Is he going to where they took Daehyun? Clenching his fist against the door, Youngjae decided to follow him. It was a stupid idea, but he didn’t have any other plan.

              Doing his best to keep his composure, he took his first step back out and began stalking the man at a safe distance, making sure he was in his line of sight at all costs. Youngjae’s entire being became shot with adrenaline. Every turn they took, and crosswalk they passed, his heart would beat all the faster. He would look the other way, or pretend to read signs whenever the man glanced back. He would let others walk before him if he got too close. Had he been any other person, he would think the whole thing was thrilling. But this wasn’t like one of the video games they played back at the dorm. This was real. He had to keep reminding himself of that.  

              Youngjae had successfully followed him to the subway station. The jittering in his body wouldn’t stop, but he had to keep going. They arrived at a row of ticket machines. Youngjae nervously strained his eyeballs to see what the man was entering on his screen and mimicked accordingly. He used the change from earlier this morning and whatever other coins were in his pocket to pay the total. A white ticket was printed from the machine’s slot and with a shaking hand he took it. Youngjae had no idea what he was doing. He had no idea what propelled him to be there. The voice in his head kept yelling profanities about all the wrong that was happening. But he followed him still.

              It was until they passed the ticket gates where he really started to panic. The crowd in the station was dense. And it didn’t take long for Youngjae to lose sight of his adversary.  He scanned the area from left to right but there was no sign of him.

              Crap.

              Youngjae helplessly swallowed back a growing lump in his throat. The whole world was against him today. Not a single soul was on his side. As much as he wanted to give up right then and there, the flowing crowd pressured him forward. His feet eventually took him to the station platforms. Small clusters of people were patiently waiting for their designated train to arrive. There was quiet chatter around him. Everyone knew where they were going. Everything here was disturbingly orderly. Youngjae could not have felt more out of place. He could barely read his own ticket. He had no idea what to do. Lost and disheartened, he wandered in circles until he spotted a worn-down bench and slumped on it.

              Youngjae closed his eyes. He was hoping to block out everything around him. But even under dark lids, all he could feel was terrible anxiety. It amazed him how quickly things fell out of place. He just wanted a coffee this morning. Now he was worried for his dear friend’s life. As well as his own.

              I’m so sorry.

              I’m sorry I was such an .

              I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you.

              He suddenly missed his dorky banter. His terrible jokes.  His husky voice. The way he tilted his head whenever he did something questionable. His ridiculous way of showing affection. Everything. Youngjae didn’t want to think about what those thugs were going to do to him, if they were planning anything at all. He just wanted Daehyun safe. Alive. Returned.

              Please be alright.

              Please.

              The sounds of shuffling broke through Youngjae’s train of thought and brought him back to reality. His eyes mechanically darted around now that the adrenaline kicked back in again. Unusually, his side of the station seemed void of humans. It was oddly clear. Then, from the corner of his eye, he caught sight of them.

              Masked men. About 5 or 6 of them. Youngjae was too tense to count. They were grouped to his right discussing something. Was it getting warmer in here? Beads of sweat started to form on his forehead. He abruptly jerked his head back, fearful of catching their attention with his stares. Once again, people began flocking to the station. The group removed their masks, as if on cue to hide their diabolic secret. Among the few arriving to the area just so happened to be the businessman from earlier. Youngjae held his breath.

              As he suspected, the man joined the others in their discussion. Youngjae desperately wanted to know what they were talking about. He feared it might have to do with Daehyun.  Minutes into the meeting, one of the men, dressed in a long tan trenchcoat, excused himself and left for the restroom. The discussion adjourned for the time being and the group members became surprisingly remiss. Youngjae exhaled, feeling his heart beat profoundly. He bit his lip back, trying his best to get his brain to think.

              What would cop Youngjae do? He would infiltrate the group. He would earn their trust. And he would betray them to save Daehyun. Yes, that’s what he would do. But he wasn’t the sly cop from the One Shot music video. No. He was a singer lost in another country. A singer who was getting himself into more trouble than he should have. Youngjae pressed his palm against his forehead in frustration.

              Think!

              He glimpsed to his right. The group didn’t seem to have their guard up. There were lots of people around to shield him from sight. If he was going to do something, now would be the time.   

              I think...I have to use the bathroom. The lie kept running through his head as he got up from the bench and soundlessly made his way to the restroom.

              Containing his nerves, he closed the door behind him. It was a small clean space. The lights were a bright yellow. There were 5 urinals and 4 stalls. One stall was occupied. There was no turning back now

              On one of the sinks in front of him lay the man’s trenchcoat, messily bundled up. If he was doing what Youngjae thought he was doing, he was going to be in that stall for a while. Youngjae carefully tip-toed to the sink to closer inspect the coat. He checked the pockets. In the right pocket was the white mask that he grew to despise throughout the day. The marble sized eye-holes made his insides turn over. He set it aside. In the left pocket he found a crumbled piece of notepaper. Curious, he unfurled it. There was just a short sentence. He read the messy scribbles in his head. And at the end he whispered the last characters to himself.

