The Landlord and the Pretty Boy

Prologue

 

Yoseob just finished his class for the day. He was on his way to the nearest coffee shop in school when he heard arguments along the hallway. He saw a bunch of university girl students crowding the narrow hallway. They seemed to be blocking someone who wants to pass through.

 Oh, come on! A bunch of girls ganging up on another girl? In the university? Isn’t that something that only happens in grade school and high school?

He shook his head as he decided to just leave the place. She’s a big girl, I’m sure she can handle that. He was about to take another step forward when the laughter from the girls made him stop. He heard their conversation.

“No! We will not let you pass through this hallway if you don’t do as I say.”, said the first girl.

“And don’t forget what I am asking. I want to hear a YES”, said the other girl. She saw them giving each other a high-five then they both laughed.

Yoseob tried to listen to what the poor girl was saying but he could not hear her voice. He tried to listen again.

“Show me first! You have to show me THAT first, then I’ll tell you where it is”, threatened the other.

Yoseob couldn’t take the bullying anymore so he went straight ahead and shouted at the girls.

“YAH!! “ The girls all turned to his direction, they forgot about their bullying and paid attention to him.

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing? Bullying someone in the broad daylight? What are you, 10-yr old kids?!  Aren’t you ashamed of yourselves ganging up on an innocent little…what the hell are you doing here?!?”

He was nagging the girls when he turned his direction to the person being bullied except that…the person does not look anywhere near innocent and… definitely not a girl.

“Yoseob-ah? “

“Gi Kwang?” Yoseob’s eyes almost bulged out from his eye sockets. Gi Kwang was also surprised by Yoseob’s sudden attack on the girls that he was still holding his shirt up showing his six-pack abs. Yoseob had to shake his head a few times to regain his sanity. Was…was he just flashing his abs?

“Yoseob-ah!”, Gi Kwang gave him a tight hug which almost knock the air out of him.

“I didn’t know you’re going in this school. It’s nice to see you again! Why didn’t you tell me you’re going here?” Gi Kwang was smiling from ear to ear.

“Yah! It’s not that I actually wanted to go here. It was my parents who decided on that. And what are you doing flashing your abs in front of these ladies?”

Yoseob and Gi Kwang were classmates in high school. They pretty know each other well.

“Hey!” said the first girl, making the two guys turn their attention to her. “I’m sorry but we are not yet done with your friend right here”, she said, eyeing Gi Kwang  flirtingly. She turned to Gi Kwang, “We unfortunately didn’t get to see your abs because you’re friend right here went berserk. So show us first your abs and I’ll tell you where the Admissions Office is.”

“That’s right. Also, I’m asking you out for a movie date. Only if you say YES will I let you pass through this hallway”, said the other.

Yoseob slapped his forehead. Oh! So that’s what they mean by that? And I thought they were bullying him. Well, they actually were bullying him- just in a flirty kind of way.

“Gi Kwang, I know where the Admissions Office is. Come with me.” And they both stormed out the place leaving the girls completely disappointed.

Yoseob accompanied Gi Kwang to the Admissions to get some of his papers done.  He was pretty late in his registration but good thing he still made it. Gi Kwang said he just returned from his vacation in the US, visiting his cousin and Aunt.

They were in his favorite coffee shop. Gi Kwang was still in the line waiting for their order.

“Thanks a lot Yoseob. I thought I wouldn’t make it in time for the admission”, said Gi Kwang as he placed their coffee cups on the table.

“Honestly. What are those for?”, he asked as he pointed the muscles on Gi Kwang ‘s body.

“What do you mean?”

“You have a lot of those ,”  pointing at this muscles again, “Yet you can’t get your way out of those girls?

“Hey. I don’t hurt women, I love women. In fact, the reason I have these  is for them- as an eye candy. And besides, the only way I can get out of that place is fight my way through, but then again, I might end up hurting them unintentionally.”

“That’s not what I mean, pabo. I meant, can’t you say NO? Like “ No, I’m in a hurry, bully me next time”?

“Then I would be hurting them emotionally.  If I said NO, I’d hurt their feelings. “

“HA! Aren’t you sweet?” said Yoseob in a tone obviously glazed with sarcasm.

They talked about a lot of things. The simple conversation turned to a chaotic laughing coupled with clapping of hands and pounding of the table.  They were both laughing so hard one would think they had a bottle of soju not a cup of coffee.  From afar, they both looked like idiots to the rest of the world.

It’s almost late in the afternoon when they decided to go home.

“It was really nice to see you again, Gi Kwang”.

“It was fun to see you, too.”

“So where are you heading now?”

“Going home, I guess.”

“Are you kidding, that’s over an hour drive from here.”

Gi Kwang pouted. “Actually, I’ve been trying to look for a place nearby, somewhere convenient. Though I don’t consider staying in dormitories, they tend to have a lot of rules. I just want a place to stay and let me live how I want to. You know… “

Yoseob considered this for a moment. Of course he knew exactly where that place is. But…”Are you sure your mom won’t mind you staying out of your house?”

“Are you serious? I don’t think she’d even recognize the difference if I was there or not.”

Yoseob laughed softly. “You can stay at my place. It’s not mine though, but the landlord’s pretty cool. No rules, can bring girls, can bring booze, but just clean your own mess.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“ There’s another thing that you should know about my landlord.”

Yoseob looked down as if he was embarrassed. Gi Kwang just waited for him to speak again.

Yoseob huffed before saying, “You see, you have to make yourself special. Or better yet, you have to make my landlord feel special. Like, I know I was accepted there because he had no choice. I was the first one to rent. The other guy renting the room Jun Hyung was not supposed to be accepted but he’s good at cleaning and cooking. You understand what I’m trying to say here?”

“Well…I know how to sing. I can teach him that.”

“He doesn’t need that. He knows how to sing.”

“I’m very good at dancing.”

“He knows that, too.”

Gi Kwang paused for a while before saying, “Our family owns a famous workout club. I can sign him up for free membership, VIP treatment to boot.”

“Perfect. Come with me.” They walked out of the coffee house and started their way down the street.