♡ Ch. 3

Save You

Min couldn’t wait to go home and take a nice cold shower. Summer was truly trying to go out with a bang. After getting out of the car, she noticed a familiar black sedan in the neighbor’s parking lot. She took out her phone and texted Junhyung.

When did she arrive?

Min waited outside until he texted back

She was here when I got home.

Which meant the poor boy was up in his room studying for courses he might never take. Min quickly went inside and changed out of her uniform. It was around 8pm, but she couldn’t leave him locked up in there. She changed into a pretty dress and put her long hair in a ponytail before going next door.

“Mrs. Yong, I saw your car outside and wanted to come greet you. I haven’t seen you in a while” Min said in her best polite voice. Mrs. Yong smiled and pulled her into a hug, “Min, you’ve gotten so pretty. You’re hair keeps getting longer and longer, like your mothers. Please come in” Min stepped inside the house, keeping her plastered smile.

“I’m sorry it’s late, but I’m a bit stuck on my homework and wanted to see if Junhyung could spare me a few minutes?” Mrs. Yong glanced up and smiled, “Of course he can. You go on up. Top students must stick together” Min smiled and thanked her, bowing her head lightly. “I’m very proud of you, Min. You and my son are remarkable students, what a perfect match” Min smiled again; “Thank you, if you don’t mind I’ll be heading up” “Of course dear. I’m going up to bed; I have a plane to catch in the morning. This is your home” Min bid her goodnight and went up the stairs.

Min knocked on Junhyung’s door and then turned the nob. “Hey” She called out, opening the door. Junhyung was sitting by his desk, “Hey, come in” She smiled and closed the door behind her. “How many times has she come up here?” She asked, setting down her books. “A lot. I lost count” He said with a tired smile. Min sighed and let herself fall on his couch. “Take a break, I brought you some snacks,” She said, taking out a bag of chips and a container filled with fruit from her purse. “Thanks” He said, walking over and siting down next to her. “She said she was going to bed, so right after I leave I expect you do the same” Min said, watching him put a piece of melon in his mouth. He nodded and continued to eat. That demented woman didn’t’ even let him eat until he finished studying the work she gave him.

Min came to the conclusion that Mrs. Yong was a terrible mother after Junhyung’s suicide attempt. She knew Mrs. Yong was strict, but after that incident she knew Mrs. Yong was at fault for Junhyung's depression. Instead of being heartbroken, she seemed bothered and annoyed. Her father was the same, but since they were divorced he stopped checking in a long time ago. Min felt like she was the only one crying in the hospital. All Mrs. Yong did was look impatiently at her watch.

While he ate, Min continued working on her chemistry homework. “I should get going”, She said, noticing an hour had passed. Junhyung had laid his head back and closed his eyes. Min noticed he placed the food containers back in her bag. “All right. Goodnight” He said, opening his eyes and looked over at her. “And thanks” He said leaning in and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Min smiled and nodded, “Any time. See you later” She said, standing up and collecting her things. Junhyung offered to walk her out, but Min gave him an order to go straight to bed. She kissed him on the cheek and closed his bedroom door behind her.

As she walked down the hall, she couldn’t help the gush of anger she felt when she saw Mrs. Yong door. She couldn’t wait for Junhyung to leave this house, away from this witch. If anyone deserves happiness, it’s Junhyung and Min was going to do her best to be there for him just like he has been there for her. Mrs. Yong wouldn't break him while she was around. 

-

“Do you actually go through all these papers?” Kikwang asked Min as she set down her stack of folders on her desk. “No. I have a secretary and vice president to help me”, She answered, sitting down and letting out breath of relief. “I need a break”, “School just started a month ago” Dongwoon said, taking a bite from his sandwich. “Yes thank you for letting me know that there are still months until the school year is over” Min mumbled, letting her head fall on the table. “Way to go, Dongwoon, you just stressed her out even more” Yoseob said, flicking Dongwoon with a piece of food. “What? I’m just being honest” “You could’ve said something like, you’ve survived a month, you can handle 8 more” Kikwang said, making Min groan. “That didn’t help did it?” Dongwoon, Kevin and Yoseob shook their heads. “I think you made it worse, Kikwang” Kikwang sighed, “Sorry”

