Temporary Bliss

Red String

"Of course I didn't forget Baekhyun. How could I?" I answered the confused Baekhyun who was now standing about five feet away from me.

He nodded in agreement and held out his hand for me as a gesture of helping me get up.

I gladly accepted it and dusted myself off.

Before we both turned around and walked away, I stared at the grave that had Baekhyun's name written on it once more.

I mouthed, "I'll visit you again next year."

With once last glance, I turned away from it and caught up to Baekhyun's side.

With outstretched arms he asked, "Now what shall we eat?"

I brought my finger up to my lips in a questioning manner and thought long and hard about what it exactly was it that I wanted to eat. I wasn't really craving anything at the moment and there were barely any stores on the way back.

It was then that the scent of barbecue crept up to my nose. It was delicious and overwhelming. I nudged Baekhyun in the arm and chattered about the wonderful aroma. Baekhyun had no idea what I was talking about and thought it was best if he kept silent. So I just grabbed his arms, locked it with mine, and led him wherever my nose took me.

We saw the smoke coming from the barbecue and ended up at a street festival. There was a crowd of people at every stall trying to get their fill on various Korean delicacies. It was hard to find the right one seeing there was so many to choose from and it could have been coming from anywhere. There was food everywhere and I didn't know what to choose at this point.

I kept my mind focused on locating only the barbecue and when Baekhyun and I finally managed to locate it, I bought about four sticks. Boy, was I hungry.

Baekhyun tried to order as well but the shopkeeper was too busy tending to the other customers. So when he finally had the opportunity to talk to him, Baekhyun tried ordering once more but was once again ignored.

I motioned to Baekhyun to come sit next to me and reminded him that he couldn't be seen by anyone except for me.

I'm pretty sure this bothered him although he acted as if it never phased him. There were small moments where he just forgot about his state but shook it off as if nothing had happened. This was no different.

He laughed, it was forged and uncertain, and sat next to me in silence. I continued eating my barbecue but felt disappointed that he couldn't have a bite.

I always thought our circumstance was weird but this time it was just plain awkward.

Baekhyun noticed this, got up, turned to face me and abruptly said, "I'm just going to go for a walk. I'll be back soon. Stay here alright?"

I nodded and Baekhyun hurriedly strolled off, not looking back, so I took this as an opportunity to see what the rest of the festival had to offer while collecting and sorting out my thoughts.

I saw happiness everywhere I looked. My head turned to the left to see a couple sharing a milkshake and I turned to my right to see a foreigner had just won his Korean girlfriend a Hello Kitty plush.

There was an abnormal amount of couples tonight and usually it wouldn't have bothered me, if only Baekhyun was by my side.

How I wish time could stop. Baekhyun and I could go back and replay all the wonderful memories we created together 5 years ago. It seemed like it was only yesterday that Baekhyun and I shared a milkshake like that couple or he won ME a stuffed toy from one of those impossible, demonic machines.

We shared countless memories with one another and each one was special. I reminded myself how things ended up like this and I completely lost it, right there in the midst of the crowd.

All the memories came flooding right back and before I knew it, I couldn't help stop the tears from forming and eventually falling. I stood there in the middle of the street, standing lifeless, surrounded by food stalls and laughter that wasn't coming from Baekhyun nor I.

I felt completely alone and I could only wish that he would come back sooner.

Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I looked up, surprised and excited at the thought that Baekhyun was perfect in his timing.

Just as I was about to playfully scold him for taking too long, I turned my head to see a peculiar, tall man with blond hair.

He was definitely tall, taller than Baekhyun, and had the look of stone-cold ice.

His manners were different, however, because he spoke with such softness, it almost brought me to tears once more.

"I noticed that you were having trouble there. Don't cry, you're much too beautiful for that," he said while wiping the tears from my eyes.

I couldn't really say anything. I stood there in a daze, not questioning this man nor running away from him.

"My name is Kris, and if you would like my company, I'll be happy to stay by your side for the meantime."

But what about Baekhyun?

What if he came back and saw me with another man?

Well, Baekhyun was just going to have to deal with it. Besides, he was the one who left me all alone. What was a girl supposed to do? Idly sit there, bored out of her mind, on the verge of tears?

I happily nodded and introduced myself to the stranger, now identified as Kris, and he began leading me through the crowd and towards a game stand.

It was a game where you were handed five darts and you were supposed to pop the balloons that stuck to the wall. If you were able to shoot down a certain amount, you'd win the grand prize.

The prize was certainly cute and I was determined to win it. I tried to pop the first balloon with the dart but to no avail, failed miserably.

Kris chuckled and got the second dart, positioned it into my hands and tried placing me at the perfect angle.

"Now just aim it right and...."

I wasn't even paying attention to what was happening around us or what Kris was even trying to teach me.

All I felt was his minty breath near my ear as he tried to match my height and his body enveloped mine faultlessly.

His hand entwined with mine, for the purpose of teaching me, but from a distance I was pretty sure we looked like a couple.

I snapped out of my contemplation and focused on what was happening.

With that, Kris finally pulled my hand back and helped me release the dart and I managed to hit the balloon.

I yelped in excitement and Kris urged me to try once more.

I placed my hand in the same position Kris had showed me, squinted one eye to get the perfect aim, and let go.

Sure enough, I hit the balloon and my confidence grew even more.

Kris noticed my tears were completely dry and saw I was having a good time so he ordered two more rounds of darts. If I was able to hit at least 10 out of the 15 that was given, I would be able to win the prize.

I was determined but when Kris realized that I had hit about 8 and missed 4, Kris got the idea of trying to mess me up.

Sure enough, his snarky comments and flirty phrases like, "Wow, you're definitely going to be on point tonight as well babe," caused me to blush and I missed which meant my score was now 8 to 5.

I kept laughing as I tried covering his mouth with my free hand to keep him from distracting me. If I missed one more, I wouldn't be able to win the prize and Kris was definitely going to pay for that.

Well, I mean technically he was the one who payed for all my rounds  so I wasn't in the correct position to be the one getting angry.

I finally got Kris in a muffled state and shot the balloon down. 9 to 5, just one more. I took this opportunity to shoot down the last balloon while I had Kris hushed.

I shot that one down as well and I grinned happily as I uncovered Kris' mouth.

"Definitely on point," he smirked.

His comments were so disrespectful but something about him wasn't exactly threatening. It was just the way he was, which reminded me of someone else who could also be super sweet yet mischievously flirtatious.

Baekhyun...

I panicked in my mind and thanked Kris for his company as I received my well-earned prize.

I saw in the corner of my eye, a ghostly figure.

I took the gigantic polar bear and turned to face the figure, which was at a safe distance from me but his frown was clearly seen.

Kris came up to me and looked towards where I was looking and suddenly became confused.

"Who are you looking for? There's no one there."

Baekhyun had a glare in his eyes, although he showed anger, I could tell deep inside that it was just sadness.

I ignored Kris and walked towards the light, vaporous figure. Kris called for me but I had no interest for the indistinctive shouts and waves I barely heard.

As I came closer to him, I could tell his spirit was fainting, and the light that once kept his soul intact, was slowly fading but I couldn't understand why.