Bouquet of Tulips

Red String

You lay still as you hear the morning chirps outside your window, signifying that this was certainly reality. Your heart still beating ridiculously fast, your breathing comes to a calm as soon as you realize it's just a dream.

You had woken up, terrified, consumed with fear that Baekhyun disappeared from your grasp while tears poured down your face.

You had woken up in a panic and now proceeded to calm down. You knew that he was probably downstairs but you were afraid it might turn out to be otherwise.

You covered your face with your hands as you let out a huge sigh. You got up, washed your face, combed your hair, and went downstairs.

There he lay on the couch, as beautiful as ever, his eyelashes luscious and long, his face filled with serenity, and his arms were folded across his chest.

You didn't want to wake him, so you quietly stepped into the kitchen to make something to eat. You couldn't care less about breakfast so you decided on making scrambled eggs and bacon, something you wouldn't normally eat but since it was fast and easy to make, it seemed like a formidable option.

You cooked each piece of bacon vigilantly, careful not to burn them, and as you were about to finish the last piece, you felt a pair of arms wrap around your waist and the familiar scent overpowered the smell of bacon.

There was no doubt that it was obviously Baekhyun. You slowly smiled and his face nuzzled into the crook of your neck and you could feel his smirk widen.

"Jagiya, it's your fault that I woke up. I was having such a nice dream too and now it's ruined since I woke up from all the noise. Now, how are you going to pay me back? You owe me.”

Baekhyun's words were slick but truthful. You could never figure out how someone could be so conflicting. The best thing to describe him would be a walking paradox.

He always said something that was potentially irritating but at the same time correct. You hated this about him but you also loved it. You accepted every part of Baekhyun as he did the same for you. You both learned to love each other for who you were ever since the day you both made 'the promise' about 5 years ago, which was how long you two had been together.

You were utterly in love with this man and there was not a single doubt in your mind that he felt the same. You gave him a peck on the cheek while asking, "This should be enough right?"

He shook his head and said while he gave a wink, "You're going to have to give me more than that if you want to get away from what I'm about to do to you."

You hated when Baekhyun said that. He could be so unpredictable. At times, he would tickle you or mess up your hair, other times when he would be feeling a little more bold, he would smother you in little kisses starting from your forehead, traveling to the base of your jaw line, and end at your collarbone. It drove you insane knowing that he had this kind of effect on you and it drove him to the edge knowing that he had this kind of power over you. You both balanced each other out, something that you both had been searching for your entire lives.

At this certain moment, you had no time to be playing mind games with Baekhyun and simply gave him what you knew he wanted. You planted a sweet yet playful kiss on his lips and told him that you had to swiftly finish eating and get ready.

He walked away satisfied and sat back down on the couch, crossed his legs on the coffee table, and put his arms behind his head to maintain his relaxing position.

You finished eating and started to get ready. You got dressed in a short black dress, put on a black button up coat, and black heels. You put a smudge of blush on your cheeks and a little bit of bottom eyeliner to finish off the look. You grabbed the car keys and almost stepped out the door when you remembered to grab the bouquet of tulips sitting on the countertop.

You drove your way to the hilltop, careful of the winding turns on the road, and thought about how long it had been since this person left earth.

You finally arrived, stepped out of your car, and made your way to the grave. You kneeled down in front of it and said, "It's been three years since that day happened. I still haven't forgotten about you, I mean it's hard to forget someone like you." You chuckled. "Not a single day goes by that I don't think of you. I'm fortunate that you're still here with me." You placed the bouquet of tulips on the grave and read the name on the tombstone aloud.

"Byun Baekhyun."

Just then, you felt a gust of wind blow along with a familiar presence. You looked down on the ground, smiled to yourself, turned your head to say,

"Why did you come this time?"

Baekhyun stood there with a faint confused look of innocence on his face, ruffled his hair, and looked away while saying,

"I thought you forgot the tulips."