              Roppongi, Tokyo.

              Roppongi? That sounded vaguely familiar. Youngjae pulled out his train ticket and as he suspected a couple of the characters matched. What are they planning here?

              From behind him there was a sudden shuffling of feet which made the displaced singer jump. Internal panic ensued. But instead of collapsing into hysteria, by some higher power, his hands took the items in front of him and acted promptly.  By the time the outsider entered the bathroom, Youngjae had placed the white mask on himself and slipped the large trenchcoat on as well. Through the bleak, narrowed vision he identified the person as another masked man. Instantly he caught his attention. Youngjae’s nerves had reached a new peak, but he couldn’t back out now. The figure beckoned to the disguised singer and said simply, “We have to go.” Youngjae mustered up a short nod and followed the man out of the restroom, giving no attention to the original trenchcoat owner who was still occupying the stall.

              By the time the two reached the group, the train had arrived. On cue, masks came up to cover faces. The terminal was deserted again, which made the act seem all the more sinister. In single file, the masked man entered the open car. Youngjae was the last to enter and sat adjacent to the one he followed. Before he even realized it, the train began to move, giving him no time for regrets. A deep breath was exhaled. He tried to make himself comfortable in his seat, but there was no comfort in being a spy surrounded by enemies. As the train got faster, his inner restlessness continued to grow. But no matter what he felt, no matter what worries he had piling up, he knew one thing was certain. He had a clue. In his pocket was the paper note with the address, which he gripped onto fiercely. He was going to save Daehyun.

 

----

 

              The icy chill of the floor and the hum of distant chatter was the first thing Daehyun noticed when he opened his eyes. Everything was dark and nothing was familiar around him. His body was ravaged in sores, causing him to groan out suddenly. Woozily, he rolled onto his chest, pressed his palms down and tried to lift himself up, but the unexpected pain was too much to bear. He slowly faltered back to his original position for some time. Then realization hit him like a slap to the face.

              Where the hell am I? Those people took me. But they didn’t kill me. And they didn’t rob me..yet. His breathing suddenly became hitched from thinking. What am I even doing here? Why did they take me??

              The more he questioned, the more pain shot through his body. He took a quick glance around. It was too dim to see. He tossed around and caught eye on one thing and one thing only: bars. Tall vertical bars were in front of him. Is this a cell? Am I in jail? Fear now crept into his throat. Fingers shaking, he brought his hands over his body. The air suddenly felt dryer, almost suffocating. He was too afraid to shout for help, and even if he could his body wouldn’t let him. Daehyun winced his eyes shut, curling himself for warmth, wishing over and over for his own safety. It was the only thing he could do.

              Moments later, a click noise was made from across his cell. The lights were , and brightness flooded into the room. The room, which he could now see, was a big cluttered basement. He couldn’t observe for long since someone was making their way to the cell. Alert, Daehyun scrambled for the back wall and scooted against it as if the mass of the cement would protect him. A man wearing a white mask approached the dingy cell bars. Daehyun instantly recognized him as the person responsible for his kidnapping. Fear was now replaced by rage.

              “Let me go!” he shouted, surprised at his own demand. He made sure the anger was furrowed clearly into his eyebrows. But of course the two didn’t speak the same language so no response was made from his captor. The blank expression on his mask made the singer uneasy on top of his frustration. Cutting the silence, another pair of feet was heard from across the room. The masked man turned around and greeted a short elderly man with a deep bow. Daehyun’s eyes went wide when he saw his face.

              The old man from the convenience store?

                For the next several minutes the two spoke rather expressively about something important. Daehyun remained quiet the whole time, watching them with vigilant eyes. He couldn’t understand much of it, if not all of it, which made him all the more nervous. At one point they had a lively debate. Gestures and pointing were made at Daehyun. He could pick up the words “money” and “service” but before he could decipher more, the conversation ended just as quickly as the two arrived, and the singer was once again left back in the dark.

              Are they trying to sell me? Make me a slave? He sat on the ground, confused and fearful of what was going to happen to him next. He swallowed back a painful lump in his throat.

              If there is a next for me.

 

 

 

A/N: Here's the next part~ I might split it into 4 parts (maybe not I'll see) so it's halfway through. 
Thanks to everyone for subbing! This is my first chaptered fic so it means a lot! Even though I'm a bad writer lol. 

I might edit these later since I wrote them a while ago xD Thank you again!