Min raised her head, “All right, I need a break. Which one of you is coming with me to the pier for arcade time?” Min pointed at each of the boys, “Can’t”, Kevin said raising his hands up. “Me neither. I have a test tomorrow” Dongwoon pointed at Yoseob, “Same. I haven’t even opened the book we’re suppose to be tested on” “Ask Junhyung” “Junhyung is busy tonight. Something about Dongjoon and a party”

Kevin raised an eyebrow, “You’re not going?” Min shrugged, “I don’t know yet” “You should go, that way Kikwang will go. He needs to make more friends” Donwoon offered, earning a slap on the shoulder from Kikwang. “Thanks buddy for unintentionally calling me a loser” “Anytime” Dongwoon mumbled, rubbing his shoulder. “So you want to go?” Min asked Kikwang, who shrugged. “Sure why not?” “All right, you’re staying at Dongwoon’s right? I’ll pick you up at 6pm” Min said, standing up and grabbing her things. “You told her I was staying with you?” Kikwang asked Dongwoon. “Min knows everything” Yoseob said, “Seriously. She knows things that you probably don’t even know about yourself”, Kevin added. “They’re exaggerating” Dongwoon mumbled, knowing well that his past wasn’t something Kikwang wanted everyone to know.

“Of course we are, but Min for some reason is the person everyone confines in. Everyone seems to trust her with all their problems and therefore Min knows everything about them. She’s one of the most loyal people you will ever meet” Kikwang pursed his lips, it’s not that he didn’t believe Kevin, it’s just he never once felt comfortable with people knowing so much about him. 

“If it’s bothering you so much, why don’t you ask her if she knows”, Dongwoon asked his cousin when they began to clear off the table. “Will she tell me the truth?” “Kikwang, even if Min did know, she’s not going to gossip about it. Kevin’s right when he says she’s the most loyal person you’ll ever meet. Just ask if she knows why you transferred. The girl won’t beat around the bush and give you a straight out answer”, Kikwang sighed, “I’ll think about it” “Good, then maybe you’ll stop being so paranoid about people finding out and shunning you. I told you, it wont happen here” Though Dongwoon’s words helped him ease up Kikwang still held the slight panic of people turning against him.  It was a terrible thing to go through.

-

“Mind if I join you?” Kikwang asked. Min patted the couch next to her. “I thought you and Gayoon were hitting it off” Kikwang chuckled and leaned back on the couch. “Sort of. She completely brushed me off when Doojoon walked in though” “Huh” Min mumbled, wincing at the loud music.

“I’m guessing you’re not a party person?” Min yawned, making Kikwang chuckle at her scrunch up face. “I wouldn’t say that. I like partying as much as the next kid, but being class president has taken a lot of my free time and energy. I can't really enjoy them as much as I used to” “So why’d you become class president” Min shrugged, but she didn’t answer. “You don’t know or…”Kikwang trailed off, but Min shrugged again. “College. Parents” Kikwang frowned, disappointed with her answer. Min knows everything about everyone, but she won’t offer anything about herself. She seemed like a good person, but how can people trust her so easily?  

“Can I ask you something?” Min nodded, “Sure. What’s up?” She flinched again when she heard a few guys pass by yelling “shots!” She held up a hand “Wait here” She said, standing up and walking towards the kitchen. Kikwang waited and stood up when she came back. “Let’s go” Kikwang followed her outside. “We didn’t have to leave” “Oh we did. If I heard one more person throwing up I probably would’ve joined them” “Does Junhyung like these parties?” Min shrugged, “No really, but he does like hanging out with his friends and his friends like parties like these. Whatever makes him happy”

Min walked over to Junhyung’s car and unlocked the door. “Come on, let’s go somewhere quieter” Min ended up taking him to a small quiet café close by. “All right, now that we’re comfortably sitting in a place that doesn’t smell like alcohol and , what did you want to ask me?” Min said, setting down two cups of coffee on the table. Kikwang raised an eyebrow; he was beginning to think this was why so many people confined in her. It’s like she was always prepared for someone to come talk to her.

