The Blood Wall of Love

The Blood Wall of Love

 

 

She was just walking down the street from work like any other day, only that events twisted to the wrong way on that very day.

 

Not far away a case of store burglary happened and amidst the cat and mouse chase between the last burglar and the police, she was grabbed as a hostage with a  gleaming pocket knife pressed to her neck. She thought the worst of the situation and widened her eyes as she scanned through the crowd. All they did was shunning away from the situation, fearing for their own lives.

 

Then, she had a thought in urgency "If someone could just step out now to save me, I would repay him for the rest of my life." She almost dare not breathe, feeling as if would just slit open any time. As the burglar pushed her into a nearby car which he had conveniently broke the window, she lost all hope of living.

 

But just as the engine was started, a man ran towards the front of the car. 

 

"Let her go. I'll be your hostage in exchange"

 

The burglar did not comply initially but even as he press the accelerator to full speed, the man refuse to budge. Out of exasperation and the need to leave before the cops catch up, the burglar had no choice but to let her go and pushed the man into the car.

 

 

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

Days later, she was called to the station to leave a statement only to be informed that the burglar had been captured. It was then she heard that the one that saved her was a plain-clothes policeman who was off duty at that time and had been in the area.. She visited him at the hospital and only then took a closer look at him.

 

He was tall but not over lanky. His build was someone of relative strength and his palms showed a kind of assurance. He had a defined jawline, a determined person. Then she recalled the sparkle in his eyes when he stopped infront of the car on the day of the incident. It was like he was determined, fierce yet worried at the same time. 

 

As he regained consciousness after surviving multiple stab wounds, she was the first sight that greeted him.

 

"Are you alright?" His first sentence was directed out of concern for her.

 

And it was as if she was worried of losing something, she blurted "I know you are not attached ... Let's get married!"

 

"We don't even know each other names yet" He chuckled. "I'm Zitao, Huang Zitao."

 

She blushed and meekly took his handshake after introducing herself, wondering how could this man still smile after being through such a traumatic experience to save someone he didnt know. Even if he was a cop and carry certain responsibilities, she was still amazed by his positiveness.

 

 

***************************************************************************************************************************

 

They got married not long after, but after the initial stage of just-wedded sweetness was not as beautiful as she expected. The unexpected calls in the middle of the night, the companion next to her that would rise and leave as she was still asleep, the man that would disappear for hours once he was on a operation. She knew it was part of the job that Zitao carried, and that a heroic husband like him was what make her want to marry him in the first place. But as time passed, the endless worrying and sleepless nights without him by her side was starting to take a toll on her.

 

She tried to ask Zitao to change a job, or many just transfer to another department where he would not have to go outfield on operations but he would only gave her a kiss and a hug and never talk about the topic again. After countless tries, she started to wonder did she make a right choice in marrying him in the first place?

 

Years of such agony, stress, worry, she was starting to break apart. She love him, and there were of course days they were just like any other loving couple where Zitao would pamper her with the love she needed. But the bubbles of happiness are always short-lived the moment his phone would ring and he would apologise but promptly left. She could not deal with it anymore. After much consideration, she used the excuse of going back to her family who were now staying in the States and bought tickets.

 

"Let's get a divorce, Zitao ah. I can't take this anymore, this constant worrying for you and you don't even take in my pleas for changing a job. What if we got kids someday? Am I supposed to take care of our child alone?" Holding back her tears for the fear of not doing this till the end, she put the divorce papers on the table.

 

Zitao phone rang again at this time and he was going to rushed out again only to be stopped by her.

 

"You can leave but please sign this first, please let me go Zitao ah I beg of you" She held onto his arm and cried.

 

Zitao could only grant her wish and signed.

 

 

From the window, she could see him entering a police car with four more others trailing behind. Her heart crunched a little knowing that this was going to be a big operation. She decided to make sure he was safe for the last time before leaving him, leaving this place for good. She drove quickly to follow the police cars. From a distance, the car with her husband in it was hot on trail of the targeted vehicle. It was like a car racing competition with them battling along the cramped roads.

 

As the gunshots stopped, it signalled that the criminals had ran out of bullet. The vehicle was also blocked by the police car from the front. Both like crickets in battle, each standing sturdy on their own territory in silence, preparing to attack any moment.

 

It was as if Zitao knew she was nearby, he turned and their eyes met. Her eyes was overflowing with tears. For what reasons he was not sure but she sure looked like she was afraid of the situation he was in. 

 

In the blink of an eye, the targeted vehicle took a sudden acceleration and swiftly turned into the alley towards her car with all it's speed. The criminal had followed Zitao's eyes and recognized her immediately as his beloved wife. No policeman would risk his own family's life.  At this precise moment, the criminal moved forward in its fastest acceleration in her direction and the surrounding people opened up in shock and fear for the vehicle. She just sat there quietly and calmly as if she knew what was to come, her eyes not leaving Zitao.

 

 

BANG!

 

 

Flames shot up in the air and black clouds of smoke was filling up the dead silence. Only her cries could be heard as she fall to the ground leaving her driver's seat. She could not stop screaming the name of her loved one, her Zitao, as the divorce papers in her hands flew up and away along with the wind.

 

"NOOOOOO! TAO! Zitao ah...... noooooo! Please Tao....please come back....!!!"

 

 

As the criminal was advancing on her, Zitao had sped up towards the targeted vehicle direction in full speed too and crashed into it before it reaches her. The force of both vehicles was too large and both engines had exploded into flames almost immediately. She came out of the car only to fall as her knees weakened. Seconds turned minutes as she waited for him to walked out of the mess or appear next to her like everything is fine and that they would be fine. But all the wait was useless, those are just scenes on dramas. He was never coming back.

 

 

She could never had imagine that they would part in such tragedy. She could not understand then that when Zitao saved her the very first time was due to love at first sight or out of responsibility. She could not understand that this very time when he saved her again was it love? Responsibility? or to give their very special first meet a final beautiful love ending?

 

A colleague of his had told her that he applied for transfer some months ago but procedures are usually long due to many protocols. Zitao did not mention anything before it was finalised and had wanted it to be a surprise for her. 

 

She then realized, Zitao had loved her. No matter how she had treated herself or treated him, he wholeheartedly love her, even more than his own life. In this world, there is nothing more precious than living, nothing more moving than love. She hit her own chest as if to imprint more heartaches on herself as she cried his name over and over again and that she should not have treated him that way. How much regrets she had to carry now because of her mistakes and selfishness that caused him to finish his life journey like this for her. If she had known this would happen, she would treasure every moment they have togething. 

 

 

But "Ifs" will always be just "Ifs". All this would disappear and there was no way she could get them back. Zitao is gone. Memories are what she had left.

 

 

The only love she ever knew was this blood wall of love.

 

 

 

***************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

I'm sorry I made Tao died in this fic :/

 

Let me explain what is the blood wall of love! Its something like a kind of love where one would use his or her own life to protect the one they love. Its all-giving, theres no returns, which what makes this kind of love sacrifices beautiful yet sad at the same time.

 

 

Thanks for reading!

 

XOXO