Umbrella (1)

Umbrella

“It’s miserable,” she mumbled as she peeked out of the shelter of her front door. It was pouring rain and the grey alleyway was even bleaker than usual.

“It is, isn’t it?” her neighbour responded, appearing at her side, carrying a brightly colored umbrella. He usually showed up like that on rainy days, a smile lighting up his face and an umbrella in hand. And today was no different as they began walking to the bus shelter.

“I hate the rain,” she always said.

“The rain hates you too,” he always responded, albeit a little childishly.

When they reached the bus shelter, he bid her good-bye and turned to walk away, before she called out, “Thank you.” He gave another smile, turning back to her as she continued. “You always walk with me, and I’ve realized I’ve never properly thanked you. You always manage to brighten my day, even when it’s this dreary. So…thanks.” In one fluid motion, he dropped his umbrella and pulled her into a hug. When he pulled away after a couple of seconds, she mumbled, “So, I, uh, heard it’s going to rain again tomorrow. Wanna walk again?” He hummed in response, nodding before picking up his umbrella and waving good-bye.

The next morning, after again poking her head out of her door, she was surprised to find the alleyway dry. She could hear the rain falling, yet not a drop touched her. She looked up to inspect the sky to ensure that her ears weren’t playing tricks on her, only to have her view of the sky blocked by a multi-coloured shield of umbrellas. Laughter bubbled up from as she examined the umbrellas closer. She knew exactly who did this. Smiling brightly, she walked across the alley to her neighbour’s door, quickly knocking on his door. As soon as the door opened, she began gushing about the umbrellas and enveloped him in a large hug, her voice muffled in the fabric of his shirt.

“Feel like repeating that?” he chuckled, pulling out of the hug, “I didn’t catch any of that.”

“I said,” she giggled, “Thank you. I love the umbrellas.”

“The umbrellas love you too,” he laughed, ruffling her hair.