“Are you a psychologist?” Min raised an eyebrow, “Of course, didn't you know I have a masters in psychology?” Kikwang picked up his coffee, giving her an incredulous look. Min chuckled, then sighed and shifted uncomfortably in her seat “When I got elected President, I was really surprised. I went around asking everyone why they had chosen me. The majority answered that I was a person they could confide in. That I was a person who had a habit of taking care of people and I guess I kind of do” Min said shrugging, but Kikwang noticed her cheeks were flushed. He guessed she wasn't so comfortable talking about herself. “And who takes care of you, Min? Junhyung?” Min set down her cup and smiled softly “Sure. So what did you want to ask me?” Min asked, quickly changing the subject. Kikwang raised an eyebrow, but decided to go straight to the point. “Do you know why I transferred to your school?” “Yes” Min answered, taking a sip from her coffee. Kikwang waited for her to continue, but when she didn’t he spoke.

“So you know…about what I did?” Kikwang asked carefully. Min looked at him confused, “What you did? Do you want me to just tell you what your file said?” “You memorized it?” He asked suprised. Min rolled her eyes, “Of course not, but I do have a good memory. Do you want me to tell you or not?” “Sure. Go ahead” Min thought for a bit, “Okay. Kikwang Lee, transfer from some school in….” “New York” “New York, right” Kikwang snorted, “So much for a good memory” Min shot him a teasing glare and continued, “All it said was that you transferred because you were having problems with bullies. There is more, but only the school administration has access to the rest. You remember those restricted files I told you about? Well, that’s where the rest of everyone’s stories are at”

Kikwang watched her, but it didn’t seem like she was lying. “Okay” That meant that only Dongwoon knew the truth. He felt reassured that Min didn’t know the whole story, but another part of him was a bit disappointed. He believed that maybe if Min knew, he didn’t have to pretend to be okay. That he could be himself without feeling like he was betraying his friends. If he got close, he would eventually have to tell someone. If Min already knew there was nothing keeping him from being himself around her, but sadly she didn't know the whole truth. She only knew part of the story and Kikwang was not going to bother giving her the other part. He liked having Min as a friend and he wasn’t ready to push her away.

“Is that all you wanted to ask me?” Min asked and Kikwang smiled. “That’s all” Min nodded and stirred her drink. They were quite for some time, each slowly drinking their coffee. “So, do you like Los Angeles?” Min asked, getting a bit uncomfortable with the silence. “I’m not really new here. I lived in Los Angeles for a couple years before leaving to New York” “Did you? Dongwoon didn’t mention that” Kikwang nodded. Good.

“Yeah, I was born in New York, but moved here when I was 8, then moved back three years later. Have you always lived here?” Kikwang asked, changing the subject since he didn’t want to talk about himself. “Yes. I’ve lived in one house my whole life” “Dongwoon said Junhyung lives next to you” Min nodded, “Mhm. He’s lived there all his life too” Kikwang nodded, “So you’ve known each other all your lives?” “We have” “Are your parents friends or something?” Min chuckled, “Not really. Our mothers know each other from High School, but that’s it. They’re not really close. We just became friends because we went to the same school and lived next to each other”

“And then you fell in love with your best friend?” Kikwang said teasingly which made Min laugh, but she didn’t say anything. “I heard you are destined to take over the President’s spot next year” Min shrugged, “I suppose. If I get elected again” Kikwang noticed Min didn’t seem all that excited or interested. “You don’t want to be President?” Min hummed, “It’s not that. Everyone just expects me to be the President. They think I’ll be following in my dear boyfriends footsteps” “But if you don’t want to, why do it?”

Min let out a breath of air. Kikwang noticed that she wasn’t comfortable talking about it. “Being Class President has its benefits and I’m simply used to the stress. Are you finished?” Kikwang looked down at his drink and was surprise to see the cup empty. “Yeah” “Okay, I’ll give you a ride back” Min stood up and Kikwang followed suit.

“You know you don’t have to do what other people expect you to do, right?” Kikwang said when Min parked in front of Dongwoon’s house. Min smiled, but kept her head forward. “I know. Goodnight Kikwang” “Goodnight” Kikwang got out of the car and Min drove off. Kikwang watched her go and sigh, “Don’t even think about it Kikwang. That’s dangerous territory”, He told himself, before stepping into the house. 


 

Hm, wonder what Kikwang's secret is.. 

Fun fact: Mrs. Yong's character was inspired by Lee Hyo-Shin's (Kang Ha-Neul) mother from the TV Drama The Heirs/The Inheritors. Hyo-Shin was my favorite character so I hated that woman so much...

Lovely subscribers and commenters! Thank you for subscribing, reading and supporting this story <3