♡ Ch. 5

Save You

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Junhyung asked Kikwang when he entered the office building. “Probably the same reason as to why you’re here?” Kikwang returned the question, moving to the side to let him pass. Junhyung smiled, “Yeah, probably. Parents force me to come. They think their divorce can have a negative impact in my life” “Oh. I’m sorry. Did they just get divorce?” “No. I was a kid when they separated, but you know parents...” Kikwang couldn’t help chuckle, even Junhyung smiled.

“Well, I’m all done here. See you later” Kikwang said, Junhyung nodded and waved. Kikwang stepped out of the building and stretched his hands. “Divorce huh?” He shook his head, if only his parents divorce was the reason he went came to visit Dr. Young.

“Kikwang?” Kikwang turned around and saw Min walking towards him, a Coffee Bean cup in her hands. “Good morning” He greeted her cheerfully, he usually felt better after talking about his problems to someone who wasn't allowed to repeat what he said to anyone else. The nightmares he had as a kid had suddenly returned and talking to someone about it made them less of a problem. He could say that he had learned to live with what happened as a child, but his new fear of people finding about his past had taken over. Dr. Young had offered that maybe Kikwang should talk to someone other than Dongwoon, but Kikwang wasn't confident enough to do that. He liked it here and he didn't want to get pushed away again. He honestly felt like he wouldn't be able to handle it. Dr. Young gave great advice, but the main problem was that Kikwang wasn't ready to follow it. 

“What’s so good about it? It’s barely 9am and it’s hot as f-” Kikwang put a hand over . Min rolled her eyes and shoved his hand away. Kikwang chuckled and pointed at her coffee. “Is that why you got an iced coffee?” “Duh. Who can drink something hot in this weather” “Did you drop Junhyung off?” Kikwang asked, thinking that it was strange to see her in this part of town. “I did” She furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at the building. “Do you come here too?” “Rarely, but yes”

“Are you going somewhere right now?” He interrupted before Min decided to ask. She shook her head, “No. Why?” Kikwang nodded his head forward, “There’s an arcade nearby. Want to join me?” Min glanced at the building, but then nodded. “Sure”

-

“You’re obviously cheating!” “Quit whining. Be a man!” Min yelled back, pushing the buttons with all her might. “You came here before didn’t you? You have some sort of mutual agreement with the owners don’t you?” Min let out a laugh, “Stop with your ridiculous speculations and focus on the game. That’s why you’re losing!”

Kikwang let out a breath and put his hands up in defeat. “I’m done. I’ve wasted 2 bucks trying to avenge my deaths” “Is your dignity only worth 2 bucks?” Kikwang shot her a playful glare, making Min laugh again.

“You’re actually mean when you’re not being Ms. Prez” “Am I? Well don’t tell anyone, it can cost me votes” Kikwang laughed, Min looked away from the screen to catch his charming eye smile. “Oh damn” Min mumbled when she heard her character let out a final yell. “I’m going to get some quarters. Guard the machine” Min said, avoiding looking at Kikwang. She didn’t want to admit the effect he had on her or even think about it. It was different than being with Junhyung and that was all she was going to tell herself. Min sighed as she picked up her change.

“This boy, I told him to keep guard”, Min mumbled when she saw two kids playing the game she was playing before. “Where did he go?” She walked around the arcade and furrowed her eyebrows when she saw him at the claw machines. “Oh! That ones cute!” Min saw around 3 girls surrounding him. “Is it?” Kikwang said softly, keeping his focus on the game. 

Min scoffed, “He left my game unattended for some girls?” She sighed and walked towards the vending machines. She punched in her choice of drink and tapped her fingers as she waited for the can to drop.“Why is this bothering me?” She asked herself, glancing back at the girls who were now cheering. She sighed and leaned her head on the vending machine. She knew shy she was bothered, but she couldn’t acknowledge it. Min’s face flushed in embarrassment as she thought about it.

“No. Snap out of it” Min said, hitting her head. “You okay?” Min jumped and hit her head on the machine hard. “Ow!” She pouted and rubbed her head. Kikwang laughed and put a hand on her head, rubbing it softly. “You okay?” He asked softly, Min brushed him off and patted her hair down. “I’m fine. I have to go pick up Junhyung now” She said, glancing at the clock on the wall. Kikwang frowned, but nodded. “Okay, I’ll see you at school then”

“Later" Min walked past him, but stopped when she felt something soft in her hand. She looked at the small black cat in her hand and gave Kikwang a questioningly look. “Consider it your prize since you beat me in the last game” “So little?” Kikwang scoffed, “It was all I could get” Min smiled and touched his arm, “Thank you” Kikwang sighed and nodded to the direction of the entrance, “Go on. Your boyfriend is waiting. I'll see you at school ” He said, walking away toward another set of machines.

Min frowned and looked down at the stuffed animal.  “Yeah, my boyfriend” It was the first time Min felt strange hearing the term, but it was accurate right? Junhyung was her boyfriend and she loved him. She stepped out of the arcade, but looked back inside. She watched Kikwang playing a round of air hockey with one of the girls that had surrounded him at the claw machines. She tightened her grip on the stuffed animal and threw it on the floor, then walked away. 

"Sorry, cutie. It's Kikwang's fault, not yours. I don't even know why I did that" She mumbled to herself as she ran back and picked up the black cat. She dusted it off and stalked off, putting aside her ridiculous feelings. 

