The Arrival of the Joker

Prologue

 

It has been a week since Yoseob transferred to his house, and more specifically, to his room. He found out he is indeed a very pleasant guy. Since they go to the same school, they became friends really easily. They have a lot in common which makes a week of knowing him feels like months already.

It was a Saturday, the two of them were having breakfast while watching a soccer game when the doorbell rang. Yoseob opened the door to see who it was.

 A man in red hair wearing shades  was looking at him. “I’m looking for the owner of this house? Are you the owner?”, he said nonchalantly.

“No. But I’ll get him for you.” Then Yoseob his heels and went back to where Doojoon was.

“Doojoon, some seemingly bored guy was looking for you. He looks drunk but he does not smell of beer or soju, though.”

Doojoon wrinkled his brow trying to recall anyone he knew who might match Yoseob’s description of the stranger outside his house. “Alright, I got it. Thanks.”

When he opened the door, he found the guy leaning near the doorframe. The guy was oozing with so much confidence.  He just looked up at him and asked in a bored tone, “Are you the owner?”

“Yes.” Doojoon studied the man carefully. This one’s different from Yoseob, As much as he wanted someone to rent a room in his house, he would at least choose one they can easily get along with. This one does not seem to fit the bill.

“Actually, there’s already someone renting the room. Sorry.” He lied.

“300,00 won. I know how to cook and I certainly know how to clean.”

“Then welcome aboard! I’m Yoon Doojoon, the owner of this house.” Uh huh. That’s how badly I want to be in that Cruise.

I just need to see your ID for security purposes”.

“Yong Jun Hyung, 2nd year in the University,” he said as he reached out his ID to him.

“Nice to meet you man, come in. This is Yoseob, you met him, right? He just entered the University.”

Jun Hyung strutted his way to the living room.

Then Doojoon turned to Yoseob.” Yoseob, he’s in the same school.”

“O jincha?!” Yoseob looked surprised but he was happy nonetheless. A smile crossed his lips as he shared a handshake with the new guy.

“When are you planning to move in?”, asked Yoseob, pointing the nearest couch to Jun Hyung signaling him to take a seat.

“Well, I don’t have that much stuff so I can go get all my things tomorrow.” Jun Hyung said while letting his eyes wander around his new found home.

The kitchen is located at the right side of the house. There’s a gas stove, microwave, coffeemaker, blender and an actually huge refrigerator. Wow, this Doojoon guy must be pretty well-off. The kitchen counter was quite messy, though. But wait till you see the kitchen sink, plates and pans were left unwashed for god-knows-how-long. He shook his head. These guys are filthy.

Doojoon actually managed to get a flatscreen TV. He continued to look around and found an Xbox. The couch set is pretty comfortable except the fact that… Jun Hyung fidgeted a little when he noticed he was sitting at something. He checked his seat and there were popcorn pieces all over it. Some were almost hidden under the throw pillows. You must be kidding me. Is this a house or a pigsty?

He looked at the two guys sitting across him, watching them with his disgusted face. He closed his eyes as if he was trying to repel the incoming nightmares ahead of him.

“Doojoon, can I see the bedrooms?”

“Sure.” He said but tapped Yoseob’s shoulder as he focused on the soccer game he was watching.

Yoseob walked Jun Hyung to the two vacant rooms.  The rooms looked disheveled but from the looks of it, a little bit of cleaning is all he needs to make this room homey. He likes the house. It’s untidy alright, but the place is good. Doojoon seems nice and the location is very convenient and the fact that the rent is cheaper than the others. As much as he hates the mess, he likes to live in this house.

“You decided which room you want?”, asked Doojoon.

“Yeah, I’ll take the room on the left. Where can I possibly put all those boxes?”

“I’ll help you with that. We can put them in the garage. I have a two-car garage, by the way. Just in case you have a car. But I will have to ask you an extra pay for that, of course.”

Jun Hyung smirked. “You’re gonna make a good landlord. You have to consider that as a second career option.

Yoseob laughed at his remark. Doojoon looked up and chuckled. “Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.”

“You won’t mind if I buy some stuff for my bedroom, will you?”

“Nah. You can fill it up with teddy bears and pikachus if you want, just to make the room a little homey.”

They all burst out laughing.

Doojoon realized that Jun Hyung, like Yoseob, is a pleasant guy as well. He had to remind himself next time that looks can be pretty deceiving and first impressions never seem to last.

True enough, Jun Hyung is a good cook. He reminded him sometimes of his mom whenever he’s doing the cooking with his apron on. It made Doojoon laughed so much on the inside. Yoseob and Jun Hyung may seem very different but they sure would make a good team especially in cleaning. Doojoon couldn’t ask for more from these two boys.