-

“Junhyung, you’re staying for dinner aren’t you?” Min’s mother asked, Junhyung looked at her in disbelief. “You’re actually giving me choice to reject your invitation?” Min’s mother thought for a bit, “Ugh. Something must be wrong with me, hope you like lasagna” Min chuckled at her mom’s playfulness and focused back on the tv.

“You’re mother seems more cheerful than usual” Junhyung said, stretching his arms. “New boyfriend or good week at work. I can never distinguish those two” Min said. She and her mother had a very good relationship with each other, despite her mother having a job out of the state. Ms. Lee was a journalist for a well-known fashion magazine. Her office was located out of the state in Nevada, but they do constantly message and call each other. She in the process of returning to California, but it wouldn't be for another few weeks. Min considers her mother her best friend and her mother has always trusted Min and given her reasonable freedom. It had only been half a year since her mother left, but Min was honestly glad that she was trying hard to move back in with her. She needed her around and Ms. Lee has always felt guilty and terrible for leaving her daughter alone. She was thankful that Junhyung was around and that kept her from worrying so much. Min didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. She decided to talk to her about once she was back home. 

As for her father he wasn't a topic she liked to talk about. He was gone and that was that. Min’s parents were never truly together, in fact a few months after she was born Ms. Lee kicked Min’s father out of the house for his violent nature. Unfortunately Min’s father still had some parental rights at that time. That is until he took it too far and was finally arrested for beating his only daughter. The only one who ever knew about that scary situation was Junhyung, who back then helped her get over her trauma. 

Min understood that a small part of wanting to help Junhyung with his depression was to repay the favor, but always went back to thinking that they had just been friends forever and it was obvious something would emerge from that friendship. It wasn't until high school that Junhyung had realized that Min was becoming a beautiful young woman and the tomboy he used to catch grasshoppers with was long gone. He had asked her out the summer before Min entered High School. Min had always been the cheerful and active one, while Junhyung was more relaxed and quiet. Everyone who knew them since they were young said that they complimented each other well. Opposites attract after all. 

Things of course changed. After Junhyung was elected President of the Sophomore Class, Min began to see less and less of him. There were also times when she overheard the girls in his class say that Junhyung was too intelligent and classy to be with the loud freshman. Min ignored them at first. She knew they were jealous and if they truly did their research they would've found out that Min was the top of her class as well. 

Junhyung was never that bubbly or energetic, but Min had known him long enough to know that he was becoming even more reserved as his responsibilities grew. His top classes, his position and the extra work his mother made him do was driving him to the brink of exhaustion. Whenever he did have time to be with her, he was usually sleeping on her shoulder or worrying about his tasks. Min honestly believed they weren’t going to last long. She was afraid that the person she felt safe with was going to turn around and walk away from her.

It was after the Vice President incident that she decided to run for the following year. The Vice President of Junhyung’s class was a smart pretty girl named Jihyun, who made no effort to hide her interest in him. During a fundraiser event at a bowling alley, Min was taken back when she saw Jihyun giving Junhyung a shoulder massage. Jonhyung was never a touchy person, so it truly shocked her. Min walked to the girls’ bathroom for a bit, splashing water on her face and not allowing a single tear to come out of her eyes. In that moment she realized if she wanted to be around him and close to him, she had to become part of the Student Body. People loved her, she had the grades and she was a great listener. All she needed was the passion and after seeing Jihyun she had a sudden spark to show everyone that she was worthy of being with him.

Min dried her face and stepped out of the bathroom feeling more confident than ever. She walked straight towards Junhyung, ignored Jihyun’s surprised look and sat right on her boyfriends lap. Junhyung was shocked when she pressed her lips to his and kissed him right in front of everyone. Min pushed Jihyun’s hands off his shoulders and wrapped them around his neck, then pulled away. “I’m running for class President next year. Do I have your support?” Still dazed Junhyung nodded and Min gave him a sweet smile before kissing him again.

Fast forward 2 years and Min became the still friendly, but a lot calmer President she was now. The work stressed her out, but she was happy to be near Junhyung. After his suicide attempt during Winter Break his junior year,  Min was thankful of her energetic personality. She couldn’t understand how she could take care of him, her tasks, sometimes his tasks, without messing up. Sadly, Min was slowly falling apart herself. She began to doubt the love she had for him. She knew that he would always be someone she loved and cared for, but did she really love him like a boyfriend? Or the man she would want to spend the rest of her life with? Every time she thought of it she felt a pang of guilt. If he weren’t like this, would I still feel the same? She would ask herself, then feel terrible for even thinking that. She wasn’t with him because she felt sorry for him. Min was with him because she loved him.

“Junhyung you’ve been reading that textbook for two hours, take a break!” Ms. Lee yelled from the kitchen. When Junhyung didn’t look up, Min hit him over the head. “You heard her! Your brain is going to explode one day” Junhyung rubbed his head and swatted her leg. “That hurt!” “That hurt too!” Min yelled, hitting him again. Junhyung closed his book and smirked up at Min. “Oh no. Don’t!” Junhyung stood up from the floor and began his revenge. “Stop!” Min yelled, laughs coming out of .

“Junhyung, stop tickling my daughter to death and come eat” Ms. Lee shouted again. Junhyung chuckled and kissed her lightly before getting up. “Coming!” Junhyung said cheerfully. Min stayed on the couch, recovering from the tickle attack. Before getting up, she smiled and couldn’t help feel automatically happy that Junhyung’s playful self still existed.

I only wish it lasted.

 


An unhealthy relationship without a doubt.

Took a little break and updated with a new chapter. This has Min's background along with her relationship with Junhyung.

Let me know what you think down below :D